PDA

View Full Version : cost to live in Pattaya

April 18th, 2006, 17:49
Hello I am new to this forum and know this topic has been talked about before but I see that many of you that post here do live in Pattaya. I too am thinking of moving there and would like to know some information on the cost. I don't know if I will buy or rent and would love to know what most think about this.(house verse condo , rent verse buy)
I also would love to know what it cost on average for a farang to live there per month. Rent, food, phone, nights out, etc. I guess I'm really looking for someone to give me a basic breakdown on there cost per month if this is not to personal to them it would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your time and help. :drunken:

April 18th, 2006, 21:41
My friend, my (our) cup of tea may not be yours. Some may be happy in a cheap, noisy, hot room while others maybe prefer some thing up-class.
Some maybe happy with a hooker from Sunee Plaza at mark down prices whilst others may want the high priced whores from boystown.
Same with food. May I suggest you pick one subject and elicit help on that. cheers

Monty-old
April 18th, 2006, 22:59
If you would like to Private Message me I would be happy to let know all.
you can live in Pattaya very well on 1000 U.K. pound, OR, U.S. $ 1700 per month.
It will depend on the life style you want.
Regards Monty.

April 18th, 2006, 23:04
Its all relevant to what your life style will be. Will you go out everynight? Can you eat what the locals eat? Will you have someone living with you? Will you travel around or be content to stay in one place? A group of us once sat around trying to figure this out and we came up with between 70 and 80 thousand baht. This alows one to go out several nights a week have dinners out and treat the boys out to movies and go cart rides (among other things). I have found tho that after awhile I am content not to go out every night or just visit at an outdoor bar without the gogo scene.

April 18th, 2006, 23:46
This is good information. I've kinda been figuring about $2,000 US per month which would include renting a nice one bedroom condo of the View Talay quality. I'm not a picky eater and would be happy to dine on local thai food (healthier anyway). I think the major item that could drive the monthly cost up would be the BF deciding he wants to be a "Stay home housewife" and not work. I can definitely afford to retire and support myself, but supporting 2 is a different matter.

April 19th, 2006, 00:43
This is good information. I've kinda been figuring about $2,000 US per month which would include renting a nice one bedroom condo of the View Talay quality. I'm not a picky eater and would be happy to dine on local thai food (healthier anyway). I think the major item that could drive the monthly cost up would be the BF deciding he wants to be a "Stay home housewife" and not work. I can definitely afford to retire and support myself, but supporting 2 is a different matter.
Yeah, a lot "depends" but you'll probably have change from the 2K US.

April 19th, 2006, 02:50
WOW jakenasty its as if u read my mind and replied for me. The only thing I find hard to take is $2000 a month to live there. I to only need a 1 bedroom condo and can eat local food. I'm not a drinker but do enjoy nights out (I'm only 41). I also wounder the cost monthly of what a bf will cost as I prefer to have partner then to off a boy. I wounder how Thai people can do it, many who have told me they make about 10,000 to 20,000 baht a month. I understand farnags have to pay double for everything and have no problem with this. How do the do it for so little. As it is now i live in the USA for alot less then $2,000 a month but its no Land of Smiles.

thanks Monty I would take you up on that if I knew when you where online.

April 19th, 2006, 02:57
There is an over abundance of "Studio" condos for rent. and can be had quite cheaply. But NICE western style One bedroom Condos seem to run about 30,000 to 40,000 per month to rent. There's half the $2000 a month right there...

April 19th, 2006, 03:15
Well I had seen many 1 bedroom condos of the local Real Estate websites for far less. From what I can see you can rent a nice one for 20,000 a month and long term even less.

April 19th, 2006, 03:26
Farangs have to pay "double for everything"? That's news to this long-term farang expatriate. What exactly do they have to pay double for, if I may be so bold as to inquire? Groceries? Utilities? A burger at McDonald's? A UBC subscription? A bus ticket to Bangkok? Come on, I'm really racking my brain here.

April 19th, 2006, 03:48
OK so maybe not all things are double but there are alot like cost for a condo or house , baht bus ride, a show, entrance to the parks and even a elephant ride cost me double. From what I have seen there are things that cost double for farnag and I have no problem with this. My point was that it seems to cost farangs alot more to live there as compared to some of my Thai friends do for alot less. Maybe I am wrong but this is why I asked the question in the first place.

