PDA

View Full Version : Budget Hotel in Silom for Young Person

February 26th, 2010, 19:58
Hi All,

Im heading to Bkk in May and am looking to stay around the Silom area. I have visited BKK before but stayed in Sukhumvit Dynasty Grande Hotel. I enjoyed it here but want to try Silom area this time.

I have had a peak online and there seems to be so many places to chose from. My only issue is knowing if the places are ok to take my new found friends back to my room. I partied at DJ Station last time and found some really cool guys. Hope to do the same this year.

My budget is about 1000B per night but could be more if the right place is suggested. I cant really remember the Silom area to well but remember DJ and The Balcony bar being close to a Burger King. Lumphini park was pretty close to hear too.

Thaks for reading and I hope you guys can help me find a sweet place that I will feel confortable taking ppl back.

Thanks
x

February 26th, 2010, 23:26
Hi All,

I have spent some time today researching and seem to have found 3 Places of Interest...Although my 1000 budget for silom is a little far stretched I have moved outwards slightly...!!!

I could do with some recommendation on the Rose Hotel, Pinnacle Lumpinee and the Malaysia.

Thanks

Sen Yai
February 27th, 2010, 00:24
Take a look at these too:

http://www.theregentsilom.com/
http://www.baansaladaeng.com/
http://www.theinnsaladaeng.com
http://www.takeanaphotel.com/

All a little over you budget, but all very close to DJ. It's only money - have fun!

February 27th, 2010, 00:34
Thanks for the reply. Very much appreciated. Some nice spots there.

Do you know if its ok to take friends back to these hotels?

Thanks
Liam

Sen Yai
February 27th, 2010, 00:36
Yes - I don't think you will have any problem with joiners at any of those I've listed.

Enjoy :happy7:

February 27th, 2010, 00:39
Thats Great. Thanks very much.

I will seek out the best one available.

Do you have a favorite?

Liam
:)

Sen Yai
February 27th, 2010, 00:42
Yes - Baansaladaeng is owned and managed by a friendly Farang-Thai gay couple. They will make you feel welcome.

But contrary to what some have said recently, if he's an Englishman, I'm a Dutchaman!

February 27th, 2010, 00:49
Ok. Thanks.

One last question, and I really do appriciate your time on this. Do you know of any other that may have a pool???

Thanks.

Liam

paperboy
February 27th, 2010, 05:30
hi
ive booked the malaysia hotel
it has a pool, and got it for 850 a nite
looks good and also no fee for my new freinds

paperboy

paperboy
February 27th, 2010, 05:33
sorry its not 850 that is the hotel in pattaya, the malaysai is 928 a night

February 27th, 2010, 05:38
Hi Paper...
When are you going? Have you been before?
x

paperboy
February 27th, 2010, 18:48
hi
ive sent you aprivate mesage

a447
February 27th, 2010, 21:05
Rose Hotel, Pinnacle Lumpinee and the Malaysia.
I think the Rose wins hands down. I've stayed there lots of times and it has everything you could want, including a pool. The Malaysia is a little far from the bars, but the Rose is right among them - well, almost. No joiner fee and no funny looks from the women at the reception desk.

February 28th, 2010, 00:57
hi
ive sent you aprivate mesage

Iv enot been able to read my msg for some reason...

pong
March 1st, 2010, 07:26
for all your info;
takeanap is a hoStel=mainly dorms. These places do NOT allow any Thai or ''guests'' male nor female. There are 5 around Silom, for some completely unfathomable reason to me, all found on sites like hostelworld or hostelbookers. I remember helping nout some lost-looking young gays in front of it there once-who became shocked to learn about the age21+ entry check at soi 2 and that Taniya (other as their prized guidebook suggested) was mainly for Japanese and not that gay either.
For me it also excapes me why some ''young person'' would want to stay daytime there in that area-unless you sleep till dusk and then start ''clubbing''.
In the immediate Silom area are no hotels with pools at that price-range. As suggested-the Malaysia and that area seems more fir to that. And thats just a short walk to babylon too.

danny99
March 1st, 2010, 15:41
Hi All,

I have spent some time today researching and seem to have found 3 Places of Interest...Although my 1000 budget for silom is a little far stretched I have moved outwards slightly...!!!

