View Full Version : should I go or should I stay?

a447
February 27th, 2010, 21:00
With all the political troubles at the moment I am wondering whether to go ahead with my trip in April. Could those of you living in LOS give us regular updates on what is happening there? You would be in a much better position than us to know what was happening. I suppose I could just spend my entire holiday in Pattaya if things get out of hand in Bangkok, but then I would miss out on the delights of Siam Paragon, and especially Beard Papa.

February 27th, 2010, 21:40
With all the political troubles at the moment I am wondering whether to go ahead with my trip in April. Could those of you living in LOS give us regular updates on what is happening there? You would be in a much better position than us to know what was happening. I suppose I could just spend my entire holiday in Pattaya if things get out of hand in Bangkok, but then I would miss out on the delights of Siam Paragon, and especially Beard Papa.

If you are worried about political troubles in LOS then you will never go. This is a country that has had more coups than most others put together. It would be extremely unusual for any unrest to actually effect tourists except as before when they managed to close the airport for a few days.

a447
February 27th, 2010, 22:00
It would be extremely unusual for any unrest to actually effect tourists

Well, I was in Pattaya last the time of the Asean Summit and left immediately for Bangkok. Lots of places in the city just closed down, including the Skytrain, if I remember correctly.

jinks
February 27th, 2010, 23:53
It would be extremely unusual for any unrest to actually effect tourists

Well, I was in Pattaya last the time of the Asean Summit and left immediately for Bangkok. Lots of places in the city just closed down, including the Skytrain, if I remember correctly.

And how many tourists were effected when they took over BKK for several weeks.

February 27th, 2010, 23:54
AFFECTED

jinks
February 28th, 2010, 00:08
The Free Dictionary.com take your pick...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/affected

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/effected

February 28th, 2010, 00:19
I pick AFFECTED because it is correct. EFFECTED has a completely different meaning. I wouldn't expect a taxi driver to know that, though.

February 28th, 2010, 03:41
I pick AFFECTED because it is correct. EFFECTED has a completely different meaning.I believe you've effected a bulls-eye there Fuck-Face, although I doubt that it has affected jinks.

a447
February 28th, 2010, 06:07
And how many tourists were effected when they took over BKK for several weeks.

How would I know? I had no way of counting them!

Hereforme, I was there last July. I have been going to Bkk and Pattaya for the last 5 years and on a couple of occasions have managed to almost bypass Songkran by careful planning.

catawampuscat
February 28th, 2010, 07:26
nobody really cares and no one really knows..it is a crapshot and the odds are good but
hey some guys wear belts and suspenders and make sure their tightie whities are ironed.. :blackeye:
I forget what the Brits call 'suspenders'..&
some farangs go bareback and some double up on
the condoms (bad idea as they rub and break)..
some don't even dare with condoms and take no chances at all....mai pen rai
it is up to you..

February 28th, 2010, 07:32
but then I would miss out on the delights of Siam Paragon, and especially Beard Papa.

What, who or where is "Beard Papa"?

cdnmatt
February 28th, 2010, 07:36
If you ever believe you should delay your trip to Thailand due to political instability, then you'll probably simply never make it to Thailand. There's always some "final push" or coup about to take place, or some major event. The vast majority of the times it amounts to absolutely nothing. I guess there's a small chance you might get stuck in the middle of something, and have the airport closed on you or something, but that's hardly the end of the world.

Not to mention, the Thais don't give a shit about us, and this political instability has absolutely nothing to do with farangs. We're completely left alone throughout the entire process. Well, that is unless we go looking for trouble of course. If you're in BKK, and see 10,000 pissed off people wearing red on a street, probably best not to go down that street.

February 28th, 2010, 11:16
but then I would miss out on the delights of Siam Paragon, and especially Beard Papa.

What, who or where is "Beard Papa"?

It's a Japanese chain of shops selling cream puffs. They have a branch at Paragon.

Beachlover
February 28th, 2010, 12:13
I think the only time this stuff has had a major effect on tourists is the airport closures... that was pretty shitty for many. All the other events have been "no problem" right?

I wonder if Thailand will still be in this state of flux say... 20 years from now.

February 28th, 2010, 12:29
A week is a long time in politics. Anything could happen between now and April. Right now its best to avoid Bangkok Bank branches in Bangkok, but otherwise there is sod all to worry about. We might be hit by an asteriod next week though.

