PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry your passport with you in Thailand?

quiet1
February 23rd, 2010, 17:02
Many foreigners in Thailand feel that it is safer leaving their passport in the hotel/home safe and simply carry a photocopy of the real thing. Many others don't even do that. That is probably sufficient if the "Boys in Brown" flag you down on the highway for a routine traffic stop, but it probably would NOT be sufficient if the Immigrations Police get involved, such as they often do in bar busts.

Recently (Feb 21, 2010) the Bangkok Post included a quote from Lt. Gen. Wuthi Liptapallop, the new head of the Immigration Bureau:

But there were be no let up on the requirement for all foreigners to carry their passport with them all times, he said. "This is for identification purposes. It is a law. Every Thai national must carry their ID card with them at all times, so why should foreigners be exempt? To carry a copy is not acceptable because it is impossible to see whether it is counterfeit or altered. Carrying a passport is not something we thought up in Thailand, but a normal regulation in many countries. I have been to many countries and carried my passport with me all the time."source: Ridding Thailand of foreign criminals (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investigation/33287/)

And, yes, I always carry my passport with me when in any other country other than my home country (USA), including when in Thailand.

February 23rd, 2010, 17:24
I don't carry my passport around without when I am city dwelling, just like they said "All Thai citizen require to carry their ID with them all the time". I am only take my California ID with me in my wallet.

Beachlover
February 23rd, 2010, 17:32
I carry my passport. Don't see any reason not to.

I keep it safe but don't stress much about losing it because I have multiple photocopies placed in my bags so I can organise a replacement fairly quick if the worst happens.

February 23rd, 2010, 17:36
Yes I always carry mine as I keep in in a rather fetching pink holder inside which is just enough space to slip 2 condoms and a sachet of KY.

:hello1: :hello1:

atri1666
February 23rd, 2010, 17:50
Yes always since my first visit in 1983. But never have had any control

February 23rd, 2010, 17:56
Yes always since my first visit in 1983. But never have had any control

Don't worry Dear, the vast majority of farang have no control either.

In fact, some don't even have a passport - it having been removed by the homeland authorities before they fled.

TravellerDave
February 23rd, 2010, 17:58
I just carry a photo-copy including one of the visa form. I just feel its too risky to wander about with the passport - I might misplace it and also carrying it in your pocket causes it to deteriorate. I chatted to one guy who could not travel because his passport had become too battered.

February 23rd, 2010, 18:00
...I chatted to one guy who could not travel because his passport had become too battered.

After a month in Thailand he would look the same as the passport.

camperboy
February 23rd, 2010, 18:36
Hmm, it is still okay to carry a photocopied passport right? Or my national ID?...

Somehow, I don't feel safe carrying my passport around in Bangkok, especially on a night of great debauchery. :headbang: :headbang: lol

February 23rd, 2010, 20:25
I've lived in Pattaya for years and never carry a passport or credit/debit cards (unless I know I'm going to use an ATM). I simply keep a copy of my passport photo page and visa details in my wallet. The risks of having a pocket picked are far greater than being asked for ID by BIB. I remember this question arose at a regular meeting of the local expats club a couple of years ago and the MC asked members to raise their hand if they had ever been asked for ID outside of a motoring situation. There must have been at least a hundred people in the room, and not a single hand was raised. Of course if you're driving a car or riding a motorbike you are an easy target for a challenge, so full ID should always be carried. So should a copy of your medical/accident insurance unless you want to be carted off to the public hospital if things go pear-shaped.

cdnmatt
February 23rd, 2010, 21:36
I used to carry my last passport around, but then when I went to renew it in Canada, the Canadian government gave me shit, and said if I do that again, they won't issue me another passport. When you're packing it around all over, it tends to get a little more worn (not to mention vulnerable), and the government doesn't seem to like that.

So no, don't carry my passport anymore.

February 23rd, 2010, 21:59
What about carrying one's (foreign) ID card? Would that be acceptable? After all, it's easier to carry an ID card in one's wallet than a passport.

February 23rd, 2010, 23:44
I carry a reduced and laminated photo copy of my passport. I had my wallet lifted on Silom once and fortunate for me I wasn't carrying my passport.

On my last trip I thought I lost my passport so I called the embassy. I was given a list of requirements to meet in order to get a new passport and I was told it would take 10-15 business days for the replacement. Lucky for me, my passport turned up, but had it not, I would have missed my return flight by a week.

Since then, drivers license and photocopies.

There was some chatter on Thai Visa about this a few months ago. Someone claimed and backed it up with a link that all a person needed was a form of official ID, no passport. I'm trying to find that post.

February 24th, 2010, 01:30
I just reapplied for my passport which would have expiered before I returned from my next trip. The US now has a passport ID which I will carry. It only costs $20.00 dollars extra. When traveling outside the USA by air you still need the passport with pages but he passport ID should fullfill the requirements in other lands.

goji
February 24th, 2010, 03:01
I carry mine.

To prevent deterioration, some kind of plastic sleeve is useful. I currently use one from an old UK building society passbook, but would like a slightly better sleeve.

Also, it's necessary to select clothes with deep pockets & preferably press-stud or zip closures.

February 24th, 2010, 05:31
I only carry a photocopy of my passport and make sure the original is well secured in the hotel safe.
Never had a problem that way.
I do carry my Australian drivers licence and my international drivers licence though.

fedssocr
February 24th, 2010, 05:55
I always carry mine with me. But then I am only there for a couple of weeks at a time. You can get a nice leather holder to help keep it from getting mangled too much for a few bucks.

mahjongguy
February 24th, 2010, 09:07
My passport is a precious thing; no way it's leaving the house without good reason. Still, it's a fact that the new guy is turning up the heat in Pattaya, so:

- always carry a copy of your passport
- at least one other photo ID is a good thing
- a Thai driver's license is golden, as the current ones have your passport number and your address

I've been told that the law says in Thai that a foreigner must "be able to produce" his passport. That means if it's not on your person they can sit you down in the police station until you somehow "produce" it. A wise tourist or ex-pat should give some thought in advance to how they can make that happen. Who ya gonna call, how will they get in your room, etc.

Finally, on those occasions when you know that you are going to be out late in an area known for its intrigues, you probably should carry the actual passport with you, but only if you can secure it inside your clothing in some comfortable yet reliable manner.

Smiles
February 24th, 2010, 09:13
" ... I used to carry my last passport around, but then when I went to renew it in Canada, the Canadian government gave me shit, and said if I do that again, they won't issue me another passport ... "
More bollocks from cdnmatt. Somehow I doubt that 'carrying around one's passport' is a good enough reason for denying you one on your next renewal.
Where do you get this stuff?

The Canadian Olympic hockey team was defeated 5-2 by the $#&@*%^& Americans the other day:

The Olympics are in Vancouver. [/*:m:39i3nset]
Cdnmatt is from Vancouver. [/*:m:39i3nset]
Was cndmatt wearing a helmet for the game? [/*:m:39i3nset]
Apparently not.[/*:m:39i3nset]

On Topic:

I never carry my passport while at home ... it resides all lonely (except for the piles of money) in my wall safe. I carry it when on multi-day travels within Thailand away from our home, but even then it's in a bag en route, and in a safe at the hotel.

I have a wallet-sized laminated copy which I carry (both sides, plus the visa page) at all times. Quiet1 says that's not OK, and although I believe the original post I think I'll take my chances. Passports are highly sort-after in the Black World, as well as being bulky and uncomfortable to carry.

