PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Thailand

February 28th, 2010, 07:11
After 10 visitis over as many years, I've recently decided that I love the place enough to move there and make it my home. I'm a 37yo single guy with no real ties to my home country, and I think Thailand is the place for me. As with most people in my situation, the only way I can achieve this realistically is to teach English, which is something I think I'd be quite good at, and I would really enjoy doing.

I don't have any savings but hey, I've always lived life on the fly (I also don't have any debts tho, which is a plus) I have a reasonably well paid job in the UK which will give me the funds to make my dream come true in about six months, everything considered. I plan to sell everything I own and basically try and make a life in LOS, teaching English. I know I won't get rich in LOS doing that, but it sure beats my life here in the UK. I'm not money obsessed. So long as I have enough to get by, I'm happy.

The only thing that really concerns me about my plans is the pension side of things. I'm sure that I'm going to make LOS my home for many years to come, which means that I won't be paying into the statutory NI scheme we have here in the UK. Although I've been paying into it for 20-odd years now, plus a work pension for the last 5 years, a move away from the UK will freeze all of my pension assets, including the statutory pension.

I'm assuming that any job I take in LOS as an English teacher won't have any pension benefits, so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anything? Do any Thai companies run pension schemes for foreigners? Can I just join a Thai pension scheme regardless that I'm a foreigner? I really don't know anything about the subject if I'm honest.

I'd appreciate any advice.

catawampuscat
February 28th, 2010, 07:20
I recall hearing about a farang who worked for a school that was owned by a foreign
company with their headquarters in the USA or maybe it was UK.. Sorry, I don't remember
the details but the point of this is it may be worthwhile to do some research and see
if a UK organization has an overseas branch in Thailand..
Another idea would be to post on Thaivisa.com or one of the websites for farang
teachers.. I 'll bet this has been raised before and you may get some leads..

Too bad a former poster here who is teaching and a Brit has been banned again or
he might have had some advice for you.. It seems that even grade school dropouts can
buy dodgy certificates and get teaching jobs but far better if you are a college/university
grad and take the ESL course... :headbang:

cdnmatt
February 28th, 2010, 07:23
Open a small investment account, and setup automated transfers from your checking account into that one? Then maybe use those funds to invest in stocks, mutual funds, GIC, RRSPs, etc. I don't know about the UK, but in Canada we have something called RRSP (registered retirement savings plan). It's basically just money you stick away, which you can invest as you please, and you don't pay any income tax on it (until you begin taking it out). It's just a way the government uses to incentivize Canadians to invest for their own retirement, and I would imagine the UK has something similar.

In other words, safest bet is to administer your own pension plan. Otherwise, there's a chance you'll end up like quite a few farangs in this part of the world, and I doubt you want that.

February 28th, 2010, 08:16
Well you could set up a limited company in the UK, pay yourself an income out of it at a level that would leave you not liable to UK tax but sufficiently low enough to gain UK NI credits.

Then on retirement, never tell anybody you have left UK, take everything you can get and drip feed it to yourself in thailand

All strictly dodgy, but so is the basis on which most of the UK farang live in Thailand

Apart from the bank robbers/ corporate fraudsters who have alternative arrangements

:hello1: :hello1:

February 28th, 2010, 09:09
Well you could set up a limited company in the UK, pay yourself an income out of it at a level that would leave you not liable to UK tax but sufficiently low enough to gain UK NI credits.

Then on retirement, never tell anybody you have left UK, take everything you can get and drip feed it to yourself in thailand

All strictly dodgy, but so is the basis on which most of the UK farang live in Thailand

Apart from the bank robbers/ corporate fraudsters who have alternative arrangements

:hello1: :hello1:

Thanks, but like I said, I'm not money obsessed, and I prefer life when it's all above board. :glasses7:

February 28th, 2010, 09:38
Why not try a 3-6 month visit before you take the plunge? Whats the longest stay you have had?

lonelywombat
February 28th, 2010, 10:51
Thaivisa has a forum for teaching in thailand where you would get expert advice

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Teaching- ... m-f46.html (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Teaching-Thailand-Forum-f46.html)

allieb
February 28th, 2010, 11:22
If you leave the UK to live or work abroad you can pay volentary contributions into the NI sysyem. At present it costs 12.05 a week. You will get a full state pension at 65. Thats asuming you live that long. You are 37 and thats 28 years away. You also have no money so what the hell are you thinking of ? Teaching isn't goint to make you rich and you aint going to get boys for free in Thailand. Many retired Farang with pensions can't survive in Thailand without a bit of teaching on the side and that only covers beer money.

Come back down to earth and get real

February 28th, 2010, 11:23
Just what we need. Another broke loser with "no ties" to his home country.

You'll fit in perfectly in Pattaya.

cdnmatt
February 28th, 2010, 13:15
Just what we need. Another broke loser with "no ties" to his home country.

You'll fit in perfectly in Pattaya.

heh, have I ever told you that you sure do have a lovely personality?

cdnmatt
February 28th, 2010, 14:41
Teaching isn't goint to make you rich and you aint going to get boys for free in Thailand. Many retired Farang with pensions can't survive in Thailand without a bit of teaching on the side and that only covers beer money.

Come back down to earth and get real

Ohhh, come on, just ask LTMU. Any farang, even ones without education, can show up in Thailand, get a job teaching English, and easily make 80,000 baht per month.

