PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Cafe

April 3rd, 2010, 17:34
Who is that young farang twat who ponces about pretending to be the manager of Dicks Cafe opposite Dream Boys? I went their the other night and asked for a toasted sanwich. I said to the boy did they have multigrain bread and then I had to ask that young prick who said in a supersillyus way we don't have an oven. I guess the bread they got came down from heaven then. Dont the supermarkets in Bangkok sell decent bread? Me and my freinds wont be eating there again I can tell you. The owners need to give him a kick right up the arse.

TrongpaiExpat
April 3rd, 2010, 20:02
I assume you mean the guy who most always is dressed in black on black on black. He's Swiss German and tends to come off as rude. The original owner of Dick's died a few years back and it was bought up by a Swiss Company and he's the manager from that company. He generally just ignores the customers. There's a Thai manager that is sort of friendly and some of the waiters are OK. Same company that owns the Tarntawan hotel.

Since Maxix's has opened, business at Dick's has not been as good. Still, the food is decent and drinks reasonable and nice place to perch and check out the street traffic and see what's going on. Many of the expats regulars have left and moved over to the Balcony now-a-days, me included.

Dont the supermarkets in Bangkok sell decent bread?

Most of the upscale grocery stores in Paragon, Central World and Emporium along with all the Villa Markets have western style breads, at a price. You want good bread be prepared to pay. Try Spanish on 4, Silom soi 4, and don't complain about the prices.

April 3rd, 2010, 20:51
I can't believe you wasted your time composing an informative response to what was obviously a troll post. No wonder why trolls can't get enough of this place.

April 3rd, 2010, 21:24
the guy who most always is dressed in black on black on black. He's Swiss German
http://www.swissfolklore.ch/pin5.jpg
Alphorn + German Swiss who speaks Swiss German.

April 3rd, 2010, 21:28
I assume you mean the guy who most always is dressed in black on black on black. He's Swiss German and tends to come off as rude. The original owner of Dick's died a few years back and it was bought up by a Swiss Company and he's the manager from that company. He generally just ignores the customers. There's a Thai manager that is sort of friendly and some of the waiters are OK. Same company that owns the Tarntawan hotel.

Since Maxix's has opened, business at Dick's has not been as good. Still, the food is decent and drinks reasonable and nice place to perch and check out the street traffic and see what's going on. Many of the expats regulars have left and moved over to the Balcony now-a-days, me included.

Half right
Dicks always owned by same same owners as Tarntawan Place
Man who died was one of owners of Tarntawan Place
Swiss man in black is one of managers at Tarntawan Place and Dicks
He has work permit

April 3rd, 2010, 22:03
His work permit doesnt stop him being a total fuckwit.

TrongpaiExpat
April 4th, 2010, 00:23
His work permit doesnt stop him being a total fuckwit.

I would not go that far, but he is not the most friendly guy on the soi.

So, new member 'getyournobout, one of the other managers of the Tarntawan I assume, and in the know, how come he only wears black shirts?

April 4th, 2010, 00:42
one of the other managers of the Tarntawan I assume
no

how come he only wears black shirts
he has other colors

April 4th, 2010, 06:49
"Not the most friendly guy in the soi" and hes in the hospitality business.

allieb
April 4th, 2010, 13:02
I had to ask that young prick who said in a supersp and down and s uillyus way we don't have an oven.

It probaly didnt help you were wearing your Jewish skullcap dear.

On another note I do get turned on by the dominant types and cant wait to get down to see Mr Dick in his black shirt and boots.

Im going to ask for a toasted bagel.

You should be eating matzah at this time in the year with some gefite fish (╫У╫Т╫Щ╫Э ╫Ю╫Ю╫Х╫Ь╫Р╫Щ╫ЭтАО) green curry.

