PDA

View Full Version : charity/scamity

thaiguest
March 30th, 2010, 13:47
Wisdom comes with age (a poor compensation) but my wisdom is lately becoming more of the cynical type.
After visitng Cambodia a number of times and staying in Thailand for about 5 years I've come to the conclusion that the MAJORITY of western charities operating in this region are SCAMS.
These charities for all their pretentious policies are vehicles whereby foreigners can operate UNINVITED and with little supervision in poor countries and at the expense of good people in the west.
For example there's a primary school support group operating in Cambodia. When you look into it you find that it's family run but funded by non-family donations from the USA. Yes, this group gives certain help to some Cambodian schools; text books, renovation etc. (They would have to, wouldn't they; otherwise they couldn't be there.) But sons, daughters and cousins of the founders are at the same time forever doing American master degree courses etc. based on their 'charity' work. They enjoy free lodging, have legal visa status and can meddle at will in the lives and culture of the objects of a charity not of their own funding. There's also a strong 'christian' slant to their effort ie. it's also an old fashioned proslytising campaigh by stealth.
There are numerous examples of the same in Thailand.
If I were the Thai government or the head Buddhist monk of Thailand and if being such gave me the power I'd kick the vast majority of them out of the country.
Am I getting contrary in my autumn years?

jinks
March 30th, 2010, 16:50
If you are worried about the "big" international charities you can always support the LOCAL ones run and administered locally.

I support Thais4Life (http://www.thais4life.com/) click here (http://www.thais4life.com/) or on the Bazaar poster below for contact.

March 30th, 2010, 21:41
I absolutely agree!!!

Thai Dyed
March 30th, 2010, 21:46
If I were the Thai government or the head Buddhist monk of Thailand and if being such gave me the power I'd kick the vast majority of them out of the country.
Am I getting contrary in my autumn years?

If anything "thaiguest", you are being far too kind and are not cynical enough. I would even expand your list to include a few agencies of the UN as well as virtually all NGOs.

You have clearly stated that the obnoxious scam you discovered in Cambodia is a family run thing only turning to the outside to suck in funding and favours for its sub rosa agenda.

So to answer jinks's suggestion that you contribute only to "LOCAL" operations is no solution. It doesn't get any more local than a family run swindle.

March 30th, 2010, 21:50
I don't trust ANYTHING "run and administered locally" ESPECIALLY by FARANGS and ESPECIALLY in PATTAYA.

March 30th, 2010, 22:28
They enjoy free lodging, have legal visa status and can meddle at will in the lives and culture of the objects of a charity not of their own funding.
A family run swindle тАУ fascinating! We are mostly singles, should we marry to qualify for the family run swindle?

at the expense of good people in the west.
But they support a family! A Christian family in the diaspora! :-)

March 30th, 2010, 23:17
Non-profit charity organizations pay salaries, over head , expenses and bonuses..only a portion of your money filter through them and reach the needy. Some of them can be very small.. Years ago it was reported only a few thousands out of over $2 million donated to an organization for the fire victims in a certain California neighborhood was distributed. I remember reading about the scandal but now can't find any references :8( . I vaguely remember it was an American Red Cross local chapter. Please correct me if anyone know about the scandal.

I believe in charity but i only give to my family and friends. My answer to charity fund raisers:
"I paid social security i have done my part."

March 31st, 2010, 00:51
After visitng Cambodia a number of times and staying in Thailand for about 5 years I've come to the conclusion that the MAJORITY of western charities operating in this region are SCAMS.

..... and it took you 5 years to discover this?