Seriously though, agreed with you. If you don't currently have any savings, and expect to show up in Thailand and live a great life off an English teacher's salary, then you're in for a bit of a shock. It's just not going to happen. Having to scrape by in your home (Western) country is one thing, but I'm sure having to do it in Thailand as a foreigner would be completely different. Do you really want to scrape by in Thailand off say $500 - $800/month? (heh, that'd be a little embarrassing, eh? Go to some bar in a gay area, and the majority of guys make more than you. :-))

Having said that, I do have a friend who's doing exactly what you mentioned. Lives down south, has been teaching for several years, hooked up with a good Thai lady and getting married soon, loves his job, etc. He's always poor as shit due to his salary, but he loves his life, has no regrets, and said he wouldn't change a thing, although he would like to make more money.

camperboy
February 28th, 2010, 16:16
why would you even want to move there?

Such a bad move. I read somewhere, depending on where you teach, your starting pay will be much lower than you will expect.

At the end of the day, money is still importaNT.Money talks everywhere. Even though you say you are not money obsessed, you still need considerable amount of money to sustain your living in bangkok.

You prepared to live a vagrant life if one fine day, they decided not to hire native english speakers anymore? What wiull happen after that?

Noiw you are in your 30s. still ok. But as you get older, jobs are harder to get by.

I dunno why people wan to stay there and live a life a standard lower than their current ones.

camperboy
February 28th, 2010, 16:22
http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/teaching.html

Beachlover
February 28th, 2010, 16:28
It's not about being "obsessed with money" but just realise money is a means to an end.

I think scraping by ok a low income would be ok if you are happy, in love and enjoying life. But the problem with being on a low income - especially in Thailand - is dealing with the unexpected. It's worse in Thailand because you don't have that comfy safety net Western countries give you.

What happens if you suddenly have major medical expenses? Or someone screws you over and you need to fight them back (legally or otherwise)? Or a family member is in trouble or sick and you need to visit them? Or the situation in Thailand (somehow) becomes to unstable to stay and you need an exit plan? Or visa rules turn against you... Money just gives you options.

camperboy
February 28th, 2010, 16:31
It's not about being "obsessed with money" but just realise money is a means to an end.

I think scraping by ok a low income would be ok if you are happy, in love and enjoying life. But the problem with being on a low income - especially in Thailand - is dealing with the unexpected. It's worse in Thailand because you don't have that comfy safety net Western countries give you.

What happens if you suddenly have major medical expenses? Or someone screws you over and you need to fight them back (legally or otherwise)? Or a family member is in trouble or sick and you need to visit them? Or the situation in Thailand (somehow) becomes to unstable to stay and you need an exit plan? Or visa rules turn against you... Money just gives you options.

yes yes! as a farang, you also need to pay higher premiums .... cos u r a farang? lol

Beachlover
February 28th, 2010, 16:33
why would you even want to move there?

Such a bad move. I read somewhere, depending on where you teach, your starting pay will be much lower than you will expect.

At the end of the day, money is still importaNT.Money talks everywhere. Even though you say you are not money obsessed, you still need considerable amount of money to sustain your living in bangkok.

You prepared to live a vagrant life if one fine day, they decided not to hire native english speakers anymore? What wiull happen after that?

Noiw you are in your 30s. still ok. But as you get older, jobs are harder to get by.

I dunno why people wan to stay there and live a life a standard lower than their current ones.

It's interesting to compare the view of this Singaporean who comes from a country where welfare is a dirty word and has a greater grip on reality than someone who's been wrapped in this"it's ok you'll never starve" safety net in Europe.... totally different mentality.

February 28th, 2010, 22:50
After 10 visitis over as many years, I've recently decided that I love the place enough to move there and make it my home. I'm a 37yo single guy with no real ties to my home country, and I think Thailand is the place for me. As with most people in my situation, the only way I can achieve this realistically is to teach English, which is something I think I'd be quite good at, and I would really enjoy doing.

Wrong.

Most people in your situation would have the intelligence to realize that there is a world of difference between a two week holiday a year in Thailand as a "sex-tourist" (your own description of yourself) and earning a living there doing a job you have never attempted.

Most people would realize that if they have no savings despite having had "a reasonably well paid job in the UK ....for 20-odd years now" and if they "still manage to get through ┬г800 in about 10-14 days, although I've no idea how" despite staying in "the cheapest accomodation" that their possible earnings as an inexperienced and minimally qualified English teacher would not give them "enough to get by".

Most people concerned about their pension would be aware that if they had been "paying into the statutory NI scheme ... for 20-odd years now" that they only need a total of 30 years of NI contributions for a full basic UK pension (which, at ┬г90 a week, is very basic).

Most people thinking seriously about a future as an English teacher abroad would have got themselves qualified at least at TOEFL level,tried it to see if they could do it, and if possible built up enough experience to get a DELTA.

Most people would have put a bit more thought into it and realised that it was clearly not "the place" they "love" so much as the commercial availability of "the younger teenage (18+) male", nothing more.

As has already been said very eloquently, the best advice is to "Come back down to earth and get real".

February 28th, 2010, 23:00
Gone Fishing sums it up so you should read into what he says very carefully.

There is a world of difference between a guy who has retired with both a reasonable savings account and a pension to someone your age without either. Keep working, and saving and enjoy your holidays to LOS. If you are really keen to move then get the right qualifications first then apply for a job that pays and also assures that they will grant/get you a valid work permit with the correct visa otherwise you are eventually going to come unstuck. Some of course manage, but alas more fail.

February 28th, 2010, 23:03
37 years old.

No ties to home.

No savings.

No career.

Willing to move halfway around the world for cheap sex with prostitutes.

I SMELL A LOSER.

February 28th, 2010, 23:54
I was 36 when I moved to Thailand - fortunately I only met some but not all of F-F's criteria!

thrillbill
March 1st, 2010, 06:47
Suggestion (as above): Come to Thailand and live here for 3-4 months before you make the "big plunge". I have lived in six different countries (due to work) and the glossy facade of a place quickly disappears with the cracks and bumps showing ---even in Thailand. Amazing how visiting a place on holiday is different than actually living there. ]
Next, If you want to teach English you have to have a degree in teaching English and according to what I have read, sometimes you have to go to some small Thai city/ town in order to get those jobs. --Even if your long term stay doesn't work out, atleast you have tried. :occasion9:

Impulse
March 1st, 2010, 10:59
I can't imagine teaching a language and not being able to speak the language of the country you're working in. I know an English teacher in Korea who can't speak any Korean.
What if a student has a question? Someone explain this to me please.

Smiles
March 1st, 2010, 11:02
Lots of decent advice here, especially the notion of taking a wad of money and coming to live in Thailand for a longterm trial run. I'd say 6 months of experimentation would probably give you a chance at making a reasonable decision after whether it's a "yes" or "no" to packing up and actually moving to Thailand.

I live most of the year in Thailand now ~ retired, not working ~ but I must be honest that I gave myself 2 full years of 'decision-making' regarding whether Thailand was the really the place for me full time . . . and that was after coming to Thailand for 7 years previously in holiday-mode and with a long term loving relationship already approved: I still had to honestly decide in my heart of hearts whether the country itself was the place I wanted to be, irrespective of any relationship, or of the OK financial circumstances, or of any previous experience here.

I now look back on those 2 years as a fully necessary journey, and my advice would be for you to undertake something similar.

Have you thought about what kind of visa you'll need for living here fulltime. The 12 month 'Retirement' Visa (yeah yeah Gone Fishing, I know I know. Indulge me.) is out of the question (because you're only 37) ~ and with that paper you couldn't work anyway ~ so you'll have to apply for a Work Visa . . . and it's not necessarily a given that you'd be approved.
I suppose you realize that only about 3.8 million Work Visa applications are processed every month with 'English Teacher' as the goal.**

Have you thought about what area or city or town where you'd like to live a 'real' life in (as opposed to carousing every night with boys under each arm, a booze glass in one hand and a dozen condoms in the other)? There are lots of very different areas in Thailand, and if you decide to come and make longterm experiment you'd be wise to choose a specific town or area and do it there.

Have you thought about a basic budget? There are farangs who live here on 30-40 thousand baht a month, but on that there's not much left for sanook, extras, travel etc etc.
Honestly, you should think in terms of at least 60,000 baht a month to live a life here which includes some civilized joy, some tingtong spending, some travel within the country, etc etc.
If you intend to indulge the tasty and handsome young gentlemen of Thailand on a regular basis during any given week (let's say 3 times weekly) then your 60 grand will be severely tested. If you become The Fool ~ easily done! ~ and are smitten-to-the-heart by a young man then it will be all gone before the 15th. :tard:
(These are just my thoughts. Others here will of course disagree ... so choose your own weapons when it comes Baht Budgeting).

** Slight exaggeration :bounce:

March 1st, 2010, 13:00
Many people who move to their 'paradise' soon find that it becomes just another place with challenges and problems. Thailand's warts start revealing themselves very soon after you settle in. Even a 90 day experiment, without uprooting yourself from the UK, will tell you most of what you need to know about taking the final step, so by all means don't make a permanent move upfront.

There's a definite burn here- even for those wealthy enough to make it without working!- as the culture is so different to LIVE in as opposed to being charming to visit. You'll have to work like a dog, scrimp by with not much fun money, and you are likely to find that so much of what you assumed was so about Thailand was a mirage visible only to your tourist mind.

You're very young by expat standards in LOS. You should do everything GF and Smiles suggest within the security of the UK knowing that 30 years from now you will still be just as busy with your boys as you would be today, but without the need to work a tough job for shit wages. Your trial run here will be a great tutorial for how to plan a move over the long run. Just make sure that you schedule as many holidays as possible so you don't feel like you're missing out- then fuck your brains out!

March 1st, 2010, 13:38
Fuck-Face[/email:1a32434w]]Early twenties.

No ties to home.

No savings.

No career.

Willing to move halfway around the world for cheap sex with prostitutes.

I SMELL A LOSER.I wonder who that reminds me of.
I can't imagine teaching a language and not being able to speak the language of the country you're working in. I know an English teacher in Korea who can't speak any Korean. What if a student has a question? Someone explain this to me please.You force them to work it out in English so they will learn, using a dictionary or any other tool that comes to hand.

March 1st, 2010, 16:46
You force them to work it out in English so they will learn, using a dictionary or any other tool that comes to hand.

WOULD YOU CARE TO REPHRASE THAT????