Unless there is a very major entanglement with the fuzz then I suspect you'll just get a slap on the wrist and be asked to bring the passport in the next day. No problem.
In the case of being caught en flagrante delicto(sp?) with a twelve year old, then all bets are off and I guess I'll get what I deserve: carrying your passport will do you little good.

Beachlover
February 24th, 2010, 10:07
He might have meant the Canadian Embassy gave him shit for the passport being in tattered/poor condition after carrying it around so much... Still... it's no excuse for not carrying it around. You can always put it in a slip/case or something. I wonder if it fits in an iPhone sock?

Pain in the arse... but then if you can carry your wallet... phone... keys etc... passport should be no problem.

As for losing it... this is a risk. You don't avoid carrying all credit cards and cash around for fear of losing them right? Should be no prob if you have good pockets.

quiet1
February 24th, 2010, 10:12
I'm actually quite surprised how many folks say they *do* carry their passport.

I just thought it'd be a good reminder as to what Thai Immigrations expects from everyone. I've noticed in media reports about bar raids, that usually the Immigration Police are present, presumably to check for illegal aliens working there, and also to see if they can catch any illegals/overstayers who are customers. With the sabre rattling about getting rid of undesirable/criminal foreigners, they may step up such policing.

Another bit of trivia, as it was explained by USA Embassy folks: "Your" passport does not belong to you, it actually belongs to the government that issued it. (Or, at least, that's apparently how it works with USA passports.)

mahjongguy
February 24th, 2010, 10:17
Should be no prob if you have good pockets.
Maybe you haven't ridden a songteow out to Jomtien Beach lately. :clown:

Blueskytoday
February 24th, 2010, 10:42
I have been to Thailand many many times.
I have never been stopped nor asked to show my passport.
I never carry it...I could lose it easily, one way or another..
Too many problems getting a new one if lost..
I carry a photo copy..
IF I were asked by the police,,then they can accompany me to
my hotel and see it after I get it out of the safety box...
Doubt very much they would not do this..besides,
if I have done nothing wrong,,,,I see no problem

TrongpaiExpat
February 24th, 2010, 11:17
I am never quite sure why this topic carries so much interest and gets so many responses. Only a post on how to get to Pattaya from the airport will garner such interest.

OK, I'll join in. I do not carry my passport, never been asked by anyone to produce it, other than when I go to immigrations or check in a hotel. So, unless I am going to Immigrations or a hotel or something that I know I need a passport, it says home. I do not carry a copy. I do have a Thai DL and that's in my wallet.

On the topic of passports, one thing that annoys me is immigrations officials putting stamps where ever they find an empty page. My visa and reentry permits are all over the place. Then there's those countries like Myanmar and Indonesia that use up take two pages for a 30 day visit visa. I have had to add pages twice to my passport. I get a new one next year and when Thai Immigrations gets finished with all the duplicate stamps and such, it will be about half full on day one.

I mark the reentry page and point out the date to immigrations when I reenter Thailand. Then it's a very good idea to see that the new stamp has the correct date before you walk away from the desk. There's a line at immigrations called "Stamp Correction" and I guess if you latter find out that the guy at the airport forgot to change his stamp from what is usually set at, 30 days, then your going to have to get that corrected. Catch it at the window and he can fix it right there.

Beachlover
February 24th, 2010, 17:22
Well, I might be annoyed if I had to carry it everywhere but Thailand is the only country where I do this (because I'm aware they require it).

cdnmatt
February 24th, 2010, 19:24
" ... I used to carry my last passport around, but then when I went to renew it in Canada, the Canadian government gave me shit, and said if I do that again, they won't issue me another passport ... "
More bollocks from cdnmatt. Somehow I doubt that 'carrying around one's passport' is a good enough reason for denying you one on your next renewal.
Where do you get this stuff?

From the immigration supervisor at the Vancouver passport office downtown. Why?

After traveling quite extensively for a little over two years, and carrying my passport with me, the emblem was worn off, page edges a little worn, a small tear on page 2 (the photo page), and minor water damage. They were about to refuse me the simplified renewal process and force me to go through the new application process, because one of the requirements for simplified renewal is old passport is in "good condition".

After pleading with two officers, the supervisor came out, looked things over, and decided to accept it. However, he also made sure to give me a lecture while doing it. He said if I ever came back with a passport in that condition, there's a good chance the government wouldn't issue me another. It's a very important travel document, and it's the government's property, not mine. If I prove I'm not taking good care of the government's property, or am being careless with it (ie. packing it around on songtaews) they have every right to refuse it to me.

1PR4BKK
February 25th, 2010, 01:43
I DO carry my passport when in Thailand.

I have visited many countries and have never wanted or felt safe carrying my passport around with me; therefore, I always kept it in a hotel or condo safe. When I first travelled to Thailand I did the same thing. However, after reading reports of raids and political unrest I decided it might be a good idea to carry it around just in case I needed to produce it on demand.

Taxis I have ridden in have been stopped on a couple occasions during late night traffic blockades. Since I tend to rent motorbikes during my stays in Pattaya and Chiang Mai, I thought it would also be a good idea to keep it on my person at all times just in case there is an accident. I have to admit that it was a pain to carry it all of the time at first but I figure better safe than sorry in the Land of Smiles.

From what I have heard about the recent safe break-ins and safe removal from their foundation, I hardly believe that leaving it back in the hotel or condo is a guarantee against loss.

Since carrying my passport I have noticed that it has gotten a bit more wear and tear than before this new practice. When I recently submitted it for additional pages in my home country (USA) I got no hounding about it. I do my best to keep it in protective covering when going to the beach, in rainy weather and during Songkran.

February 25th, 2010, 02:13
After pleading with two officers, the supervisor came out, looked things over, and decided to accept it. However, he also made sure to give me a lecture while doing it. He said if I ever came back with a passport in that condition, there's a good chance the government wouldn't issue me another. It's a very important travel document, and it's the government's property, not mine. If I prove I'm not taking good care of the government's property, or am being careless with it (ie. packing it around on songtaews) they have every right to refuse it to me.The usual government bluff and bluster followed by my favourite words "Just this once ...". In reality your Human Rights Commission or whatever you have in Canada would probably take up your case if it ever got past you having a quiet chat with your local MP. I suppose if you wanted to be bloody minded you could lodge an FOI request for the relevant manual on re-issuing passports or send a letter to the head of your Passport Office quoting what you were told and asking for him to provide excerpts from the relevant government manual. Trust me - it doesn't exist.

However given these security-obsessed days, I am sure that they were within their rights to insist that you made a fresh application rather than a renewal application since there was some uncertainty (given its condition) that your passport was in fact an original that hadn't been tampered with. Your original post, by not setting out exactly what happened in detail led to you being vilified (not that that's a bad thing) in this thread.

Beachlover
February 25th, 2010, 06:37
Maybe don't take the threats literally then but the basic message is, "please don't mess up your passport like this again".

Just carry it with a cover... Mine would be messed up too if I just stuck it straight in my pocket like a wallet or phone each time.

February 25th, 2010, 06:41
I just carry my Thai ID card. I'm a citizen of course: jut ask Copper Pheel.

giggsy
February 25th, 2010, 06:47
Never been asked for it in Thailand but they have this rule in spain also. I was asked once in Spain and I said my passport was in the safe in my hotel room and thats where its staying. I just got waved on.