I could do with some recommendation on the Rose Hotel, Pinnacle Lumpinee and the Malaysia.

Thanks

At all 3 places there is never a problem bringing back friends, day or night!

The Rose is the most expensive, old place recently renovated but with small rooms...plus is nice swimming pool at the rear with men's sauna in change rooms..can be interesting. Cafe is boring [VERY basic breakfast, sometimes included in room cost] but Thai restaurant for lunch, dinner, beside pool is excellent. Old, mainly Chinese lady staff at reception are great, all been there for many years to back when it was by the hour only! Internet by the hour, not bad but expensive, vouchers at reception.

The Malaysia is the cheapest and the roughest; rooms [quite large] and some arrogant reception staff...you are just a number. Facilities very old, including swimming pool area. Lumpy mattresses and pillows are the norm and you can sometimes score bed bugs as a bonus. Many boys sitting on the oustside steps late at night if you have missed out, but do not forget they are there because they have missed out too!! Breakfast not included, buy from a la carte menu [food just OK] or go elsewhere. Internet is in noisy foyer, behind you are all the old men discussing who they had for Baht 50 last night! The internet os usually slow, and quite expensivel

Pinnacle Lumpinee is my current choice. I pay around $27 p.d. via Agoda, thus earning future discounts, [BEWARE you cannot change dates] includes BIG buffet breakfast, free 24 hour wi-fi in the room if you bring laptop or use of 2 PC's in the foyer. Reception very Thai, never a smile in sight, bored with any complaint! Rooms large and with everything. Big bonus is swimming pool on the roof with sauna and steam room which even though officially for mixed sexes can really operate sometimes between 3.00 and 6.00. Sometimes a poor horny straight boy [Thai or tourist] suddenly finds out what life and orgasms are all about! Taxi 50 baht from Silom [same as Malaysia] or one stop on the underground train if early.

paperboy
March 2nd, 2010, 02:20
hi everyone
great top├мc
but im sticking with the malaysia hotel

paperboy

danny99
March 2nd, 2010, 14:55
The Pinnacle would be my suggestion as well but wholesale room rates start at about 1150 if you make your reservation with Jimmy the in house Gay room discount guy...yes really! As of about a year ago they have added a joiners fee of 300 baht if you do not book a double which cost more....so be prepared to pay 1150+ a joiners fee if you take someone home with you! Add to that 45 baht each way (train . stops running at 12 nitely). Have fun!

I have no idea why anyone would book through Jimmy..cash, no credit cards, no other benefits, difficult to contact and rates NOT cheap. Current Agoda rate [always double is same price as single and breakfast included for two if booked well in advance] is less than $30 [Baht 900] with taxes, so why be stupid and pay more? My friends regular visit without hindrance.

lonelywombat
March 3rd, 2010, 06:04
paperboi you have done this routine about what hotel to stay at too many times.....it is getting very tired indeed.

hereforme you have gone through this negative and knocking cycle of other posters far too many times, it is getting tiresome and very boring.
why dont you take your own advice.

BTW paperboys follow up post was because the PM he sent to lip1 could not be read. But then you dont read all the posts do you?

thrillbill
March 4th, 2010, 05:00
The various hotels above can vary 200-400 baht between each other.. It can be a normal repulse to jump onto the "850" baht hotel but there are also other factors...such as locaton ( how many times will you need to take a taxi; how far is it from the Skytrain; breakfast included/ not included? ...). I prefer staying in the Silom area since I will be spending most of my time there and have access to the Skytrain and my room is so close.

goji
March 4th, 2010, 05:45
This post was made by hereforme who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

goji
March 4th, 2010, 05:46
This post was made by hereforme who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

It's "here for me" as no one else reads the posts.

