PDA

View Full Version : Sending Funds

April 19th, 2006, 08:54
I believe this will be my third post and I can image the response that this question will get. My first trip was last month and I met someone at Funny Boyz who has called me twice and I have called him once. I want to send him some funds but I can not over come the language barrier over the telephone in order to make a wire transfer. I am aware of the water buffalo stories and everything else. This is something that I want to do, his birthday is tomorrow and it would be great if I could send him something. SO any advice on how to accomplish this task would be appreciated. Thanks

April 19th, 2006, 09:03
Niddy's Nook has a "valet service" where they will shop for you and deliver an item. One of the options is cash in B5000 increments: http://www.niddysnook.com/gift3.html.

It may be worth a try to e-mail Chris if there were some specific item you'd like to buy and have delivered, too?

April 19th, 2006, 09:14
I also agree with bkk gwm that niddy's nook is by far your best solution. They have many nice gifts and offer money transfers for alot cheaper then western union. But I think the website he send didn't work for me try this one http://www.niddysnook.com/shop.html for there information.

Aunty
April 19th, 2006, 17:24
When I kept a young man in Thailand I sent my money via Western Union. Outrageous overpriced fee, but at least it was safe, convenient and reliable for both of us.

No he was not a gogo boy, or even had anything to do with the Thai gay sex industry. And I didn't even meet him in Thailand! And we've never had sex or even love each other! (Gosh I must be queer!)

At the moment he is in hospital with a lung infection. Given what I know about his medical history, I suspect AIDS. It's all very sad really.

Aunty
April 19th, 2006, 17:30
oh by the way xstreamlove and bkk gwm, thanks for that link to Niddy's Nook. It is very much appreciated.

April 19th, 2006, 19:23
Your welcome Aunty and I hope your friend gets well soon ! :colors:

April 20th, 2006, 05:01
I have found the best method is to send it by Western Union. It is quick even though the fee is $15 for sending $100. This is from US.
They can pick up at most banks, etc.
I found the fees for wire transfers from my bank to be even higher.

Doug
April 20th, 2006, 06:36
I have my bank account with TD Canada Trust. I set up another account in my name and got an ATM card for this new account. By registered mail, I sent the ATM card to my Thai friend. He can use the card to withdraw funds.

When I set up the account, I told the bank employee what I was going to do. She suggested some restrictions to the ATM card. The card can only be used to withdraw funds. It can not access the account to deposit or view the balance. My Thai friend can not find out the account number or any other details.

I can view the account from my computer. From my computer, I can transfer money from my regular account to the new account instantly. He phones and the money's there before we hang up. I can see immediately when he withdraws funds. He knows I put a certain (small) amount in on the 1st and the 15th of each month. It's worked well since we started this.

April 20th, 2006, 07:27
Also make sure the ATM account used by your Thai friend does not have overdraft protection. Otherwise the bank will allow withdawals even after the account is depleted.
VOE (Voice of Experience.)

jimnbkk
April 20th, 2006, 08:29
After a couple of tries at different schemes, including giving bf a debit card on a bank here at home that I rationed money into, I believe I hit on the best scheme for me. (The problem with bf having debit card on my account, an account set up for this purpose only, was that I got charged $2 everytime he put the card into the machine - even just to check balance, which it seems he did continuously sometimes).

I now have an account at Siam Commercial Bank. This account is in my name, and even pays interest! I had to go to Immigration and get a letter ( I have no idea what it says). I believe you must have a 90 day visa to get this letter. BF also has an account at SCB (his own account). I have access to my account online from home. I set my account and he set up his account so I can electronically transfer funds from my account to his account. Now, when the first of the month rolls around, I simply go online and transfer funds into his account. He can check as often as he wants, and never costs me anything any more. If he needs money, he sends SMS, and I go online and transfer funds. I also use this account when I'm in LOS for my day to day expenses.

The downside of this is, as has already been pointed out, the expense of wire-transferring funds. So I transfer a fairly decent amount each time to reduce the per-month cost to me.

April 20th, 2006, 08:36
Jim: You mean SCB charges wire-transfer fees to do an online transfer from one SCB account to another? wow.

Bob
April 20th, 2006, 09:40
Like Jimnbkk, I also set up an account with SCB (but I never had to get any letter....just set it up at the SCB branch on Taipae
road in Chiangmai. My chiangmai friend also opened an account there, I linked the two accounts (SCB will do that for you), and I can transfer funds to my friend's account over the internet without charge.

As concerns the wire fee, I think Jim is referring to the cost of wiring money to your own account from out of Thailand. I haven't had that problem yet as I deposited a fair amount when I was in Thailand.

And, yes, I also receive interest although it isn't much.

April 20th, 2006, 11:30
As concerns the wire fee, I think Jim is referring to the cost of wiring money to your own account from out of Thailand.
Well, duh. Thanks, Bob, for pointing out the obvious to me, which I so easily missed. :redfaced:

It's hell getting old(er)...

American Teacher-old
April 20th, 2006, 17:02
Thanks for those who posted information on Niddy's Nook online store for money transfers! We are cheaper than Western Union and based right here in Pattaya. Also, the added bonus is that you can communicate through me in English and then Niddy can communicate through Thai to your boy.

We make arrangements for money pick up or delivery -- whichever best suits your friend. Then, we notify you via email when your boyfriend has picked up his money (ID check necessary). We can also take custom orders if there are specific gifts you'd like us to find for him.

www.niddysnook.com (http://www.niddysnook.com)

Fondly,
Chris

Aunty
April 20th, 2006, 20:22
I would like to see you do the HAKA Aunty . I suppose you cant do the Chickendance being a Kiwi so the HAKA will do.

You dirty bugger! You just want to see how long my tongue is! :geek:

American Teacher-old
April 23rd, 2006, 17:15
Sure!! Just let us know when you are ready to send those flowers, Mr. Sydeny! All you have to do is go to our website at niddysnook.com and click on the online store.

Then just pick and pay and we'll do the rest!

Cheers!
Chris & Niddy

April 24th, 2006, 04:06
I too utilize the restriced ATM card method to supply funds to the BF. The only cost being the ATM Fees. But check around, some banks are no longer charging overseas ATM withdrawel fees (i.e. Washington Mutual checking accounts opened after 3/15/06). I may have to close my current WAMU checking account for him, and reopen a new one to get this feature, but it will be worth it to save the $3 ATM fee each time he uses it.

April 24th, 2006, 05:38
will be sending Madame Jim some flowers .Im thinking of bringing him back to Australia.

Madam Jim will look perfect in your garden, Sydney ! You can show here your chicken dance and sing from the land down under . Go stand white here to drivel, whereas you leaves your noisy winds.

Way do i not have a invitation on your BBQ, Syd ?

http://upload3.postimage.org/162041/vrouw1.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/162041/photo_hosting.html)

May 4th, 2006, 09:22
I had sent my bf of 2 years a litlte over 600,000 baht for building his house,motorcycle, his family, ect..... I used to use Western Union, way to expensive almost 75.00 USA dollars. So i had him open up a new bank account Krung Bank they have online banking, I can transfer money into his account via my bank and the fee is about 40.00 dollars plus we share his password ect.. so i can see when he does the withdrawl and dates and amounts.... next time when Im in Bkk i will open up a J-account.

May 4th, 2006, 11:00
There is a very easy way...........for a one off fee open an epassporte account ($40 including plastic visa card).

After the one off fee it costs only 25 cents US to send money.............all done online and your partner can use the card at atms or in shops with visa sign.

I use mine a lot to order/pay for trips to thailand and use when i need there.

If u do regular transactions you will save a fortune as opposed to western union.