PDA

View Full Version : Working without a Work Permit

February 12th, 2010, 21:32
This guy's application was being processed and they arrested him for working without a work permit.

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd15

Patexpat
February 12th, 2010, 22:06
So what? It's illegal to work until your application is approved -- everyone knows that.

for once, agreed! Very straight forward ....

February 12th, 2010, 22:16
I don't have a problem with it, read my original thread. I'm non-biased, just find it strange that so much time is spent on this sort of thing when such matters such as being mugged or stealed from on a beach baht bus are not being dealt with. At least this guy had his application "in", which does give him some credit in my opinion.

February 13th, 2010, 02:46
I don't have a problem with it, read my original thread. I'm non-biased, just find it strange that so much time is spent on this sort of thing when such matters such as being mugged or stealed from on a beach baht bus are not being dealt with. At least this guy had his application "in", which does give him some credit in my opinion.Thailand is not the West, thank God!

Patexpat
February 13th, 2010, 09:00
I don't have a problem with it, read my original thread. I'm non-biased, just find it strange that so much time is spent on this sort of thing when such matters such as being mugged or stealed from on a beach baht bus are not being dealt with. At least this guy had his application "in", which does give him some credit in my opinion.

so if I had applied for my pilots licence, you'll happy let me take you up for a spin?

February 13th, 2010, 12:50

so if I had applied for my pilots licence, you'll happy let me take you up for a spin?

They say that you can buy almost any ID or qualification certificate you want in the Khao San Road ... why bother applying for a real license.

Beachlover
February 13th, 2010, 13:24
cdnmatt... I'm curious... can you be arrested for doing what you do? Servicing overseas clients from your laptop in Thailand?

I know there would be an "in-theory" and "in-practice" answer to this... I guess in theory it could be the case ... In practice, does anyone ever get picked up for this?

cdnmatt
February 13th, 2010, 19:22
cdnmatt... I'm curious... can you be arrested for doing what you do? Servicing overseas clients from your laptop in Thailand?

I know there would be an "in-theory" and "in-practice" answer to this... I guess in theory it could be the case ... In practice, does anyone ever get picked up for this?

Technically, it's against the law (I think -- not sure). If I had a good lawyer, I might be able to successfully argue the case that technically, I'm working in Canada for a Canadian employer. For example, all of the work is done on servers located within Canada and the US.

Like Dickhead said, if you end up on the wrong side of someone who has friends in the BIB, they can cause you grief, but for the most part it's a non-issue. I've met loads and loads of breeders in the same position as me. Too young to retire, still need to work, and don't feel like sitting around in snow six months out of the year in their home countries.

I actually don't understand why Thailand doesn't offer self-employment VISAs. There's loads of us here, and instead of making us jump through hoops with TR, ED and NON-IMM "O" VISAs, just make a new VISA class for us. As long as you can prove without a doubt that not a single baht of income is generated within Thailand, and put a decent bar on it like requiring proof of say 200,000 baht/month, I don't see the problem. If you can prove that kind of self-employment income coming from outside the country, you're probably not some degenerate who's going to end up homeless, or pushing drugs, or whatever.

cdnmatt
February 13th, 2010, 20:13
What makes it illegal is that YOU are physically in Thailand and WORKING and EARNING INCOME here without paying taxes on it.

Hence why I don't understand why Thailand doesn't offer a self-employment VISA. I'm more than happy to pay taxes here, but I can't. And I'm not alone here. There's loads of people in the same position.

February 14th, 2010, 00:38
[quote="Patexpatso if I had applied for my pilots licence, you'll happy let me take you up for a spin?[/quote]

Ermm! Another idiot I see!!

February 14th, 2010, 00:42
Or just signed up to take the doctor's license exam?

Ahh, now this is not as stupid as it seems, people do get so called "lifetime achievement" qualifications, i.e. degrees etc in Business Studies and also, yes, degrees in medicine.

However, back on subject, another stupid comment. No comparison at all.

maisoui
February 14th, 2010, 02:01
Well Cdnmatt, whether you understand it or not, if you work in Thailand without a permit you are laying yourself open to a visit to an Immigration detention pen, imprisonment, fines and deportation. What is really funny is that my partner works outside of Thailand producing "digitizable artifacts". He will do this in the two countries we spend most of our time in, in which he pays tax, but he won't do it in Thailand...and some of his product is commissioned by Thai domiciled clients.

Diec
February 14th, 2010, 02:45
This man who worked in our lovely country of Thailand clearly knew he was breaking the law. I think he should be punished by the full extent of the law. It only makes it harder for those of us who's dream is to live and work in Thailand.

