PDA

View Full Version : Tuk Tuk price fixing rip off in Phuket

Beachlover
February 6th, 2010, 12:08
There's been a few threads and posts on this recently.

Nice to see it in the media. It seems the authorities only do something about this kind of scam when it gets publicised and they are embarrassed into action. Whenever it gets media attention... you always hear about the Phuket Governor, Wichai Praisa-ngob stepping in and seen taking decisive action.

He knows all about these rorts but will only step in when he absolutely has to.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/phuket-rip ... -ncy3.html (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/phuket-ripoff-the-trouble-with-tuktuks-20100203-ncy3.html)

-------------------------------------------------------

Sydney Morning Herald:

Phuket rip-off: the trouble with tuk-tuks
February 6, 2010

Seeing red ... tourists pay 10 times more for tuk-tuks in Phuket than in Bangkok.

Tourists in Phuket are being taken for a ride, writes Alan Morison.

Most of Phuket's tuk-tuks are red, which is the colour tourists are seeing when they encounter extortionate fares and sometimes gruff and thuggish behaviour by the drivers of these strange local taxis.

The quaint open-sided vehicles provide a ride that's about as comfortable as the back of a ute but visitors are charged a five-star luxury price for the privilege of being bounced all over the holiday island.

One Canadian tourist complained about the 150 baht ($5) fare for a one-minute journey and was punched in the face five times by a driver last month. A French tourist argued about a parking space on December 26 and had his arm broken.

The cost of a tuk-tuk from Phuket's airport to Patong, a journey of 40 kilometres, is 800 baht, about the same price as the bus fare to Bangkok, 852 kilometres away.

Phuket's tuk-tuk drivers snaffle the best parking spots along the island's popular beaches, charge more than 10 times what their Bangkok colleagues ask and the number of drivers is growing quickly.

While Phuket tuk-tuks have four wheels compared to the three-wheelers in Bangkok, that extra wheel hardly seems to justify prices that are on par with those charged for air-conditioned taxi services in the world's most popular cities.

Natdanai Chaowana, a prominent tuk-tuk owner in Patong, says: "In Patong, everybody knows that it's 200 baht just to start the engine of a tuk-tuk." When asked why the cost is so high, he adds: "'Look at the economy of Phuket. Everything is expensive here."

Patong's police chief, Colonel Grissak Songmoonnark, says there are too many tuk-tuks on Phuket. There are about 500 in Patong alone, he says, not including unregistered vehicles. "Two hundred tuk-tuks would be enough for the whole island," he says.

"Problems arise because of the rivalry between the tuk-tuk groups, which means they often cannot make pick-ups so return trips are usually made empty. It should be 150 baht to travel from Karon to Patong but because the driver has to return empty, he charges 300 baht."

Tourists and expat residents have used internet chat sites to call for a boycott, petitions and the introduction of a proper public transport system on Phuket.

Visitors to Phuket can hire cars or motorcycles or catch slow buses from Patong on the west coast to Phuket City on the east coast. Taxis from the airport, for example, can drop passengers in Patong, Karon and Kata but they cannot pick up passengers.

There are no buses linking the popular west-coast beaches, so tuk-tuks and motorcycle taxis have a monopoly along the west coast.

It is widely acknowledged that tuk-tuk drivers have supporters in local government, resulting in growing pressure for intervention by the Thai government. Even Phuket's powerful provincial governor, Wichai Praisa-ngob, who recently forced unscrupulous jet-ski operators to pay for compulsory insurance, seems unable to rein in the "the tuk-tuk mafia".

--------------------------------------------------------

More... http://www.smh.com.au/travel/phuket-rip ... -ncy3.html (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/phuket-ripoff-the-trouble-with-tuktuks-20100203-ncy3.html)

Beachlover
February 6th, 2010, 12:10
Interesting... the article says taxis (I assume it refers to Meter Taxis) can't pick up passengers at the main beach towns like Patong. They can only drop them off.

Is this true?