April 19th, 2006, 05:04
Thanks boygeorge that's one of your kinder posts. As far as whats wrong with my life here hmm I don't think to much is really. I own my home and live a decent life here one would say. Maybe its my mid life crisis LOL, but I think its more of the sick of the rat race syndrome. Work, eat, sleep and a occasional night out. But this all feels to me so empty and unrewarding now. To be honest after being a part of 9-11 my life has changed a great deal I have learned alot from it and do not want to take one day for granted. As it is now, maybe I feel a little like I am just existing as compared to really living. As far as working I would like to work in Thailand but have seen there are very few offers there for farang. I would probably spend time helping orphans or children with health issues there as I have done in other countries and here in the states as well. I find it truly rewarding and enjoy my time with the kids. As far as opening a business from what I have read I have not seen to many positive comments on this so that scares me a bit and seems to be a bigger risk to me. Maybe I will just spend most of the year in Thailand and some back home.
thanks for your reply

Live everyday as if it was your last because tomorrow is promised to no man

April 19th, 2006, 05:05
Thai people on low wages live in group settings. They share everything. They give each other loans when needed. They don't pay for massages. They are skinny because they don't eat much food. Many are in debt to the mafia.
I hope this helps.

BTW, if 2K per month is too much it isn't at all hard to live OK for much less, but you don't really want (and really can't) live like a poor Thai.

Also, Pattaya seems to be on a real inflationary spiral. Chiang Mai would be cheaper and is quite nice. The boonies would be dirt cheap, but I can tell you wouldn't like that.

April 19th, 2006, 14:31
Hey to each his own.
Personally, I can't think of any business more tedious than a convenience store.
I also do feel if someone wants to chuck it and move to Thailand, it is imperative to move over for a test run of at least three months. That is still only a taste of the long term expat life, but a good start.
If a person still feels they would be happy, then you really have to get brutally honest about the money part of it.
Being without enough money is lousy anywhere, but in Thailand it is worse than that.
Pattaya can be psychologically challenging to watch the scores of tourists spending as if there is no tomorrow if you are limited in budget.
I would suggest to the OP that he openly talk about his money setup, because then he will get a range of opinions on whether he could make it in Pattaya.
True, some people will be bitchy, but you would still learn something and we don't know who you are anyway, so it is a good opportunity.

2lz2p
April 19th, 2006, 15:38
As mentioned, the lifestyle you choose will have a significant impact on the cost. If you want to "live like a Thai," you can get by very cheaply, but this would be a large comedown from most farang's standard of living. The 2k per month is reasonable and would provide a comfortable but not extravagant life style.

There is a wide range of options for lodging going from a single hotel type room to 3 or 4 bedroom houses. Location also has an impact, e.g., older condo units tend to go for less than the newer condos - some condo buildings are better maintained than others - sea view and proximity to the beach- etc.etc. If looking at houses, you get more living space for your money, but donтАЩt have the same security. Houses on the East side of Sukhumvit Road go for less (or you get more for the same money) than those in other areas, such as close to the beach (Pattaya or Jomtien).

Similarly, choice of eating venues has a big impact - very low end is eating Thai food from the food carts/stands moving up the spectrum to dining out in the better establishments (Mata Hari, Brunos, etc.). Cooking at home is an option, but again do you eat Thai food or local brands vs. imported items.

Utilities are not overly expensive with the biggest item being electricity - cost for this will vary depending on your use, e.g., running A/C most of time will cost more than using a circulating fan to keep cool. Other costs to consider are whether you will be offing boys (and how often) or settling down with the current or hoped for "one true love." Also, are there any health issues? Whereas medical care here is very inexpensive when compared to USA, it still costs - do you have insurance that will cover you or do you need to acquire it here (health insurance here is not expensive, but has more limitations than most USA health plans). Also, you will need to consider the cost of periodic тАЬborder runs.тАЭ

As to double pricing, that will probably have minimal impact such as paying 10 baht instead of 5 baht for a baht bus ride. About the only other places I am aware of that you will encounter it is going to certain tourist attractions. I have not noticed any double pricing scheme for going to movies, bowling, dining out, etc.

IтАЩm sure if you provide a little more info on the type of lifestyle you are aiming for or will be comfortable with, you will get a wealth of information from members of this board that live here. I would be more than happy to share my "lifestyleтАЭ with you тАУ just send me a private message to let me know.