February 14th, 2010, 04:22
This man who worked in our lovely country of Thailand clearly knew he was breaking the law. I think he should be punished by the full extent of the law. It only makes it harder for those of us who's dream is to live and work in Thailand.

"Our" are you Thai?

February 14th, 2010, 04:49

"Our" are you Thai?

Obviously not - or he would not be "dreaming" of living and working in thailand...

If he were actually HERE he could realise his ambition of doing a ping-pong show in Soi Prostitute

:hello1: :hello1:

Diec
February 14th, 2010, 04:58
No I'm not Thai you dumb ass, I'm speaking for those of us who love Thailand as if we were born there. I consider Thailand my country and have given up my western ways. Speaking Thai is my second language, can you say the same about you?

February 14th, 2010, 07:16
I consider the Milky Way my country and have given up my global ways.

February 14th, 2010, 08:45
I consider Thailand my country and have given up my western ways.What a loser.

Diec
February 14th, 2010, 09:10
No, the real losers are the one who run off to Thailand multiple times per year (many bragging about how many times they have visited in the past thinking it gives them some kind of status) because it's the only place they can get laid and and live their homosexual life without recourse. I on the other hand, have no problem getting laid in my own country, but have fallen in love with Thailand and it's customs. I choose to carry on with my life by using the same customs and standards that make Thailand the place we all want to someday call home.

February 14th, 2010, 11:01
Or just signed up to take the doctor's license exam?

Ahh, now this is not as stupid as it seems, people do get so called "lifetime achievement" qualifications, i.e. degrees etc in Business Studies and also, yes, degrees in medicine.

However, back on subject, another stupid comment. No comparison at all.

Hey, fuckwit...a simple degree in medicine does not allow you to practice as a doctor. You have to have a license.

Hey scab, I know that, and everybody else probably does, but ..... and you call me a fuckwit! derrrrrrrrrrrr! Prick.

February 14th, 2010, 11:24
No, the real losers are the one who run off to Thailand multiple times per year (many bragging about how many times they have visited in the past thinking it gives them some kind of status) because it's the only place they can get laid and and live their homosexual life without recourse. I on the other hand, have no problem getting laid in my own country, but have fallen in love with Thailand and it's customs. I choose to carry on with my life by using the same customs and standards that make Thailand the place we all want to someday call home.Morally superior in every way! Is that a core Thai custom and standard, unknown in the West?

Patexpat
February 14th, 2010, 13:47
[quote="Patexpatso if I had applied for my pilots licence, you'll happy let me take you up for a spin?

Ermm! Another idiot I see!![/quote]

care to justify your comment? It's a perfectly good analogy.

danny99
February 14th, 2010, 14:08
As far as I know no country in the world officially allows you to change your status after arrival [western country, eastern country or 3rd world country]. If you enter as a tourist [tourist visa] you must depart as a tourist. Whilst there you may set procedures in motion and then subsequently re-enter with a different visa, etc. But it seems that everyone wants to cheat, saving a few dollars now often costs so much more in the long run!

cdnmatt
February 14th, 2010, 14:15
Yep, assuming you have all the correct paperwork, you can change your VISA status while within Thailand. I've never actually done it, but it is an option at the immigration offices. Costs 2000 (maybe 3000) baht.

And you can change your status while in Canada as well. Well, not sure about changing your VISA class. I do know you can go from illegal immigrant to permanent resident without leaving the country though. It's not advised to do that though, because if you apply within Canada, you lose your right to appeal.

February 14th, 2010, 14:21
No I'm not Thai you dumb ass, I'm speaking for those of us who love Thailand as if we were born there. I consider Thailand my country and have given up my western ways. Speaking Thai is my second language, can you say the same about you?

Definitely not, and Thailand certainly does not nor ever will consider you as one of it's citizens no matter how much money you spend here.

Have you burnt your home country flag and passport as well yet? If not you could do it publicly in say Sunee, now that would endear all the boys to you, and make you feel even more Thai!

Diec
February 14th, 2010, 14:25
Your an idiot Sanook, and only you can live with that.

February 14th, 2010, 14:27
Your an idiot Sanook, and only you can live with that.

I can live with that just as long as I dont walk around thinking that I am Thai!

Hmmm
February 14th, 2010, 16:18

Geez Thumper, I think most of us old timers knew you just as the rabbit in Disney's Bambi. We thought you lived at Disneyworld. When did you move to Thailand ? And how does a rabbit get a Thai visa ?