March 1st, 2010, 17:03
You force them to work it out in English so they will learn, using a dictionary or any other tool that comes to hand.WOULD YOU CARE TO REPHRASE THAT????I mention tools and one just happens along.

March 1st, 2010, 17:15
..You force them to work it out in English so they will learn...

In other words the student is to be disadvantaged because of the inadequacy of the teacher?

Part of the trouble with many English "teachers" in Thailand is that many (the majority?) neither speak Thai nor are they actually "teachers"- having no teaching qualifications whatsoever. Yes, they may just have a degree in History of Art from nineteen canteen - or some other similarly irrelevant subject, but no teaching skills at all..

Put these two problems together and you have an untrained individual who may be quite unable to communicate effectively with his students or to "teach" anything in a logical, coherent manner.

:bounce: :bounce:

March 1st, 2010, 18:11
Copper Pheel obviously knows about as much about teaching foreign languages as he does about being a policeman, or an IT consultant, or an import-exporter.

March 1st, 2010, 19:16
Copper Pheel obviously knows about as much about teaching foreign languages as he does about being a policeman, or an IT consultant, or an import-exporter.But then only those truly ignorant of myself would ever have believed I have any expertise in three or possibly four of those four :idea: . There are those, I understand, whose expertise has even led them to create identity-theft profiles of individuals they have been conned into believing reside in Malaysia or other foreign countries.

March 1st, 2010, 19:19
Is that why the person in question (you, sir) wrote screaming to the site in question demanding that said profile be removed? Why would you do that if it weren't indeed you? Oh, I forgot..."it's not me, but it is a friend of mine". HAHAHAHAHA.

March 1st, 2010, 19:31
Fuck-Face[/email:238sj1ix]]Is that why the person in question (you, sir) wrote screaming to the site in question demanding that said profile be removed? Why would you do that if it weren't indeed you? Oh, I forgot..."it's not me, but it is a friend of mine". HAHAHAHAHA.Good heavens, is that an admission that you are in the habit of stealing the identities of SGT posters and others in order to create false profiles of them on other sites? The Moderators and all members of SGT are duly warned. :sign3:

Surfcrest, where art thou?

March 1st, 2010, 19:45
It wasn't a SGT poster -- according to you. Right? Just some random photo of a fat, old bald cunt I found on the internet. Right?

Surfcrest
March 1st, 2010, 21:01
I can't imagine teaching a language and not being able to speak the language of the country you're working in. I know an English teacher in Korea who can't speak any Korean. What if a student has a question? Someone explain this to me please.You force them to work it out in English so they will learn, using a dictionary or any other tool that comes to hand.

ThatтАЩs exactly what IтАЩd expect an тАЬEnglish TeacherтАЭ to say.

In other words the student is to be disadvantaged because of the inadequacy of the teacher?

Part of the trouble with many English "teachers" in Thailand is that many (the majority?) neither speak Thai nor are they actually "teachers"- having no teaching qualifications whatsoever. Yes, they may just have a degree in History of Art from nineteen canteen - or some other similarly irrelevant subject, but no teaching skills at all..

Put these two problems together and you have an untrained individual who may be quite unable to communicate effectively with his students or to "teach" anything in a logical, coherent manner.

YouтАЩve never learned a second language before, have you?

I prefer to keep my discussions тАЬon topicтАЭ and so my own speculations about you are noted in your Circumcision Day thread in the Global Forum.

It would appear to me that maroonedmind has a pretty decent command of the English language compared to most here and based on his posts. If he had a degree in English that would certainly put him in the upper percentages of qualified English teachers in Thailand. Add a TESL course or the equivalent to that and he would be well positioned to land himself a junior teaching assignment. After that, with some experience he could apply to one of the better paying teaching jobs in Bangkok.

ThereтАЩs been a lot of good advice given already in respect to the English teaching thing or the long stay in Thailand thing. Both cdnmatt and Gone Fishing have a lot in common with what the OP proposes in respect to moving to Thailand at that age, although their individual circumstances might be different from the OP and from each other.

IтАЩve been coming to Thailand for nearly 20 years now, usually for a month at a time. In 2006 I came to Thailand for much longer than my usual visit and realized what a lot of posters have already mentioned already. IтАЩm back to visiting Thailand for a month at a time again and in the dry season only, preferring to spend the other time of the year in other parts of the planet. IтАЩll be in Central America for Easter in a few weeks.

March 1st, 2010, 21:23

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make.

As to your question, YES, so where does that leave your argument?

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

I prefer to keep my discussions тАЬon topicтАЭ and so my own speculations about you are noted in your Circumcision Day thread in the Global Forum.

It would appear to me that maroonedmind has a pretty decent command of the English language compared to most here and based on his posts. If he had a degree in English that would certainly put him in the upper percentages of qualified English teachers in Thailand. Add a TESL course or the equivalent to that and he would be well positioned to land himself a junior teaching assignment. After that, with some experience he could apply to one of the better paying teaching jobs in Bangkok.

ThereтАЩs been a lot of good advice given already in respect to the English teaching thing or the long stay in Thailand thing. Both cdnmatt and Gone Fishing have a lot in common with what the OP proposes in respect to moving to Thailand at that age, although their individual circumstances might be different from the OP and from each other.

