View Full Version : Tip for long time stay

February 4th, 2010, 15:35
Hello
on my next trip to Thailand I want to take a boyfriend with me for long time, that means 17 days, to travel around in Thailand (Koh Chang and maybe Chiang Mai).
What should be a reasonable tip for the boy for that all period of 17 days? 1500 baht a day, more or less? I have to pay the bar for offing, I guess that will be 300 baht/day.
Thanks for your advice.
Greets Hans

Smiles
February 4th, 2010, 16:16
A reasonable amount would be 1000 baht a day. You'd obviously be paying for hotel rooms, food, entertainment ... so that'd be 17000 clear in his pocket. Pretty good slightly more than 2 weeks.
There might be some negotiation with the boy on this of course, but I'd keep this amount in your mind.

For you that's a total cost of 1300 a day if you include 300 baht as off fee.
I assume the guy would include sex in that, though you should get that straightened out with him before you leave.

(Because your topic revolves exclusively around King Baht, others will certainly have different amounts in mind. Up to you.)

February 4th, 2010, 16:56
Personally, I pay the LT "going rate" for wherever I've met the boy + the daily off fee to his bar.

So for a BKK boy I'd be happy to pay 2000 a day, for a Pattaya boy 1500 a day + the off.

Since I'm paying the LT "going rate" every day, I naturally expect at least all the "delights" that a LT client would get.

Also, as Smiles suggests, there the hotel, food, drinks, entertainments to be paid and do not forget the inevitable "present" which can be anything from a pair of shoes to a mobile phone to a laptop.

Hope this helps.

:hello1: :hello1:

February 4th, 2010, 18:40
Hello
on my next trip to Thailand I want to take a boyfriend with me for long time, that means 17 days, to travel around in Thailand (Koh Chang and maybe Chiang Mai).
What should be a reasonable tip for the boy for that all period of 17 days? 1500 baht a day, more or less? I have to pay the bar for offing, I guess that will be 300 baht/day.
Thanks for your advice.
Greets Hans

There will be some here who dispute that the term "boyfriend" is appropriate for the the use of a bar boy as a tour guide.
It offends the sensibilities of those who are in "relationships". :love4: :crybaby: :boxing:

But on a more serious note, what will happen if you get tired of this one boy during the 17 day period?
Surely it's more sensible to off a boy for a day or two first, then extend the off period if you and he get on well together. It leaves you free to pick up someone else if your first choice was a mistake.

February 4th, 2010, 18:57
There will be some here who dispute that the term "boyfriend" is appropriate for the the use of a bar boy as a tour guide.
It offends the sensibilities of those who are in "relationships". :love4: :crybaby: :boxing:

It offends my sensibilities when I see sad, decrepit, liver-spotted, old ex-pat queens in ill-fitting hairpieces, and shirts set to explode open at any moment, crying into their gin and tonic about their LTR "boyfriend" who simply wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the fact that he is getting paid to perform and might gain a tidy sum when his one foot in the grave, coffin-dodging patron finally snuffs it.

Talk about self-delusion!

:laughing3: :laughing3:

Dodger
February 4th, 2010, 19:59
hans...

I agree with Smiles - 1,000 bt/day would be about right. I also think a cash tip at the end of the journey (17 days) of around 10,000 bt would be very much be appreciated and appropriate.

Patrick66 Wrote:

It offends the sensibilities of those who are in "relationships".

Pat, I know where you're coming from, although, think that those who exhibit these warped sensibilities should simply be ignored. Is "ignor" synonomous with"ignorant"?

I have a very old over-stuffed chair sitting in my music room at home that fits me like a glove. A real vintage model having survived countless wild parties in the seventies...has a few tears... a few blemishes...a few worn edges...with a hard-covered book holding up one corner where a leg is missing. Most would find this chair extremely uncomfortable and avoid sitting in it at all costs, but for me, it's the most comfortable seat in the house.

When I first met "HIM" I guess I just referred to him as my friend (who just happened to be a boy). As time went on and we started living together on a full-time basis during my adventures in Oz, I gravitated to referring to him as "my boyfriend". Now, after a few more years have passed and countless battles have been fought and survivded...and even a wedding took place...I find myself referring to him as my maniac boyfriend.

A bar boy...boy toy... prostitute...whore...would probably seem more approprite terms in the eyes of many, at least I think this would make them more comfortable, but to me he's simply A Person. A few worn edges and wobbly legs - but still the most comfortable seat in the house.

mai pen rai

cdnmatt
February 4th, 2010, 20:39
A few Thais have told me now that 500 baht/day is reasonable for a long-term thing, but not sure if I'd do that to someone. Like Smiles, I think 1000 baht/day is a good amount. He's walking away with a bare minimum of 17,000, and probably more, plus he doesn't have to goto work, gets to eat lots of good food, and so on. Don't think he'll be complaining too much.

Like others have said though, might want to think twice about picking up one boy, and asking him to stay with you the entire time. Maybe make Pattaya your "home base" during the travels, and just go on little 3 or 4 day trips here and there. If you like the one boy you took, take him again. Otherwise, grab a new one. There's lots to choose from. :-)

February 4th, 2010, 21:01
Seems like I'm FAR too generous....

.... in ALL ways

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

Diec
February 5th, 2010, 00:52
A few Thais have told me now that 500 baht/day is reasonable for a long-term thing, but not sure if I'd do that to someone. Like Smiles, I think 1000 baht/day is a good amount. He's walking away with a bare minimum of 17,000, and probably more, plus he doesn't have to goto work, gets to eat lots of good food, and so on. Don't think he'll be complaining too much.

So this is how much it costs to have a "boyfriend" these days?

Shuee
February 5th, 2010, 02:39
you can also try to negotiate a reduction with the bar as your offing the guy for so long
both with the boy & the bar, i wouldnt pay all of it up front as it may not last the whole 17days, or you may see another boy you like better hihihi