March 4th, 2010, 07:49
Hi Guys,
Im sad to see some of the arguments goin gon. Sorry to have caused any hassle!!!

It seems I am leaning towards the Pinnacle at the moment. Cheap on agoda and seems to be just out of the action to have a chill out at the pool..
im only there for 5 nights before moving to samui so i guess i will survive even if its not my perfect choice!!!

I must say a big thanks to all for the advice. But as a decent looking 24 yr old im sure i will manage to pick up some good looking lads in DJ and have plenty of fun at the pool and room!!! So i can miss out on the Malaysia steps and head for the pinncacle. I am not convinced the Rose is worth paying nearly double, and at double its the Corner room, which has had poor reviews!!!

Thanks again, really nice of you all.

xxx

March 4th, 2010, 08:30
thelip1 - I think you made the best decision to stick with the Pinnacle.

I was in fact just about to post when I saw your reply. There is a tendency on these Thai forums to assume that everybody else is a middle-aged farang only interested in the bars of Silom Soi 4 and the rentboys of Soi Pratuchai (also known as Soi Twilight), thus the (well-meaning) advice to stay close to the action.

New joiners to these boards tend to be younger - that's why they're not familiar with Thailand and need to ask.

For younger visitors and those who rarely or have never come to Thailand, Silom may not be where the action is. For them, there are just DJ Station and G.O.D. in the Silom area, and since these are late venues, one would have to use taxis anyway as the skytrain won't be running at that hour. All other places of interest are outside Silom - the historical and cultural sights, for example. Also, for younger farang tourists, Pinnacle Hotel is much more convenient for getting to Babylon sauna. For younger Asian visitors, Chakran sauna on Soi Ari 4 may be their chief attraction and Chakran is nowhere near Silom.

In fact for younger Asian tourists (and I use the American meaning of Asian = East Asian, not the British meaning of Asian = South Asia), I would recommend staying along the Sukhumvit line, giving easy daytime access to Chakran, Morchit (Jatujak market), Paragon and Emporium shopping malls, and massage places like Hero. Younger Asian visitors would only make the occasional foray to Soi Twilight and DJ Station, so there's no need to stay in the Silom or Surawong area.

March 4th, 2010, 09:05
Younger Asian visitors would only make the occasional foray to Soi Twilight and DJ Station, so there's no need to stay in the Silom or Surawong area.

'occasional foray'? have u ever been to the ground floor of DJ Station?

March 4th, 2010, 09:49
Oh yes, I have (and each time swear never to go back because it's such a fire trap), and I totally agree with what I think you're saying - that DJ is more Asian tourist than even Thai, with Westerners a small minority. But just because there are so many younger gay Asians in DJ does not mean that younger gay Asian visitors spend all their evenings in DJ.

If you look that tourism statistics for 2007 (the latest that I can find) 53 percent of tourist arrivals are from East Asia and Asean countries. About 27 percent from Europe and about 6 percent from the Americas. Furthermore, since 2007, I believe the main growth has been from Asia, due to the greater effects of the financial crisis on the West. Logically then, there are far more gay Asians visiting Thailand than gay farangs. If on any given night, only a small number of the former are in DJ Station, they'd be enough to fill the club. This effect can be produced in two ways: when either a small number of Asian visitors go to DJ every night, or a larger proportion of them make the occasional foray. I tend to believe it's the latter.

Another thing I have noticed: Gay Asians are generally interested in food and shopping and a significant proportion of them are early risers, preferring to spend their days doing these things, so they won't spend many nights out late. They're also more likely to off boys and go for sex massage than westerners of the same age group, satisfying themselves through this route, rather than through meet-ups at dance clubs. Culturally, they have less of a hang-up about paying for sex than the Judeo-Christian West. Just observe how young some of the Asian customers are at Hero.

