PDA

View Full Version : What is your budget when you live in Thailand? (POLL)

Cees-Holland
March 14th, 2010, 18:17
Inspired by the topic "cost of living in bkk " I thought it would interesting to know what people are spending during their stay in Thailand.
- This poll is for people who live in Thailand full time or part time.
- Choose 30.00 - 40.000 even when you spend Less then that, if possible write your budget in a reply.

March 14th, 2010, 18:27
maybe you need to clarify if you mean tourists or people living here? i expect there will be a big difference between their budgets

lonelywombat
March 14th, 2010, 18:32
As I own my own condo the cost of rent is not included. I budget for 3000 to 5000 baht per day to include all food, drinks,land travel costs and offing boys.

Your poll is not really effective it its present form.

Koh Samui Luv
March 14th, 2010, 18:58
I know people living in BKK on 20,000 Baht a month and having one hell of a good time. You have no place in your poll for them to check! You could have at least put in one for UNDER 30,000 too.

Cees-Holland
March 14th, 2010, 19:05
I know people living in BKK on 20,000 Baht a month and having one hell of a good time. You have no place in your poll for them to check! You could have at least put in one for UNDER 30,000 too.
Good idea, however I can't change the Poll any more. If I do all previous results will be deleted.

March 14th, 2010, 19:12
Even though quite a few of us live on above the average Income, who are retired here, I hope it does not stop those living on much less, telling us what they do with out, as I'm sure many of us speand on things we could do with out if we had to, if your like me, we can live well on over 100,000 a month, but still spend more, same as those living on 35,000 do as well.

Thai Dyed
March 14th, 2010, 19:14
[quote="Koh Samui Luv":1c11p7q7]I know people living in BKK on 20,000 Baht a month and having one hell of a good time. You have no place in your poll for them to check! You could have at least put in one for UNDER 30,000 too.
Good idea, however I can't change the Poll any more. If I do all previous results will be deleted.[/quote:1c11p7q7]

Well, so far I guess it won't make much difference since most the guys here seem to be of the fat cat high roller variety.
[attachment=0:1c11p7q7]Fat Cat High Roller.jpg[/attachment:1c11p7q7]

cdnmatt
March 15th, 2010, 03:07
Our budget for living in Thailand, or our cost of living? I'm assuming it's the latter. Honestly, I don't really know as I don't keep track, but I'd be pretty surprised to find out it's more than 50,000 baht. That's for two of us, with throwing some money mama's way every once in a while. Then again, I no longer ever go to go-go bars, tourist areas, never off boys, never goto farang restaurants, etc. We're not on a budget or anything, but without traveling all over Thailand and SE Asia, I can't see how we'd spend more than 50,000 baht a month, to be honest.

March 15th, 2010, 04:36
...........Then again, I no longer ever go to go-go bars, tourist areas, never off boys, never goto farang restaurants, etc. ...

About time you fucked off back to Canada then....

:hello1:

March 15th, 2010, 09:31
"Never off boys"? Off a different boy every day, or off one boy for 9 months...same-same not different.

quiet1
March 15th, 2010, 10:59
I really don't track my spending closely. I simply use ATM withdrawals from my Thai savings account throughout the year for money, and then transfer money once per year from the USA to top up my savings account for my annual retirement extension.

Last year I transferred B321,000, so that works out to slightly less than B27,000 per month that I spent in the previous twelve months.

I do own my own condo here, so if I had to pay rent, it'd be that much more.

March 15th, 2010, 22:53
Last year I transferred B321,000, so that works out to slightly less than B27,000 per month that I spent in the previous twelve months.

"quiet" would seem an appropriate title in that case.

The simple solution to how to account for rental costs, and what I imagine most have doneis to just add on what it would cost now to rent if you are an "owner/occupier.

I don't know whether to be sorry for or jealous of those posting a breakdown of their monthly costs: no pets, no vets' bills, no medical problems or medical insurance, no arthritis or cholesterol, no doctor's fees or hospital bills, perfect teeth despite no visits to the dentist, perfect eyesight and no glasses (possibly the result of no books or newspapers), no cars, no travel, no holidays, no sports or hobbies (apart from SGF), no new phones, laptops or TVs, and not even any clothes. Truly living like a king (or even an emperor).

March 15th, 2010, 22:56
.... I don't really know as I don't keep track, but I'd be pretty surprised to find out it's more than 50,000 baht. ..... I can't see how we'd spend more than 50,000 baht a month, to be honest.