IтАЩve been coming to Thailand for nearly 20 years now, usually for a month at a time. In 2006 I came to Thailand for much longer than my usual visit and realized what a lot of posters have already mentioned already. IтАЩm back to visiting Thailand for a month at a time again and in the dry season only, preferring to spend the other time of the year in other parts of the planet. IтАЩll be in Central America for Easter in a few weeks.[/quote]

Surfcrest
March 1st, 2010, 21:32
[quote="scottish-guy":3fkg6w7e]
Part of the trouble with many English "teachers" in Thailand is that many (the majority?) neither speak Thai

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make.

As to your question, YES, so where does that leave your argument?
[/quote:3fkg6w7e]

You don't need to speak Thai to teach English. If you ever learned a second language you would know that.

March 1st, 2010, 21:58
You don't need to speak Thai to teach English. If you ever learned a second language you would know that.

1. If you had ever been a properly qualified teacher (as I am) you would know how much of a handicap not speaking the native language is - one would become a lecturer rather than a teacher.

2. Don't be so patronising, the overwhelming majority of native English-speaking people in the UK learn a second language at school. What's more they don't learn that second lanuage from teachers who are unable to speak English and communicate effectively with their students.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

March 1st, 2010, 22:03
If I were you, I would save any money that I had in a plain simple bank account with a guaranteed high interest, simple and that's it.

Why?

I recently had a pension statement, to cut a long story short, it simply is not worth it, the returns are dire, unless one lives till 100, which is highly unlikely, to put it in perspective, if I lived till I was 80, I would only get about 70% of what I put in the pension scheme, the male average life expectancy is 78 ish. Need I say more.

From around 2012, the government are saying 30 year NI contributions to get a full basic pension. However, even if you haven't got the required "years", under current rules, they make it up - I think to around ┬г112 ish - they make sure that no pensioner is getting below a certain amount.

So tell me what is the point. I think if you have lots and lots of money then you can organise your life as such, but if you are going to teach in Thailand you certainly won't be a big earner and putting money aside and potentially causing yourself money flow problems in Thailand whilst you are living there is not worth it. You need money to live in Thailand, you need money to live anywhere for that matter.

However, you may well wish to pay the voluntary contributions towards your basis pension in the UK, to ensure that your pension is guaranteed when you retire, because if you live outside of the UK when you retire I suspect it will not be topped up (what I was referring to earlier in this thread). This is probably the minimum you could do.

Another thought here, the state retirement age in the UK to obtain a state pension is changing, eventually 68 will be the new retirement age, and that's under current legislation.

goji
March 2nd, 2010, 00:43
Another thought here, the state retirement age in the UK to obtain a state pension is changing, eventually 68 will be the new retirement age, and that's under current legislation.

Unless you are an MP of course, when a mere 20 years with your snout in the trough is sufficient to secure an ENORMOUS pension.

March 2nd, 2010, 00:43

1. If you had ever been a properly qualified teacher (as I am) you would know how much of a handicap not speaking the native language is - one would become a lecturer rather than a teacher.

2. Don't be so patronising, the overwhelming majority of native English-speaking people in the UK learn a second language at school. What's more they don't learn that second lanuage from teachers who are unable to speak English and communicate effectively with their students.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hi Scottish-guy ,

I'm not sure from your posts whether you disagree with the pedagogical principles of TEFL or just the way they are generally implemented in Thailand (in which case, fair enough!).

In any case, I'll try to clarify the teaching system in Thailand and TEFL in general so the OP doesn't get the wrong idea.

As a TEFL teacher at a Thai school, you are employed as a native speaker who can get students to interact in English and gradually increase their fluency and confidence in the language... the key word being "fluency", not "accuracy". Thai teachers (of English) teach grammar and written comprehension primarily, native teachers teach spoken and written fluency primarily. At an average school, the students might have a couple of hours' English with you, and a couple of hours with their Thai English teacher.

The idea behind TEFL is that the school is paying native speakers to provide an fully-immersive (simulated) English environment. This means that the entire class is conducted in English - it's a psychological/pedagogical method so that students learn to be able to speak, listen and think in English fluently and automatically. You suggest that for English teachers in Thailand, it is a real handicap not knowing Thai. Well, you are right and wrong... It's really useful as a teacher if you can speak Thai and have a good declarative knowledge of the way the language is structured. If you know the way Thai works and how it differs from English (grammar, phonetics etc.) you can understand much better the specific obstacles that Thai speakers are likely to face learning English.

However, when you are actually teaching English, it is best to use Thai as little as possible. There are two principle reasons for this. Firstly it destroys the immersive element of the learning environment - the students end up learning English only by relating it to Thai, or (even worse!) concentrate on what you are saying in Thai and then zone out as soon as you start speaking in English again. Secondly, there are much more stimulating ways to teach English than constantly relating it to Thai equivalents. Imagine teaching a lower-level class... on the topic of nature. Option 1: "Tree - р╕Хр╣Йр╕Щр╣Др╕бр╣Й","grass - р╕лр╕Нр╣Йр╕▓" and so on. Or how about Option 2: illustrate the discussion with pictures of an urban landscape/rural landscape. Simple discussions asking students "do you prefer the town or countryside?" "are there alot of trees and plants where you live?" and so on. Perhaps even a trip to the park or a song about trees for the ultra-keen!

The point is that with Option 2 you are keeping the students engaged and stimulated at visual, aural, kinaesthetic, experiential levels. They are in a fully-immersive English environment, and they are learning words and grammatical constructions not just in a declarative or theoretical way and not just in isolation, but in many different contexts and in real "live English".