Beachlover
March 4th, 2010, 16:19
Younger Asian visitors would only make the occasional foray to Soi Twilight and DJ Station, so there's no need to stay in the Silom or Surawong area.

'occasional foray'? have u ever been to the ground floor of DJ Station?

Gotta agree... heaps and heaps of young foreigners at DJ Station. Some real cuties.

Beachlover
March 4th, 2010, 16:28
For younger visitors and those who rarely or have never come to Thailand, Silom may not be where the action is. For them, there are just DJ Station and G.O.D. in the Silom area, and since these are late venues, one would have to use taxis anyway as the skytrain won't be running at that hour. All other places of interest are outside Silom - the historical and cultural sights, for example. Also, for younger farang tourists, Pinnacle Hotel is much more convenient for getting to Babylon sauna. For younger Asian visitors, Chakran sauna on Soi Ari 4 may be their chief attraction and Chakran is nowhere near Silom.

I disagree Silom isn't worth staying in for young tourists. It's very conveniently located around the middle... skytrain and MRT nearby... lots of shops, massage places, markets, etc.

The historical and cultural sights are spread out and you only tend to visit them once.

You can't downplay the convenience of having DJ on your doorstep if that's where you want to go that night. Two of the hotels I've stayed at were within a 30-second walk of DJ... nothing beats that convenience. I'd sit in my room working till about 11 or 11:30... then slip downstairs and be in the club in mere seconds! Returning was just as easy if the night ended at DJ.

As a "young tourist" I've been to Babylon once or twice and have to say it bored the crap out of me. There are much more fun places to pick up than there in Bangkok. But that's not to say this would be the case with everyone.

In fact for younger Asian tourists (and I use the American meaning of Asian = East Asian, not the British meaning of Asian = South Asia), I would recommend staying along the Sukhumvit line, giving easy daytime access to Chakran, Morchit (Jatujak market), Paragon and Emporium shopping malls, and massage places like Hero.

Sukhumvit is a nice idea. Might consider trying that sometime.

Beachlover
March 4th, 2010, 16:32
Oh yes, I have (and each time swear never to go back because it's such a fire trap), and I totally agree with what I think you're saying - that DJ is more Asian tourist than even Thai, with Westerners a small minority. But just because there are so many younger gay Asians in DJ does not mean that younger gay Asian visitors spend all their evenings in DJ.

If you look that tourism statistics for 2007 (the latest that I can find) 53 percent of tourist arrivals are from East Asia and Asean countries. About 27 percent from Europe and about 6 percent from the Americas. Furthermore, since 2007, I believe the main growth has been from Asia, due to the greater effects of the financial crisis on the West. Logically then, there are far more gay Asians visiting Thailand than gay farangs. If on any given night, only a small number of the former are in DJ Station, they'd be enough to fill the club. This effect can be produced in two ways: when either a small number of Asian visitors go to DJ every night, or a larger proportion of them make the occasional foray. I tend to believe it's the latter.

Another thing I have noticed: Gay Asians are generally interested in food and shopping and a significant proportion of them are early risers, preferring to spend their days doing these things, so they won't spend many nights out late. They're also more likely to off boys and go for sex massage than westerners of the same age group, satisfying themselves through this route, rather than through meet-ups at dance clubs. Culturally, they have less of a hang-up about paying for sex than the Judeo-Christian West. Just observe how young some of the Asian customers are at Hero.

It's true there are a lot of young Asians at DJ... I've met plenty... from Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, all over.

Also true that most tend not to sleep and do nothing all day... but I think this is more to do with being young and having things to do.

Bangkok is seen as being a nice weekend getaway... cheap and accessible... cheap shopping... food... fun.

paperboy
March 4th, 2010, 18:03
Bit has the Pinnacle. got a pool??????????????????????

paperboy
March 4th, 2010, 18:43
wanker

March 4th, 2010, 21:33
Does the Pinnacle Hotel have a pool? All it takes is one attempt at Google search, and you get this page:
http://www.pinnaclehotels.com/lumpinee/services.html

March 4th, 2010, 21:40
Does the Pinnacle Hotel have a pool? All it takes is one attempt at Google search, and you get this page:
http://www.pinnaclehotels.com/lumpinee/services.html

Presumably your objection is that paperboy's post was unnecessary?

How then would you classify your own?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

March 6th, 2010, 20:12
I will be in Bangkok and pattaya in April 2010 09 till 19 - Total 10 day at Thailand - Just book the same thing as mine interested email me for more info guy.joey@gmail.com

FLIGHT DETAILS

Airasia www.airasia.com (http://www.airasia.com)

From 9 of April 2010 Singapore FD 3504 (SIN) fly 14:40 reach about 16:05 Bangkok Intl (BKK)

From 19 of April 2010 Bangkok Intl (BKK) FD 3505 fly 16:45 PM reach about 20:05 PM Singapore (SIN)

Hotel
09/04 till 13/04 Suriwong tower inn http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/Bangkok/suriwongse 850 x 4 = 3400 thb

13/04 till 15/04 New Joe guesthouse http://www.newjoeguesthouse.com 500 x 2 = 1000 thb

15/04 till 19/04 howards Guesthouse http://www.howards-pattaya.net/index.html 600 x 4 2400

Tour

15/04/2010 BUS from Khaosan Hotel to Pattaya Hotel email service@rendezvousinthailand.com attn Gigi 550 thb

19/04/2010 bus Pattaya тАУ bkk Airport http://www.belltravelservice.com 200 thb

Itinerary of Songkram
1st Day - Check In Suriwongse Tower Inn and Chinatown & Sauna
2th Day - Bo Bae (Tower) Market & Shopping Malls & Platinum Market & Sauna
3th Day - Chatuchak weekend market & show or Sauna or Clubbing
4th Day - Suanlum Night Bazaar & at night Patpong Market & Songkran Time EVE watergun & Sauna
5th Day - Banglamphu market & Songkran Time watergun and Sauna
6th Day - Floating Marketing & Bridge over the River Kwai & Banglamphu market
7th Day - Go pattaya and check in hotel and Dongtan gay beach And Sauna
8th Day тАУ Pattaya Coral Island and Soi Bhuakhao Market and Soi 13 market
9h Day - small F1 Raceing and Lotus and Thepprasit Nightmarket
10h Day тАУ Free and easy and shopping center
11h Day тАУ take bell travel service from pattaya to Bangkok airport back to Singapore

paperboy
March 7th, 2010, 00:07
thanks for that joey
sounds good.

have a good holiday
i will be there from may26 til june 13

paperboy

March 25th, 2010, 03:12
Hi Guys,
Sorry for my lack of input and replies over the last few weeks...Im now going to put another spanner in the works..

I have found the I Residence Hotel. They seem to be offering a pretty good deal and for a few extra pounds(Compared to the Pinnacle which was my preferred hotel) I can get a pretty sweet room, with what looks to be a smart looking hotel and nice pool and BTS Chong Nonsi Station right outside.
It states its gay friendly too...so i guess friends to the room wont be a problem!!! The location seems better than the Pinnacle also.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

xxx

March 25th, 2010, 08:38
Can anyone tell me why I am unable to read my private messages?

Thnks

March 25th, 2010, 09:29
http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2010/1003/iymk_pens_0323.jpg

Can anyone tell me why I am unable to read my private messages?
[X] Screening letters for secret messages:

Any invisible ink can be made visible by {Jinks or} someone who is sufficiently determined, but the limitation is generally time available and the fact that one cannot apply hours of effort to every single piece of paper. Thus successful use of invisible ink depends on not arousing suspicion that invisible ink may be present.

Telltale signs of invisible ink, such as pen scratches from a sharp pen, roughness or changed reflectivity of the paper (either more dull or more shiny, usually from using undiluted ink) can be obvious to a careful observer {like Inspector Surfcrest?} who simply makes use of strong light, a magnifying glass and their nose. {Aidepikiw}

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/07/Invisible_Ink.jpg

March 27th, 2010, 06:33
That was not a very helpful reply...Thanks!!!

Beachlover
March 27th, 2010, 07:47
Post it in the "Posting Guidelines" board and you might be able to get a response from the one of the moderators.

danny99
March 28th, 2010, 13:52
hi
ive booked the malaysia hotel
it has a pool, and got it for 850 a nite
looks good and also no fee for my new freinds

paperboy

You would have been better oif at The Pinnacle Lumpinee in same street, similar cost. Not only a swimming pool but a sauna and steam room that both you and your 'friend' may enjoy? Or alone on your own in the afternoon if you want a free matinee? Also a good buffet breakfast that if you book via Agoda and add a madeup name as the 2nd person [ no extra charge] then you get two vouchers for breakfast every day.

TrongpaiExpat
March 28th, 2010, 19:25
Malaysia is fine Pinnacle about 300 bht more........Outside coffee shop between 4-6 PM....Good for picking up guys! Ibis across the street, walk down that street about 600 meters and you will find a good very inexpensive restaurant....open air across from an italian restaurant. To silom by taxi should be 45-50 baht. If gay saunas are you thing you can walk to Babylon.

The Italian restaurant your talking about is called Lido. The owner is in a renegotiation phase with the landlord and might be having to relocate after April. There's property available down the soi, I'll post latter if he has to move.

The open air place is called Trajai. The owner told me he owns the property so no landlord problems. There's an enclosed A/C section too.

Both places do a good business and are two of my favorites.

Oh Oh's restaurant near by is also a good place. There was some problems with the staff and a bad cook a while back but it's all worked out now and Oh Oh's is back on it's game but the word is not out and business is slow. A lot of the regulars moved on and have not returned. Menu need some new items.

The French restaurant, Vicky La Moure, across from the Malaysia is closed, turned into a massage venue looking for gay customers by the looks of it. Running adds in all the gay mags.

Shuee
August 19th, 2010, 03:50
can someone care to update on the current state of possible joiner fee's at pinnacle - if still in place are theses still applied if you book a room for 2/double room?

August 20th, 2010, 12:34
The New Fuji is within walking distance from Silom. I stayed there about 2 years ago and my budget was $800 baht per day so I know it was less than that, just can't remember the exact price. I had 3 friends come up to my room and they didn't seem to care. It's a pretty big place.

August 21st, 2010, 18:06
The New Fuji is within walking distance from Silom. I stayed there about 2 years ago and my budget was $800 baht per day so I know it was less than that, just can't remember the exact price. I had 3 friends come up to my room and they didn't seem to care. It's a pretty big place.

I hope you know I almost choked on my cornflakes when i saw that $ sign in front of the 800

:rolling:

August 21st, 2010, 18:13
I hope you know I almost choked on my cornflakes when i saw that $ sign in front of the 800 :rolling:

I was pleased to note that it was 'cornflakes' and not something else that you almost choked on Scotty!

August 21st, 2010, 18:25
I hope you know I almost choked on my cornflakes when i saw that $ sign in front of the 800 :rolling:

I was pleased to note that it was 'cornflakes' and not something else that you almost choked on Scotty!

Chance would be a fine thing!

I see Zebedee got banned

:rolling:

August 21st, 2010, 18:37
Chance would be a fine thing!

I see Zebedee got banned :

I can only presume that with his very spiteful, hate filled posts he was either trying to get banned or if not then admitted to a mental institution.

Beachlover
August 21st, 2010, 22:23
LOL... By the time I saw his last post he was deleted and locked.

Hysterical indeed... he was springing with rage.