PDA

View Full Version : Si Sa Ket

Patexpat
March 18th, 2010, 15:29
Just thought I'd share my Si Sa Ket experiences with you should you care to read.

I avoid travelling to Issan unless unavoidable for various reasons that I won't go in to here but suffice to say that a hotel bedroom without ensuite is my idea of roughing it beyond the pail.

Anyways, it was a 'family' wedding and so had little option but to attend, so off we went and arrived in Si Sa Ket town after about 7 hours or so and checked in to the Phromphiman Hotel towards the north side of the town. Had reserved the best room they had, newly refurbished, big LCD TV and the bath room even had well, a bath ... and a full size one too!

I'm easy to please (well sometimes) and so was well made up, especially as the railway station was nearby (I have a chilhood love of trains and heritage transport).

My bf village (Sri Kaeo) is about a 20 minute drive from the hotel is a part of the province famous for sweetcorn, although the lack of rain meant that this years crop is uncertain.

We met up with my bf friends - they have been friends every since school, and are now all in their early thirties, each with their respective career well in place; teachers, a nurse and one who had built up his own business wholesaling sweetcorn to Bangkok. It was a real joy to spend time with them, and the strength of their friendship was really good to experience.

A falang is still a novelty up there, and I received many stares (not hostile, just curious) from both young and old alike. I found it very funny when we arrived at a school just as they were lowering the Thai flag at the end of the day, the entire assembly pivoting there heads to look at a falang who knew their teacher (it was a middle school, ages about 8-12 at a guess).

It's fair to say that like a lot of rural Thailand there is no recognisable gay scene, but I was very surprised at how many readily available Issan boys and men there were. There was even a gay restaurant near my bf home run by a Khatoey who spent some time in Switzerland and took delight in being able to cook falang food for me. There was a steady parade of customers every time we were there, including it being a favourite stop off point on the way home for local students. By about 8pm most people were tucked up at home.

All in all a very relaxing few days, the wedding went off without a hitch, and a nice change of pace from working in Pattaya and a great deal of fun was had by all. It was certainly cheap too; a meal for all 6 of us including drinks in Si Sa Ket town was B1009 - at the local gay restaurant food and two bottles of whisk with mixers was B967. And none of that 'let's see how much we can rip this falang off for' either

Don't think I could live there, but certainly happy to go back for a break now and again.

[attachment=2:3vev3iii]DSCF1465.JPG[/attachment:3vev3iii]

[attachment=1:3vev3iii]DSCF1469.JPG[/attachment:3vev3iii]

[attachment=0:3vev3iii]DSCF1557.JPG[/attachment:3vev3iii]

Dodger
March 18th, 2010, 16:17
Pat, thanks for sharing your experince.

As a freqent vistor to SS myself I was interested in your experience, although actually prefer staying in the country during my stays.

If by chance you return, you may want to visit the waterfalls in Khun Han which are probably an hour drive from your location.

Yes, there is a lot of eye candy up in that neck of the woods, especially in-and-around the the various national and Buddhist holidays. There are actually more cute boys running around Si Saket in April during Songkran than in BKK and PTY combined, and that's where I will be staying during that period as well. I just love seeing them truly enjoying life in their natural habitats.

Thanks again

Smiles
March 18th, 2010, 16:27
Thanks for this sweet story Patexpat.
And especially thanks for including those excellent photos of very handsome 'mature' Thai men. A pleasing antidote to the oh-so-common shots of 18 year old beanpoles cruising Dongtan Beach and Sunnee Plaza.

" ... We met up with my bf friends - they have been friends every since school, and are now all in their early thirties, each with their respective career well in place; teachers, a nurse and one who had built up his own business wholesaling sweetcorn to Bangkok. It was a real joy to spend time with them, and the strength of their friendship was really good to experience ... "So true. My guy has a group of the same in his village ... some still there, some scattered. But when they meet up back home (for similar reasons as your new friends) and get together, I may as well disappear for a solitary walk into the jungle. :tard:

March 18th, 2010, 16:27
Don't forget this place:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/10 ... ottles.php (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/10/temple-built-from-beer-bottles.php)

Patexpat
March 18th, 2010, 16:36
Don't forget this place:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/10 ... ottles.php (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/10/temple-built-from-beer-bottles.php)

OK - on my list as a must do .... not that I even like Heineken ;-)

Beachlover
March 18th, 2010, 16:48
Nice trip report.

I'm getting to that age where my mates are splitting for the four corners of the globe... it's kind of like an era has passed and we're each on our own now. I'm sure we'll get together in a similar way when we're in our 30s like these Thai guys.

TrongpaiExpat
March 18th, 2010, 21:01
Thanks for the report. The BF and I take about one trip a month and many are to Isaan. I enjoy traveling all over Thailand but Issan has some special charms that you don't find in the usual tourist places.

bao-bao
March 18th, 2010, 21:25
Thank you for the story, Patexpat. Such shares are the reason I'm still around on the board, and I appreciated reading it. If you by any chance have photos from the wedding ceremony that you are free to share I'd love to see a couple of those, too. A good friend of mine had a traditional Muslim wedding but prefers not to have the images on the web, dammit.

My guy has a group of the same in his village ... some still there, some scattered. But when they meet up back home (for similar reasons as your new friends) and get together, I may as well disappear for a solitary walk into the jungle. :tard:

Smiles, this is probably the perfectly fair counterpoint to the countless times I've seen a Thai staring at a cell phone or the same cuticle for an hour or so while the three farang at the same table are solving the problems of the world (or discussing the abilities of some gogo boy) in English... or German... or whatever - HA! :rolling:

bao-bao
March 18th, 2010, 22:24
By the way, I also appreciate both the slightly more mature looking men - and the camaraderie shared so freely amongst them in the name of maintaining a healthy level of sanuk whenever possible. These three were of a group of four who were the handymen/maintenance guys at a 12-bungalow riverside resort I stayed at this trip. They painted, worked with cinder block and mortar, fished, landscaped, etc. and were fun to visit with, although most of it was limited to pantomime.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/W-ResortWorkers1.jpg

joe552
March 19th, 2010, 03:06
Thanks for the report. Always good to read others' experiences. The photo of the 'Heineken' Wat brought back many memories of my visit to Sisaket. Was there with a friend's family and thought it was quite bizarre. But an iconic structure and well worth a visit.

DamienZ
March 20th, 2010, 17:24
Thanks for the report Pat. I had the good fortune/misfortune of dating a man from that neck of the woods for about 6 months. Unfortunately we never got the chance to visit Si Sa Ket and his family prior to our farewells. Looks like a good place to visit, chill, and take some nice photos.

Thanks again for the great trip report glad you and yours had a good time.
DZ
:study: