PDA

View Full Version : I won't be going to Bangkok :(

camperboy
April 7th, 2010, 10:32
:crybaby: :crybaby:

After much persuasion from a special someone, I finally relented and decided not to go to Bangkok at this moment. :dontknow:

Why why why do they have to be violent! :protest: :protest: Is the situation that bad now?

I do not want to let go of my flight tickets just yet! I am still hoping for a miracle :thumbleft: :sunny:

Please wait for me Tawan MEN!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

:sign5: :sign5:

If only I can bring them here............ :8( :8(

travelerjim
April 7th, 2010, 11:12
Oh Camperboy...

Forget that someone special...whomever... :glasses7:
(he) may have special plans of his own for Songkran...

Come on over...the water 's fine ..and enjoy... :hello2:
the Reds, Blues, Yellows, and Farangs too... :boxing:
Songkran and politics will find a way to mix well...

and most importantly...
The MEN at Tawan are waiting for U " :love4:

tj

anakot
April 7th, 2010, 12:17

After much persuasion from a special someone, I finally relented and decided not to go to Bangkok at this moment. :dontknow:

Why why why do they have to be violent! :protest: :protest: Is the situation that bad now?

I do not want to let go of my flight tickets just yet! I am still hoping for a miracle :thumbleft: :sunny:

I'm also waiting for things to quieten. I was caught for a couple of weeks when the Yellow Shirts blockaded the airport. While I don't think there is any personal danger if you keep away from the areas occupied it is just a turn off.

I do think the way Ab Vej is handling things is the right way to go. Just waiting now to see who blinks first.

TrongpaiExpat
April 7th, 2010, 12:46
If I did not live in Bangkok and I were to only read the Post and Nation and the odd international press report, I would also be concerned about my safely in Bangkok. I have been the middle of these events in Bangkok about half a dozen times in the past few weeks, mostly by chance. It's a lot of noise, waving and Isaan music. Even at their present encampment at the Rajprasong intersection, you can glide over them on the BTS with no problem. They are leaving the MRT and BTS alone, so far. I take the BTS/MRT every day and have never seen a Red protester on board. The only inconvenience is the traffic jams. Taxis drivers keep abreast of where they are causing jams and can reroute you or tell you to forget it.

What will happen, I don't know. Will it get violent, I don't know but doubt it but if it does you would have to go looking for trouble to get in trouble.

April 7th, 2010, 12:58

PATTAYA IS MOST VIOLENT PLACE IN THAILAND

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/t/category/pattaya-news/

you come bangkok no problem
it is walk in lumpini park

camperboy
April 7th, 2010, 15:23
:boxing: :boxing: I need TAWAN I NEED TAWAN!! :protest: :protest:

So its not that violent yet eh?

Cause the news seemed to be...quite scary.

I really do not want to be stuck....sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

pong
April 7th, 2010, 16:46
Tr-pai is right-execpt [alas) for the Look Thoong (Isan style music)-I left BKK now 2 weeks ago-and the last 10 days or so sat right beside the then red demo-site at Ratchdamnern-24 hours of fuming speakers, very bad beatbands (apparently to keep up the spirits and showing support) at 3.00/night-and all at superloud volume. Every now and then the pickups and motosys with rerd-flag waving. Most irritating was that incessant fuming of former communists (still with mao caps and jackets) in the microfones. No violence at all. No cute Isan-boys either-their 2/500 bt/day pay probably not enough.
Never ever seen a real demo in your country?
But I assume tr-pai, probably being of latin-european descent, must be used to much more loud and demanding demonstartions cum strikes (is paraklyzing a national rail system not equievalent to closing some airport?) in his home country.

anakot
April 7th, 2010, 18:27
If I did not live in Bangkok and I were to only read the Post and Nation and the odd international press report, I would also be concerned about my safely in Bangkok. I have been the middle of these events in Bangkok about half a dozen times in the past few weeks, mostly by chance. It's a lot of noise, waving and Isaan music. Even at their present encampment at the Rajprasong intersection, you can glide over them on the BTS with no problem. They are leaving the MRT and BTS alone, so far. I take the BTS/MRT every day and have never seen a Red protester on board. The only inconvenience is the traffic jams. Taxis drivers keep abreast of where they are causing jams and can reroute you or tell you to forget it.

What will happen, I don't know. Will it get violent, I don't know but doubt it but if it does you would have to go looking for trouble to get in trouble.

Well I read all of the above and I am not concerned about my safety at all. None of these people give a fuck about tourists or farang residents. The concern is not about safety BUT getting stuck in BKK. I was 'stuck' there during the airport blockade by the Y Shirts. Made an abortive trip to Utapao etc etc. until I realised there was no way out. Being stuck anywhere is an absolute pain in the arse, regardless of the politiking etc etc.

a447
April 7th, 2010, 18:32
I've been getting in amonsgst them all outside of Central World. Great chance for me to practise my Thai. Fun, festival atmosphere with lots of singing and dancing. Someone handed me a red clapper and suddenly I was mobbed by reds wanting their photo with me. I was also offered food and iced water. At present, there is no violence, just funb times. I was also on the spot yesterday in Silom. Scarey at first when the soldiers crosed the intersection in front of the Reds. Lots of jers went up as army vehicles came around the corner from Rama 4 and into Silom Rd. But the forces withdrew and the parade went on in peace. Some guys in a tuktuk asked me to climb aboard, but I thought it best not to.

Beachlover
April 7th, 2010, 19:08
Camperboy, just go and have fun, instead if sitting about moping. Your friend is overly cautious as most Singaporeans are.

What's the worst that could reasonably happen? You're only a short hop from Singapore. I mean, you could even get a bus or train back to Singapore from Bangkok.

April 7th, 2010, 19:14
Beachlover is right Camperboy, just go and enjoy yourself and also listen to those that live in Bangkok who have probably experienced more political demonstrations than any where else in the world. Go and you will be really pleased that you did..........

April 7th, 2010, 20:14

Are Beechlover anf Sanook willing to quarantee your saftey Camperboy? Are they willing put up their bedpans to protect you? :dontknow:

April 7th, 2010, 20:41
Are Beechlover anf Sanook willing to quarantee your saftey Camperboy? Are they willing put up their bedpans to protect you? :dontknow:

'hereforme' don't you think that if you want to be funny try typing when you are not tanked up with your combination of drugs and booze. You might then manage a sentence without mistakes!

Camperboy has quite rightly asked for advice, but as always all you are capable of doing is trying to slang off posters thinking that you are funny. Sad very, very sad.......

Who is this very strange man? :dontknow: Perhaps he was once a teacher....Nah.. obviously not bright enough.

krobbie
April 8th, 2010, 02:38
I do hope things calm down over the month as I am booked to fly in on May 7. Don't need the aggravation.

Seems like it is all coming to a head. I read online last night that the Reds had taken control of some strategic place by scaling the fence. The gloves are off now as a law was passed yesterday to arrest the leaders for incitement. Fair enough.

We shall se what happens over the next few days. My boyfriend takes great care getting to work in Sukhumvit. He said the BTS is so packed and you even have to queue for quite a while sometimes to buy a ticket and then when everyone gets on it is jam packed.

I will be the in May no matter. I think a nice quiet sojourn to Kanchanaburi is in order for a few days.

Cheers
krobbie

colmx
April 8th, 2010, 03:41
I fly to LOS tomorrow
Lots of people trying to tell me not to go... but nothings gonna hold me back!*

(*unless my boss threatens to sack me... or parents dis-inheirit me if i go!)

April 8th, 2010, 04:29
Well, the yellowshirts supports the military so no wonder they did nothing when they blocked the airports. This time I think the police/military will take action if something like that happen.

I will leave later today. Only transfer in BKK on my way to Phuket this time. Many of my friends also ask me if I should really go there now but think these kind of things sounds more dangerous then they are when media reports about it.

goji
April 8th, 2010, 04:59
I would go.

Bangkok seems to have lots protests which are easily avoided. It is not like going to Afghanistan.

April 8th, 2010, 05:29

'hereforme' don't you think that if you want to be funny try typing when you are not tanked up with your combination of drugs and booze. You might then manage a sentence without mistakes!

Camperboy has quite rightly asked for advice, but as always all you are capable of doing is trying to slang off posters thinking that you are funny. Sad very, very sad.......

Sannok if you are timely enough NHS may be able to fit you in for a BRAIN SCAN........Timming is everything! :hello2:

April 8th, 2010, 05:58

I received a PM stating that you were ranked very high in your need to cope with you poblems stemming from accute depression...We all wish you the best! And will keep preying for you!

April 8th, 2010, 06:03
It is not like going to Afghanistan.
[X] Or like going to Iraq: http://jameswagner.com/images/Lucian_Re ... q-2006.jpg (http://jameswagner.com/images/Lucian_Read_american-soldier-ramadi-wounded-by-ied-iraq-2006.jpg)

http://www.lucianread.com/ramadi.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/apr/0 ... limbs-rise (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/apr/04/british-troops-losing-limbs-rise)

http://www.collateralmurder.com

camperboy
April 8th, 2010, 09:55
No fighting please people :crybaby:

Anyway, yeah, was trying to comfort myself, until i saw the news that a state of emergency has been issued. Now I really can't go! :idea: :idea:

As I will be going alone, lots of people do not trust me being there in solitude in Bangkok. Hence I guess I really have to cancel this trip. Arrghhh!!

Hopefully, after this "aftermath" budget airlines here will have good deals to fly to BKK! :occasion9: :occasion9:

Then its TAWAN TIME!!!!!!!!! :sex: :sex: :sex:

Oh well, like someone said, its not so much of the protesting that I am concerned about. It is about being stuck in situations that I do not want to be in. Especially in a country that i am not familiar with except The Bar. lolxx

I hope this state of emergency won't evolved into violence. Would be sad to see that happening.

April 8th, 2010, 14:30
I do hope things calm down over the month as I am booked to fly in on May 7. Don't need the aggravation.

Seems like it is all coming to a head. I read online last night that the Reds had taken control of some strategic place by scaling the fence. As far as I can tell it won't really end until "you know who" dies; all of this is just posturing around the succession.

April 8th, 2010, 14:53

Seems like it is all coming to a head. I read online last night that the Reds had taken control of some strategic place by scaling the fence. As far as I can tell it won't really end until "you know who" dies; all of this is just posturing around the succession.

As a journalist, you should know a bit more than that.

anakot
April 8th, 2010, 19:53

Anyway, yeah, was trying to comfort myself, until i saw the news that a state of emergency has been issued. Now I really can't go! :idea: :idea:

As I will be going alone, lots of people do not trust me being there in solitude in Bangkok. Hence I guess I really have to cancel this trip. Arrghhh!!

Hopefully, after this "aftermath" budget airlines here will have good deals to fly to BKK! :occasion9: :occasion9:

Then its TAWAN TIME!!!!!!!!! :sex: :sex: :sex:

Oh well, like someone said, its not so much of the protesting that I am concerned about. It is about being stuck in situations that I do not want to be in. Especially in a country that i am not familiar with except The Bar. lolxx

I hope this state of emergency won't evolved into violence. Would be sad to see that happening.

Mr camperboy
Very sensible decision. I think travel insurances are not valid now that the state of emergency has been issued. Certainly the Travel Agents here in Hong Kong have issued that warning and postponed all tours until next Wed at the earliest. The will review on Monday. This stops 400 planned HK visitors. The 4000 currently in LOS are being offered fast track home.

Lets hope the rally planned for tomorrow is a fizzer and they all go back home to celebrate Songkhran with their rellies.

re: your warning about squabbling queens on SGF. Save your breath dear.

Beachlover
April 8th, 2010, 20:56
---

Dude, what are you, 12? You're an adult, I assume. Why do you need other people to "trust you". You just need to trust yourself.

Really just go. Take a chance. Have fun. If it's important to you.

You Singaporeans live in too much of a sterile environment... afraid to step out.

If I was living such a short distance from Bangkok I'd visit every second weekend!

Beachlover
April 8th, 2010, 21:01
Actually, when were you planning to visit anyway? If your planned dates are right now then maybe wait a few days and see how it pans out, now that the SOE has been declared. Can you get your flight fare refunded now that the SOE has been declared?

Good point from Anakot. Check your travel insurance is still valid if you go.

April 8th, 2010, 21:11
The concern is not about safety BUT getting stuck in BKK.

My flight is tomorrow--I'm coming to Pattaya for a week. Six months ago I was concerned about how the traffic might be over the holiday...now politics are more pressing. As long as it stays in Bangkok and away from the airport then I should be fine.

Beachlover
April 8th, 2010, 21:21

That's true... but hey, worst case scenario, you have a good reason to stay in Bangkok for a few extra days or weeks!

Hey, I'm curious. When the airport was shut down, I heard in the news the Thai Government announced it would be compensating each stranded tourist by a certain amount daily to pay for accommodation and food. Did this ever happen and how was it done? Did anyone here go through that?

April 8th, 2010, 21:59

That's true... but hey, worst case scenario, you have a good reason to stay in Bangkok for a few extra days or weeks!

Hey, I'm curious. When the airport was shut down, I heard in the news the Thai Government announced it would be compensating each stranded tourist by a certain amount daily to pay for accommodation and food. Did this ever happen and how was it done? Did anyone here go through that?

Great idea!....Why don't you go to BKK and give us a first hand account! :idea:

krobbie
April 9th, 2010, 02:27
Okay, now we have a SOE to contend with. Songkran starts on Tuesday but the government has decided Monday also holiday, so I think we will see a final push today (Friday) before many start their trek back ti Isaan for the festivities.

