PDA

View Full Version : Ole' or not to Ole' That is the question!

Marsilius
March 17th, 2010, 21:38
And a belated tribute too, many years after it closed, to Walter's small and unpretentious - not to say positively nondescript - place in (I think) Soi 14 near the Second Road / South Pattaya Road intersection in South Pattaya.

Walter himself, an Austrian I believe, did a lot of the cooking and produced absolutely the best spaghetti carbonara that I have eaten anywhere in the world. I have never tasted any other version of this dish as good, either before or since.

The only drawback of going there was that, on entering, you felt like you were interrupting a secret meeting of Walter and his elderly German-speaking chums. They were invariably the only other customers and all seated at a single table. These 70 years old guys would look round suspiciously as you came into the place and reduce their conversation to a very discrete murmur. The friend who often accompanied me told me that their behaviour always made him think that they must have been a group of Nazi war criminals still on the run and hiding out in Pattaya.

Never, as far as I know, "reviewed" by the Pattaya Mail's Miss Terry Diner - no loss there, then - Walter's is sadly missed by me at least.

TOQ
March 18th, 2010, 06:23
Ole or Not to Ole -- Not a chance anymore. I agree that before the restaurant was sold the food,the menu items, were good. I ate the buffet twice , once before the sale and just right after it. Boring to say the least. If you like buffet try Cherry's on Wed night.. They have a much wider and more tasty selection. 295B

john

atri1666
March 18th, 2010, 10:01
Sad to hear. Was some years my place - now i can save my time going there.