April 4th, 2010, 15:27
I am assuming we are talking about young Marcus, Assistant Director of the Tarntawan Place. Snotty little cunt at the best of times and as far as I know his only qualifications in hospitality are that he was a "waiter."
The director of the Tarntawan Place, Lukas, is Swiss. That would explain some degree of plaigerism.
Mike the co-owner of Tarntawan Place and Lukas were business partners. As far as I know Mikw took little to do with Dick's or Balls bars/cafe's.
The tragic and sadly premature loss of Mike was, IMHO, the beginning of the demise of the Tarntawan. Mike knew how to treat a guest and he and I got along famously. Mike was not gay.
Young Marcus tends to rub people the wrong way, I am told he is very into Thai boys and seems to resent and avoid attention of any sort from farangs.
Yes, I agree, Marcus is rude, aloof, loves himself to death and is generally fucking useless as far as I have seen.

R.I.P. Mike, the above mentioned places are very much the worse for your untimely passing.

April 4th, 2010, 22:08
gefite fish
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2009-04-07-HomemadeMatzo.jpg
Matze (Yiddish): Danger of addiction! The "gefilte fish" (Yiddish) cannot do without an
L: "gefilt, past participle of filn, to fill, stuff."

April 4th, 2010, 23:13
I assume the Dicks Cafe in Jomtiem is a different owner/Company than the Bangkok operation?

why?

April 5th, 2010, 01:22
I assume the Dicks Cafe in Jomtiem is a different owner/Company than the Bangkok operation?

Actually i found the Jomtiem Dicks always very well run.

Does anyone know the history of the Dicks Cafe enterprise ?

It's the difference between night and day. I've always had good service, attentive staff and decent food at the Dick's in Jomtien. Dick's in BKK - you'll get better service and better food at the Food Mart on Suriwong.

allieb
April 5th, 2010, 04:26
gefite fish
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2009-04-07-HomemadeMatzo.jpg
Matze (Yiddish): Danger of addiction! The "gefilte fish" (Yiddish) cannot do without an
L: "gefilt, past participle of filn, to fill, stuff."[/quote

Yes I spelt it wrong in English it should have been Gefilte fish Can you tell me if I spelt it correctly in Hebrew? ╫У╫Т╫Щ╫Э ╫Ю╫Ю╫Х╫Ь╫Р╫Щ╫ЭтАО
тАО

April 5th, 2010, 08:45
[X] Why would you want to translate gefilte fish into Hebrew?

Gefilte fish in Yiddish, with Hebrew characters:

http://a4.vox.com/6a00d4142121106a4700fa967e059c0002-320pi

GEFILTE FISH

SH[I=]'F ETL[I=]'FEG тЖР

╫Т╫в╫д╓┐╫Щ╫Ь╫Ш╫в ╫д╓┐╫Щ╫й тЖР

(You can also find ╫Т╫д╫Щ╫Ь╫Ш╫в ╫д╫Щ╫й = gfilte fish)

The Yiddish language is written using Hebrew script as the basis of a full vocalic alphabet. This adaptation uses letters that are silent or glottal stops in Hebrew, as vowels in Yiddish. Other letters that can serve as both vowels and consonants are either read as appropriate to the context in which they appear, or are differentiated by diacritical marks derived from the Hebrew nikud, and commonly referred to as "points". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish_orthography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish_language
http://www.yivoinstitute.org/downloads/Yiddish.pdf

http://haruth.com/YiddishHebrew.html

http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/
http://www.cs.engr.uky.edu/~raphael/yid ... ddish.html (http://www.cs.engr.uky.edu/~raphael/yiddish/makeyiddish.html)

Patexpat
April 5th, 2010, 11:12
Dicks cafe in Jomtien (run by Lucas's cute partner) has served me well for I guess over 10 years ... staff are always friendly, food is fine and a nice place to sit and watch the world go by.

In fact I met my first real bf at Dicks - he was a waiter there!

TrongpaiExpat
April 5th, 2010, 11:50
[quote="the-rabbi":3ac34g6x]I assume the Dicks Cafe in Jomtiem is a different owner/Company than the Bangkok operation?

Actually i found the Jomtiem Dicks always very well run.

Does anyone know the history of the Dicks Cafe enterprise ?

It's the difference between night and day. I've always had good service, attentive staff and decent food at the Dick's in Jomtien. Dick's in BKK - you'll get better service and better food at the Food Mart on Suriwong.[/quote:3ac34g6x]

The Bangkok Dick's is 10 years old and I only know that because they recently had their 10 year birthday party.

A bit of an overstatement in my opinion soi toi. I have also been to both, more in Bangkok and have noticed a slightly better quality of food and service at the Jomtiem branch but not quite as dramatic as you suggest. I like the Pad Thai at Dick's. They wrap the noodles in a thin egg crape like fold. I don't like those little dried shrimps seasoning and ask for it to be left out. All I have to do when I order is ask in Thai three times, then three time in English to please omit the dried shrimps and then most times it arrived without them--simple as that. I need to learn how to say it in Lao/Isaan and then I bet the odds of getting it the way I want will increase once they get over the shock of where the hell did this farang lean to speak Lao.

By the way, I noticed a book with a CD in the language section of the book store at the Emporium titled: Northeastern Dialect Thai.

Speaking of dialects, there's a few regional/National dialects of English I can make quite make out and they expect to be understood by a Thai waiter? Then there's the forien accented English, though I can understand many of them better than someone speaking Northern England mush-mouth.

April 5th, 2010, 23:13
http://speaklikeathai.com/northeastern-dialect.html ?

http://www.amazon.ca/Lets-Speak-Lao-Jam ... 9745240672 (http://www.amazon.ca/Lets-Speak-Lao-James-Higbie/dp/9745240672)

http://www.phrasebook.thai-isan-lao.com/

http://www.phrasebook.thai-isan-lao.com/images/phrasebook_front202x.jpg

Thai Isan Lao Phrasebook
by Mollerup, Asger
Bangkok 2001, 237 pp., 21 x 29 cm., pbk.

ISBN: 9789747534887 $35.00 http://www.whitelotusbooks.com/index.php?p=show&s=19

This phrasebook is the first comprehensive book to teach the Thai, Isan, and Lao languages simultaneously. The languages are tonal, and there is also is a CD-ROM in MP3 {included or: "MP3 Sound Tracks on CD-ROM available upon request from the author"} that makes it easier to get acquainted with the tones. The book aims at: a) beginners, who want to know the basics of the languages; b) students who might know most of the vocabulary already but want to learn to read and write and determine tones; c) advanced students, who already know Thai and want to know Isan or Lao, and d) the people of Isan, who want to read and write Lao, and the people of Laos, who want to read and write Thai.

[X] BOOKS ON ASIA? ORCHID BOOKS!

4th Floor Silom Complex Building
191 Silom Road, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand
BTS Skytrain Sala Daeng Station Exit 4

http://www.orchidbooks.com/shop/index.html

April 6th, 2010, 02:35
I guess, at least in the case of the latter, that it is a genetic thing that goes back to their ancestors spending so much time on convict ships after we deported them without the oppotunity of a basic education in the mother tongue.
[X] Logic? Genetics? Oppotunity of a basic education in the mother tongue?

April 6th, 2010, 13:27
Can anyone tell me exactly what many of the replies here have to do with the snotty nosed farang at Dick's Cafe in BKK?????

April 6th, 2010, 15:22
Can anyone tell me exactly what many of the replies here have to do with the snotty nosed farang at Dick's Cafe in BKK?????As the OP I thank everyone who answered the questions I asked and to the twat who said I was being a troll by asking about multigrain bread in Bangkok all I can say is twat by name and twat by nature.

Irish1972
April 6th, 2010, 18:53
Can anyone tell me exactly what many of the replies here have to do with the snotty nosed farang at Dick's Cafe in BKK?????

That is easy, they are demonstrating that he is not the only snotty nosed farang in Thailand!