This would explain why it's easy enough to get a reasonably priced Meter Taxi from the airport but extremely difficult to get one from Patong Beach to go to back to the airport.

Smiles
February 6th, 2010, 12:36
" ... Interesting... the article says taxis (I assume it refers to Meter Taxis) can't pick up passengers at the main beach towns like Patong. They can only drop them off. Is this true? ... "
Partly true. You can't stand on a corner and wave down a meter taxi in Phuket. You or your hotel can arrange ~ by phone ~ for a meter taxi to the airport. As far as I recall, even though the taxi may say 'meter', the airport trips are a flat rate.
The bus terminal in Phuket Town has taxis waiting there for hire to Patong and other beach towns, just like at the airport.

But for just trying to catch some transport by sticking your thumb out on the street side you're pretty much relegated to the local bus routes, motorcycle taxis or Tuk Tuks.

Beachlover
February 6th, 2010, 12:55
Yeah... that's been my experience. What a pain. I wonder what the purpose for this rule is?.... Probably so the Mafia makes more money.

On my last few visits my approach to get back to the airport has been to grab a private hire car... usually someone standing about the street with a "taxi" sign or holding a laminated map... and pay no more than 500 or 550... which is only slightly more than what I pay to come from the airport. Certainly better than 700-900 charged by tuk tuks and tour agent touts.

February 6th, 2010, 13:43
Bang on. The mafia control the tuktuks in the same way the Pattaya mafia control the songtaews in Pattaya. Everyone is scared of them (who wants a bullet in the head?) and the governors so called decisive action up to now has just been words - as always. They'd need to bring the army in, and round up every mafia man on the island to impose any real changes, and that aint gonna happen.

firecat69
February 6th, 2010, 13:49
Just one of the many reasons Phuket will never get anymore of my money. They may have a baht bus mafia in Pattaya but the fare is 10 baht for what Phuket charges 300 baht. Ridiculous !!! No smiles compared to anywhere else in Thailand and a rip off culture.

Amazing how many suckers they keep finding!!!!

February 6th, 2010, 20:27
The tuk tuks are not only a huge downer because they are a rip off, but walking around Patong all you see is a huge throng of tuk tuk thug touts. They are a blight on the whole scene. Because they take up all the curb space in town no one can park. If they try to they are often vandalized or assaulted.

Beachlover
February 6th, 2010, 20:56
There's a baht bus mafia in Pattaya? What effect does that have? The rates look pretty reasonable.

February 6th, 2010, 20:57
There's a baht bus mafia in Pattaya? What effect does that have? The rates look pretty reasonable.

It's the Irish mafia that are running the operation.

:hello1: :hello1:

February 6th, 2010, 21:13
Re: Tuk Tuk price fixing rip off in Phuket
Author: scottish-guy ┬╗ Sat 6 Feb, 2010 9:57 am

Beachlover wrote:

It's the Irish mafia that are running the operation.

Scottie's just being his mischievous self...

The 'ten baht each way' mafia, if it's really there, is only able to confound farangs in that if you want to head up from the beach rd and go to Jomtien they have the uncanny ability to know it so you have to exit at the junction and board another bus to pay "gasp" another 10 baht. If you want to head toward Sukhumvit Rd they invariably head toward Jomtien...don't know how they tell.

It there was a more fitting metaphor for how Pattaya is so unlike Phuket in their ways, I can't think of one. Rip off in Pattaya? 20 baht. Rip off in Patong? 300 baht. And the sex sucks in Patong...it really, really sucks- and not in a good way.

February 6th, 2010, 21:16
......... And the sex sucks in Patong...it really, really sucks....

It takes two to tango Jack dear - maybe you're just CRAP at it.

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Beachlover
February 6th, 2010, 21:27
Best sex is in Bangkok... I've found, personally. Or maybe Chiang Mai... I haven't checked out CM yet. But CM boys are always really handsome.

February 6th, 2010, 21:35
Scottie, you may be right, but 'crap at it' isn't the best way to describe it.