No idea what you eat, and now no idea what you spend. How old are you?

francois
March 16th, 2010, 00:47

"quiet" would seem an appropriate title in that case.
I don't know whether to be sorry for or jealous of those posting a breakdown of their monthly costs: no pets, no vets' bills, no medical problems or medical insurance, no arthritis or cholesterol, no doctor's fees or hospital bills, perfect teeth despite no visits to the dentist, perfect eyesight and no glasses (possibly the result of no books or newspapers), no cars, no travel, no holidays, no sports or hobbies (apart from SGF), no new phones, laptops or TVs, and not even any clothes. Truly living like a king (or even an emperor).

And most importantly, no boyfriend!

cdnmatt
March 16th, 2010, 04:27
.... I don't really know as I don't keep track, but I'd be pretty surprised to find out it's more than 50,000 baht. ..... I can't see how we'd spend more than 50,000 baht a month, to be honest.

Why have you all of a sudden gotten such a hard-on for me lately? Having a bad week, or something? If you're pissy because I've made a few snide remarks towards you, it's only because you did it first. Treat people how you want to be treated, and all that jazz. If you decide to be condescending, then don't get pissed off when people treat you the same.

And no, I have no clue what I eat most of the time. Today was rice, topped with a bunch of onions, tomatoes, pineapple, etc... plus some sauce and chicken. No clue what it's called, but it tasted good. Same goes for every day. Like I've stated before on this board, I don't particularly care for farang food while in Thailand, because it's generally four times as expensive, and 85% of the time is shit compared to Thai food. Thais know how to cook farang food about as good as farangs know how to cook Thai food, which isn't very.

That, and if I go around spending 500 baht on meals all the time, guess what's going to happen? Kim's going to be showing up with new clothes everyday, etc. It's "our life" now, so if I'm allowed to spend that kind of money, so is he. Right now, he's awesome with money, and I'd like to keep it that way. He spends what he needs to, but never goes over the line. I'm learning the Thai dishes as I go, but there seems to be several thousand of them, so it'll be a while.

And no, I don't keep track of how much we spend on a daily / monthly basis. I just looked for you though, and it was $2500 USD in the past 30 days, so obviously, quite a bit higher than I originally thought. I'm a software developer who makes money online, so all those things such as basic accounting and book keeping are automated for me, so I don't worry about them. Instead, I concentrate on making sure I don't have to worry about those things.

Happy now? Or still bitter?

quiet1
March 16th, 2010, 11:05
I don't know whether to be sorry for or jealous of those posting a breakdown of their monthly costs: no pets, no vets' bills, no medical problems or medical insurance, no arthritis or cholesterol, no doctor's fees or hospital bills, perfect teeth despite no visits to the dentist, perfect eyesight and no glasses (possibly the result of no books or newspapers), no cars, no travel, no holidays, no sports or hobbies (apart from SGF), no new phones, laptops or TVs, and not even any clothes. Truly living like a king (or even an emperor).Hmmm. You pointed out a factor I forgot to include: health insurance. Last year I paid B33,500 for health insurance in Thailand, so that's another ~B2800 per month.

That is the only non-cash expense I have while in Thailand. I never use my credit cards here, with the exception of that insurance payment, so it slipped my mind.

So, to revise my previous statement of my monthly costs for living in Thailand, if I added on B20,000 for renting a condo/apartment, would come to about to about B50,000/month.

(What I did *not* include in that amount is what I spend travelling, and what I spend on upkeep of a house I have in the USA.)

However, you made some correct assumptions: No pets/vet bills, no arthritis or cholesterol problems, perfect teeth despite no visits to the dentist (other than cleaning), good eyesight (only reading glasses that I buy in Japan for ~$US1), no car/moto-sai, no new phones (I'm on my 2nd mobile in ten years), rarely need new clothes (at least not enough to make a difference in a monthly budget). Nor do I smoke, nor do I rarely drink, although when I do, I drink substantially. (Some forum members will bear witness to that...)

Smiles
March 16th, 2010, 11:23
" ... I rarely drink, although when I do, I drink substantially. (Some forum members will bear witness to that) ... "
I actually stopped at "I rarely drink" and conjured up an appropriate sarcastic comment ~ all within the time of an eye blink ~ but then, smartly, read on.
So I won't, after all, be sarcastic :rolling:

March 16th, 2010, 15:08
i live in my own condo and use company car. sometimes i pay for the fuel, eat reasonably well go beerring and whoreing 2 times a wek cinema 1 time. max spend 7000 a week normal spend 5000.
thats chiang mai for you

Beachlover
March 16th, 2010, 18:16

Why have you all of a sudden gotten such a hard-on for me lately? Having a bad week, or something? If you're pissy because I've made a few snide remarks towards you, it's only because you did it first.

It's called bitter old f*ckstick syndrome. GF's had it for years. The arrive of a bright positive board members triggers a relapse every time.

yedo111
March 17th, 2010, 06:45
Alone I would say about 30000 baht for a month.