April 8th, 2010, 18:13

That is easy, they are demonstrating that he is not the only snotty nosed farang in Thailand!

One of a great many no doubt!

June 3rd, 2010, 14:37
Is it tru Dicks is closed?

TrongpaiExpat
June 3rd, 2010, 22:56
They were open last night (Wednesday). I just called 02 637 0078, the number listed on their web page and did not get an answer. I might be over there tomorrow or the next day and will post a follow up report unless someone else does.

Rush, Yet Again
June 5th, 2010, 11:28
Wow!
Nice to see Stop actually posting something that at least follows the convo for a change instead of his usual WTF? cut 'n paste offerings.

danny99
June 5th, 2010, 14:08
I visited there only once, and that was years ago. It gave the impression of being a queen's palace, totally devoid of character or charm. I ordered Gai Hor Bai Toey, and whilst I have had many terrible versions of this simple dish [in Thailand and around the world] this was easily the worst I had ever had. dried little chunks of chicken, no flavour, no taste!
I can not understand why anyone would ever go back to this place! Strangely enough just recently in Bali I had just about the best version of this dish ever at a small place called Cafe Degan [owner chef worked at Banyan Tree for 9 years], like most of my Bali info I got it from the balieats web site.

June 5th, 2010, 21:53
Is this dish the extent of your Thai food vocabulary?

allieb
June 6th, 2010, 00:02

Probably has egg and chips, saus,tom, black pudding and fried bread at home but goes all ethnic when traveling

June 6th, 2010, 01:27

Probably has egg and chips, saus,tom, black pudding and fried bread at home but goes all ethnic when traveling

Tomato???????

He must be a nancy boy or one of those foreign johnnys.

Or both!

:protest:

danny99
June 6th, 2010, 16:07

Small cock, small mind! What a sick creep you must be.

allieb
June 6th, 2010, 17:48

Small cock, small mind! What a sick creep you must be.

Your picture indicates that you're all cock and no mind.

lonelywombat
June 6th, 2010, 18:41

Probably has egg and chips, sausage,tomato, black pudding and fried bread at home but goes all ethnic when traveling

Oh where can I get that in Pattaya. Really did not find that in London except Victoria Station.
Who cares about going ethnic?

Alaan
June 6th, 2010, 19:50
My god some folks are just soooooo picky and hard to please.

There's nothing wrong with Dicks in Bkk, a great place just to sit and people watch late afternoon. Yes the Thai food probably isn't as 'authentic' as an upscale hotel/ restaurant with Thai chefs or local roadside eateries, but all the dishes i've had there have been just fine. On my last visit after a couple of weeks out in the Issan sticks eating rice with this, rice with that and variations of rice, sticky, BBQ etc I stayed in Bkk the last couple of days before returning home and craving some Euro food, they had a special Pork Stew with mash which was absolutely delicious, same as 'homemade'.

I'm not sure when others have been there, but in all my visits over the last few years service at Dicks Bkk has always been excellent, certainly compared to other places where you struggle to get waiters attention when a drink is finished or you want the bill, I find Dicks always spot on in that regard.

What do people expect? Its a cafe for gods sake, not the Banyan Tree or whatever, it has never purported to being anything other than it is, and criticising an establishment based purely on whether the owner/director is 'snotty nosed' is pathetic really, if you dont like him just ignore him, its' that easy.

Still a place i'm happy to visit, as is Maxiis, Banana bar in the same soi.

TrongpaiExpat
June 6th, 2010, 21:51
Is it tru Dicks is closed?

4 days ago this simple question was asked and there have been 10 responses and not one even approaches the question.

OK, here's the answer. Dick's Cafe on Soi Twilight is open but interior is undergoing a complete remodeling and that is closed. There are 9 tables open in the terrace and you can order food and drinks which comes from down the soi at Ball's or someplace in that direction. I was told it will be a few months to complete. The doors are covered in paper but you can take a look inside, it's mostly gutted now with a lot of cement bags all around the place.