February 14th, 2010, 17:17
Geez Thumper, I think most of us old timers knew you just as the rabbit in Disney's Bambi. We thought you lived at Disneyworld. When did you move to Thailand ? And how does a rabbit get a Thai visa ?

Beautiful, I love it :D.........................

February 14th, 2010, 17:24
Yep, assuming you have all the correct paperwork, you can change your VISA status while within Thailand. I've never actually done it, but it is an option at the immigration offices. Costs 2000 (maybe 3000) baht.

The only place you can get a non0immigrant B visa -- which is what is required to hold a work permit -- is at a Thai embassy or consulate overseas. You cannot change your visa from tourist to business while in Thailand.

February 14th, 2010, 17:36

The only place you can get a non0immigrant B visa -- which is what is required to hold a work permit -- is at a Thai embassy or consulate overseas. You cannot change your visa from tourist to business while in Thailand.

Very true, even if you find someone who likes his tea money it is nigh on impossible.........Mind you if you tell the nice man in immigration that you are really Thai and not a Farang anymore then he might just waver the visa/work permit bit!

February 14th, 2010, 18:05

Very true, even if you find someone who likes his tea money it is nigh on impossible.........Mind you if you tell the nice man in immigration that you are really Thai and not a Farang anymore then he might just waver the visa/work permit bit!

Haven't read the entire thread so apologies if this has been mentioned: I believe there is another way of obtaining the Non Immigrant B Visa necessary to gain a work permit - whereby your prospective EMPLOYER may apply on your behalf to the Immigration Dept. In that way a Non Immigrant B Visa CAN be obtained within Thailand. No idea how easy or common this is tho, but I believe it IS possible.

February 14th, 2010, 18:08
Well, I believe you are seriously misinformed.

cdnmatt
February 14th, 2010, 18:19

I never said it was possible to change from TR to NON-IMM "B" within Thailand. I just said it's possible to change your VISA class, which it is.

And yes, I know to obtain a 12 month NON-IMM "O" or "B" VISA, you need to apply outside of Thailand. You can apply in neighboring countries, but it's almost guaranteed you'll be denied. It's highly advised that you apply in your home country.

February 14th, 2010, 18:37
Haven't read the entire thread so apologies if this has been mentioned: I believe there is another way of obtaining the Non Immigrant B Visa necessary to gain a work permit - whereby your prospective EMPLOYER may apply on your behalf to the Immigration Dept. In that way a Non Immigrant B Visa CAN be obtained within Thailand. No idea how easy or common this is tho, but I believe it IS possible.

In all my years of running a large International company in Thailand I never, dispite employing company lawyers, heard that this was possible. TIT actually gives us the impression that nothing is 'impossible' here in LOS, but again going abroad to obtain the correct visa was always said by Immigration Officials to be the only way. If you had previously been employed and had let your visa lapse for some reason that was not seen as deliberate then a sympathetic official might help find a way around granting another visa without the hassel of leaving the country, this would be exceptional rather than the norm.

February 14th, 2010, 19:26
[quote="Patexpatso if I had applied for my pilots licence, you'll happy let me take you up for a spin?

care to justify your comment? It's a perfectly good analogy.[/quote]

I don't agree, there is a whole lot of difference between someone working illegally without a work permit running a small business which he/she is probably capable of as opposed to someone who has applied for a pilot's licence and wants to go out for a spin - the diference being lives could be lost in the latter. The work permit situation, speaks for itself, the most damage he/she could do is put a local out of work - analogy or no analogy - it's common sense.

You have to put it in context. One can organise a tea party but that doens't mean they can run the country as prime minister, there's another comparison which is, well need I say more.

Beachlover
February 14th, 2010, 19:28
Well, ok... what about someone claiming they have already graduated, when they have only "applied" to graduate, or worse, are still fulfilling the requirements?

February 14th, 2010, 19:48
Well, ok... what about someone claiming they have already graduated, when they have only "applied" to graduate, or worse, are still fulfilling the requirements?

In what role? If it is flying then I will leave you decide the answer to that.

Beachlover
February 14th, 2010, 20:07
I was referring to a university degree... but any role... any course... it's still wrong isn't it? How about entering a country without a valid visa (when one is required) but putting up the excuse you have "applied" for one but it's yet to be approved?

Anyway... minor point... but you can't say the BIB were wrong to arrest him.

cdnmatt
February 14th, 2010, 20:35
Anyway... minor point... but you can't say the BIB were wrong to arrest him.