But, even with this information available, as others have mentioned and I will strongly suggest is that you try it first before making a firm commitment to live here. I am in a long term relationship with my Thai partner and was looking forward very much to being together on a full time basis upon my retirement. However, I knew that тАЬshort vacation visitsтАЭ would not be the same as тАЬliving togetherтАЭ on a long term basis. Therefore, before making a permanent decision to live here, I came for a 6 month stay тАУ I felt less than that would not be enough to really evaluate the pros and cons. Although my bf has a house in his home town in the Northeast, I knew that I couldnтАЩt live there on a full time basis (a lot- lot- lot less expensive, but living in the boonies. I knew I would go bonkers in short order). So, we rented a house in the Jomtien area and moved in to give it a try. Fortunately, I had no problem adjusting to living here. I then went back to USA to settle things for a permanent move тАУ that was about 4 years ago and I have not regretted my decision to move here. I do miss my friends there, but I have made several new and good ones here. I am also fortunate to have a decent retirement income that has cost of living increases annually тАУ so, even with some inflation and current loss of value of the dollar to the baht, I pretty much status quo.

April 19th, 2006, 19:41
Thanks to all for your incite and comments it has all been helpful. As far as my lifestyle I would think I live a simple one and would need a 1 bedroom condo somewhere in jomtiem area. I don't need special food and have no problem cooking for myself too.I am not a drinker but do enjoy nights out for a chat and the excitement of the night life. I would think at first I would tend to go out more often until I have found that special someone to spend quite nights at home with. But still would enjoy a few nights out a week with my bf. I also would like to find a job in Pattaya to occupy some of my time (I'm only 41). With all that said I would like to think I could live on say maybe 50,000 baht a month and if i find a job maybe more. I will as you all suggested do a trail rum by living there for about 6 months. I have stayed there in the past for 2 months at a time. :alien:

jimnbkk
April 19th, 2006, 21:12
you say "find a job" as if ur here in the USA. NO!! That's not the way it works I think. My 90-day visa always says prominently "employment not permitted" Farang are not permitted to work at a job that a Thai could do. I think some of the expats probably have a better handle on this, but working may not be the answer for you for that reason. And, you don't sound as if you can afford to buy a business either. And, you are not old enough (50) for a retirement visa.

I think u need to do some more careful thinking. I am retired. Old enough for retirement visa, but will only do two-month visits for the forseeable future. I have too much here to leave permanently. But, I love Thailand and the Thai people. So, I'll spend maybe 4 months a year there, and the rest here.

Good Luck.

dab69
April 19th, 2006, 23:46
a three month test run is kinda hard seeing you generally have to maintain a job, probably with a two week vacation time, common in the USA. Personally, I get lots more and could lump one years vacation at the end of one year with the next years vacation a the beginning of the year.

the burn up of cash during the trial period would affect the outcome of the trial?

The "threat" of returning to the usa mid-winter could serverly affect the decision in the other direction.

guessing that you would be looking out for jobs while you were there, and getting some kind of shorter term apartment.

April 19th, 2006, 23:49
Jims Comments are spot on. About the only "work" you can do in thailand is own a business (a tourist oriented one) or Teach. My plans are based on moving to thailand at age 50+ using a retirement VISA. If you are only 41, you will have to make "border runs". I do know several younger (under 50 farangs) that do "teach" in thailand, but the pay is very low, and probably not enough for a "comfortable" lifestyle such as you have described.

April 19th, 2006, 23:51
Xstream, what kind of job are you thinking of?
There are lots of farangs in real estate in Pattaya, but I have heard that it is quite a hard place to land work teaching English.
If you don't have a huge pile of investment money (huge is subjective of course) be sure not to burn your USA bridges. I am guessing you aren't a Rockefeller, though, so be careful.

As far as visa runs without a real visa, you can play the game for many months of going to Penang and getting double or triple entry tourist visas, and then extending them each one month. But complications can occur (like uncooperating Thai officials) and then you might have to go to the USA at least for awhile, so be careful, consider that you do have someplace to go back to in the USA (a friend or relative perhaps).

April 20th, 2006, 12:00
I too would like to live in Thailand, but unfortunately the savings I have are quickly dwindling and I will have to get back home sometime and start saving again for my next trip. I have started trying to spend less and find that the if I just spend on a room (of decent quality), food, transport and quiet nights out without calling on a friend to join me for late night entertainment, on my cheap days I can spend around 20 to 30 pounds a day (1300 baht to 2000 baht) or ($35.00 to $50.00 or so dollars). Finding company or doing more touristy things during the day considerably increases the money spent, and I can easily double or more likely triple the amount spent.