My big hope is that violence does not erupt today as the government and the army just can't continue to stand around and let it happen because "the world" is watching and the US has urged that there be no violence against the protesters. I think it may be today we see some strong arming from both sides.

Have just called my agent just to check all is still on for May 7. I am traveling Thai direct from Auckland so it's unlikely their schedule will change in the short term.

Chok dee to all those traveling to LOS. Enjoy and be vigilant,
krobbie

goji
April 9th, 2010, 02:57
If BKK airport shuts, you travel overland to Cambodia or Malaysia & then fly out.

anakot
April 9th, 2010, 13:28

After an abortive trip to Utapao Airport (near PTYA) after my scheduled stay and then some, I checked back into my BKK El Cheapo. At the time I thought the allowance of 2000 baht/day only covered the room rate. At check out some days later may be 10, can't remember, they added up the bill and I was not charged anything at all. Whether they ever got any cash back who knows. All room charges, laundry, room service etc. free of charge. Pity we can't charge other activities to our hotel bills but then the local boys haven't got pockets big enough to carry an EFTPOS machine in them...

April 9th, 2010, 16:14
If BKK airport shuts, you travel overland to Cambodia or Malaysia & then fly out.

Or, just charter an aircraft to Singapore or KL if you are really, really in a rush.

April 10th, 2010, 04:58
Okay, now we have a SOE to contend with. Songkran starts on Tuesday but the government has decided Monday also holiday, so I think we will see a final push today (Friday) before many start their trek back ti Isaan for the festivities.The final push Friday didn't happen. Are you expecting a "Tiananmen Square" type of event?

April 10th, 2010, 22:52
No, it is happening today (now) instead - and krobbie's fears are becoming a reality. As usual, nobody wins in these circumstances.

April 10th, 2010, 23:03
The law abiding people of Thailand -- those who are not participating in these thug-like shenanigans -- win.

They get their city back.

krobbie
April 11th, 2010, 05:01
The law abiding people of Thailand -- those who are not participating in these thug-like shenanigans -- win.

They get their city back.

At this point in time nobody wins. The rallies are still on and now we have deaths and many injured. I can't see an end to it . I really did think that today (Sunday) people would start drifting back to their homes to enjoy Songkran but I have underestimated the hard liners among the Red Shirts. I have a bad feeling in my stomach (maybe just gas) that this is a trip to nowhere very good.

All I can do is watch to updates on the Nation website and blow by blow on ThaiVisa.

To all the expats there ... be vigilant and stay safe.
Krobbie

April 11th, 2010, 05:32
Krobbie
a tad melodramatic, dear

April 11th, 2010, 05:40
The law abiding people of Thailand -- those who are not participating in these thug-like shenanigans -- win. They get their city back.I wonder if the law abiding people of the Philippines, Manila in particular, felt the same way during the Eighties?

anakot
April 11th, 2010, 05:46
Krobbie
a tad melodramatic, dear

15 dead and 698 injured, the worst violence in 20 years...

Krobbie's advice is quite sound.

paperboy
April 11th, 2010, 07:00
been watching this on spanish news and the bbc web site
very frighting for somebody like me.
im not booked until may 26, but if this continuies i will not go
simple, not putting my holiday or life in danger
will go else where

paperboy

yedo111
April 11th, 2010, 08:28
This is not good , I have friends in Chiang Mai going to Bangkok on Tuesday and what will happen next week ? :pale:

People are dying , even a japanese journalist was killed tonight .

Lets hope it will calm down before Songkran.

krobbie
April 11th, 2010, 10:35
Krobbie
a tad melodramatic, dear

You were saying? Obviously some of us are more attuned to what is going on in Thailand than others, albeit from afar. I will still be leaving for BKK on May 7.

krobbie

April 11th, 2010, 11:09

You mean big sissies?

When people not involved in the clashes start getting killed...that's when it's time to start worrying.

Smiles
April 11th, 2010, 11:12
been watching this on spanish news and the bbc web site. very frighting for somebody like me.
You mean big sissies?
When people not involved in the clashes start getting killed...that's when it's time to start worrying.
Happening now ... at least 24 killed so far, overnight.

April 11th, 2010, 11:17
been watching this on spanish news and the bbc web site. very frighting for somebody like me.
You mean big sissies?
Happening now ... at least 24 killed so far, overnight.

You mean people died who were neither troops or red shirts, and not involved in the protests? Oh, really?

Smiles
April 11th, 2010, 11:34
" ... You mean people died who were neither troops or red shirts, and not involved in the protests? Oh, really? ... "
Touche. Misread. Really.

krobbie
April 11th, 2010, 11:54
"18 dead including 14 civilians, 4 soldiers and 825 injured in bloody clashes"

I guess that's an easy mistake Smiles, given that these trouble makers are called civilians and not what they really are. I am not saying that their grievances don't have some merit but I thought they said their party (UDD) was all about democracy? Funny way of showing it. In 9 months they get to vote, surely that is the time to have your say. At least that how it goes in the democracy I live in.

Let's face it. Not all the people are happy all the time but this is not how to achieve your goals. :violent1: IMHO.

krobbie

Beachlover
April 11th, 2010, 12:56
I think it's just soldiers, protesters and a journalist so far. Not civilians who stay away from the action. As long as you don't get a situation where someone is innocently standing on, say Silom Road where it's nice and quiet, then suddenly a rampaging mob charges through and he gets killed by soldiers chasing them... I would say it's semi-ok to be in Bangkok.

For the soldiers, it sucks they are getting killed and injured by their own countrymen. They're just doing their job. I heard the protesters lit a gas tank, rolled it at a line of soldiers and something like 50 of them were injured in the resulting blast... christ.

As for the protesters, if you're going to be in a mob that's killing, maiming and injuring soldiers, I guess you should be prepared to receive lethal force.

Beachlover
April 11th, 2010, 12:58
they said their party (UDD) was all about democracy? Funny way of showing it. In 9 months they get to vote, surely that is the time to have your say.

Really?... Then why do all this now? Why not wait 9 months?

I haven't followed the whole thing very closely so forgive my ignorance.

cdnmatt
April 11th, 2010, 14:12
they said their party (UDD) was all about democracy? Funny way of showing it. In 9 months they get to vote, surely that is the time to have your say.

Really?... Then why do all this now? Why not wait 9 months?

I haven't followed the whole thing very closely so forgive my ignorance.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that Abhisit came to power via a parlimentary vote, instead of a general election. He went in with the promise of making modifications to the constitution, so they could do the whole democratic thing and hold free & fair elections. It's been six months now, no modifications to the constitution have been made yet, so now the red shirts have grown impatient and pissed off.