Future Boys is kaput. It's for sale, asking price 5 million Baht. It closed without warning to the staff and boys. I guess that's how they avoided handing out the last wages.

Spoke to the man in black tonight, he was actually quite friendly as were all the waiters. I look forward to seeing the new Dick's.

A cute as the dickens massage boy across from Dick's Cafe at the new X-Boy Massage was making eyes at me. I don't know anything about that massage place and have not heard anything or seen any reports. It seems to be upstairs via the old Angel Boys, now a snooker bar. A few of the boys used to work at Dream Boys.

TrongpaiExpat
June 6th, 2010, 23:17
OK NowVoyager, that was enlightening, now tell us where you think is a nice and exciting place to eat and drink in Bangkok? A little bit about the place, why you like it and where it's located would be nice too.

I ask since you used to live here and I do now and I am always looking for new and exciting places to visit.

TrongpaiExpat
June 7th, 2010, 13:31
Yes, I know about Tony Roma's on Sukhumvit and for me it's a pass. I went to the original Tony Roma's in Miami before it was a franchise and did not like it at all. I was surprised it became a successful international franchise. Not all that far from the original Roma's in Miami Beach there's am Argentine restaurnat with a wood grill that has Roma's beat hands down. Every table has chopped up basil and garlic in olive oil. You can order several types of melted goat cheese, sharp to mild along with garlic fries and other dishes that have a lot of flavor and I forgot the names. Roma's appeals to middle America, devoid of European influences, too bland for my taste.

I also know about suk 3 and all the side streets around that area, locally know as little Arabia. Many of the restaurants have menus only in Farsi or Arabic. I have sampled the street food, but never ventured into one of the restaurants and don't see any white guys or Asians either inside. I guess if there's photos on the menu, I could make out something to eat. The smells do intrigue me.

TrongpaiExpat
June 7th, 2010, 14:25
Oh, I just thought you were here-for-me? Sorry I asked, you may now resume your miserable life.

TrongpaiExpat
June 7th, 2010, 14:58
Back on topic. What I like about Dick's and Maxies is they are perfect spots to survey the soi. You can arrive around 8pm and see the boy show up for work and if one strikes you fancy, notice what bar he went into. Arrive around 9pm and see what bar is filling up with customers for show time. The bars are not going to pay performers if there's 2 or 3 customers in the joint, so it pays to see what bar is attracting customers.

As I said, but drown out in a slurry of trollish posts, Dick's is open but inside under renovations. Outside is open but limited seating and I think a limited menu, full drinks service and still a good place to watch the soi.

June 7th, 2010, 16:05
Thanks, Trongpai, your info about Dicks was useful, which is a lot more than can be said for so much on this board. Businesses have to refresh themselves now and then and it's good to hear that Dicks is doing that. Even if it's closed for a while to let the builders work (which it isn't, as you've reported) so what, there's Maxis, which IMO offers a better view of the comings and goings of the soi if one were inclined to do exactly as you suggested.

It's sad that Future Boys is closed. I hope I'm wrong but I have an uneasy feeling that it may never reopen as a gogo place, which means one less. I've noticed that (unlike massage parlours) there has been no net increase in the number of gogo bars in Bangkok since about 10 years ago - indicating that the industry is stagnating - and now we may begin to see net declines.

June 8th, 2010, 12:01
It's sad that Future Boys is closed. I hope I'm wrong but I have an uneasy feeling that it may never reopen as a gogo place, which means one less.

I'd take one high quality bar over a dozen sad ones, which is what we currently have in Bangkok. Either that, or just let the whole scene die a quiet death.

allieb
June 8th, 2010, 12:27
Oh, I just thought you were here-for-me? Sorry I asked, you may now resume your miserable life.

You obviously are also an expert on a miserable life.

Anyone who goes to Thailand to eat Arabic food is pretty sad. I live in the middle east and the lamb grabs are disqusting