Do you know the old saying that "a gentleman is a man who can play the accordion but doesn't"? Similarly in Thailand, ideally all TEFL teachers would be fluent in Thai but never use Thai in their lessons (or at least not very often).

So that's the theory of how TEFL works in Thailand. In practice, the Thai teachers who teach English often can't string a sentence together and the curriculum can be badly structured, with an emphasis on grammar rules and rote learning. The native-speaking teachers often face difficulties with Thai colleagues; many put little effort into preparing lessons or don't understand how to put the principles of language learning into practice. Many teachers find classroom management a difficulty as well - as well as culture and communication issues some classes simply have too many students (50+) to teach and manage effectively.

To the OP - good luck, and don't let any negativity here bother you if you are sure this is what you want to do! If you give us some idea of your qualifications and work background, also where in Thailand you would like to work and what age group you see yourself teaching I am sure more constructive advice will be forthcoming!

March 2nd, 2010, 01:31
#Thewayup

Very illuminating and helpful - thanks for your post

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

March 2nd, 2010, 02:06
Fuck-Face[/email:1m2avxh9]]It wasn't a SGT poster -- according to you. Right? Just some random photo of a fat, old bald cunt I found on the internet. Right?A rather disingenuous response; nevertheless it was of someone you believed to be an SGT poster. We all believe you (as you are so credible) that the profile of The Man In The Pink Shirt over on Gayromeo isn't you - there are two overweight early forties gay white guys living in Bangkok who speak and write Thai and Chinese with an association with a major soi off Sukhumvit about which you've already expressed (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/posting-guidelines-and-discussion-f11/rather-amusing-from-boygeenyus-t16975.html) some sensitivity here. It's interesting that the first time this profile came to the Board's attention the email address was quickly removed, and the second time the profile status was altered from public to one accessible only to those signed in to Gayromeo (and therefore who would be evident to you - sorry, "that person") as a "visitor". Victims of identity theft usually find out only when references to true information about them results in real impacts on their lives. It would be unfortunate for that poor fellow, I imagine, if his [email=thonglor55@yahoo.com:1m2avxh9]email address[/email:1m2avxh9], for example, was found in other places on the Internet. Of course the successful identity thief doesn't warn his victims - they just find out when the bills and the junk mail start turning up or friends say "Hey, I saw a pic of you over on xyz.com - I didn't know those things about you".

Aunty
March 2nd, 2010, 05:40
[quote="Fuck-Face":1ikg4xjo]It wasn't a SGT poster -- according to you. Right? Just some random photo of a fat, old bald cunt I found on the internet. Right?A rather disingenuous response; nevertheless it was of someone you believed to be an SGT poster. We all believe you (as you are so credible) that the profile of The Man In The Pink Shirt over on Gayromeo isn't you - there are two overweight early forties gay white guys living in Bangkok who speak and write Thai and Chinese with an association with a major soi off Sukhumvit about which you've already expressed (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/posting-guidelines-and-discussion-f11/rather-amusing-from-boygeenyus-t16975.html) some sensitivity here. It's interesting that the first time this profile came to the Board's attention the email address was quickly removed, and the second time the profile status was altered from public to one accessible only to those signed in to Gayromeo (and therefore who would be evident to you - sorry, "that person") as a "visitor". Victims of identity theft usually find out only when references to true information about them results in real impacts on their lives. It would be unfortunate for that poor fellow, I imagine, if his email address, for example, was found in other places on the Internet. Of course the successful identity thief doesn't warn his victims - they just find out when the bills and the junk mail start turning up or friends say "Hey, I saw a pic of you over on xyz.com - I didn't know those things about you".[/quote:1ikg4xjo]

I know exactly what you mean, Beryl. Why just the other day I could have sworn I saw that very same smiling man's photo on a profile here on a New Zealand gay website, something about - dirty old fat grandpa, frequent traveller from Thailand, $eeks young.... - or something like that. But then, maybe I was wrong?

But my word arenтАЩt you are in all a dither? Quite quite flustered arenтАЩt you! Boygenius really put one over you here, hasn't he? And you can't stand it. But then it couldnтАЩt of happened to a more deserving jerk, could it?

Smiles
March 2nd, 2010, 07:35
Noted our marooned young expat hopeful has not responded to any of the comments on this thread. A bit of running down an opposite yellow brick road by the usual fuck-faced suspects should not deter the OP from giving some response to the host of otherwise reasonable replies.

(Naturally the post above by the Dear Old Aunty from TingTong should be completely ignored as pure tripe).

Surfcrest
March 2nd, 2010, 08:08

Sorry, youтАЩre right although I never intended it to come across that way originally.
I just didnтАЩt have the time to explain what thewayup explained so well.

IтАЩm intrigued though, you say the overwhelming majority of native English-speaking people in the UK learn a second language at school. That would lead me to believe that the overwhelming majority of native English speaking people in the UK can speak a second language or are bilingual.

As a qualified teacher yourself, IтАЩd be interested in knowing if you think this is true.

BTW The quote function of the board works very similar to how brackets are used in Algebra, not sure if you've ever taught math before if that helps.

