PDA

View Full Version : accident on Theppasit (?) Road

dab69
March 15th, 2010, 07:09
anyone happen across an accident on the road to Jomtien last Tuesday?
Was just on my way to the beach and what I saw was not good- two
older expats - one going to the hospital and the other wasn't .
never heard any details as I couldn't get on here during my stay in TH.

PeterUK
March 15th, 2010, 18:16
I understand that a Russian on a motorcycle ran into a sixtyish American crossing the road. The American suffered a broken neck and died in hospital after several days in a coma; the Russian was also taken to hospital but not in a critical condition. Just to round off this unhappy little tale, I also understand that, somewhere between the scene of the accident and the hospital, all the American's valuables - wallet, wristwatch, ring - went missing, presumed stolen.

March 15th, 2010, 18:18
I understand that a Russian on a motorcycle ran into a sixtyish American crossing the road. The American suffered a broken neck and died in hospital after several days in a coma; the Russian was also taken to hospital but not in a critical condition. Just to round off this unhappy little tale, I also understand that, somewhere between the scene of the accident and the hospital, all the American's valuables - wallet, wristwatch, ring - went missing, presumed stolen.

Damn!!

They missed you again!!

:occasion9:

dab69
March 16th, 2010, 00:20
saw a neck brace on his as they were ready to stretcher him on a big ambulance to the hospital.
presumed the other farang was dead also, as he laid on the pavement.
thought the guy laying on the pavement had expired also as we were just passing.

a wallet + wristwatch , etc. were the least of the guys worries I am sure.

March 16th, 2010, 00:42
PattayaOne News is a Tv, Radio and Internet News network based in Pattaya Thailand

http://www.pattayaone.net/

quiet1
March 16th, 2010, 10:51
PattayaOne News is a Tv, Radio and Internet News network based in Pattaya Thailand

http://www.pattayaone.net/
bono1love: Did you post in the right thread? What does an explanation of PattayaOne have to do with this thread? I clicked on the link, but found no news article relevant to the accident.

quiet1
March 18th, 2010, 13:43
The deceased American accident victim was a good friend of a close friend of mine. I e-mailed him about the valuables, and he replied:

"As far as I know ****** had nothing stolen from him but the money in his wallet.
The police still have his watch. ???? Cremation Service is today from 3pm.
They are still looking for the Russian that hit him. "

I don't want to be pressing my friend for too many intimate details of the accident and the aftermath. I'm just letting him vent his frustration to me to the extent he wants to share. However, since some details of the accident were publicly stated here, I wanted to get clarification.

BTW, there was a *LOT* of frustration dealing with a certain hospital in Pattaya.

bao-bao
March 18th, 2010, 21:44
Sorry to hear about this, Quiet1. It's always a shock, regardless of the details.

Coming back from a late dinner a bit south of Jomtien one night during that same time frame I was looking out into the near-darkness along that road and chatting with my friend when I heard (somewhere relatively close behind us) the loud, concussive sound of a collision. No horns, no squealing of brakes, just the loud, low "WHUMP" of the impact. Being a good American (we can be such voyeurs) I craned my neck back to see what had happened, but only thought I saw a motorcycle on its side. My friend, both hands on the wheel, never even broke stride in his story.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, interrupting him "That was an accident back there. Aren't you supposed to stop and offer assistance?" "Maybe," he said. "Well, yes, we're supposed to, but what could I do?" "Well, you're a doctor, for a start," I began, but he cut me off, saying "I don't have a bag with me, and if it was a motorcycle it's a matter for the coroner to clean up." Not judgmental, not flip, just stated in that "if it's your time, it's your time" manner I still don't quite "get."

TrongpaiExpat
March 18th, 2010, 22:00
A few years back I was walking along Second Rd in Pattaya at the South Road intersection and I noticed a well nourished 50-something farang on a motocy going very fast, northbound. He then hit a parked car, the motocy smashed into the car and flung him in an upward arch and he landed quite some distance from the point of the collision.

There must have been 20 or so witness and I remember very vividly many of the Thai making a OHHOOOOO sound as he was flying in the air and when he landed some mimicked the sound of him hitting the pavement, splack as they looked at each other seemly amused by the spectacle.

Latter, I noticed two policemen pick him up, one by both ankles and the other holding his wrists. The police then got in a good swing motion and threw him in the back of a police pick-up like a sack of rice. I hope he was dead. This amused the spectators too.

March 19th, 2010, 00:22
Rule one for safe and trouble-free living in Thailand: do not get involved.

March 19th, 2010, 00:56
A few years back I was walking along Second Rd in Pattaya at the South Road intersection and I noticed a well nourished 50-something farang on a motocy going very fast, northbound. He then hit a parked car, the motocy smashed into the car and flung him in an upward arch and he landed quite some distance from the point of the collision.

There must have been 20 or so witness and I remember very vividly many of the Thai making a OHHOOOOO sound as he was flying in the air and when he landed some mimicked the sound of him hitting the pavement, splack as they looked at each other seemly amused by the spectacle.

Latter, I noticed two policemen pick him up, one by both ankles and the other holding his wrists. The police then got in a good swing motion and threw him in the back of a police pick-up like a sack of rice. I hope he was dead. This amused the spectators too.

The moral of that story Trongpai is to never ride motorcycles in Thailand...................

Beachlover
March 19th, 2010, 21:23
Why is it that you shouldn't help?... I remember hearing the reasons why, once but forget what they were now.

This is one thing that really does irk me about Thailand. The fact that if you are in a road accident, bystanders won't come to your aid. And also that if you see an accident, you should not stop to help.

It goes so strongly against what you're taught to do in developed countries.

March 19th, 2010, 21:30
Why is it that you shouldn't help?... I remember hearing the reasons why, once but forget what they were now.

This is one thing that really does irk me about Thailand. The fact that if you are in a road accident, bystanders won't come to your aid. And also that if you see an accident, you should not stop to help.

It goes so strongly against what you're taught to do in developed countries.

No reasons whatsoever Beach, I think it really boils down to "those that do, and those that don't"..........

rincondog
March 19th, 2010, 21:46
I'm not sure where people get the idea that Thai's don't help accident victims. Maybe that is the case in major city areas. However, I have seen aid being given to auto accident victims by Thai's in more rural areas long before any emergency aid has arrived on the scene.

March 20th, 2010, 00:15

This isn't a "fact". It's anecdotal rubbish.

The theory about why "if you see an accident, you should not stop to help" is that as a farang you will automatically be blamed and liable to pay compensation, even if you were not involved. Again, anecdotal rubbish (although unless you have some medical knowledge there may not be much constructive you can do, as SawangBoriboon, or the equivalent, followed by the police, will somehow be summoned and appear).

I also understand that, somewhere between the scene of the accident and the hospital, all the American's valuables - wallet, wristwatch, ring - went missing, presumed stolen.

It would be interesting to know just where (or who) you understood that from (as it would be interesting to know how anyone apart from the deceased knew how much money he had in his wallet).