Geez, six months only? I thought he was in power longer than that. The red shirts should learn to have a little more patience. But also, Abhisit has power until Dec 2011, and legally, doesn't have to hold elections until then. There's no promise of elections being held in 9 months from now.

April 11th, 2010, 14:32
If you know about and study Thai Political History going back to around the Thammasat Uni Massacre in 1973 which was one of the bloodiest of them all

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_ ... r_protests (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University#Bloody_October_protests))

you will see that these demo's crop up every so often along with the regular coups. Democracy in Thailand, compared to some other countries is still relatively new, but still very volatile.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... since_1973 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Thailand_since_1973))

I would suspect that if the present demo's really get out of hand then Prem and H.M. will step in as they did in the early 1990's.

April 11th, 2010, 18:15

WHO IS THIS VERY STRANGE MAN :dontknow:

paperboy
April 11th, 2010, 18:21

You mean big sissies?

are you calling me a big sissie because i dont want a holiday ruined or even killed in thailand.
you need to sort your head out you nutter

paperboy

Irish1972
April 11th, 2010, 18:44
My understanding at this moment in time is this:

1. BKK is where 95% of the problem is, at the moment

2. The airport is secured by the army

3. Pattaya, Phuket and Koh Samui are free of demonstrations

4. Chiang Mai is the only other tourist destination where I have heard of any protests and for obvious reasons this is to be expected.

I am in little doubt that there will, in the years ahead, be a major problem in Thailand, I just dont think that time is now.

Go, stay out of BKK and enjoy your holiday

Beachlover
April 11th, 2010, 18:45
Equilizer... how long do you think it will be before a photo of your body appears on the home page of Pattaya People with the headline,"American's Body Found Rotting With Maggots After Two Weeks Missing: Believed To Have Overdosed on Prescription Drugs"

April 11th, 2010, 18:58
Equilizer... how long do you think it will be before a photo of your body appears on the home page of Pattaya People with the headline,"American's Body Found Rotting With Maggots After Two Weeks Missing: Believed To Have Overdosed on Prescription Drugs"

Actually Beachlover from what I have been told and observed 'hereforme' aka 'The Equalizer' ( who's real identity we now all know but won't print it openly as it is against forum policy) might not get to overdose. He is also known to mistreat the Thai boys as well as passing farangs so he wouldn't be the first or the last farang in Pattaya to suffer at the hands of a, or some local Thais.

paperboy
April 11th, 2010, 19:07
here we go
hand bags at the ready again

Beachlover
April 11th, 2010, 19:15
Actually Beachlover from what I have been told and observed 'hereforme' aka 'The Equalizer' ( who's real identity we now all know but won't print it openly as it is against forum policy) might not get to overdose. He is also known to mistreat the Thai boys as well as passing farangs so he wouldn't be the first or the last farang in Pattaya to suffer at the hands of a, or some local Thais.

We could take bet on a few things about Equalizer, Sanook!

- Is his death caused other parties or by self?

- Is his death caused by Farang or Thai?

- Does he make it past June or dies before?

- Will photos of his dead body posted by Pattaya People or Pattaya Daily websites first?

- Will his body be decaying for shorter or longer than 5 days before being found?

Ok, this is getting a bit morbid, but yeah, Equalizer, you get the idea right? Either the drug abuse or your treatment of others will kill you eventually. Get help.

April 11th, 2010, 19:48

We could take bet on a few things about Equalizer, Sanook!

- Is his death caused other parties or by self?

- Is his death caused by Farang or Thai?

- Does he make it past June or dies before?

- Will photos of his dead body posted by Pattaya People or Pattaya Daily websites first?

- Will his body be decaying for shorter or longer than 5 days before being found?

Ok, this is getting a bit morbid, but yeah, Equalizer, you get the idea right? Either the drug abuse or your treatment of others will kill you eventually. Get help.

Wow! Thanks...when underlings like you put me on a pedistal! :headbang:

April 11th, 2010, 20:10
Reliable sources have informed us that 'hereforme' aka 'The Equalizer' is mixing the following medication with alcohol so this little snippet of a medical report is well worth a read and might well explain his unstable mental state:

Xanax and Alcohol Side Effects:

Drinking alcohol while taking Xanax may increase your risk of certain Xanax side effects, such as:

тАвDrowsiness
тАвDizziness
тАвProblems with coordination
тАвUnusual behavior
тАвMemory problems.

Xanax is approved to treat anxiety and panic disorder. Generally, it is best for people with mental illnesses (such as anxiety) to avoid drinking alcohol.

Alcohol may worsen mental illness when taken with Xanax and is often a form of "self-medication." Additionally, people with an alcohol abuse problem may be more likely to abuse Xanax.

Enough said chaps!

elephantspike
April 11th, 2010, 20:13
There's been at least one non-red-shirt civillian killed so far:

[youtube:2mccicbb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dLMdFdiyAE[/youtube:2mccicbb]

Beachlover
April 11th, 2010, 20:19
Are you referring to the Japanese Cameraman? I wouldn't consider him a "non-participant". He deliberately went in there to film the event. RIP. Very sad.

It's when "non-participants" starting getting hurt that the rest of us should worry.

April 11th, 2010, 20:24
Reliable sources have informed us that 'hereforme' aka 'The Equalizer' is mixing the following medication with alcohol so this little snippet of a medical report is well worth a read and might well explain his unstable mental state:

Xanax and Alcohol Side Effects:

Drinking alcohol while taking Xanax may increase your risk of certain Xanax side effects, such as:

тАвDrowsiness
тАвDizziness
тАвProblems with coordination
тАвUnusual behavior
тАвMemory problems.

Xanax is approved to treat anxiety and panic disorder. Generally, it is best for people with mental illnesse(such as anxiety) to avoid drinking alcoh

Alcohol may worsen mental illness when taken with Xanax and is often a form of "self-medication." Additionally, people with an alcohol abuse problem may be more likely to abuse Xanax.

Enough said chaps!

Sanook I see you still have not sought help for your condition! WHAT ARE YOU WAING FOR ? :dontknow:

April 11th, 2010, 20:25
Are you referring to the Japanese Cameraman? I wouldn't consider him a "non-participant". He deliberately went in there to film the event. RIP. Very sad.

It's when "non-participants" starting getting hurt that the rest of us should worry.

Yes it's sad, but news reports also have said that the Japanese guy was wearing a 'red shirt' similar to the protesters and was right in amongst the riots, not that that justifies a death.

Beachlover
April 11th, 2010, 20:29
Guess he took a risk being in the riot to film... but yeah, wearing a red shirt. Not a good idea. Maybe he didn't realise it.

April 11th, 2010, 20:32
Sanook I would like to say that now in your time of need...We are with you! :hello2:

April 11th, 2010, 21:02
I invite any readers who like/love/in any way approve of people such as Equalizer to post their support.