Of course, I still class myself as a tourist even though I have been in Thailand on my latest visit since around November and the local expats seem to be able to spend less from what I have read. Perhaps they know how to be a little more thrifty, something you may know how to do already or something you may have to quickly learn. I think it is a good idea of one of the posters who suggested you spend a month or so here and see how much you spend, how you cope with limiting your budget and whether you feel you can still enjoy your life fully in Thailand by restricting what you spend your money on.

Oh, and my experience of what Thai's earn is not so inflated as one post here. The guys who work gogo that you may have met, may well earn 10 to 20,000 baht per month, possibly in high season. But many of the guys who work in hotels, restaurants, coffee shops seem to earn between 4,500 baht per month and 8,000 baht per month. Also I agree with one poster here who said that Thai's tend to share - share rooms to cut costs, share food, share any money earned when another is less fortunate. It's a lovely expression of friendship and loyalty and ensures they have a friend to turn to when they are in need, although I am sure they would prefer to have money constantly in their pocket or to hand.

Good luck with your plans.

April 20th, 2006, 19:53
on my cheap days I can spend around 20 to 30 pounds a day (1300 baht to 2000 baht) or ($35.00 to $50.00 or so dollars)I looked at these figures and thought, "Hmmm". So here's my typical expenditure on a "cheap" day (and this is in Bangkok which is, supposedly, more expensive than Pattaya (I find Phuket more expensive than Bangkok for many things))

Breakfast: either yoghurt from Villa Mart (20 baht) or breakfast at Delifrance (110 baht)
Lunch: either two serves of fruit from the vendor in the Soi outside (10 baht) or lunch at S&P (200 baht)
Coffee: at Chesters in Silom Complex with a friend: 55 baht
Dinner: I can get something to microwave from Villa (under 100 baht) or I can go to Soi 4 and spend something like 350 baht (I'm not a big drinker and anyway there's the booze cupboard at home)
Incidentals: Skytrain (30 baht or 60 baht, depending on number of trips)
Newspaper: I occasionally spend up big here - the Bangkok Post (25 baht)

So my "cheap" (actually standard) day in Bangkok is (range) 250 baht - 800 baht. How someone reaches 1300 baht and calls it a "cheap" day is beyond me! An expensive day is a massage (add 400 baht plus tip) and a blow-out is an evening of debauchery which can range from 1000 baht for a boy off gay.com (usually 1500 baht, however, but you can get lucky) to a night out in Soi Twilight where a drink and a boy is going to cost around 2100 baht (drink 220, off 400, tip 1500). So my "day of indulgence" could be all of 3000 baht. Are you guys actually trying to live inexpensively?

April 20th, 2006, 20:05
It wasn't worth saying twice

dab69
April 20th, 2006, 23:00
well it's better to hear about this and learn from experience than to go broke there learning.
and nice to know in advance how much spending power your 50K baht salary or allowance
per month actually has, on a day to day basis.
The actual learning curve might be a killer without this.

April 20th, 2006, 23:01
Cheap day in Pattaya (do not repeat everyday or will be bonkers):

Room: free
Breakfast, cereal, milk, and coffee in condo 20 baht
Street food: 2 dishes plus soda water 70 baht
Dinner: spaghetti in condo, fruit 50 baht
Go to beach: 60 baht
Entertainment: internet, reading, cable tv (20 baht prorated)

total: 220 baht

Add Thai boys, let the spending begin!

April 21st, 2006, 07:04
Well, there some sensible answers as to spending by local farang.

I will be coming to LOS in May for three months. I have a job that is Internet based, so I will be working 50-60 hours per week. I decided I wanted to see what living and working in LOS might be like while I have the opportunity (I am 37, and it will be awhile before I retire).

I plan on staying in Patong Beach (Phuket) because I know many people there (both expat and Thai) and because I love the small town feel with large city diversions and a great beach. The downside is that I vactioned here many times and the Thai people I know remember me as a very generous, big spending guy on vacation. I will not be spending money in such a generous fashion this trip, so it will be interesting to see how I am received.

I have taken a room at Aquaris Sauna mostly because it is the only place I can find with high speed Internet in the room. I'm paying 22K baht per month, but that includes all hotel and sauna privelidges, daily maid service, cable TV, room service, and wi-fi throughout the building. It is a nice room with a sitting area, full fridge, and patio. It also has a great rooftop deck with a jacuzzi. They pay all utilities. Toss in all the sauna facilities (pool, steam room, sauna, weight room), and it is a good enough bargain for me. Heck, I have all the diversions I need in one place as they also offer massage (with or without happy ending).