March 2nd, 2010, 08:16
Seriously, Aunty...the old cunt will never forgive himself that he tipped his hand several years ago, allowing me to grab hold of not only his lovely photo, but also his identities on other websites. He simply can't stand it. As for the "evidence" he is always asking for, I would in turn ask for evidence of all those pink shirt accusations he loves to make.

The fact is, I do not have to respond to his constant nattering for "evidence". I know the truth, and that is all that is important, and I will use it to best suit me and harm him...when the time comes.

March 2nd, 2010, 08:19
But my word arenтАЩt you are in all a dither? Quite quite flustered arenтАЩt you! Boygenius really put one over you here, hasn't he? And you can't stand it. But then it couldnтАЩt of happened to a more deserving jerk, could it?

Perhaps you'd like to post a link to that profile, Aunty? I'd ask for it by PM -- but, you see, I don't have PM privileges here for some reason.

Of course, since our fat old friend claims not to be the one pictured, there should be no reason why said profile should be immediately taken down, nor any reason why the fat fuck would object to a link to it being posted here. Surely?

March 2nd, 2010, 08:39
I have been reading the replies, but haven't had time to respond properly yet. You're right, in amongst the usual tat that doesn't warrant comment, there is some really useful advice. I didn't know, for example, I could still make NI contributions while working abroad, which is something I'm looking into, but it seems that my best bet is to just make my own provisions and forget about any kind of established pension scheme.

Big thanks to thewayup. I kinda knew a lot of what you wrote through my research into the subject, but it's always good to read that what I thought about the subject isn't far from the reality. I do plan on learning Thai properly while I'm there, (I've picked up a little already through previous trips) simply because I can't imagine living in a country long term and being unable to communicate effectively, but thankfully, as you pointed out thewayup, it's not necessary in order to teach English, so it's something I can learn while working.

The general plan is to leave enough money here with a trusted family member, which I won;t be able to touch while I'm there, which will be my safety net, should I decide to come back with my tail between my legs. I also shouldn't have trouble getting back into my profession either, so although it will be a hassle for a while, there's no reason why I can't come back and just pick up where I left off. Not that that's my intention, but it would be silly not to have some kind of plan B.

I plan on doing the 4 week intensive TEFL course in Bangkok rather than here in the UK. I just think more doors will open for me doing it that way. They can give me all kinds of advice I just wouldn't be able to get here. I realise that although the basic TEFL qualification will be enough to find a job, I'm thinking of this more in terms of a career rather than just a job, so once I start getting some experience, I plan to get even more qualified which should get me better paid jobs. Like I said however, I'm under no illusion that I'm ever going to get rich doing this.

I'm also aware, as some have pointed out, that there's a world of difference in going somewhere for holidays, and making that same place your home. I know Thailand has issues that only an expat would see, and there will be a big culture shock for a while, but after ten trips there, I feel that my limited knowledge of the place is enough to have a rough idea of what I'm letting myself in for. There are plenty of people who have done exactly what I plan to do, and have never looked back. There are also plenty that have done it and have gone back. And there are those that have just sat at home dreaming about it, and never done it at all, for various reasons. It's the latter category that I don't want to be in, because even if I turn out to one of the ones that came home, at least I'll know I gave it my best shot.

Thanks again for all the useful comments/advice which I'm still picking my way through. I've also had a couple of good PM's as well, so thanks to the members that sent those. I know this isn't really a forum for this kind of thing, and there are better forums to be getting the kind of information I'm looking for, but it's good to get feedback from a variety of sources.

Smiles
March 2nd, 2010, 09:00
" ... There are plenty of people who have done exactly what I plan to do, and have never looked back. There are also plenty that have done it and have gone back. And there are those that have just sat at home dreaming about it, and never done it at all, for various reasons. It's the latter category that I don't want to be in ... "
After all is said and done, you're quite right. I sometimes ~ at 62 ~ feel my adventurous spirit is not what it used to be.
Go for it, and more power to you.

March 2nd, 2010, 11:06
Before you go...

You can get a Non-immigrant O visa from the Consulate in Hull (I think it exists as a place for to send Thai civil servants who screw up on the job... why else would they have a consulate in Hull?!). It's good for 15 months and you can work legally (with a work permit), on the basis of "visiting friends" or "considering starting a business". The embassy in London are quite strict - they probably won't give you one and you'll queue-up all morning to be told that.

BTW, none of my business but if you're the monogamous type I'm sure you could meet a nice professional Thai guy who isn't a financial burden (lots of graduates on 10-15K a month) and who can help you get around. Also, if it doesn't have to be Thailand, the pay is generally better in Vietnam. Beer, wine and cigarettes are cheaper too and alot of truly gorgeous, friendly boys . :love4: http://vietsingle.vietfun.com/index.php?l=1&k=1&h=&a=&d=3

When are you going over? The main hiring season (in Thailand) is around May and then around October for the government schools, but if you are flexible about working conditions and location there's always jobs.

cdnmatt
March 2nd, 2010, 11:13
I now look back on those 2 years as a fully necessary journey, and my advice would be for you to undertake something similar.

I don't know, I guess it depends on the individual, personality, and life situation, and although that's pretty sound advice, I'm not sure if I would recommend it to everyone. I ended up doing the complete opposite, and although in hindsight it was probably a pretty stupid thing to do, I have no regrets whatsoever, and wouldn't change a thing. I came for a two week vacation last May, and still find myself in Thailand, with no plans of leaving anytime soon. I love how life sometimes works like that. Always keep your eyes open, because you never know what may present itself, kinda deal.