With my bf in Chiang Mai maybe together we spend 50000 , most things are very cheap up there.

Reading the poll I see 9 members have answered they spend nearly 200k a month. Surely that must be a joke?

Even in Europe it will be difficult to spend that much money.....

March 17th, 2010, 14:19

With my bf in Chiang Mai maybe together we spend 50000 , most things are very cheap up there.

Reading the poll I see 9 members have answered they spend nearly 200k a month. Surely that must be a joke?

200k/mth .... easy.

Rent 60000 leaving 140k. 140/30 = 4666/day

Examples for 1 night out:
a. Dinner+Wine at Sphinx = 1500, 2 drinks in Soi Twilight = 500, Off = 500. Boy tip = 1500 ...... Total for night out = 4000.
b. Dinner+Beers at Dicks Cafe = 500, 5 drinks not in go-go bar = 500, Massage+Tip = 1500, Shopping on Silom = 1500 ...... Total for night out = 4000.
c. Dinner at Amor = 1200, Drinks in Boyztown = 1000, 2 x Offs = 800, Trip to NAB with offs but no sex = 1000 ...... Total for night out = 4000.
d. Dinner at Mata Hari = 1500, Drinks+Show at The Venue 500, Drinks+Off in Boyztown = 1000, Boy Tip = 1000 ...... Total for night out = 4000.

4000 x 30 days = 120000

Travel, Phone, INet, Cable TV, Electric, Water, Maid, Clothes, etc.etc = over 20000

Total: 60000+120000+20000 = 200000

Yes, it is easy to spend less but if you have the money why not spend it and enjoy yourself.

witchhunt
March 17th, 2010, 18:02
I stay a maximum of 3 weeks and my condo is included in this.Air fares and taxis to/from airport are not.

I budget every night 3000baht but carry 5000 with me just in case. 300+ for dinner and extra for drinks.
A boy most nights not long time.
Breakfast around Sunee.
or lunch on beach at Jomtien
Dont waste time in bar beers in Sunee.
Like to make selection and take home.
Good tip for good service.
have a lot of boys for seconds.

March 17th, 2010, 18:47

Difficult? LOL.

I'd find it difficult to spend LESS than 200K per month.

Beachlover
March 17th, 2010, 19:05
Easy... for someone with higher standards in Bangkok... 100k for rent... 20k for utilities and various overheads... leaves 80k.. decent couple of meals every day... getting around... a couple of nights a week out. Easy to go through 200k a month.

As for not being able to spend that living in Europe... I know Europe is generally more expensive than Australia and here it's pretty easy to go through 200k ($AUD6k) a month. $650/week rent... $50-$100/week utilities and overheads... $600/week getting around, food, dining out, drinks expenses... and other misc stuff... hits $1,500 x 4 = $6k.

March 17th, 2010, 21:58
" ... I rarely drink, although when I do, I drink substantially. (Some forum members will bear witness to that) ... "
I actually stopped at "I rarely drink" and conjured up an appropriate sarcastic comment ~ all within the time of an eye blink ~ but then, smartly, read on.
So I won't, after all, be sarcastic :rolling:

Actually it was "nor do I rarely drink"!

March 17th, 2010, 22:10
(What I did *not* include in that amount is what I spend travelling, and what I spend on upkeep of a house I have in the USA.)

However, you made some correct assumptions: No pets/vet bills, no arthritis or cholesterol problems, perfect teeth despite no visits to the dentist (other than cleaning), good eyesight (only reading glasses that I buy in Japan for ~$US1), no car/moto-sai, no new phones (I'm on my 2nd mobile in ten years), rarely need new clothes (at least not enough to make a difference in a monthly budget). Nor do I smoke, nor do I rarely drink, although when I do, I drink substantially. (Some forum members will bear witness to that...)

quiet1, that was my point with a lot of these "live like a king on backpacker money" claims. While many are valid as far as they go, they are far from a valid reflection of the overall cost of some lifestyles. In your case, for example, while you divided your expenditure in Thailand by 12 to get a monthly figure I am guessing that you spent at least some time in Japan and the States, possibly elsewhere. I would also guess that if you know you have no cholesterol problem then you have an annual medical. It may sound nit-picking, but you would be surprised how it all adds up.

cdnmatt
March 17th, 2010, 22:22

Yeah, I don't quite understand how people can spend 200,000+ baht per month in Thailand either. Well, I guess I could if I wanted, but that'd just be stupid. The only way I could ever see us spending that kind of money, is if we went on two 4 - 5 day holidays a month, one of which was outside of Thailand. It must be the folk who reside in Thailand for 3 - 6 months out of the year. Then they're in vacation mode, and then I can actually see it.