After rent, I plan on living on 20k baht per week, and I doubt I will have any issues sticking to this budget. There will be many days when I mostly stay in the hotel as I can work in my room and on the rooftop patio, have a jacuzzi or swim, watch a DVD in my room (the hotel has an extensive DVD library for rent). I can even go out for a couple of drinks at one of my favorite beer bars before bed and still spend 1,000 bt or less for the day(this includes three meals, a couple of beers, bottled water or soda, and maybe a DVD or beach chair rental).

I plan on offing a boy and having fun 2-3 times per week. Due to work, I probably can't go out until later in the evening, so even on nights when I treat a couple of friends to drinks and off a boy, I can't imagine spending more than 4,000bt (very high end). I know I can't do an entourage of 10 people for drinks and karoke until 5am in the morning like when on vacation. That's fine by me. I figure I will still have quite a nice time.

That's my plan. It makes it easier since I will bring my full time job with me, so I will not always be looking to be entertained. I'm also fairly happy with the range of things to do in my hotel (although my friends are having a good laugh becuase I'm moving into the bathhouse!). I hope to have a great time and actually save money living in Thailand.

Thanks for the frank advice on the numbers and what it takes to survive. Please let me know if anyone sees any flaws in my own budgeting.

Pete

April 21st, 2006, 07:37
Um ok, lets have a look at ur budget -

Cost of accommodation - 22000 baht = approx $US 580.00 (per month)

Weekly budget - 20000 baht = $US 530.00 = $US 2120.00 (per month)

Total per month = $US 2700.00 = $US 675.00 per week - lets say $US 700.00 per week in round figures OK?

And u can't do an entourage of 10 people until 5 am in the morning?

Oh hhaaaahahahaheheheh..............l

April 21st, 2006, 11:02
or yo put it another way, about 27000 baht per week - oh hahahahahahahahaha......

Where the f.. r u coming from - i mean it must be sooooo difficult for u

April 21st, 2006, 11:04
or yo put it another way, about 27000 baht per week - oh hahahahahahahahaha......

Where the f.. r u coming from - i mean it must be sooooo difficult for u

April 21st, 2006, 11:32
Well, I dunno. Where the f*** are you coming from? My point is that I certainly won't be spending money in LOS like I do when on vacation. I think that is the issue that every farang faces when he goes from vacation mode to everyday living mode as is evident on this thread. I wonder how others have adapted to that?

So, I take it you agree that 20k baht in weekly spending money (outside of rent) is adequate to enjoy the nightlife a few times a week and live decently enough? It is only $500 or so in USD. That is not a great amount if one is on vacation. Seems more than fair if one is not.

Pete

April 21st, 2006, 13:43
on my cheap days I can spend around 20 to 30 pounds a day (1300 baht to 2000 baht) or ($35.00 to $50.00 or so dollars)I looked at these figures and thought, "Hmmm". So here's my typical expenditure on a "cheap" day (and this is in Bangkok which is, supposedly, more expensive than Pattaya (I find Phuket more expensive than Bangkok for many things))

Breakfast: either yoghurt from Villa Mart (20 baht) or breakfast at Delifrance (110 baht)
Lunch: either two serves of fruit from the vendor in the Soi outside (10 baht) or lunch at S&P (200 baht)
Coffee: at Chesters in Silom Complex with a friend: 55 baht
Dinner: I can get something to microwave from Villa (under 100 baht) or I can go to Soi 4 and spend something like 350 baht (I'm not a big drinker and anyway there's the booze cupboard at home)
Incidentals: Skytrain (30 baht or 60 baht, depending on number of trips)
Newspaper: I occasionally spend up big here - the Bangkok Post (25 baht)

So my "cheap" (actually standard) day in Bangkok is (range) 250 baht - 800 baht. How someone reaches 1300 baht and calls it a "cheap" day is beyond me! An expensive day is a massage (add 400 baht plus tip) and a blow-out is an evening of debauchery which can range from 1000 baht for a boy off gay.com (usually 1500 baht, however, but you can get lucky) to a night out in Soi Twilight where a drink and a boy is going to cost around 2100 baht (drink 220, off 400, tip 1500). So my "day of indulgence" could be all of 3000 baht. Are you guys actually trying to live inexpensively?