April 11th, 2010, 21:21
"A star is born"

April 11th, 2010, 22:20
are you calling me a big sissie because i dont want a holiday ruined or even killed in thailand.
you need to sort your head out you nutter

paperboy

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying. There is a ZERO chance of your getting killed in the protests if you don't participate in them. And there is ZERO chance of having your holiday "ruined" if you don't go near them.

April 11th, 2010, 22:40
there is ZERO chance of having your holiday "ruined" if you don't go near them.

So far it has been contained to Bangkok, although I must admit to avoiding a couple of colors in my wardrobe. I came straight to Pattaya from the airport and so far this trip has gone smoother than the first.

April 11th, 2010, 22:45
there is ZERO chance of having your holiday "ruined" if you don't go near them.

So far it has been contained to Bangkok, although I must admit to avoiding a couple of colors in my wardrobe. I came straight to Pattaya from the airport and so far this trip has gone smoother than the first.

It is not just "contained to Bangkok". It is contained to the protest sites.

April 11th, 2010, 22:53

Are their protest sites outside of Bangkok or are you just being an ass?

cdnmatt
April 11th, 2010, 23:00

Yep. They even took over Chiang Mai city hall for a bit.

Not sure about today, but I know they were pretty pissed off outside of Khon Kaen's city hall yesterday. I would imagine the same goes for pretty near every city in Issan.

April 11th, 2010, 23:02

No, I am simply pointing out that all of Bangkok is not a war zone, as might be implied by a statement such as "the problem is contained to Bangkok".

It is actually limited to a very specific, very easily avoided protest area. Life outside of those small areas are nearly completely unaffected. And completely safe.

PS: do you have to be so rude?

April 11th, 2010, 23:05
I think it's just soldiers, protesters and a journalist so far. Not civilians who stay away from the action. As long as you don't get a situation where someone is innocently standing on, say Silom Road where it's nice and quiet, then suddenly a rampaging mob charges through and he gets killed by soldiers chasing them... I would say it's semi-ok to be in Bangkok.

"just" ??

When the troops are firing live rounds (not blanks) over the protesters heads, (or so they say), then anyone in the area up to around 3 kilometres away could be shot - that's not "semi-ok" with me, and its certainly not "ZERO chance", SS. It happens regularly where "celebrating" involves firing live rounds into the air.

..... and mlomker (long time no see!) there are protest sites outside Bangkok. Pattaya's is located on North Pattaya Road outside City Hall; generally small and loud but peaceful with minimal police presence, they nevertheless closed North Pattaya Road and access to Beach Road from there and from the Big 'C soi for a while last night.

..... oh, and krobbie, although to me the "reds" are no better or worse than the "yellows", it is probably worth mentioning that the offer to hold elections in 9 months only came some time after the protests started.

krobbie
April 12th, 2010, 02:24
..... oh, and krobbie, although to me the "reds" are no better or worse than the "yellows", it is probably worth mentioning that the offer to hold elections in 9 months only came some time after the protests started.

Looks like I need to do a bit more reading. Thanks for that. Now I think of it, the yellows only came in after the airport sit-in. It was about October/November last year. Crikey. As much as I like PM Abhisit, he better get cracking on those reforms.

WEe will see what today brings. It is a holiday (of sorts) in BKK and Songkran starts tomorrow. Hardly a case of "Happy Songkran".

Cheers
Krobbie

April 12th, 2010, 05:15
..... I like PM Abhisit .....

Plenty of farangs seem to - possibly more than the Thais do, in spite of his being the third biggest spender on advertising in Thailand (more even than Toyota). That's a lot of spin!

April 12th, 2010, 06:37
Safe to say I know nothing about Thailand and their uprising. My experience with mobs was at university and when the US was protesting for "peace" during Vietnam, and the action of groups of excited protesters, especially in the proximity of groups with alternate opinions, is so unpredictable it seems consideration of employment in Thailand isn't a great idea. Some people on the ground are probably completely comfortable and probably almost no one gets hurt, but perception is reality, not news or eyewitness reports (this is what I manipulate for a living) and 5 or 6 bad uTube videos and a couple days of social network media and people will think Thailand is having WWIII. Don't know that'll happen -- we have it here in the U.S.

I was in the capitol city of my state during Vietnam & was surprised that so many people found guns. "We" blew up one building, killed about 10-11 students, trashed the downtown completely and scared the hell out of the residents, many who left. I don't know the Thais but I know they are as unpredictable as anyone else, and it does not seem that this fracas even has boundaries yet, let alone clear objectives for mediation.

I don't even know what the battle is about but it is likely no one's going to be going to Thailand for "medical tourism" (I would be going for a related job) but obviously people will be going to India & Malaysia for awhile (med tourism is supposedly a fairly large part of the Thai economy). The Thai economy was already faltering (as is the U.S.) so tourists, medical or not, avoiding a country with a civil disturbance of whatever magnitude would be likely to kill property values, tourist dollars, international business, retail, restaurants, etc. And since Thailand seems in the middle of its disagreement there's no telling what will happen. America is having a much worse political time with an ultra-right wing racist party (Tea Party) making up about 20% of the population and advocating killing most of the federal government and successfully disrupting govt programs, like unemployment, healthcare, senior care, all of which are out of money and the Congress can not contribute more. It all sucks but chances are things will turn out OK at some point; it's what happens after these things. But chances are also it'll be years. Good luck to those in the area and I wish you a better outcome than I see in the U.S. I may try Saudi Arabia.

Beachlover
April 12th, 2010, 18:30
You're going to go and live in Saudi Arabia instead of Thailand just because of this crisis? I think you might want to get your head checked.

Thailand has had this kind of thing happening for many decades now. It fluctuates. Residents and expats just deal with it. Like in California you have to deal with earthquakes.

Don't let it put you off, especially if the alternative is such a hole (come on TOAT/FF... sing it... it's your favourite topic :blackeye: ).

April 12th, 2010, 19:39
You're going to go and live in Saudi Arabia instead of Thailand just because of this crisis? I think you might want to get your head checked.

Thailand has had this kind of thing happening for many decades now. It fluctuates. Residents and expats just deal with it. Like in California you have to deal with earthquakes.

Don't let it put you off, especially if the alternative is such a hole (come on TOAT/FF... sing it... it's your favourite topic :blackeye: ).

Even I agree totally with your comment!

krobbie
April 15th, 2010, 02:21
At present Bangkok is in Hiatus for Songkran, so no crazy buggers running around with guns. Today is the last day of Songkran so we will see what tomorrow brings as this will no doubt colour my holiday. I am pretty sure that the hardliners among the Red Shirts are going to wait it out. Hopefully many will stay at home with their families in Isaan but when there is money on offer to protest, why the heck not? Just where does all this money come from? Okay, I guess it might be from the family of a certain ex PM but I wouldn't want to speculate.

