PDA

View Full Version : TANJOOBERRYMUTTS

paperboy
March 24th, 2010, 07:39
TANJOOBERRYMUTTS By the time you read through this you will understand "TANJOOBERRYMUTTS".....and be ready for thailand. Now, here goes...

The following is a telephonic exchange between maybe you as a hotel guest and room-service in Pattaya......
Room Service : "Morrin. Roon sirbees."

Guest : "Sorry, I thought I dialed room-service."

Room Service: " Rye, Roon sirbees...morrin! Joowish to oddor sunteen???"

Guest: "Uh..... Yes, I'd like to order bacon and eggs."

Room Service: "Ow ulai den?"

Guest: ".....What??"

Room Service: "Ow ulai den?!?... Pryed, boyud, pochd?"

Guest: "Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry.. Scrambled, please."

Room Service: "Ow ulai dee bayken ? Creepse?"

Guest: "Crisp will be fine."

Room Service: "Hokay. An sahn toes?"

Guest: "What?"

Room Service: "An toes. ulai sahn toes?"

Guest: "I.... Don't think so.."

RoomService: "No? Udo wan sahn toes???"

Guest: "I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'udo wan sahn toes' means."

RoomService: "Toes! Toes!...Why Uoo don wan toes? Ow bow Anglish moppin we botter?"

Guest: "Oh, English muffin! !! I've got it! You were saying 'toast'...

Fine...Yes, an English muffin will be fine."

RoomService: "We botter?"

Guest: "No, just put the botter on the side."

RoomService: "Wad?!?"

Guest: "I mean butter... Just put the butter on the side."

RoomService: "Copy?"

Guest: "Excuse me?"

RoomService: "Copy...tea..meel?"

Guest: "Yes. Coffee, please... And that's everything."

RoomService: "One Minnie. Scramah egg, creepse bayken , Anglish moppin, we botter on sigh and copy ... Rye ??"

Guest: "Whatever you say."

RoomService: "Tanjooberrymutts."

Guest: "You're welcome"

Remember I said "By the time you read through this YOU WILL UNDERSTAND 'TANJOOBERRYMUTTS' ...... and you do, don't you!
paperboy

Patexpat
March 24th, 2010, 14:15
Genuine lingual misunderstandings can be amusing ... as I found out only last week ....

I was at a customers site, and noticed that the W-LAN access point had been named and programmed as Robby.

Thinking this a somewhat unorthodox naming convention, I questioned my technician who looked at me as if I had sprung two heads and said 'because it covers the robby!'

(lobby)

true story that put a huge grin on my face and cheered me up no end!

March 24th, 2010, 15:09
Nice one paperboy, hope you enjoy your holiday and get your date with 'you know who'!!!!!!!!

March 24th, 2010, 16:34
Nice one paperboy, hope you enjoy your holiday and get your date with 'you know who'!!!!!!!!
The chance of paperboi/boy ever coming to Thailand i as about as good a chance as you losing your LMTU obsession!
By the way paperwhatever we are all still waiting to know of your choice of hotels here I am sure Sanook wants to know too as well....We are planning a welcoming party for you! Hope to see you soon. :hello2:

'crawlforme' unlike you I receive P.M's and it's amazing what information is passed around in private messages by the more sane posters in here who don't hide their PM button!

Beachlover
March 24th, 2010, 16:52
Do you forget in Thailand you are the one speaking a strange language! What you wrote is nothing more than an ignorant insult.

No sense of humour? I thought it was hilarious.

March 24th, 2010, 18:03
Not being content with posting his inane one liners in here, 'crawlforme' has now reverted to sending P.M's of the same. This is one that I have just received, work it out guys!

Fools rush in!
Sent: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:55 am
To: sanook

March 24th, 2010, 22:14
[X] Let me Google that for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22Rye%2C+Roon+sir ... F%3F%22%22 (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22Rye%2C+Roon+sirbees...morrin!+Joowish+to+odd or+sunteen%3F%3F%3F%22%22)

March 25th, 2010, 02:44
Do you forget in Thailand you are the one speaking a strange language! What you wrote is nothing more than an ignorant insult.

No sense of humour? I thought it was hilarious.

It reminded me of Benny Hill's "Mr Chow Mein" character

(sorry I don't know how to attach a pic - stoopit iriot)

http://runstop.de/chinabob.jpg

:occasion9:

cdnmatt
March 26th, 2010, 07:27
Ahhh, I don't have much sympathy anymore for Thais trying to learn English. They have it easy. I'd have to say that learning to speak basic English is far easier than leaning how to speak basic Thai. Simply because, for one we don't have tones, and two, in general our words are very distinct sounding. Just think of words like, "speak", "hospital", "about", "miracle", "elephant", and so on. You can pronounce each of those words in probably a dozen different ways, and basically every English speaking individual will understand you.

Whereas with Thai, you don't have that leeway. You have to be precise with pronounciation, vowel length, and tone each time, or else they won't understand you. Well, many times they'll understand you based on context, but by and large, you have to be 100% precise with your words. Whereas with English, you have quite a bit of leeway. You can fuckup the pronounciation quite a bit, and still be understood with ease.

In Thai, it's "No! Not 'dtee', 'dtEE'! Not 'luu', 'lUU'!". Well, gee, sorry... :P

However, I think getting into advanced English would be harder than advanced Thai. Because then you're stuck learning about all the plurals, tenses, exceptions, etc.

francois
March 26th, 2010, 09:13
cdnmatt, Can I assume you are multi-lingual? I can sympathize with anyone who attempts to learn another language especially where a different alphabet is used. If you think that English is distinct sounding you should think again. Have you ever heard a Scotsman speak English?* I heard Thais speak english words over and over yet I could not understand them until finally the eureka moment. They were not mispronouncing the word, but it took some time for my ear to realize the meaning.

*My apology, scottish-guy!

cdnmatt
March 26th, 2010, 09:39
Nah, the different alphabet isn't really a big deal. Anyone can learn that. It's just memorization, that's all.

For example, with Thai, take "dtong" in English. That can be pronounced "dtong", "dong", "duong", "dawong", etc... and in general, every English speaking person will understand. In Thai though, with the tones, that could mean any one of 20 different words. You know, if you say "dong" instead of "dawng" for example, they'll have no clue what you're talking about. Whereas with English, if you replace an "o" sound with an "aw" sound, people will still understand you.

And compared to Thai, English is very distinct sounding. There are some exceptions though, like "life", "like", and "lie" all sound pretty similar. But by and large, our words are quite distinct, especially if compared to Thai words.

March 26th, 2010, 10:09
I think the grammar rules when learning English are at least as much of a challenge as correct pronunciation is when learning Thai.

joe552
March 26th, 2010, 22:30
Matt, you've obviously never tried to teach English (except maybe informally with your BF). Ain't that easy.

francois
March 27th, 2010, 04:18
Nah, the different alphabet isn't really a big deal. Anyone can learn that. It's just memorization, that's all.
And compared to Thai, English is very distinct sounding. There are some exceptions though, like "life", "like", and "lie" all sound pretty similar. But by and large, our words are quite distinct, especially if compared to Thai words.

Matt, for a Canadian, you sure know how to "Whistle Dixie" *!

*Whistling Dixie is an American idiom; not being serious, idle conversational fantasies.