February 25th, 2010, 06:54
Foreign ID card + photocopies of passport + money

Smiles
February 25th, 2010, 08:53
" ... but then if you can carry your wallet... phone... keys etc... passport should be no problem. ... You don't avoid carrying all credit cards and cash around for fear of losing them right? ... "
Wrong. I carry none of that around. Such stuff also resides in the home safe.
Walking around, going out at night, to clubs, to music bars, to the beach, to the opera, the night market, the host bars, the hong nam, the 7-11 etc etc etc I carry enough cash to get me through whatever we're doing, plus somewhat more. That's it: no lumps on my butt, not annoying hump to sit on, not wallet or passport to concern me, no credit cards. The house keys are slim and slide into the same pocket as the two small laminated ID items mentioned above.

cdnmatt
February 25th, 2010, 09:07
Agreed with Smiles, or at least when I'm out of country. When I'm in Canada, I don't care, and pack everything around.

When out of country in places like Thailand though, I do have a wallet, but there's nothing really in it except business cards, some photocopies, and say 5000 baht maximum. Everything else stays in the safe. Simply because I can't afford to lose any ATM cards, because then what? I can't call the bank in Canada, and ask them to FedEx me a new ATM card to Thailand. They'll ask me to visit the nearest branch in person, even though it's 13,000kms away.

Surfcrest
February 25th, 2010, 09:32
The usual government bluff and bluster followed by my favourite words "Just this once ...". In reality your Human Rights Commission or whatever you have in Canada would probably take up your case if it ever got past you having a quiet chat with your local MP. I suppose if you wanted to be bloody minded you could lodge an FOI request for the relevant manual on re-issuing passports or send a letter to the head of your Passport Office quoting what you were told and asking for him to provide excerpts from the relevant government manual. Trust me - it doesn't exist.
blah blah blah blah blah

Why would an MP in their right mind involve themselves in a bear trap like this? You donтАЩt suppose the press would pick up on it? My bf was robbed in Barcelona last year (surprise, surprise). When he came home and reapplied for his replacement, he was told that if he lost his passport again, they wouldnтАЩt replacement it again until his expiry date some 3 years later. This, whether it was his fault or not.

Canadian passports are scanned at various travel check points going in and out of the country. If your passport is too worn out to be scanned or there is any other damage to either the document or the pages inside, things could get complicated for you. If you are going to carry it, put it in a plastic sleeveтАжthey sell them in so many Thai street markets. Consider carrying it in a hidden pocket, one that isnтАЩt going to get wet with perspiration or bent.

There are a few new passport rules and bureaucratic powers in Canada since 9-11. You could challenge that authority.......and see where it gets you.

February 25th, 2010, 13:33
Why would an MP in their right mind involve themselves in a bear trap like this? You donтАЩt suppose the press would pick up on it? My bf was robbed in Barcelona last year (surprise, surprise). When he came home and reapplied for his replacement, he was told that if he lost his passport again, they wouldnтАЩt replacement it again until his expiry date some 3 years later. This, whether it was his fault or not.I bow to your superior knowledge of the totalitarian country in which you live.

allieb
February 25th, 2010, 13:54
I never carry my passport with me in any foreign country. I live in Saudi and my residence and exit re-entry visa are in the passport. Should it be lost it could take a long time to sort out. First the British Embassy then The Saudi Embassy who would need to get my employer to visit the foreign workers office in Saudi. Finally a shit load of bureaucratic shit between the two governments.

Taking all this into account I don't give a fuck what the Thai law states, my passport stays locked in the safe. I would rather take my chances with a photocopy and the Thai entry visa than go through a bigger nightmare of the loss of the Passport. I would think that in most cases The Thais would accept this, if they didn't I'm sure it coud be sorted quicker than a lost passport.

Beachlover
February 25th, 2010, 16:34
Agreed with Smiles, or at least when I'm out of country. When I'm in Canada, I don't care, and pack everything around.

When out of country in places like Thailand though, I do have a wallet, but there's nothing really in it except business cards, some photocopies, and say 5000 baht maximum. Everything else stays in the safe. Simply because I can't afford to lose any ATM cards, because then what? I can't call the bank in Canada, and ask them to FedEx me a new ATM card to Thailand. They'll ask me to visit the nearest branch in person, even though it's 13,000kms away.

That's a good point... I carry a spare credit/debit card (accounts in a different bank from my primary) and keep this separate from my wallet. If my wallet goes... still go back to my hotel and access funds with the spare.

Beachlover
February 25th, 2010, 16:38
" ... but then if you can carry your wallet... phone... keys etc... passport should be no problem. ... You don't avoid carrying all credit cards and cash around for fear of losing them right? ... "
Wrong. I carry none of that around. Such stuff also resides in the home safe.
Walking around, going out at night, to clubs, to music bars, to the beach, to the opera, the night market, the host bars, the hong nam, the 7-11 etc etc etc I carry enough cash to get me through whatever we're doing, plus somewhat more. That's it: no lumps on my butt, not annoying hump to sit on, not wallet or passport to concern me, no credit cards. The house keys are slim and slide into the same pocket as the two small laminated ID items mentioned above.

You must have an orgasm each you say the word... "wrong"

Well that's fair enough... everyone has their own preferences. I never keep stuff in my back pocket. Uncomfortable to sit on and it's the easiest pocket to nick from.

February 25th, 2010, 16:44
I never carry my passport with me in any foreign country. I live in Saudi and my residence and exit re-entry visa are in the passport. Should it be lost it could take a long time to sort out. First the British Embassy then The Saudi Embassy who would need to get my employer to visit the foreign workers office in Saudi. Finally a shit load of bureaucratic shit between the two governments.

Taking all this into account I don't give a fuck what the Thai law states, my passport stays locked in the safe. I would rather take my chances with a photocopy and the Thai entry visa than go through a bigger nightmare of the loss of the Passport. I would think that in most cases The Thais would accept this, if they didn't I'm sure it coud be sorted quicker than a lost passport.

Agreed, I have only ever carried a photo copy of the main pages and visa pages of my passport in my wallet. In over 20 years I have never been asked to produce it, and those that I have talked to who have, the photo copy has been sufficient. Maybe if you were some place where you shouldn't be then original documentation would be asked for. Keep in mind that if travelling outside of the main tourist areas then some kind of I.D. might be required, but again that depends where you are.

Beachlover
February 25th, 2010, 17:14
I suspect (I may be wrong)... if you are an upstanding looking (caucasion) farang (which I am not)... you might not get such a hard time because they are more keen to catch illegal workers from neighbouring countries. Maybe I'm wrong though...

February 25th, 2010, 17:29
I suspect (I may be wrong)... if you are an upstanding looking (caucasion) farang (which I am not)... you might not get such a hard time because they are more keen to catch illegal workers from neighbouring countries. Maybe I'm wrong though...

That is a possibility Beachlover; whenever I have gone into an establishment with a Chinese friend from Hong Kong the staff automatically, because they believe them to be Thai have spoken to them in Thai.

Beachlover
February 25th, 2010, 17:45
Yeah... I get that all the time... I get a heap of Thai blurted at me and I have no idea what they are saying so I just give a sheepish smile and say, "sorry I don't speak Thai".

February 25th, 2010, 18:43
I bow to your superior knowledge of the totalitarian country in which you live.
Despite the central role played by Canadian John Humphrey, the Canadian Government at first abstained from voting on the Declaration's draft, but later voted in favour of the final draft in the General Assembly.[10]

Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR, 1948), Article 13: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
Everyone has the right to leave any country, including their own, and to return to their country.