Again, all depends on the individual and personality. Then again, due to my work, I have a pretty cushy safety net, so that always helps.

March 2nd, 2010, 11:32
I think it exists as a place for to send Thai civil servants who screw up on the job... why else would they have a consulate in Hull?!

It is an honorary Thai consulate. There are no Thai diplomats stationed there. The guy in charge is one Mr. Alan Taylor -- doesn't sound very Thai to me.

March 2nd, 2010, 13:24
Fuck-Face[/email:3m3blgy6]]
But my word arenтАЩt you are in all a dither? Quite quite flustered arenтАЩt you! Boygenius really put one over you here, hasn't he? And you can't stand it. But then it couldnтАЩt of happened to a more deserving jerk, could it?Perhaps you'd like to post a link to that profile, Aunty? I'd ask for it by PM -- but, you see, I don't have PM privileges here for some reason. Of course, since our fat old friend claims not to be the one pictured, there should be no reason why said profile should be immediately taken down, nor any reason why the fat fuck would object to a link to it being posted here. Surely?By all means, please go ahead - I need the publicity. And I'm sure Spike's kitty can afford the damages for defamation should you prove to be wrong.

March 2nd, 2010, 13:26
I know exactly what you mean, Beryl. Why just the other day I could have sworn I saw that very same smiling man's photo on a profile here on a New Zealand gay website, something about - dirty old fat grandpa, frequent traveller from Thailand, $eeks young.... - or something like that. But then, maybe I was wrong?

But my word arenтАЩt you are in all a dither? Quite quite flustered arenтАЩt you! Boygenius really put one over you here, hasn't he? And you can't stand it. But then it couldnтАЩt of happened to a more deserving jerk, could it?You've got me there Aunty, completely floored me and inferred in your infallible way my exact mood, all from those few words I dashed off earlier. I don't know what to say. Can I throw myself on your mercy? How long do you think it will be before the ever-gullible Fuck-Face realises that all you've done is taken my idea of the friend who says "I saw a pic of you over on xyz.com ..." and embellished it. Fuck-Face apparently thinks the profile really exists. Disinformation never was his strong suit.

March 2nd, 2010, 13:27
[quote=Aunty]But my word arenтАЩt you are in all a dither? Quite quite flustered arenтАЩt you! Boygenius really put one over you here, hasn't he? And you can't stand it. But then it couldnтАЩt of happened to a more deserving jerk, could it?Perhaps you'd like to post a link to that profile, Aunty? I'd ask for it by PM -- but, you see, I don't have PM privileges here for some reason. Of course, since our fat old friend claims not to be the one pictured, there should be no reason why said profile should be immediately taken down, nor any reason why the fat fuck would object to a link to it being posted here. Surely?By all means, please go ahead - I need the publicity. And I'm sure Spike's kitty can afford the damages for defamation should you prove to be wrong.[/quote:1komi973]

A defamation suit? Oh, please -- give me a break.

March 2nd, 2010, 13:33
Fuck-Face[/email:3igb569t]][quote="Copper Pheel":3igb569t][quote="[email=thonglor55@yahoo.com:3igb569t]Fuck-Face[/email:3igb569t]":3igb569t]Perhaps you'd like to post a link to that profile, Aunty? I'd ask for it by PM -- but, you see, I don't have PM privileges here for some reason. Of course, since our fat old friend claims not to be the one pictured, there should be no reason why said profile should be immediately taken down, nor any reason why the fat fuck would object to a link to it being posted here. Surely?By all means, please go ahead - I need the publicity. And I'm sure Spike's kitty can afford the damages for defamation should you prove to be wrong.[/quote:3igb569t]A defamation suit? Oh, please -- give me a break.[/quote:3igb569t]Then there's nothing to hold you back? I can hardly wait.

March 2nd, 2010, 13:37
ThatтАЩs exactly what IтАЩd expect an тАЬEnglish TeacherтАЭ to say.Is the Immersion Theory of learning a language now totally discredited? http://www.200words-a-day.com/total-immersion.html

March 2nd, 2010, 16:35
I think it exists as a place for to send Thai civil servants who screw up on the job... why else would they have a consulate in Hull?!

It is an honorary Thai consulate. There are no Thai diplomats stationed there. The guy in charge is one Mr. Alan Taylor -- doesn't sound very Thai to me.

Yes you are right, though I suspect they employ some Thai staff as clerks and translators.

I was just having a dig at Hull and its reputation as Britain's number 1 "crap town". :bounce:

jinks
March 2nd, 2010, 16:40
I was just having a dig at Hull and its reputation as Britain's number 1 "crap town". :bounce:

Kingston upon Hull is not a crap town, just a little out of the main stream.

Beachlover
March 2nd, 2010, 18:30
The general plan is to...

Well, it does sound like you've thought this through more than initially evident. That's great. I hope you find it's the right move and have fun.

I don't think teaching English would wear you out so you'd have lots of time to make some money on the side if desired.

Beachlover
March 2nd, 2010, 18:31
I don't know, I guess it depends on the individual, personality, and life situation.....

I think for you, it's totally different to most people. You are probably quite mobile... you operate your business remotely... moving to Thailand probably wasn't such a big deal. You can easily move back to Canada or to a completely different country on whim. Where as for most people... it would be a pretty major move.