PDA

View Full Version : Silom Service Apartments?

April 1st, 2010, 01:12
All my trips to Bangkok so far have been for work (not that I've neglected pleasure!) and I've always stayed at the Le Meridien. This next upcoming business trip is short - one night only - and I've decided to stay a couple of additional days to relax and take in more of Bangkok's delights.

Much as I think the Le Meridien is a fantastic hotel, this time around I'm thinking I want to stay in a serviced apartment.

I've come across a few in the Silom/Sala Daeng area: Collonade, Centre Point, Siri Sathorn, Pantip, Bandara etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place in the area? At least somewhat luxurious would be nice!

And I suspect joiners wouldn't be an issue in a apartment, right? Or could that be a concern?

Thanks all!

bao-bao
April 1st, 2010, 04:12
The only one in the area I've had experience with is Evergreen Place, almost directly next door to the Asia Hotel and the Ratchathewi BTS station. I've stayed there for a week to ten days a few times and favor it because of the ease of using the BTS or taxis from the Asia.

The smallest (type E) apartment is 44 sq meters, and with the first eight or nine floors being parking the apartments are above that, affording some nice views. I just saw they're running a special - stay four nights, pay for three - that takes the nightly rate down to Bt 2,040 (VAT and service tax included), which I feel is decent baht value. If by "a few days" you mean a full week it's stay for seven, pay for five. I don't think they "play" with many/any of the booking services, these rates are directly through them. http://www.evergreenapartment.com/index.htm

An easy walk to MBK and the other malls and a quick BTS ride to the night areas, although you do have to make a switch at Silom to the other line across the walkway. There is a cafe there, it's no great shakes and breakfast isn't included, anyway. Try the breakfast buffet at the Asia one building away.

As for the joiners, I'm not your man for that question, sorry. There IS a reception desk off of the main lobby usually staffed by two during the day and one or two at night, but I've never had them look twice or question me when friends have come to visit - although they're not coming in with me at midnight (wink wink).

Try a search here for the Centre Point locations - they've gotten good comments here in the past, especially the one out near the river.

One for the mix - I'm sure you'll hear about others. Hope this helps.

mahjongguy
April 1st, 2010, 08:26
I enjoyed staying at the Colonnade. Nice staff, great location. But generally they are filled with long-stay customers; getting a room for just a week or two requires a bit of luck.

firecat69
April 1st, 2010, 09:35
CentrePointe Saladaeng is very nice and generally a little less then the others you mentioned. No problem at all with guests. 10-15 minute walk to Silom or 37 baht and 3 minutes in a taxi.

April 2nd, 2010, 03:40
Thanks all for the input. The rates at the places I mentioned above are similar to what the LM is charging (for the kind of accommodation I want), so it's a total toss up.

The Collonade looks nicest, but might be a bit too fancy for my liking. And some of them are on the other (aka wrong) side of Sathorn, so that likely leaves me with Centre Point or Bandara. I'm leaning towards the latter... Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

firecat69
April 2nd, 2010, 15:42
Between those 2 it depends on what you are getting. If you get a 1 bedroom then I am almost sure there is only 1 tv in the living room and nothing in the bedroom which I dislike. If you are getting a studio not much difference and Bandera is a slightly shorter walk to Silom if you go down Saladaeng and Centrepointe is slightly shorter walk to Soi Twilight if you walk down Rama.

April 3rd, 2010, 00:28
I'm definitely going to get the one-bed, wherever I book. The Bandara is looking increasingly good... The recommendations from all you folks and the good prices are definitely making me lean that way.

And location isn't too inconvenient either. I think access to Silom in general is more important than to Twilight, considering I didn't even venture into Twilight at all during my last trip!

firecat69
April 3rd, 2010, 06:47
Just one more thing. I have not stayed at Bandara but did look at the rooms. I have stayed at Centrepointe.

If you read the reviews on Trip Advisor for both properties, there are very few good things said about the staff at Bandara where as they are praised at Centrepointe. I agree the staff at all the Centrepoints are exceptional.

No matter which direction you go the walks are at most 4 minutes different between the two. Centrepoint has a large commercial building across the street with Starbucks, 7/11 and Au Bon Pain and quite a few restaurants which is nice especially if you are up in the morning.

Sure you'll be happy at either . Just trying to give you my insights.

One other thing if you go to the Centrepoint website they sometimes have specials that make them much more competitive in price.

fedssocr
April 5th, 2010, 04:38
I have stayed a few times at Siri Sathorn and I really like it there. Just make sure to ask for a unit on the side away from the construction site next door.

I have stayed in 3 or 4 different types of units. All are a little bit different. But overall very comfortable. Free wifi. Fully outfitted kitchen. LCD tvs at least one and in one unit there was one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Bathrooms are a little funky in some layout-wise. My only complaint is that it is always freezing cold no matter how you adjust the air con. They do have windows that open though for a little fresh air.

I only ever took one boy back there. Generally no problem but a bit of an odd look from the doorman. No one said anything though or checked his ID.

Breakfast is included and a decent selection. There's a token-operated laundry on the 2nd floor which comes in handy for longer stays.

Service is quite friendly and excellent. They remember that I stayed before and always welcome me back. The walk to Silom is about 10 minutes more or less.

I know some people who have stayed at Bandara across the street and liked it. The level of furnishings seems to be a tiny bit lower, but I think their prices are much cheaper too.

Siri Sathorn is my choice for place to stay.

April 6th, 2010, 01:36
Hmm... I went and checked out Siri Sathorn's website.... It does look pretty good. And rates are reasonable too... Just a couple of hundred more than the others.

I think we may have a winner! Thansk

Beachlover
April 6th, 2010, 20:43
Some of these serviced apartments look pretty good... collonade and sri siri especially. I think I've walked past collonade before... it's in a nice quiet lane just off the main Silom Road and with lots of little restaurants, shops and eateries about.