Surfcrest
February 25th, 2010, 20:09

You need not bow too low there Colonel. As you know I actually live here, where you are only speculating on how things areтАжтАжfrom so far, far away. How very Beachlover of you, but then again Copper Pheel really doesnтАЩt have any real experiences of his own as a character of a script writer correct? Why not tell us a little about the Pattaya you know, now that youтАЩve settled in!

Despite the central role played by Canadian John Humphrey, the Canadian Government at first abstained from voting on the Declaration's draft, but later voted in favour of the final draft in the General Assembly.[10]

Nicely done once again stop {Bot}, you sure know your Google! IтАЩm not sure how this is tied to the threadтАЩs discussion, try Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms! While one may be free to travel within the country from Province to Province and to come and go from the country that wouldnтАЩt super cede oneтАЩs requirement to carry a valid passport to exercise that right.

One may enjoy rights and freedoms while they carry a valid passport, but these rights and freedoms donтАЩt speak of oneтАЩs right to be issued a passport. There are separate regulations governing this, especially since terrorists and other тАЬevil doers" have used our passports for ill purposes in the past.

"evil doers" (http://www.wrmea.com/backissues/0198/9801026.htm)

February 25th, 2010, 21:18
"evil doers"
Your "shitty little state" (not my words, of course) doesn't provide you with a valid passport? You don't want to go to court? Try plan B. Cooperate with your real friends! A friend in need is a friend indeed. Most normal gays love Independence Park: https://www.mossad.gov.il/Eng/recruit/R ... tions.aspx (https://www.mossad.gov.il/Eng/recruit/Register/Explanations.aspx)

February 25th, 2010, 21:27

You need not bow too low there Colonel. As you know I actually live here, where you are only speculating on how things areтАжтАжfrom so far, far away. How very Beachlover of you, but then again Copper Pheel really doesnтАЩt have any real experiences of his own as a character of a script writer correct? Why not tell us a little about the Pattaya you know, now that youтАЩve settled in!

I'd be equally interested in hearing tale of your exploits as a police officer in Cardiff. I'm sure they rival even those of our own long lost Officer Botting. Did you ever get assigned to vice duty, keeping the local cottages free of thirteen year-old cocksuckers?

February 25th, 2010, 21:51
I am never quite sure why this topic carries so much interest and gets so many responses.

Neither am I, TE, neither am I - particularly as those "responses" are always exactly the same as they were only a month or so ago: the usal list of what people do and why they do it (which, to be fair, is what was asked for), as well as the usual uninformed rubbish about what they think is legally required. As has been pointed out countless times before, what is legally required is a verifiable official form of identity - this is usually assumed to be an ID card for Thais (incorrect, as a passport is equally acceptable though unlikely to be carried in lieu) and a passport for foreigners (also incorrect,as a Thai Driving Licence is equally acceptable to both regular and Immigration Police, who can verify the holder's visa details immediately by computer using his passport number, or a National ID card which can later be supported by a passport if required).

Hmm, it is still okay to carry a photocopied passport right?

No- technically it has never been "okay".

Or my national ID?...

Legally, yes.

What about carrying one's (foreign) ID card? Would that be acceptable?

Legally again again, yes.

There was some chatter on Thai Visa about this a few months ago. Someone claimed and backed it up with a link that all a person needed was a form of official ID, no passport.

They were correct.

When traveling outside the USA by air you still need the passport with pages but he passport ID should fullfill the requirements in other lands.

Including Thailand.

I've been told that the law says in Thai that a foreigner must "be able to produce" his passport.

You were misinformed.

February 26th, 2010, 01:50
"evil doers"Your "shitty little state" (not my words, of course) doesn't provide you with a valid passport? You don't want to go to court? Try plan B. Cooperate with your real friends! A friend in need is a friend indeed. Most normal gays love Independence Park: https://www.mossad.gov.il/Eng/recruit/R ... tions.aspx (https://www.mossad.gov.il/Eng/recruit/Register/Explanations.aspx)He could always turn to one of our Forum members whose hobby is identity theft, making up false profiles of members and posting them on other Boards.

Beachlover
February 26th, 2010, 02:34
I think he just performs that service exclusively for you.

Smiles
February 26th, 2010, 09:17
" ... You must have an orgasm each you say the word... "wrong" ... "
No, but I do have an orgasm every time you reply to every post on this Board (sometimes it's 'multiple' ... your posts, and my orgasms, that is).
Because of this oddity, I no longer need a boyfriend anymore, much less a warm body.

Surfcrest
February 26th, 2010, 09:42
He could always turn to one of our Forum members whose hobby is identity theft, making up false profiles of members and posting them on other Boards.

Sounds like something someone may have picked up from you on this Board.
How is Trapnel and your dear cousin Bate? Still teaching up in China?

February 26th, 2010, 10:06
How can one steal the identity of a fictional character, a mere pastiche created by a coterie of scriveners with nothing more than "fun" in mind?

February 26th, 2010, 12:58
Did you ever get assigned to vice duty, keeping the local cottages free of thirteen year-old cocksuckers?Your persistent interest in thirteen-year-old boys is duly noted but I see does not need updating in your Interpol file.

February 26th, 2010, 15:46
[quote="Fuck-Face":1wm2kisz]Did you ever get assigned to vice duty, keeping the local cottages free of thirteen year-old cocksuckers?Your persistent interest in thirteen-year-old boys is duly noted but I see does not need updating in your Interpol file.[/quote:1wm2kisz]

On the contrary, dear: it is you, in all of your various incarnations, who constantly expounds on your cottaging activities from a young age.

February 26th, 2010, 16:08
Not that it's anyone's business at all, but I first had sex with another male at the age of thirty-seven.

allieb
February 26th, 2010, 17:33
Was it free or did you pay?

February 26th, 2010, 17:51
Was it with Ronnie Biggs?

February 26th, 2010, 17:56
Was it with Daffyd Thomas?

February 26th, 2010, 18:03
or Cyril Smith?

Beachlover
February 26th, 2010, 19:08
Elton John?

Beachlover
February 26th, 2010, 19:09
" ... You must have an orgasm each you say the word... "wrong" ... "
No, but I do have an orgasm every time you reply to every post on this Board (sometimes it's 'multiple' ... your posts, and my orgasms, that is).
Because of this oddity, I no longer need a boyfriend anymore, much less a warm body.

I just feel dirty now.

February 27th, 2010, 03:49
You'll find all the details in my autobiography if I ever finish writing it. Working title: "May The Force Be With You". Until then my publisher insists I don't say too much (although he's very interested in the details Fuck-Face has promised about my alleged cottaging activites as a 13yo). I wonder how much longer it will be before Fuck-Face can quote chapter and verse from a thread to which I've contributed here. Perhaps it's something he's inferred from our [email=thonglor55@yahoo.com:58r8fidi]email correspondence[/email:58r8fidi].

mahjongguy
February 27th, 2010, 07:26
.. a Thai Driving Licence is equally acceptable to both regular and Immigration Police, who can verify the holder's visa details immediately by computer using his passport number, or a National ID card which can later be supported by a passport if required).

GoneFishing, since you have presented yourself as something of a final authority on the law, let's skip what the law says or doesn't say; what matters is what actually takes place when an officer asks to see your ID. You say that even an Immigration officer will be satisfied by a Thai Drivers License. I agree that in many cases that will be true, but sometimes it won't. He's not obligated to call in your passport number and request verification and, unlike in many Western countries, their vehicles don't have computers. Plus there are cases when the DL has the yellow book ID instead of the passport number.