As for the Europe, easily doable. Same as downtown Vancouver. 200,000 baht/month in downtown Van only affords you a fairly basic life, where you have to watch your nights out, what you buy at the grocery store, etc. Then places like Amsterdam or Geneva are far more expensive than downtown Van.

March 17th, 2010, 22:29

Why have you all of a sudden gotten such a hard-on for me lately? Having a bad week, or something? If you're pissy because I've made a few snide remarks towards you, it's only because you did it first.

It's called bitter old f*ckstick syndrome. GF's had it for years. The arrive of a bright positive board members triggers a relapse every time.

Matt, that's the last thing you would give me - I must have missed the "snide remarks", and I actually think I've been fairly mild in view of what I could have said, not that there's much point. As I've said before, I think you are well meaning and genuine, just unbelievably naive, so I think its best to leave it at that - maybe you'll understand later, and I hope you don't get hurt too much when that happens.

BL, I think I preferred you in your Colonel/Homintern guise, as at least there you were able to make some clever but caustic comments. Now, presumably, you have to play dumb to fit the character. When anyone notices "the arrive of a bright positive board members" maybe they'll let me know.

March 17th, 2010, 23:36

Yeah, I don't quite understand how people can spend 200,000+ baht per month in Thailand either. Well, I guess I could if I wanted, but that'd just be stupid.

I don't spend as much as that (I own my own house, which I maintain myself, and don't go out to bars or indulge in expensive meals), but I fail to see why it is considered extravagant or even "stupid". I am not knocking those that are living happily on considerably less, but I can't help thinking that for some (but by no means all) c'est pas vivre, c'est survivre. I also can't help noticing the old claim that things are so much cheaper in Chaing Mai, Issan, Nakhon Nowhere, etc. Some things, yes, but comparing like for like other things (generally the more expensive things) are the same price and even, if available, more expensive.

Life isn't just about nights out, bars, restaurants, "beering and whoreing", etc, for some of us living here full time, but that doesn't mean we live like monks or necessarily spend any less than those for whom it is all important. Cars, for example, cost the same to buy and maintain throughout Thailand and are a major expense (often more than the equivalent in the West), but for most people in the West owning one is normal, if not a necessity - we have a car for regular use and a pick up for "work", and a couple of motorbikes; we could make do with only one car, admittedly, but we live in the country and it would simply not be possible to get by without it, without even considering the "normal" option of just going out for a pleasant drive whenever you want. Having my own car (or at least a large motorbike) is just something I have taken for granted since I stopped existing on a student's grant. Buying a washing machine, a TV, electrical goods, etc, is an ongoing expense for most people in the West as it is for some here, and not just part of keeping up with the Jones's, and again costs do not vary from city to countryside. My monthly vet's bills have occasionally (thankfully not often) come to more than some people's total monthly outgoings (30,000 baht+); in the UK or the States I would be faced with far higher costs (and I would probably keep a horse, which is not that unusual), but if I were to move to the area in Issan we like the nearest vet would be an hour and a half away (as would the nearest hospital). Personally I do not think owning pets (and being responsible for them) is "stupid" - for me, it was something I was not able to do when working due to moving regularly, so it was one of the bonuses of retiring and one which I feel is not unreasonable to pay for.

I can't see the point in knocking someone for living more cheaply or more expensively than yourself, unless it is because they are giving unrealistic advice - we all enjoy doing different things, and we all have different priorities with how we spend our money. I would sooner leave and go back to work than live in a condo, no matter whether it was a "studio" in Sunee or a "penthouse" in the Royal Cliff; on the other hand many people would be genuinely unable to sleep in my house, worrying about whether they would have to face-off the snakes or the neighbourhood mad axe-man. Personally I like living somewhere where, although we usually lock the gate when we go out, we never lock the doors and windows or even bother to close them unless it looks like rain.

I guess people will never stop asking how much it costs to live in Thailand, but really it is just as unanswerable as how much does it cost to live in the UK, the US, Canada, Australia, etc. Just how long was that piece of string ......?

March 18th, 2010, 00:53
Surely that must be a joke? Even in Europe it will be difficult to spend that much money.....
Not at all: http://www.sothebys.com/ http://www.christies.com/ Thailand is a happy hunting ground for art objects, too.

Beachlover
March 18th, 2010, 17:02
BL, I think I preferred you in your Colonel/Homintern guise, as at least there you were able to make some clever but caustic comments. Now, presumably, you have to play dumb to fit the character.

Huh?

March 18th, 2010, 21:42
http://www.john-leech-archive.org.uk/images/left-handed-compliment.jpg