February 28th, 2010, 13:10
You should go... it's fun and you'll have a blast.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/w ... 191075.htm (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-02/28/c_13191075.htm)

I know, not PC, but even an event like this won't deter me from going.

actually, on second thought, better to wait and see what happens.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61R0LJ20100228

wunnie
February 28th, 2010, 13:53
nobody really cares and no one really knows..it is a crapshot and the odds are good but
hey some guys wear belts and suspenders and make sure their tightie whities are ironed.. :blackeye:
I forget what the Brits call 'suspenders'..&
some farangs go bareback and some double up on
the condoms (bad idea as they rub and break)..
some don't even dare with condoms and take no chances at all....mai pen rai
it is up to you..

What happened to your hiatus? Does this mean you finally found a job? :dontknow: By the way your post has no bearing on the subject!

a447
February 28th, 2010, 14:51
It's a Japanese chain of shops selling cream puffs.

I know it's hard to get excited about cream puffs (choux a la creme) but these would have to be the most delicious cream puffs ever made. Yet another example of the Japanese attention to detail and taking on the French and winning hands down.

February 28th, 2010, 16:04
It's a Japanese chain of shops selling cream puffs.A Japanese cream puff (or is that poof?) - the mind boggles.

goji
February 28th, 2010, 16:15
I think the only time this stuff has had a major effect on tourists is the airport closures... that was pretty shitty for many. All the other events have been "no problem" right?
I wonder if Thailand will still be in this state of flux say... 20 years from now.

Thailand could be a complete ****hole in 20 years time & your libido's not going to be any better either, so get along there now whilst you have the chance! CARPE DIEM!

camperboy
February 28th, 2010, 16:20
scared what?

just go. :bee:

Beachlover
February 28th, 2010, 16:46
CARPE DIEM!

Hehe... is that a line for an erectile dysfunction drug?

cdnmatt
February 28th, 2010, 16:48
CARPE DIEM!

It's Latin. Don't know the direct translation, but "seize the moment", or something like that. Live every moment like it was your last, type of thing.

Beachlover
February 28th, 2010, 17:04
CARPE DIEM!

It's Latin. Don't know the direct translation, but "seize the moment", or something like that. Live every moment like it was your last, type of thing.

I know... hence the suggestion.

So anyway... you've got this gorgeous boy in front of you, lined up and ready, but after rolling on the condom your rubber covered buddy's enthusiasm is failing a little... so you look down and say, "come on buddy, CARPE DIEM!" ("seize the moment!") lol.

a447
February 28th, 2010, 17:25
A Japanese cream puff (or is that poof?) - the mind boggles.
The Japanese cream puff - the OTHER one - is also very "delicious." A little more adventurous than the Thai guys, too.

Smiles
February 28th, 2010, 20:53
Go.

February 28th, 2010, 21:57
Away.

March 1st, 2010, 00:24
Away.

It won't be long before we wave goodbye to you again :hello2:

Beachlover
March 1st, 2010, 00:32
Then he should come back as "Fuckwit" or "Cunt Face" or something.

March 1st, 2010, 00:39
Then he should come back as "Fuckwit" or "Cunt Face" or something.

Or "Billynomates" ?

March 1st, 2010, 07:53
Away.

Excuse me; and you are...? LOL.

March 1st, 2010, 13:42
Fuck-Face[/email:3ru2qyew]]Excuse me; and you are...?homintern?

danny99
March 1st, 2010, 15:14

I remember asking my brother [who has worked lived in Bangkok for years] how the riots were affecting him during the push to oust Thaksin [as reported daily in the wrold's press]...his reply was 'what riots'. The fact of the matter was unless you hung around the area of parliament you never saw much different to any other days except many yellow shirts riding on the BTS. LIfe goes on as normal every day in Bangkok no matter what that days political agenda is! It has been that way for years.

Back in the 70's during one of Bangkok's many midnight curfews during a coup, I got carried away chatting to the young guys at Lonely Boy [bottom of Soi 4 now the Salsa Bar I think]. Sticking my head out the door into the lane soon attracted a police/army jeep who, after an initial angry confrontation all of 5 seconds, drove me to the Dusit Thani, then actually made it obvious they would not mind being invited in for a drink...sorry, too old!

Bangkok is Bangkok, and will unlikely ever change!

March 2nd, 2010, 02:08
[quote="Fuck-Face":2161jjz4]Away.

Excuse me; and you are...? LOL.[/quote:2161jjz4]

An admirer of that great bubble butt you have :notworthy:

a447
March 2nd, 2010, 14:15
danny99, thanks for your sensible answer. Hasn't been one on this thread for a while!