As for national ID cards, it's not so comforting to say that they can be "supported by a passport if required". Hanging out at the pokey while that's being arranged is exactly what we're all trying to avoid. This aspect is especially interesting to me because the US now issues passport cards for land border entries; at first I thought it might be great to have one but my instinct is that they'd carry no more weight than a Top Charoen discount card.

TrongpaiExpat
February 27th, 2010, 08:32
their vehicles don't have computers

Most times they don't have vehicles. They're either on motocy's or on foot at a road block. 5 frigin pages on this topic! Computers? Computers? we don't have no stinkin.............

[youtube:254k2uut]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ[/youtube:254k2uut]

February 27th, 2010, 08:38
their vehicles don't have computers

Most times they don't have vehicles. They're either on motocy's or on foot at a road block.

Motor bikes aren't vehicles?

February 27th, 2010, 09:12
Perhaps it's something he's inferred from our email correspondence.

Don't look now, but the bald old cunt apparently now imagines that we have some kind of "email correspondence". LOL.

February 27th, 2010, 10:16
[quote="Copper Pheel":2ulp57kn]Perhaps it's something he's inferred from our email correspondence.Don't look now, but the bald old cunt apparently now imagines that we have some kind of "email correspondence".[/quote:2ulp57kn]You clearly have me confused with someone esle. I have my own hair and am not bald. I note you're completely unable to substantiate your earlier comment in this thread that I was sexually active with men from the age of 13. In fact every time inconsistencies have been pointed out to you, your sole defence is that I'm schizophrenic, whereas clearly all the mental health problems lie with you.

February 27th, 2010, 10:32
Yes, clearly. LOL.

danny99
February 27th, 2010, 14:08
I have a great problem with this!

Particularly as I come from a country [Australia] that is not a police state and like the UK and other countries that were founded under English law we do NOT have ID cards in Australia. An Australian Passport belongs, at all times, to the Australian government and as a holder we are responsible for keeping it safe under lock and key. Its use is to process us through immigration entry to foreign countries.

There are plenty of other valid ID forms such as photo-Id driving licenses and credit cards.

I have been visiting Thailand on a regular basis for 40 years and have never carried my passport with me other than on arrival and departure at the airport, it stays in the locked room safe with tickets, money, etc. I also have never carried it with me in any other foreign country and have never been asked for it except one night, many years ago, in a gay bar in Bruxelles when in reply I complained about 'police-state activity' to the young plain clothes policeman and got into a pleasant discussion abut quality of life in OZ! He was almost cute enough to take home!

February 27th, 2010, 14:13
I have a great problem with this!

Yeah, ranks right up there with AIDS and world hunger.

Get a grip, people -- this is no big deal.

Beachlover
February 27th, 2010, 17:21
I come from a country [Australia] that is not a police state and like the UK and other countries that were founded under English law we do NOT have ID cards in Australia.

You're in Thailand. Not Australia. It's nothing to do with being a police state. Thailand has land borders with four countries and needs to keep tabs on who's legal and who's not. That's why it requires its citizens to carry an ID card at all times. Put yourself in their shoes.

Its use is to process us through immigration entry to foreign countries.

That's one of its uses. It also serves as a form of ID when you're overseas. Ever walked into a club that checks for ID like DJ Station? What do you use for ID there?

There are plenty of other valid ID forms such as photo-Id driving licenses and credit cards.

How is a credit card a substitute for a passport as a form of ID?

Your drivers license doesn't give your visa expiry date.

I think it's simply a case of... "We have unguarded borders so we need to be able to check frequently for people who are in the country illegally and it's not viable if we have to drag every foreigner back to their hotel for each check". That's why they want you to carry ID. If you choose not to, simply deal with the consequences (whatever they are). Sounds like it's pretty rare that you are checked.

An Australian Passport belongs, at all times, to the Australian government and as a holder we are responsible for keeping it safe under lock and key. Its use is to process us through immigration entry to foreign countries.

Sometimes I think people get a bit over the top and stressed about how valuable their passport is. It's important to look after it, yes, but people lose their passports all the time. It's not like the government sends you to jail for a spanking. They're happy to replace it for a fee, as long as you don't keep losing it. It's inconvenient and not ideal but not the end of the world. There are established procedures for having it replaced while you're overseas.

Do you lose your wallet and keys all the time? Your mobile phone? Your iPod? I've never lost one of these items, which I carry most of the time and I don't expect to lose my passport when it's deep in my jeans pockets either.

quiet1
March 4th, 2010, 08:45
This post, quoted from a thaivisa.com thread (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Law-Requring-Foreigners-Carry-P-t212453.html) seems to me to be the most reasonable explanation of the situation:

While the Immigration Act neither requires foreigners to carry the passport at all times nor gives the police the right to give a foreigner a fine if he cannot show his passport on the spot when asked to do so we should not close our eyes to the fact that a policeman can do much worse under the law. He can detain the foreigner on suspicion of having entered into the Kingdom in violation of the Immigration Act. Detention could mean being locked in a cell at the police station until the foreigner proves that he entered the country legally and if he fails to so within a certain period he would have to brought before a judge, who would then decide whether to issue an arrest warrant.

Therefore, all things considered, it appears advisable and useful to carry oneтАЩs passport at all times. A policeman can, if he wishes, decline to accept any document other than your passport, the original, as proof that you entered Thailand legally and he can, if he wishes, detain you and lock you up until you provide such proof.

When a policeman gives you a тАЬfineтАЭ it is not a real fine, based on a law. He gives you the opportunity to dispel his suspicion about your being illegally in Thailand by offering something else, a few banknotes, as proof in lieu of your passport. There have been reports by members that many policcemen accepted also other papers such as a work permit, Thai driving license, copy of passport, etc, as proof but this is of course at at the officerтАЩs discretion. He would have the legal right to play out the worst-case scenario if he wanted to, ie bring you the police station and lock you up until you show your passport.

March 4th, 2010, 14:00
I'm coming back next month for the whole 30 days where I don't need a visa. Last time was my first time and I didn't carry my passport at all. If I carry my passport everywhere what about pickpockets?

March 4th, 2010, 14:07
Don't carry your passport everywhere, that's ridiculous. If anything, just a photocopy.

March 4th, 2010, 14:20
From the link
http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help- ... vel-advice (http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/travel-advice)

Around 812,000 British nationals visited Thailand in 2008 (Source: Tourism Authority of Thailand). 843 British nationals required consular assistance in Thailand in the period 01 April 2008 тАУ 31 March 2009 for the following types of incident; deaths (288 cases): hospitalisations (198 cases); and arrests, for a variety of offences (202 cases). During this period assistance was also requested with regard to lost or stolen passports (774 cases). The majority of consular cases occur in Bangkok, Pattaya and Koh Samui.

Lost/Stolen passports makes for the MAJORITY of consular caese. I wonder how many of those occurred when someone was unnecessarily carrying their passport? MOST I would think.

Be smart. Keep your passport locked away in your luggage or hotel safe whenever not needed in Thailand!

cdnmatt
March 4th, 2010, 14:37
Sometimes I think people get a bit over the top and stressed about how valuable their passport is.