We will see what happens over the weekend. After last Saturday's grim outcome I think the time for playing nice guys is over and when the police come back to play it will be with more purpose. IMO.

CVheers
Krobbie

April 15th, 2010, 03:04
At present Bangkok is in Hiatus for Songkran, so no crazy buggers running around with guns. Today is the last day of Songkran so we will see what tomorrow brings as this will no doubt colour my holiday. I am pretty sure that the hardliners among the Red Shirts are going to wait it out. Hopefully many will stay at home with their families in Isaan but when there is money on offer to protest, why the heck not? Just where does all this money come from? Okay, I guess it might be from the family of a certain ex PM but I wouldn't want to speculate.

We will see what happens over the weekend. After last Saturday's grim outcome I think the time for playing nice guys is over and when the police come back to play it will be with more purpose. IMO.

CVheers
Krobbie

I think it is too late. This time the red shirts learned how to play :idea: The army and police are either unwilling or inept?
Expect PM to resign! Cannot see any oyher option.

April 15th, 2010, 15:15
Did anyone else in Australia see this week's Foreign Correspondent programme? No holds barred.

krobbie
April 15th, 2010, 16:18

CVheers
Krobbie

I think it is too late. This time the red shirts learned how to play :idea: The army and police are either unwilling or inept?
Expect PM to resign! Cannot see any oyher option.

Sadly Equalizer, I suspect in my heart you may be right. My trouble is, I am ever hopeful.

Cheers
Krobbie

allieb
April 15th, 2010, 19:10
Krobie you say when there is money on offer to protest, why the heck not.

Their bodies are for sale so why not their votes indeed

thenorthguy
April 15th, 2010, 20:47
I made the decision to leave a week early.......talking to locals they all say its save.......but i doubt that.......with either side willing to concede defeat.....the word is that after songkran it will be on again......the easy solution here is for the King to step in and clear up the problem......he had done it before.....so why not now......do these people know how much it is costing the economy.......i would suggest not........looking at the protesters camp sites they are probably living better there than in the places at home......free food and water and some money as well......not a bad live style...almost like a holiday.......in the mean time they continue to kill the economy....do they really care I dont thinkso

April 17th, 2010, 10:09
Good article in Aussie newspaper. I suppose this will be sensed as well by the moderaters.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/op ... 5854709804 (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/fatal-attraction-of-taking-power-by-force/story-e6frg6zo-1225854709804)

April 17th, 2010, 11:08
Anybody on this forum actually in BKK now? I am supposed to go there next week and don't know what to do. I was supposed to stay in Sheraton Sukhumvit which is next to Asok BTS. Anybody knows the situation there? My hormones are running high thinking of the massage places there and the bars in Silom but don't want to get in trouble.
Are the bars in Silom open? What is it like there now? I would really appreciate advice from someone who is actually there.
Akin

TrongpaiExpat
April 17th, 2010, 12:01
You'll love the pool at the Grand Sheratan. The Reds Shirts are not at Asoke but have from time to time in the past few weeks paraded up or down Sukhumvit. You don't even have to walk down on the street to get to BTS/MRT from the Sheratan, they have their own sky walk entrance.

I think that there's a pretty good consensus among the Bangkok resident posters that if you don't go looking for trouble you will not get into trouble. The bars and massage venues are not protest sites. If the army does another push I guess it could spill out around the original sites but if you keep up with the news you should get plenty of warning to stay out of the effected areas.

The only inconvenience is possible traffic jams and remember to not take a taxi if the route has to go near or through Ratchadamri. The BTS goes through with no problem. The only time it stopped was during the army action last week and that it did not stay closed very long. MRT closed one station (silom) for a short time.

Songkran went off pretty much as usual at at the usual spots. Lots of forien gay revelers at the usual gay venues but mostly Asian but it's been going that way for several years now in Bangkok.

April 17th, 2010, 13:00
The bars and massage venues are not protest sites.Isn't that because the red shirt power base is Eesarn and that's also where most of the workers in those places come from? They are not going to piss their supporters off by depriving them of an income???

April 17th, 2010, 14:43
Thank you TrongpaiExpat. I really appreciate info from people who are actually on the ground. I guess nobody really knows if things can get bloody again after the weekend. I just hope the protests will not spread to the Asoke BTS area. I don't wanna be stuck in the hotel while I should be out there getting laid.
Anybody else from BKK willing to give some input? I am still quite torn between going or not.

Akin

April 18th, 2010, 00:52
Thank you TrongpaiExpat. I really appreciate info from people who are actually on the ground. I guess nobody really knows if things can get bloody again after the weekend. I just hope the protests will not spread to the Asoke BTS area. I don't wanna be stuck in the hotel while I should be out there getting laid.
Anybody else from BKK willing to give some input? I am still quite torn between going or not.

Akin

Go! Sounds like you have very little to lose.

April 18th, 2010, 03:07
The bars and massage venues are not protest sites.Isn't that because the red shirt power base is Eesarn and that's also where most of the workers in those places come from? They are not going to piss their supporters off by depriving them of an income???

Are you sure you're a journalist? Who do you write for? News of the Dumb?

April 18th, 2010, 03:14

Are you sure you're a journalist? Who do you write for? News of the Dumb?

And Blind!

April 18th, 2010, 05:23
Are you sure you're a journalist? Who do you write for? News of the Dumb?Perhaps you can give us your insights from Singapore then. At least I am on the ground in Bangkok and not an armchair critic sniping from the sidelines.

thrillbill
April 18th, 2010, 09:35
I was out of Thailand for a one week holiday (work in LOS) and the airport is fine. As you know, the Reds have themselves glued to the main shopping/hotel area of Siam Center and may be demostrating in front of the Bangkok Bank in Silom which could cause some problems for walking along Silom street. The Reds won't be taking over the airport-they're too busy downtown making the army and police department look like fools. I don't understand why tourists who have been to Bangkok before don't realize that one is safe as long as they aren 't a stupid "backpacker" joining in the Red Shirts demonstrations. Just stay away from those areas.... Also, just go to Phuket or Pattaya for the gay scene. EASY.
NOTE: Thais who work in Bangkok, (even the ones from Isaan) just want to continue with their lives and find this whole scene as a nuisance. The sad speculation I have on this whole scene is that this will never go away... Once Thailand has another election, some uneducated thug will be voted in. The current PM, Abhisit, is well educated and "international" but isn't groomed for running a Banana Republic. SAD.

April 18th, 2010, 11:00
The sad speculation I have on this whole scene is that this will never go away... Once Thailand has another election, some uneducated thug will be voted in.I would be most interested to hear your list of the uneducated thugs who have previously held the post of Prime Minister of Thailand.

April 18th, 2010, 13:15
Are you sure you're a journalist? Who do you write for? News of the Dumb?Perhaps you can give us your insights from Singapore then. At least I am on the ground in Bangkok and not an armchair critic sniping from the sidelines.