The BIB aren't going to arrest someone like that under such circumstances, without an ulterior motive. Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet there's a good chance that guy pissed off the wrong person.

February 14th, 2010, 22:09

In all my years of running a large International company in Thailand I never, dispite employing company lawyers, heard that this was possible. TIT actually gives us the impression that nothing is 'impossible' here in LOS, but again going abroad to obtain the correct visa was always said by Immigration Officials to be the only way. If you had previously been employed and had let your visa lapse for some reason that was not seen as deliberate then a sympathetic official might help find a way around granting another visa without the hassel of leaving the country, this would be exceptional rather than the norm.

Thaivisa.com is saying much the same as I suggested - dunno how reliable their info is, probably as reliable as mine lol

Patexpat
February 14th, 2010, 22:38

care to justify your comment? It's a perfectly good analogy.

I don't agree, there is a whole lot of difference between someone working illegally without a work permit running a small business which he/she is probably capable of as opposed to someone who has applied for a pilot's licence and wants to go out for a spin - the diference being lives could be lost in the latter. The work permit situation, speaks for itself, the most damage he/she could do is put a local out of work - analogy or no analogy - it's common sense.

You have to put it in context. One can organise a tea party but that doens't mean they can run the country as prime minister, there's another comparison which is, well need I say more.[/quote]

and the bottom line is, BOTH are breaking the law. period. Try your excuse with immigration if they were to pick you up for working without a work permit. See how far it gets you ... possibly back to your home country and a whacking fine if they felt inclined.... and yes I do have a work permit, and I do employ WP holders as well as local Thais.

February 15th, 2010, 01:42

The first statement is correct and the last, entirely incorrect. This, at least within the international education realm. You CAN 'convert' a Tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant "B" as long as you qualify (with all docs) and have at least 21 days remaining on your Tourist Visa. As the former 'Head Farang' of an international school, we often hired educators who had entered Thailand as a tourist. Naturally, if a teacher was recruited from abroad, the Non-B paperwork/sponsor letter was then sent overseas for application in the home country of the applicant (and this is the best route, of course).

In Thailand, sadly, many of the 'lesser schools' are not even aware of their own rules (or don't understand the process?) and thusly force people to go to neighboring countries and jump through hoops which are completely unnecessary.

I honestly don't know for certain, but I must assume that if one can convert the visa for educators, that one could also convert for any other profession. That said, it could be entirely different if the application is based on one's own business entity, etc. But, one should not make a blanket statement that the visa cannot be converted, because it can be (I personally know of at least 8 cases during the last 5 years or so).

On another note in regards to the OP: In the field of education, one always works while the application for the work permit is initially being processed. Again, I cannot speak for any other profession, but that is standard procedure within schools. I have no idea if it is actually illegal or not, but all of the Thai admin people claim that it is completely legal as long as the paperwork is being processed. My guess is that the guy who was busted was targeted for some reason aside from this wp issue, or operating within a profession with far more strict controls.

February 15th, 2010, 07:55
Christ almighty, this was only a news article I read from the Pattaya Mail, and a non-baised, I neither agree or disagree with but to open up all these suppositions and comparisons is crazy. Anyway, I'm a little bored with it now.

February 15th, 2010, 21:31
This evening the new owner of Chez Vicky across from retaurant Bordeux was arrested for not having a work permit in Pattaya the one he had was registered in Bangkok. Belive it or not :idea:

Is there a Chez Vicky in Bangkok, too? I doubt it. So -- what he had was a work permit to work at an unrelated company in Bangkok. Completely worthless for work at Chez Vicky -- whatever that is. You see, a work permit gives you the authority to work for a particular company, in a particular place, in a particular position. It does NOT give you permission to work wherever in Thailand you want.

The laws are pretty simple, aren't they? Yet, too complex for some idiots to comprehend, apparently.

February 15th, 2010, 23:34
This evening the new owner of Chez Vicky across from retaurant Bordeux was arrested for not having a work permit in Pattaya the one he had was registered in Bangkok. Belive it or not :idea:

Is there a Chez Vicky in Bangkok, too? I doubt it. So -- what he had was a work permit to work at an unrelated company in Bangkok. Completely worthless for work at Chez Vicky -- whatever that is. You see, a work permit gives you the authority to work for a particular company, in a particular place, in a particular position. It does NOT give you permission to work wherever in Thailand you want.

The laws are pretty simple, aren't they? Yet, too complex for some idiots to comprehend, apparently.

Obviously we were about to witness the appearance of yet another geriatric drag act in Pattaya before the BIB stepped in - the person you refer to must surely have been about to take to the stage as Miss Sticky Vicky.