I think you're downplaying the importance of a passport, and I bet your government would say the same. It's probably the most important piece of ID the vast majority of us will ever have in our lifetimes. Packing it around like it's a driver's license isn't very wise.

March 4th, 2010, 14:40
Sometimes I think people get a bit over the top and stressed about how valuable their passport is.

I think you're downplaying the importance of a passport, and I bet your government would say the same. It's probably the most important piece of ID the vast majority of us will ever have in our lifetimes. Packing it around like it's a driver's license isn't very wise.

I agree with Beachlover. It gets lost, it gets lost. You can replace it within a day. It's more of a hassle to get a new driver's license. It's not the freaking family jewels. Yawn.

cdnmatt
March 4th, 2010, 15:23
I don't know, the government got pretty pissy with me when my passport was a little too worn out. I can't see the driver's license office doing that.

March 4th, 2010, 15:32
This time I might try and find a Thai sex cinema but perhaps those places could have more pickpockets? Does anyone have experience of this?

Beachlover
March 4th, 2010, 16:12

I agree with Beachlover. It gets lost, it gets lost. You can replace it within a day. It's more of a hassle to get a new driver's license. It's not the freaking family jewels. Yawn.

I think it takes a few days (never lost mine so I don't know for sure) but nevertheless, it's far from the end of the world. Just don't let the Israeli government get their hands on it.

I don't downplay how important it is. I just don't think people need to get so high strung and high horsed about protecting it. I'd rather lose my passport than my laptop.

Just out of curiosity... anyone from Australia ever lost their passport? What was it like trying to get a replacement?

Brad the Impala
March 4th, 2010, 20:58
Just don't let the Israeli government get their hands on it.

:rolling:

March 4th, 2010, 21:42
Just don't let the Israeli government get their hands on it.

In case they snip the tip off?

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

cdnmatt
August 6th, 2010, 19:39

Sorry to dig this thread up, but was reading, and stumbled upon:

In cases of motorcycle rentals, some companies have been known to "steal" the motorcycle and claim for loss. When compensation is not collected, travellers often have difficultly in retrieving their passport that was left as collateral. Travellers whose passports are inaccessible in such situations may be subject to investigation by Passport Canada and may receive limited passport services.

From: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/ ... ?id=290000 (http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=290000)

Limited passport services = You get a one-time use passport to go home, then that's it.

soi_toi
August 7th, 2010, 00:22
This was from the Stickman blog a few weeks back.

July 11, 2010

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickmanB ... -River.htm (http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2010/Bangkok-Chaopraya-River.htm)

Question 2: For as far back as I can remember - and I first came here in 1988 - farangs have been arguing about whether the law requires us to carry our passports on us at all times. As best I personally can figure, the law requires Thais to carry IDs but not foreigners, but the police are slow to make this distinction and do not like to be told a farang might know the law better than he does. But I can't be sure this is correct either. So what's the bottom line on foreigners and carrying passports? And I don't mean just is it a good idea - is it required under the law?

Sunbelt Legal responds: According to the UKтАЩs Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO): тАЬBy law, tourists are expected to carry their passports with them at all times in Thailand. There have been incidents where tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport.тАЭ See here. Also, the United States (see here), Irish, French and Australian foreign office/embassy websites (as well as others) all tell their citizens to carry copies of their passports with them when traveling abroad (and often when discussing traveling in Thailand specifically). These notices took on a more foreboding tone during the institution of Martial Law during and after the 2010 тАЬRed Shirt riotsтАЭ with numerous announcements on radio, TV and print from the Thai Government stating that foreign nationals needed to carry their passports with them for identification. Most Thais will tell you that after the age of 15 they are required to carry their National ID card with them. The Thai Police will tell you that the law actually states that everybody in Thailand needs to carry an official document proving their identity. The law doesnтАЩt specify a passport for foreign nationals or, as a matter of fact, the Thai National ID Card for Thai citizens so in theory a Thai Driving license, a work permit or a National Identity card should all be considered valid (although you could always be asked to produce your passport later to a Thai Immigration officer). Copies of passports, despite what you may be told, are not official documents and while they are not technically acceptable, in practice they are readily accepted in almost all instances involving routine checks by the Thai Police. The bottom line is that it appears to be both the law and simply a good practice to carry as identification a photo-copy of your passport and visa with you at all times in Thailand.

August 7th, 2010, 04:44
I think the circumstance of being asked to produce your passport would justify whether the official would insist on seeing the original document or not. In all the cases that I ever heard of or came across a photo copy of the main pages of your passport including your current visa page was satisfactory.

August 7th, 2010, 05:56
Instead of the Passport, do you think it would suffice if some of the ex-pats just carried a few newspaper cuttings of their previous trials?

I only ask.

Beachlover
August 7th, 2010, 13:24

Sorry to dig this thread up, but was reading, and stumbled upon:

In cases of motorcycle rentals, some companies have been known to "steal" the motorcycle and claim for loss. When compensation is not collected, travellers often have difficultly in retrieving their passport that was left as collateral. Travellers whose passports are inaccessible in such situations may be subject to investigation by Passport Canada and may receive limited passport services.

From: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/ ... ?id=290000 (http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=290000)

Limited passport services = You get a one-time use passport to go home, then that's it.

I wouldn't leave my passport with any rental company or anyone other than a consulate (for processing) for that matter. Only in rare circumstances (not in Thailand) I have left my passport with the hotel I am staying with because they required it.

August 7th, 2010, 14:32
Instead of the Passport, do you think it would suffice if some of the ex-pats just carried a few newspaper cuttings of their previous trials?

I only ask. :hello1: :hello1:

Depends who it is Scotty as some of those we have heard about would need a suitcase to carry the cuttings in.

August 7th, 2010, 15:40
Fortunately, as a Thai citizen (yes, it's true! just ask Homintern!), all I have to do is carry my ID card.

allieb
August 7th, 2010, 17:51
Fortunately, as a Thai citizen (yes, it's true! just ask Homintern!), all I have to do is carry my ID card.

Yes Joan Rivers. After all those face lifts you almost look Thai

gorcum-old
August 7th, 2010, 22:06
The canadian pasport office is very serious about keeping your pasport clean and safe.
When I visited Holland a few years ago I lost my pasport and it was replaced after I got back in canada, I had to travel withmy drivers licence and a police report., when I went to pick up the new pasport I got a lecture that the next time I lost it again before it was expired I would not get a new one.
Also a Thai policeman i happen to know told me that the laminatedcopy of my pasport was a very good idea.

Beachlover
August 7th, 2010, 22:37
Yeah, but big whoop. People do lose things. If it was the first time you lost it the lecture was unwarranted... just some public servant wanting to feel authoritative for a moment.

August 7th, 2010, 22:49
Unless you have broked the law at home and have some travel restriction imposed, I fail to understand how a government office can refuse to re-issue a replacement passport. It's you that pays for it not them, and it is your democratic right to be able to come and go as you please. I would think that they would first have to criminalise losing a passport more than once for them to be able to refuse to issue a replacement.

As Beachlover mentioned earlier, never leave your passport with anybody unless it's a recognised government office such as Immigration or an Embassy. Any legitimate car rental, hotel etc would/will take a photocopy of your identification documents and does not have the right to hold onto the original.

Again, unless your are travelling around Thailand just carry a photo copy of your main passport pages including the current visa page and you wont have a problem. If you are involved in something considered serious then the official will in most cases escort you back to your hotel to see the original document. Being polite to the official who requests identification as with most people in Thailand always helps as well.