Homintem, I think if you read back your own list of expenses you may need to explain whether you have accommodatiion which is free of charge or whether you live under a rock in Lumpini Park and therefore pay nothing. I like to live somewhere with a shower and a nice bed, so my costs of living include that - so for me the 'cheap days' (1300 baht to 2000 baht) include

accomm - 650 baht
other expenses 650 baht to 1350 baht

I am a smoker, a drinker and as fat as fat can be. The costs do add up and as well as considering accommodation costs (650 baht for me and over 2000 baht for one poster here) you have to consider such things as purchasing occasional items, medicines, sun creams, bug repellant, laundry, toiletries, telephone calls etc etc etc Unless you live in a vacuum, your list of what you spend on a cheap day or indeed on an expensive day is incorrect.

I did find Bangkok expensive in terms of nights out, especially the drinks and Phuket more expensive for accommodation. Pattaya is definitely the cheapest with the easiest gay scene to negotiate. Phuket is nicest in terms of the beach and Bangkok is easily the most polluted, although I have heard some describe Pattaya as a shit hole.

April 21st, 2006, 13:48
ok Pete, with great humility. I accept that u r able to afford $500 per week excluding accomodation costs in non-vacation mode. As a matter of interest, what would u spend (excluding accomodation) per week when on vacation?

April 21st, 2006, 14:42

Homi: Are you homeless? <g> Pro-rate your rent to a daily basis and add it to your B250-800.

My daily costs in Pattaya are very close to yours. I bought a condo cash, so I don't have any other cash outlay.

April 21st, 2006, 17:28
ok Pete, with great humility. I accept that u r able to afford $500 per week excluding accomodation costs in non-vacation mode. As a matter of interest, what would u spend (excluding accomodation) per week when on vacation?

I still wonder why $2,600 a month in total expenses seems so extravagant as that only equals appx $32K for a year. Remember, I'm going to be working a full time professional job and will be paid in American wages.

When on vacation, I spent far more than anyone ever needs to spend (buffalo me). However, as I look back on it, I had a truly fabulous time, and I could afford it, so I really don't regret a dime. I'm sure there will be other vacations in LOS that are the same. Yet, once again, I wouldn't dream of spending that way when not on a holiday. I will not be on holiday this go round. I have no real desire to spend extravagantly. Yet, I will already be socking away a nice portion of my income, so I'm not going to go whole hog on the frugal route.

From everything I'm reading here, I think I will be okay and might even spend less than I have budgeted.

Pete

April 21st, 2006, 17:49
No need to apologize for living your life as you wish to live it, at an expense level you are comfortable with.

If I gave details of my monthly budget, I'm sure some of the old bag ladies here would positively choke.

April 21st, 2006, 19:24
Standards of accommodation vary so stating what mine is and then including it as part of my daily average is meaningless, as is including the cost of my UBC subscription or my ADSL line, electricity, water etc. Those are fixed costs as far as I'm concerned - I choose to live somewhere, those costs are unavoidable, and occur monthly. Boys, food and drink are variable costs and occur daily. I guess if you're a tourist you have a daily accommodation cost but the original question had to do with "if I move to Thailand" and therefore accommodation can't be included in that equation since the costs are hugely different depending on what standard of accommodation you require. If we get some tourist who factors in accommodation answering the question than he's missed the point

ChrisUK
April 25th, 2006, 04:34
Hi Xstreamlove,

You have received plenty of knowledgeable advice so far and we can see that a breakdown of personal expenses is very variable depending on lifestyle and possible long-term relationships. From what you have said, I think you would probably fit into the pattern of expenses that Boxer, an expat, indicated in his excellent report in Thai Guys Magazine a couple of years ago and is still held in their archives at this link:
http://www.stickyrice.ws/tg/?view=pattaya/howmuch

The subject was raised by Smiles, who is preparing for expat retirement, in the Pattayagay Forum a couple of years ago. His thread can be found at this link (the links contained in the thread no longer work):
http://www.pattayagay.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3282

Also, in case you have not read them, I made a series of three reports covering an experiment of three stages where I tested the "Living in Thailand" experience. At the end of each report, I gave a summary of my expenses. Without trying, my Thailand expenses were consistent at about ┬г1,000 (70,000Bt). This seems to be a figure similar to many posting here. My reports can be found either in the Resource Forum (with responses) at:
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6755
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2197
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6954

Or in my Blog (without the responses) at:
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblog.php?w=25

Hope these are of help to you,

Chris.