I'm in Bangkok..."on the ground" for over 20 years.

So...tell us who you write for. This should be interesting.

April 18th, 2010, 13:54

So...tell us who you write for. This should be interesting.You call yourself "Singapore Sexpat"? What is your association with Singapore if you have been in Bangkok for "over 20 years"? This should be interesting.

a447
April 18th, 2010, 14:34
Soi twilight and the adjacent gay areas have not been affected by the troubles in any way whatsoever - it's business as usual. The only downside is that if you wish to go shopping at Siam Paragon (a shopping centre for the young and spendy), forget it.

April 18th, 2010, 16:28

So...tell us who you write for. This should be interesting.You call yourself "Singapore Sexpat"? What is your association with Singapore if you have been in Bangkok for "over 20 years"? This should be interesting.

I visit Singapore often; that's all. Was that so interesting?

So, who do you write for? Kindergartner Weekly?

allieb
April 18th, 2010, 18:11
[quote="Singapore Sexpat":3hjahpng]I'm in Bangkok..."on the ground" for over 20 years.

So, who do you write for? Kindergartner Weekly?[/quote:3hjahpng]

20 years in Bangkok and so many visits to Singapore. Time to give the Middle East a try. Saudi Arabia is nice

April 19th, 2010, 02:42

So, who do you write for? Kindergartner Weekly?What we'll do is that I'll show you my press credentials and you'll show me your right of abode in Thailand. That should be really interesting. Where's your nearest Starbucks? What day and time?

TrongpaiExpat
April 19th, 2010, 13:09

So, who do you write for? Kindergartner Weekly?What we'll do is that I'll show you my press credentials and you'll show me your right of abode in Thailand. That should be really interesting. Where's your nearest Starbucks? What day and time?

Oh come on Andrew, Boygeenyus is not going to meet face to face with you or anyone else, he is a troll, get it? He looks for ill conceived comments and you gave him one and he attacked, that's what he does.

April 19th, 2010, 14:39
Oh come on Andrew, Boygeenyus is not going to meet face to face with you or anyone else, he is a troll, get it? He looks for ill conceived comments and you gave him one and he attacked, that's what he does.Who is boygeenyus? Am I missing something here? If you mean Fuck-Face then I sent him a PM a few weeks ago asking for a meeting but it's still sitting in my Outbox. I want to interview him about his life in Bangkok, his "talking boyz" and all that. The guys in our office here were really interested when I showed them a pic someone here had sent me. They all know who he is, say he's "very intelligent, resourceful, extremely well-connected." When I showed them some of his postings in this Board they were very surprised.

TrongpaiExpat
April 19th, 2010, 15:24
Andrew: His original name was Boygeenyus, go back to the old EZ Board and you'll find a few thousand of his posts. Jinks banned him on that board and over the years he returned with many other names and yes, Fuck Face was one. This 'Singapore Sexpat' was an old back up name.

He's not going to meet with you. He may or may not be who he portraits himself to be. But, then again you also may not be who you portray yourself to be either.

April 19th, 2010, 16:14
quote]Who is boygeenyus? Am I missing something here? If you mean Fuck-Face then I sent him a PM a few weeks ago asking for a meeting but it's still sitting in my Outbox. I want to interview him about his life in Bangkok, his "talking boyz" and all that. The guys in our office here were really interested when I showed them a pic someone here had sent me. They all know who he is, say he's "very intelligent, resourceful, extremely well-connected." When I showed them some of his postings in this Board they were very surprised.

Oh come on Andrew if you are a journalist -and the more you post the less I am convinced that you are- then you cannot be so gullible as to think that anyone on this board has a photo of F-F/SS/BB or BG that they then send to you.

It is of course that moron of morons LMTU or any of his other names that always claims' I know who/where you are' 'I have a photo of you' 'I know where you live' and other such puerile crap.

So someone from this forum sends you a photo ( I doubt even that part is true but let me humour you) and all the guys in your office instantly know who he is - I would have thought your journalistic training would have kicked in and raised suspicions as to how authentic the claim that the photo was of FF is likely to be. If you like I can send you a photo of someone and assure you that it is Trongpai and then you can again make an arse of yourself by going down that road.

April 19th, 2010, 17:56
Oh come on Andrew if you are a journalist -and the more you post the less I am convinced that you areOh come on instaly if you are not another posting name for Fuck-Face - and the more you post the less I am convinced that you are.

Beachlover
April 19th, 2010, 19:48
Maybe Andrew is really homintern.... Just putting it out there now.

TrongpaiExpat
April 19th, 2010, 21:29
Could be, Beachlover the ol' boy did like to aggravate Boygeenyus but also possible he's just another anonymous troll knowing that a face to face challenge would never come to fruition with a fellow troll. Unlikely he would offer me the same challenge.

April 19th, 2010, 22:39
Oh come on Andrew if you are a journalist -and the more you post the less I am convinced that you are

Oh come on instaly if you are not another posting name for Fuck-Face - and the more you post the less I am convinced that you are.

Geez I hope you have a good sub-editor if you generally write garbled rubbish like that

April 20th, 2010, 17:42
Hi guys! I will be going to Bangkok for the first time this week. To you it must be a simple question, but how much is a reasonable tip if you take a guy from these go-go bars to the hotel for, say a blowjob?
What about massage - I know they have minimum tips but how much more should you pay if you get a bj and you are happwith the service?

Akin

bao-bao
April 20th, 2010, 21:49
Well, Akin's post puts this one right over the edge, I'd say. Another SGT train wreck. :cheers:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/W-Train_wreck_1895.jpg

April 21st, 2010, 05:41
What did I do? I apologize if my post was inappropriate. I am quite new to this. Just wanted to get some info.

Akin

April 21st, 2010, 14:25
Unlikely he would offer me the same challenge.The reason for that is simple. No-one has ever described you to me as "highly intelligent, resourceful and extremely well-connected".

April 21st, 2010, 20:12
I spotted Andrew as homintern WEEKS ago.

It's quite a long assignment you have in Thailand, eh "Andrew"? Quite unusual for a news agency to invest that kind of money for someone who obviously knows so little.

And, allieb -- as I've said before -- I have traveled all over the Middle East: Dubai, Bahrain, Oman, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, and Morocco. I know more about the Middle East than you know about Thailand, obviously.

April 22nd, 2010, 03:03
I spotted Andrew as homintern WEEKS ago.The "highly intelligent" description I've been given is clearly in doubt.

April 22nd, 2010, 03:12
I spotted Andrew as homintern WEEKS ago.The "highly intelligent" description I've been given is clearly in doubt.

Based on your previous posts Andrew I don't think anyone would describe you as "highly intelligent".

Maybe you intended to write: "The "highly intelligent" description I've been given of you is clearly in doubt?