Beachlover
August 8th, 2010, 16:26
Question: You know for places like DJ Station where they check your ID before entry?

Would they accept a photocopy?

I assume this is unlikely, but maybe someone has tried it before?

cdnmatt
August 8th, 2010, 17:07
Unless you have broked the law at home and have some travel restriction imposed, I fail to understand how a government office can refuse to re-issue a replacement passport. It's you that pays for it not them

Sure they can. The very first sentence on the first page of my passport says, "This passport is the property of the Government of Canada.". I'm sure yours says something similar. It's the government's property, not yours, and they can do whatever they'd like with it.

August 8th, 2010, 17:28
Sure they can. The very first sentence on the first page of my passport says, "This passport is the property of the Government of Canada.". I'm sure yours says something similar. It's the government's property, not yours, and they can do whatever they'd like with it.

We know what it says on a passport Matt. But the government of a democratic country would have to have a legitimate reason within the laws of that country to refuse to issue a passport or restrict a national from travelling abroad. No government official can say you are not having another passport because you lost the other one. If they did say it and refused to issue you one get on to the nearest lawyer, he'd have a field day.

August 8th, 2010, 17:30
But the government of a democratic country

Yes, but we're talking about Canada here...

Beachlover
August 8th, 2010, 17:35
Canada isn't a democracy?

Beachlover
August 8th, 2010, 17:40
Really, I would disregard any "stern lecture" given by a passport office clerk. What a wank. Do they give the same lecture to someone who'd been in an aircraft accident? Or the victim of a robbery?

Passports get lost all the time, no matter how careful people are. They can't not give you a passport just because you happened to have lost two of them. Losing 4 or 5 passports, maybe, but not 2.

August 8th, 2010, 17:46

Not sure, they still claim allegiance to Lizzy.

August 8th, 2010, 18:33

So does Australia, New Zealand and a quite a few other countries which does not make them undemocratic.

August 8th, 2010, 18:37

Are you saying that having a monarch as Head of State disqualifies a country from being a democracy?

I've no love for the UK Royal family but I'll take them over the "democratically elected" President Mugabe for example.

Not forgetting Hitler either.

August 8th, 2010, 18:41
Guys, guys...it was just a JOKE. As lame a country as it is, Canada is indeed a democracy. Though you just know that, deep down, they'd prefer not to let those wacked out Quebecois vote.

Beachlover
August 8th, 2010, 18:59

So does Australia, New Zealand and a quite a few other countries which does not make them undemocratic.

I don't think that has any practical significance in reality. It's just a legacy thing.

August 8th, 2010, 19:09
I don't think that has any practical significance in reality. It's just a legacy thing.

Exactly Beachlover, the Queen is just a Constitutional Figure Head and has no bearing on any elected government policy. Only a dum American would think otherwise.

cdnmatt
August 8th, 2010, 19:26
But the government of a democratic country would have to have a legitimate reason within the laws of that country to refuse to issue a passport or restrict a national from travelling abroad.

Really? You can't think of a single legitimate reason as to why the Canadian government wouldn't want passports floating around the black market, and in the hands of non-citizens? They could alter the picture, and maybe a couple details in the passport, then travel to any country in the world they wanted (except Canada, I guess).

No government official can say you are not having another passport because you lost the other one. If they did say it and refused to issue you one get on to the nearest lawyer, he'd have a field day.

Uhhh, no... I'm pretty sure the government would just tell the lawyer to politely fuck off, and to go read the law.

cdnmatt
August 8th, 2010, 19:29
Passports get lost all the time, no matter how careful people are. They can't not give you a passport just because you happened to have lost two of them. Losing 4 or 5 passports, maybe, but not 2.

No, but they will ask you why & how you lost your passport. If they determine it was because you're an idiot (eg. got stolen in a short-time room in Sunnee), then yeah, they'll refuse you one. If you took legitimate precautions though, and it just happened, then that's different.

August 8th, 2010, 20:03

Well, duh?

But it does get a rise out of people from those countries when you bring it up -- which is exactly why I did so (and it seemed to have worked).

August 8th, 2010, 20:08
Really? You can't think of a single legitimate reason as to why the Canadian government wouldn't want passports floating around the black market, and in the hands of non-citizens? They could alter the picture, and maybe a couple details in the passport, then travel to any country in the world they wanted (except Canada, I guess).

No government official can say you are not having another passport because you lost the other one. If they did say it and refused to issue you one get on to the nearest lawyer, he'd have a field day.

Uhhh, no... I'm pretty sure the government would just tell the lawyer to politely fuck off, and to go read the law.

Matt dear boy, passports are forged all of the time as is currency. No body wants such a thing to happen thats why progress happens which makes these things difficult to forge on a 'grand' scale. I did not say there was not a ligitimate reason as to why the Canadian or any other government would not worry about it.

To tell a lawyer to 'fuck off' as you like to put it might well do the trick, but they would have to have a very, very good reason to do so as any lawyer worth his salt would have a field day with them. You don't really believe that elected officials can make the law up as they go along. We all know some try, but that is why we have checks and balances. If you really believe that the Canadian government has the right to refuse to issue you with another passport because you had lost yours in 'Sunee' then there must be a law saying that once lost you will not get another one.

If one loses or says that they have lost their passport two, three or whatever number of times then obviously suspicion will be raised as one would have to be either very unlucky, or just plain stupid to lose a valuable document like that more than once in a relatively short space of time.

Perhaps you could look up this Canadian law if there is such a regulation and paste the link for us?

cdnmatt
August 8th, 2010, 20:20
Ok, fine, I'm wrong. Give your local embassy a call, and tell them your passport was stolen from out of your shirt pocket from your beach chair, while you were out swimming. See what they say. My guess is they're not going to say, "Ohhh, no problem. It's just a passport. Drop by anytime, and pickup a new one."

That's why you APPLY for a passport, OBTAIN a birth certificate, REGISTER for a marriage certificate or Social Insurance Number, etc. They call it an application process for a reason.

August 8th, 2010, 20:27
Ok, fine, I'm wrong. Give your local embassy a call, and tell them your passport was stolen from out of your shirt pocket from your beach chair, while you were out swimming. See what they say. My guess is they're not going to say, "Ohhh, no problem. It's just a passport. Drop by anytime, and pickup a new one."

Lost, stolen, found, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible passports

A Canadian passport is a valuable document that should be kept in a safe place at all times. Once a passport has been reported lost or stolen, it is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel. This is to ensure that it is not used for fraudulent purposes. Passport Canada, the Government of Canada or any representative of the Government of Canada cannot be held responsible for any difficulties you may encounter at border crossings if you attempt to use a passport that has been reported lost or stolen.
Lost or stolen

If a passport is lost or stolen, the bearer is required to report the circumstances of the loss or theft to Passport Canada and to the local police. If you are outside Canada, you must report the loss or theft to the nearest Canadian government office abroad and to the local police.

The request for a replacement passport can be made in Canada at any Passport Canada office or at the nearest Canadian government office abroad.

However, before the document can be replaced, Canadian authorities will conduct an investigation into the circumstances. This may lead to delays in processing the replacement passport.

A replacement passport, which may only be valid for a limited period, may be authorized if strict requirements are met. These include the submission of:

1. A completed application formsigned by your guarantor;
2. Two identical, up-to-date passport photos;
3. The appropriate fee;
4. Documentary proof of Canadian citizenship; and
5. A Statutory declaration concerning a lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible Canadian passport (PPTC 203, PDF, 34 KB).