February 16th, 2010, 16:07
Please do not get caught working without a work permit.
Last week I visited several prisons in Bangkok ,one was an immigration prison.

I see first hand how Thai Correctional Officers abuse ,belittele,heckle foreign prisoners especially Cambodians with one elderly Cambodian man last week crying with fear as they led him away handcuffed .
They even do it to Farangs from U.K etc.,one several weeks ago,a man in his 40s selling drawing pictures for 20 baht in bangkok arrested and kept for 14 days in custody for working without a work permit forced to sleep on the floor.
The two Thai Correctional officers laughed at him however I will never forget his face as he looked at me.

I do get "my rocks off" by f....g Thais ,especially straight manly type Thais as i try to inflict pain on them ,f....g them hard as I think of their callousness towards foreigners in prisons.
They wouldnt treat a dog the same way.But of course you dont see that.
Do you see forced tattoos on foreign prisoners .
Do you see how foreign prisoners are forced to beg like a dog? Do you see the mind games these Thais use on foreign prisoners in the immigration jail as they try to break them.

To some of you oh its ok to treat foreigners like this.

I also get my rocks off by abusing Thais in my own country especially tough looking thai men and try to egg them on as i abuse them on buses trains etc.

I was in Bang Kwang last Thursday and to say its shocking is the least with extremely rude Prison Officers who heckle foreign prisoners.
Believe me you have rose tinted glasses and hide with a box around you,would easily grow to have extreme hatred for this race once you know their real traits.

To give young girls and boys 18years of age , who come from a poor background a penal servitude of 20 years jail for possessing drugs is ludicrous.
To give a near retarded/intellectually disabled UK boy 24yo ,25 years jail is appalling.and to mock him and abuse him.
Yes I have grown to hate and despise Thai people.And I will keep fucking them..HARD and making them beg to me like the same way they make some poor buggers beg to them in dirty cell.
Whatever dont get caught working without a work visa,DONT BECOME COMPLACENT,BECAUSE THATS WHEN THE NAZIS/SNAKES STRIKE !!!!!!

THE JEWISH PSYCHIATIRIST-

February 16th, 2010, 17:31
It's official: we have a new troll.

February 17th, 2010, 00:14
The Farang in question closed his restaurant with the same name in BKK and opened and opened it here...

And he thought the old work permit would still be good? Case closed.

allieb
February 17th, 2010, 11:55
Obviously we were about to witness the appearance of yet another geriatric drag act in Pattaya before the BIB stepped in - the person you refer to must surely have been about to take to the stage as Miss Sticky Vicky.

I'd love to be in the Venue or Bondi Beach when Maisie is led away in handcufs for working without a permit Now that would be her best performance

February 17th, 2010, 13:10
Not something I thought would come from you ALLIEB.
Maisie I bet has a work permit as im sure has all the farang venue staff ,obviously.
They are a large Company.

On another matter have you been keeping out of hospital lately ?

allieb
February 17th, 2010, 13:42
Not something I thought would come from you ALLIEB.
Maisie I bet has a work permit as im sure has all the farang venue staff ,obviously.
They are a large Company.

I don't think so, I am told that he comes as a tourist on a free ticket paid by the charity and performs in return. If someone can tell me otherwise that he pays his own ticket and performs for charity for free then I will stop critisizing

On another matter have you been keeping out of hospital lately ?

Hospital! for what ?

February 17th, 2010, 13:50
Well ALLIEB,I dont really care if some bloke who wants to dress as a woman performs for free,i really couldnt give a rats arse ,if he wants to do it so be it,makes him happy and he s not sitting on this board like you and me are and he actually has a life then so be it.
Good on Maisie ! Show em how its done.

Well ALLIEB on the hospital issue ,wasnt the Psych Hosp ,so thinking.....thinking......was it the Eye Hospital I once saw you at?

allieb
February 17th, 2010, 15:22
Well ALLIEB,I dont really care if some bloke who wants to dress as a woman performs for free,i really couldnt give a rats arse ,if he wants to do it so be it,makes him happy and he s not sitting on this board like you and me are and he actually has a life then so be it.
Good on Maisie ! Show em how its done.

Well ALLIEB on the hospital issue ,wasnt the Psych Hosp ,so thinking.....thinking......was it the Eye Hospital I once saw you at?

Well seeing as you asked. It's common knowledge I had eye isues which I posted on this forum 3 years ago. The condition has cleaed up completely and everything is back to normal My vision is now perfect again and on no meds.