February 8th, 2010, 00:08
Phuket 01-2010

February 8th, 2010, 00:11
Phuket 01-2010

February 8th, 2010, 00:14
Phuket 10-2010

cdnmatt
February 8th, 2010, 00:44
Now I think I understand why I don't care about Phuket too much. That looks WAY too over-developed for my liking.

Only been there once a few years ago, but had a great time. Never did check out the gay scene, as I was with my husband and parents, but did the tourist thing. Was great, especially snorkeling for the day around various islands. Doesn't really interest me much now though, especially after hearing all the stories about it.

Nonetheless, nice pics, and thanks for sharing!

Beachlover
February 8th, 2010, 11:03
More developed than Pattaya?

Main problem I see with Phuket is lack of room around the main beach, Patong. And you can't just expand to form a long stretch with other beaches (like Jomtien/Pattaya) either... because the terrain is so hilly. So with land so scarce... demand is high... businesses can charge more and don't have to worry about good service.

Day trips to islands snorkeling/kayaking etc. are really nice.

February 8th, 2010, 11:29
Phuket is a tourist trap full of scammers. Prices for just about everything are outrageous, and the traffic is similar to Bangkok. Why any tourist would want to go there is a mystery to me, especially when Krabi and Phangnga are so close by

TrongpaiExpat
February 8th, 2010, 12:11
Phuket is a tourist trap full of scammers. Prices for just about everything are outrageous, and the traffic is similar to Bangkok. Why any tourist would want to go there is a mystery to me, especially when Krabi and Phangnga are so close by

Wonderful places in Krabi and Phangnga. How about a few posts about those places. I posted trip reports about both a long time ago and there's been nothing since. If you have your own transportation you can spend a few days in Phuket and then take off for Phangnga, it's not very far. The hotels during high season in Phangnga are expensive, more so on the average for the same quality in Phuket but low season and shoulder season there good deals.

Speaking of hotel and travel deals: On 25 to 28 Feb 2010 there will be a travel fair at the Sirikit Convention Center and there might be some good prices on Krabi and Phangnga hotels. East to get to from the MRT. It's very much geared for the local Thai population, seldom any adds or notice in the English press but if you have cash or credit cards, your quite welcome.

http://www.bahtsold.com/news?id=2275

February 8th, 2010, 14:52

I certainly agree about the prices for things in Phuket....they are ridiculous and a big trap for first timers. You must also remember though it doesnt matter where you go around the world you are always going to pay more in major tourist places (just my observations). I love Phuket but I dont visit the tourist areas anyway apart from the usual morning coffee with my partner's friends at Connect Bar. I spend a lot of time in the Isaan region (Nong Khai is where my partner grew up) and the prices there are ridiculously cheap!!!

I cant agree with the traffic comment though. I drive regularly in Phuket and North East Thailand and it is no problem at all. There is no way you would ctach me behind the wheel in Bangkok.

Tourists go to Phuket as it is heavily advertised here in Australia as a great destination so that would be my guess to your lat question.

Cheers,

Steve, South Australia

Beachlover
February 8th, 2010, 15:54
Speaking of hotel and travel deals: On 25 to 28 Feb 2010 there will be a travel fair at the Sirikit Convention Center and there might be some good prices on Krabi and Phangnga hotels. East to get to from the MRT. It's very much geared for the local Thai population, seldom any adds or notice in the English press but if you have cash or credit cards, your quite welcome.

http://www.bahtsold.com/news?id=2275

Yeah but to go all the way to a travel convention just to get some good prices on a few nights' accommodation?... Surely whatever you save (if any at all) is eaten by the time/effort taken.

February 8th, 2010, 16:09
There can be some big savings at these fairs. Getting there is not a problem if you are near the skytrain or MRT.

Beachlover
February 8th, 2010, 18:19
Yeah... but for even a two-week stay... how much are you going to save over deals you could find elsewhere?... 10,000 baht?...And that's speculative... to spend half your day getting over there and pushing through the crowds.

But that's just in my imagination... has anyone actually been to one of these fairs and made a saving worth the time/effort? Curious.

TrongpaiExpat
February 8th, 2010, 19:09
Yeah... but for even a two-week stay... how much are you going to save over deals you could find elsewhere?... 10,000 baht?...And that's speculative... to spend half your day getting over there and pushing through the crowds.

But that's just in my imagination... has anyone actually been to one of these fairs and made a saving worth the time/effort? Curious.

Some of us live here. Some of us speak, read and write Thai. If not maybe some of you have someone that you know that can buy something at a travel fair for you. Generally you buy vouchers and they are good up to a year. Yes, there's a crowd and the reason is there's good buys. I have been to many, the saving vary from 20% to about 50% off the best you can find on the internet. Some of the better buys require you buying something like a Nok RT airfare and then a select hotel will give you a good discount.

As I said, it's not packaged for forien tourists, the signs and brochures are mostly in Thai but your more than welcome. It's located off MRT, three stops from Silom.

It gets competitive. One hotel or resort will drop their prices and it starts a price war. Nok and Air Asia got into on last year--Air Asia won. Budget sells rental vouchers for 599 to 620, buy 5 get one free. I buy 20 and get 4 free.

Beachlover
February 9th, 2010, 03:14
Fair enough... if you've done it and found it worthwhile.