PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette One More

March 16th, 2010, 06:47
Can someone who is fluent in the Thai language tell me why boys ask for a cigarette by saying "Cigarette one more"

I know a little Thai so my translation of 'cigarette one more' would be something like 'Bourri ick neung'. Is that what Thais say to each other when asking for a ciggy?

And why when they ask do they never use the word please? I have tried telling them that what they are saying in English sounds plain rude and that what they should say is 'May I have a cigarette, please' but I am a not a teacher or a linguist so my good intentions fall on deaf ears.

Can anyone help?

ps. This is a question about language so please can the anti-smoking league butt out just for once?

March 16th, 2010, 07:45
Its a matter of how Thai grammer is constructed, and boys will often just translate the Thai words into English words without understanding English grammer. As for "please", thats a cultural thing and it could fill volumes. Money boys are not going to be interested in the nuances of the English language or of western culture. 'Please' in English is one word, while Thai has several different versions depending on the context, and its not used in the same way as in English. After living here for a while, I realise that native English speakers are obsessed with "please' and 'thank you'.

March 16th, 2010, 08:05
Since the phrase in Thai has no single word that translates directly as "please", it is no mystery why it doesn't come through when Thai boys attempt a word-for-word translation.

March 16th, 2010, 14:24
Its a matter of how Thai grammer is constructed, and boys will often just translate the Thai words into English words without understanding English grammer.

Thanks for that.
I am not too worried about the cultural lack of please and thank you (even though Thais have a reputation of being polite) but I am still very curious about the phrase 'cigarette one more'.
When asking for a drink boys have said to me ' Beer Singha' which is accompanied by a smile and maybe even a wai but cigarettes are a different matter. Quite often it appears that I am 'told' Cigarette one more and a hand is thrust forward ... as if it's an order rather than a request!
If they translate word for word, would Thai boys asking each other for a cigarette say: 'Bourri ick neung' or what?

March 16th, 2010, 18:28
You can't just say "buree eek neung". There has to be a measure word. For cigarettes, it is "muan".

The correct way to ask for a cigarette would be р╕Вр╕нр╕Ър╕╕р╕лр╕гр╕╠¡Ñ€â•£Ð˜Ñ€â••Ð½Ñ€â••â•¡Ñ€â••Ð‘р╕бр╣Йр╕Р·Ñ€â••Ð©Ñ€â••Ð»Ñ€â••Ð©Ñ€â••â•¢Ñ€â•£Ð˜Ñ€â••Ð— ("khor buree eek muan neung")...literally, "request cigarette more roll one").

Is it any mystery why Thai comes out garbled if you try to translate it into English word-for-word?

cdnmatt
March 16th, 2010, 18:49
And why when they ask do they never use the word please? I have tried telling them that what they are saying in English sounds plain rude and that what they should say is 'May I have a cigarette, please' but I am a not a teacher or a linguist so my good intentions fall on deaf ears.

I've noticed the same too, Seems as though in Thailand, when you want food, a beer, or something like like that, just simply spit out what you want. Don't worry about "please", "thank you", or anything of that shit. Throw in a "kap" for good measure, but that's about it. I've always thought it as rude too, but when questioning Kim about it, he just shrugs his shoulders, gives me the "deer in a headlights" stare, and says that's just the way it works.

But if you're asking for other things, such as a maybe a fan, extra plate, or an ashtray for example, then it seems to be ok to ask politely with something like, "khor tii-kia-bullii daai mai khap". With things such as food, beer, and cigarettes though, don't worry about it. Just blurt out what you want, as it's perfectly acceptable, although seems rude to us.

Same as when for example, you're out with a few Thais at a bar, and the wait staff will come by to fill up your glasses. You'll basically never hear them say thanks to the staff, or even look at them for that matter. I think that's downright rude, but everyone seems to think it's totally fine. *shrug*

March 16th, 2010, 19:46
You can't just say "buree eek neung". There has to be a measure word. For cigarettes, it is "muan".

The correct way to ask for a cigarette would be р╕Вр╕нр╕Ър╕╕р╕лр╕гр╕╠¡Ñ€â•£Ð˜Ñ€â••Ð½Ñ€â••â•¡Ñ€â••Ð‘р╕бр╣Йр╕Р·Ñ€â••Ð©Ñ€â••Ð»Ñ€â••Ð©Ñ€â••â•¢Ñ€â•£Ð˜Ñ€â••Ð— ("khor buree eek muan neung")...literally, "request cigarette more roll one").

Is it any mystery why Thai comes out garbled if you try to translate it into English word-for-word?

Thank you so much for a very helpful answer.
Just one more question ... I can understand the word for word translation of "request cigarette (roll) one" but why the "more"? 'Cigarette one more' seems to be a very odd way of asking - especially if I haven't ever given the boy any cigarettes before. If he's never had any from me, how can he have "more"?

March 16th, 2010, 20:08
If you have not given him one before, remove the "eek" (more). It wouldn't make sense with it there.

March 17th, 2010, 08:58

I've noticed the same too, Seems as though in Thailand, when you want food, a beer, or something like like that, just simply spit out what you want. Don't worry about "please", "thank you", or anything of that shit. Throw in a "kap" for good measure, but that's about it. I've always thought it as rude too, but when questioning Kim about it, he just shrugs his shoulders, gives me the "deer in a headlights" stare, and says that's just the way it works.

But if you're asking for other things, such as a maybe a fan, extra plate, or an ashtray for example, then it seems to be ok to ask politely with something like, "khor tii-kia-bullii daai mai khap". With things such as food, beer, and cigarettes though, don't worry about it. Just blurt out what you want, as it's perfectly acceptable, although seems rude to us.

Same as when for example, you're out with a few Thais at a bar, and the wait staff will come by to fill up your glasses. You'll basically never hear them say thanks to the staff, or even look at them for that matter. I think that's downright rude, but everyone seems to think it's totally fine. *shrug*

Kap (or Krup) makes it polite, however it sounds to you. And in Thailand, the waiter (or the staff in 7-11 or whatever) thanks the customter for using their service and spending money in their establishment, rather than the other way round. Which is logical when you think about it.