Found

If you find a passport, including your own passport that you previously reported as lost or stolen, you must immediately do the following:

* In Canada: Notify Passport Canada and the local police. The found passport must be returned to Passport Canada.
* Outside Canada: Notify the nearest Canadian government office abroad and return the found passport to that office.

Damaged, destroyed or inaccessible

If your passport is damaged in any way, you could face significant delays at border crossings. Passport Canada therefore recommends that you apply for a new passport if your current passport is damaged. You must also apply for a new passport if your current passport is destroyed or inaccessible.

cdnmatt
August 8th, 2010, 20:32
However, before the document can be replaced, Canadian authorities will conduct an investigation into the circumstances. This may lead to delays in processing the replacement passport.

A replacement passport, which may only be valid for a limited period

Exactly what I've been saying. A "limited period" can mean you get one trip home, and that's it.

August 8th, 2010, 20:37
Right...then you can apply for a full passport once you're back home.

You don't get your rights to travel overseas taken away for losing a passport, or for having one stolen.

August 8th, 2010, 20:49

A replacement passport, which may only be valid for a limited period

Exactly what I've been saying. A "limited period" can mean you get one trip home, and that's it.

Must be a lot of people 'back home' in Canada who can't travel abroad any more. Makes me happy I'm not a Canadian!

BTW MAtt if your bf wants to get rid of you for any reason then he only has to 'lose' your passport for you. You will then have to return home on the limited re-issued document, where you will be forbidden to travel abroad again. Keep it safe mate, keep it safe I would hate for that to happen to you!

cdnmatt
August 8th, 2010, 20:56
Right...then you can apply for a full passport once you're back home.

You don't get your rights to travel overseas taken away for losing a passport, or for having one stolen.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/articles/20080213a.aspx?lang=eng

They have full power to refuse you a passport, if they so desire.

I'm not saying anymore on this thread though.

August 8th, 2010, 21:01
Passport Canada may refuse to issue a passport to, and may revoke the passport of a person who:

* provides false information in the passport application process;
* is charged in Canada with the commission of a serious offence, or a similar offence abroad;
* is imprisoned or otherwise forbidden to leave Canada, or being abroad, is imprisoned or otherwise forbidden to leave that country;
* is subject to conditions imposed by a court that have the effect of preventing possession of a passport; or
* has been convicted of a passport offence under the Criminal Code or the equivalent abroad.

In addition, Passport Canada may revoke the passport of a person who:

* uses the passport to assist in committing a serious offence in Canada, or a similar offence abroad;
* permits another person to use the passport; or
* has obtained the passport by means of false or misleading information.

Don't see anything about a normal person losing a passport or having it stolen. You would have to be proven guilty of a CRIMINAL offense -- like selling it or letting someone else use it. They can't deny you one because you lost your passport or had it stolen, or because they don't like your mug.

Why do you find it so hard to admit you are wrong?

cdnmatt
August 8th, 2010, 21:20

It's trust you, or the immigration supervisor I talked with. I think I'll go with him. I'm guessing he knows more about Canadian passports than you do.

August 8th, 2010, 21:39
It's trust you, or the immigration supervisor I talked with. I think I'll go with him. I'm guessing he knows more about Canadian passports than you do.

I'm afraid that you have misunderstood the regulations Matt. The last paragraph concerning this topic via the link sums it all up:

Passport Canada recognizes that the denial of passport services is a significant sanction and therefore exercises its authority to refuse issuance of a passport only where there is sufficient reliable information available to justify the action. "SUFFICIENT RELIABLE INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO JUSTIFY THE ACTION"

August 8th, 2010, 21:49

I wouldn't be so sure.

I once traveled across Europe with a best friend who happened to be Canadian.

He lost his passport on a train between Paris and Milan.

The Canadian consular staff was exceedingly accommodating, even opening up the embassy for him on a holiday (as it was the first day of a long holiday).

No lecture, no refusals, no attitude.

cdnmatt
August 8th, 2010, 22:00
I once traveled across Europe with a best friend who happened to be Canadian.

Ok, drunk now, and don't give a shit about arguing anymore. Especially about something that will have absolutely no impact on anyone's life here.

Had to add this to your "happened to be Canadian comment" though. :-)

[youtube:1fetifmh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttUvsrcxKmI[/youtube:1fetifmh]

August 8th, 2010, 22:06
Ok, drunk now, and don't give a shit about arguing anymore. Especially about something that will have absolutely no impact on anyone's life here.

I think you mean "...especially about something where I will eventually be proven wrong".

Beachlover
August 9th, 2010, 06:38

No, but they will ask you why & how you lost your passport. If they determine it was because you're an idiot (eg. got stolen in a short-time room in Sunnee), then yeah, they'll refuse you one. If you took legitimate precautions though, and it just happened, then that's different.

"You're an idiot" is very subjective.

They're not going to refuse a passport because you had it stolen from your room or from your belongings.

Yes, but your immigration supervisor is really going to be unbiased about it isn't he?

At the end of the day they're going to make a lot of noise about "losing your passport is a very serious thing with serious consequences" but they can't refuse to re-issue you a passport on the grounds (as unprovable as it is) that you were careless... I mean, even if you let it drop out of your pocket.

There's enough expense and inconvenience involved for the passport holder to make most people take care.... Plus I believe the cost goes up (and possibly the expiry date gets shorter) if you lose multiple passports within a time period.

Beachlover
August 9th, 2010, 06:43
Ok, drunk now, and don't give a shit about arguing anymore.

Look, just admit you're wrong, then have sex and go to bed happy :-)

August 20th, 2010, 12:39
Yes, I put it in a very small plastic bag and then put it in my shoe, to the side of my foot. I especially make sure the plastic bag is sealed during songkran lol.

August 21st, 2010, 00:32
Seriously?

Do you not think you're being a bit paranoid?

What if somebody mugs you and steals your shoes?

Would you not be better keeping your passport up your rectum?

Just to be on the safe side.

:occasion9:

August 21st, 2010, 01:01
Seriously?

Do you not think you're being a bit paranoid?

What if somebody mugs you and steals your shoes?

Would you not be better keeping your passport up your rectum?

Just to be on the safe side.

:occasion9:

Jock keeps his under his kilt no-one ever goes there (not even for money) :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

August 21st, 2010, 01:17
Noooooooooooooooo - au contraire - they all want a little feel just out of curiosity!!

I think you do too,darling.

:bis: :bis:

francois
August 21st, 2010, 02:02
Really,

While at the US Embassy in Bangkok I observed a youngish, student/backpacker type guy applying for a replacement passport. The clerk said "this is the 5th one you lost and no more replacements will be issued". He was given a one-way pass to leave Thailand and return to the USA. Maybe he was selling them?

Beachlover
August 21st, 2010, 22:42
Yes, I put it in a very small plastic bag and then put it in my shoe, to the side of my foot. I especially make sure the plastic bag is sealed during songkran lol.

Wouldn't your passport get more wrecked this way? I mean, how big are your feet? Isn't that a pain in the arse?

Beachlover
August 21st, 2010, 22:43
Really,

While at the US Embassy in Bangkok I observed a youngish, student/backpacker type guy applying for a replacement passport. The clerk said "this is the 5th one you lost and no more replacements will be issued". He was given a one-way pass to leave Thailand and return to the USA. Maybe he was selling them?

That's possible. And in this case, I think restrictions can be justified.