Just based on my temperature take on the various places around LOS. BL is quite right about BKK and, though he doesn't know it, CM (he'll discover that soon enough when he visits it).

Smiles
February 7th, 2010, 10:14
" ... There's a baht bus mafia in Pattaya? What effect does that have? The rates look pretty reasonable ... "
Well duhhhh ...

Phuket and Pattaya are no different from any other city or town in Thailand (except that there's more money flowing through the system) in terms of all businesses paying 'under' to a third party . . . for 'protection' (from them :tard: ) or just pure extortion, which in turn, becomes just another regular business expense.
Third parties can be a local gang/mafia, the police, or the army, or the local city hall power bosses, or the local government bureaucracy. Often each of these may also be in cahoots ('symbiosis' says the Sociologist) with one or more of the others.

The policeman who stop (mostly Thais) on the highway for speeding-when-he's-not-speeding ~ just the easiest of a hundred violation-no-violations they could use ~ gets his 100 or 200 baht under the arm on the window, usually with a big smile. He pays a bit to the officer above him, and him to the one above him, or buys a few drinks after work or some other such sucking up.

In Hua Hin a high cop owns a bar just down the street which never has any customers, but things go on in back rooms. On Soi Bintabat (Lady Bar Central) a brand new pub ~ all decorated up exquisitely ~ was partly owned by a farang and the HH police in partnership (the farang put in most of the money). The place is now shut down ... the farang lost all his money and it's now fully owned by the police: it took a month for that to take place.

The Thai ladies play cards in a bar on our Soi during the 'off hours' between 11am and 2pm and the cops come in ~ in civvies ~ sit around with them laughing and joking and patting them on the bums while playing pool, all friendly: then they fine each one of them 500 baht for gambling (i.e. gambling-not-gambling). This happened 3 times in a month: "fucking polit" as the ladies say after they're gone ... but pay up girls, you have no option. Want to stay open?
The 500 baht stays in their pockets ... unticketed, unkown, except to their higher-ups who get a cut.

The beach concessionaires on the Hilton Hotel part of HH beach pay the police to protect their property at night. This means they can leave all their umbrellas stuck in the sand and their beach beds in place overnight, saving lots of set up work every morning. If they didn't pay, the cops avert their eyes to thieves, and I have no doubt may well be the thieves themselves if the thieves refused to pay them for turning their eyes.
My guy at one time a number of years ago before me moved here was very close to purchasing one of these Umbrella/Bed consessions. During negotiations he ~ being a Thai and knowing such things ~ asked (away from me and the crowd, in low tones) about the Mafia Issue, and how much it might cost him per month. He was told.
In the end he decided not to do this business, although not only because of the 'under' money ... there were other reasons.

All the taxi drivers and tour guides (including my guy) who ferry farang all over the place here ~ a large proportion of which is to and from Suvarnaphumi ~ automatically assume they will be stopped once (if not twice) per trip by the police in the notorious Petchburi Strip. So, thinking that way, the 'under' payment is built into the price of the trip.

And on and on and on and on. Examples galore ... on a daily basis, understood by Thais ("mai bpen rai"), farangs shocked and appalled and hugely gullible.

Beachlover
February 7th, 2010, 19:42
Christ... big gushing rivers of cash flowing to the BIB. All roads lead to the BIB.

I wonder if the tourist police volunteers get any cash... or other benefits... or maybe they're just doing it for the karma feel good factor.... or perhaps it's fun dealing with nut cases.

Beachlover
February 8th, 2010, 18:21
http://blogs.smh.com.au/travel/travelle ... ttoha.html (http://blogs.smh.com.au/travel/travellerscheck/2010/02/08/youvegottoha.html)

----
You've got to hand it to the tuk-tuk (taxi) operators on Phuket island in Thailand. They've taken a leaf out of the big-business book on how to operate a cartel: forget competition; if everyone agrees to jack up the fare to the same level, the punters will have no choice but to pay it and we'll all be making a nice living.

----