Sloppy journalism :lam:

April 22nd, 2010, 03:23
Jinks! How long will this MORONIC THREAD be open? :dontknow:

joe552
April 22nd, 2010, 03:57
the thread will be open as long as people keep posting to it - oops, now you have me doing it!

April 22nd, 2010, 04:39

I won't argue with the fact that the description you have been given of me is false -- as you clearly have no idea who I am, nor does any of your so-called "contacts".

I hope whatever piece of "journalism" you're writing is better fact-checked than your efforts here.

April 22nd, 2010, 14:18
1 You think that the only people who know anything of Thailand are those who share your jaundiced opinions and we all know what colour jaundice favours.
2 Your knowledge of journalism must have been gained by association with the conga line of suck holes who make up the editorship of the Thai media.
3 When you have the courage to meet me you will see from my passport that I arrived in Thailand at the beginning of April 2010 so my 30 day visa hasn't even run out yet.
4 Your alter ego instaly is confusing journalism with grammar.

April 22nd, 2010, 14:26
Wait...you're here on a 30-day visa-exempt tourist stay -- but working as a journalist? You do know that's illegal, don't you?

April 22nd, 2010, 14:30

No Andrew I am not the one who is confused. I would have thought that as a courtesy to your readers journalism and good grammar should go hand-in-hand, but obviously you do not consider that to be of any importance.

April 22nd, 2010, 15:11

No Andrew I am not the one who is confused. I would have thought that as a courtesy to your readers journalism and good grammar should go hand-in-hand, but obviously you do not consider that to be of any importance.

Journalists today use SPELL CHECK :idea: If you are still not sure ask sanook....that man knows his grammar!

April 22nd, 2010, 16:15
4 Your alter ego instaly is confusing journalism with grammar.No Andrew I am not the one who is confused. I would have thought that as a courtesy to your readers journalism and good grammar should go hand-in-hand, but obviously you do not consider that to be of any importance.It must be an age thing. Let me spell it out for you. "Journalism" does not only mean print journalism. And to answer Singapore Sexpat's question, yes, I do know it's illegal. The rule of law has no meaning or purpose in Thailand except to line some cop's pocket.

April 22nd, 2010, 18:39
4 Your alter ego instaly is confusing journalism with grammar.No Andrew I am not the one who is confused. I would have thought that as a courtesy to your readers journalism and good grammar should go hand-in-hand, but obviously you do not consider that to be of any importance.It must be an age thing. Let me spell it out for you. "Journalism" does not only mean print journalism. And to answer Singapore Sexpat's question, yes, I do know it's illegal. The rule of law has no meaning or purpose in Thailand except to line some cop's pocket.

Yes even an idiot knows that, or do you?.

But the fact that your were committing your badly thought out claims to a website where your words appear to all intents and purposes 'in print' I would have thought that would mean you would pay the same attention to getting it right as you would if it was going to the printed form.

Little wonder that you decline to name the news paper / agency/ bureau you are working for if you are working in Thailand illegally. It does make your 'holier than thou' attitude look rather condescending. It also does little for your credibilty if your employer is willing to employ illegal workers in the kingdom as it would appear to be an obviously down market 'rag' that is unable to pay for bona-fide journalists.

Beachlover
April 22nd, 2010, 21:01
the conga line of suck holes .

LOL... Definitely homintern!

Well done for quoting this monkey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Latham

April 23rd, 2010, 14:00
What is it about people over 40 that they don't realise that Working Life 2.0 is here? You don't have to be an employer or an employee. There's a whole range of options in between, just as there are options about working "from home", sharing office facilities with people who aren't co-workers and media other than the world of print. Working regulations and visa regulations are for those who stick with nationalism as a concept which is so last millenium. Transnationalism is the future. I'm in Sydney, Bangkok, London NOT Australia, Thailand, Britain. By the way instaly I've been careful not to end any sentences with a preposition (http://grammar.about.com/b/2008/03/26/prepositions-ending-sentences-with.htm) and I'm almost certain I haven't split any infinitives (http://grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/splitinfinitive.htm). Here's hoping you get a life soon. And yes Beachlover well spotted that I filched a phrase from Mark Latham but I don't think that makes me homintern. I suggest to the Mods that they start a new Forum "Which poster is homintern this week?" as it seems to be the most popular topic among the small minds who regularly write here.

April 23rd, 2010, 19:13
By the way instaly I've been careful not to [url=http://grammar.about.com/b/2008/03/26/prepositions-ending-sentences-with.htm]end any sentences with a preposition and I'm almost certain I haven't split any infinitives[

According to the following authoritative resources it would appear that you are living in the past, not a good thing for a so called journalist:

"The only rationale for condemning the [split infinitive] construction is based on a false analogy with Latin. The thinking is that because the Latin infinitive is a single word, the equivalent English construction should be treated as if it were a single unit. But English is not Latin, and distinguished writers have split infinitives without giving it a thought. Noteworthy splitters include John Donne, Daniel Defoe, George Eliot, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, William Wordsworth, and Willa Cather. Still, those who dislike the construction can usually avoid it without difficulty."
(The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition, 2000)

"It seemed that he had caught [the fish] himself, years ago, when he was quite a lad; not by any art or skill, but by that unaccountable luck that appears to always wait upon a boy when he plays the wag from school."
(Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat, 1889)

"Split infinitives have been the cause of much controversy among teachers and grammarians, but the notion that they are ungrammatical is simply a myth: in his famous book Modern English Usage, Henry Fowler listed them among 'superstitions'!"
(AskOxford.com)

It was once a cherished superstition that prepositions must be kept true to their name and placed before the word they govern in spite of the incurable English instinct for putting them late. . . . Those who lay down the universal principle that final prepositions are "inelegant" are unconsciously trying to deprive the English language of a valuable idiomatic resource, which has been used freely by all our greatest writers except those whose instinct for English idiom has been overpowered by notions of correctness derived from Latin standards.
(A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, Henry W. Fowler,

Beachlover
April 24th, 2010, 10:13
I've been careful not to end any sentences with a preposition.

That's outdated academic nonsense.

Absolutely nothing wrong in ending with a preposition.

Aunty
April 24th, 2010, 11:44
Yes even an idiot knows that, or do you?.

But the fact that your were committing your badly thought out claims to a website where your words appear to all intents and purposes 'in print' I would have thought that would mean you would pay the same attention to getting it right as you would if it was going to the printed form.

Little wonder that you decline to name the news paper / agency/ bureau you are working for if you are working in Thailand illegally. It does make your 'holier than thou' attitude look rather condescending. It also does little for your credibilty if your employer is willing to employ illegal workers in the kingdom as it would appear to be an obviously down market 'rag' that is unable to pay for bona-fide journalists.

Perhaps he works for that well known Japanese newspaper, The Daily Kamikaze?