PDA

View Full Version : Taking a(n) hiatus from this inbred board.

Geezer
February 1st, 2010, 23:16
A large proportion of the posts are by a single individual. Wading through the nonsense in search of a worthwhile post has become an unrewarding chore.

When the problem is resolved by the moderator, by cancer or by some other agency I would like for a friend to inform me. Until then I shall read only posts in this thread, then suspend reading this formerly worthwhile forum until the problem is resolved.

I donтАЩt want to hear the word тАЬflounceтАЭ. When one finds oneтАЩs self in a sewer with the water rising and then decides it is best to wade out, it is not flouncing.

See you later ...

February 1st, 2010, 23:47
Hear hear. Enough is enough.

Some people may not like me, but at least I have only one nickname to ignore.

Enough game playing. Moderators?

Yes come on moderators, do something before the board degenerates any more through the unintelligent, selfish moron that does not need to be named.

February 1st, 2010, 23:51
I can see I'm not alone now.

This board has become a joke, a circus and a not very entertaining one at that.

Elephantspike, why don't you step forward and assume some control over your board before it goes to shit. Actually, that's too late for that, it's already become that, the clowns are running it.

I appreciate that we as members are afforded great latitude when it comes to submitting information and expressing our opinions. I think a few member's have taken that liberty beyond the reasonable and have used it to suit there own agenda's.

I used to rely on SGT for somewhat useful information. It's a far cry from that now. The posts on this board have degraded into multiple daily rants and raves about nonsense and vicious personal attacks that are totally unwarranted and unnecessary and that are neither inviting nor conducive to the free exchange of experiences, ideas and information.

I admit I have been getting frustrated lately and I have indulged myself more than a few times in a little bitch slap or two (or three), but that has become the norm for some.

Do you really expect people to donate ($$$$) to your board when you take this 'hands off' or 'laissez-faire' approach?

Can we do something about this behavior? Clearly define the boards purpose maybe? Set some boundaries regarding the content of posts? Define consequences for offenders? Recruit moderators?

It's time to clean up this mess and create a community for many rather than a few angry , bitter and bored souls.

bao-bao
February 2nd, 2010, 00:22
ThereтАЩs a lot of truth in what Geezer and soi_toi say above. IтАЩm not ready to walk away from SGT, but the temptationтАЩs been there more than a few times over the last few months. ItтАЩs become what you Englishmen would call a slagging match and a catch bucket for the spewings of earwig/LetMeLickYou/BottomsUp/LMTU/let me tell you and whoever it is posting in his style as bottomssunee4. If only his fingers would melt on his hands as often as the entrees he promotes тАЬmelt on his mouthтАЭ we might be afforded some peace.

ItтАЩs really taken the fun out of reading the forum.

I donтАЩt like the idea of merely banning members (as it doesnтАЩt do any good) and I donтАЩt relish the idea of censorship тАУ thatтАЩs already been discussed to death in reference to other boards, too тАУ but something needs to be done to reign in these wasters of bandwidth.

As my old Journalism professor used to say: тАЬJesus wept!тАЭ

PS тАУ Just putting people on тАЬignoreтАЭ still messes up a thread. I see LMTUтАЩs already lifted his leg on this one just above, too

catawampuscat
February 2nd, 2010, 01:13
good point geezer..
The same poster has been doing the same thing for years with dozens of handles..
Ususally, the moderators give him enough rope to hang himself.

The latest nonsense is way below the usual blatherings and perhaps the village idiot is
really losing it.. sad to see both physical and mental illness double the trouble..

btw geezer, you can try the foe feature and ignore but unfortunately with the same person
authoring threads and talking to himself, he is a forum killer and one the moderators have
dealt with many times before.. :tard:

Diec
February 2nd, 2010, 02:43
I must agree with the majority of posters on this thread, this board has become a joke. Not only does one poster (who I will not name) monopolize every thread, he also answers his own comments under a different name. I also believe this poster claimed to have an illness which I'm sure he never had, the time line just doesn't add up. This board would be much better off without this foolish, arrogant, and deceitful poster...I say ban him!

February 2nd, 2010, 02:49
[X] Thai inbreeding +
[X] Gay inbreeding =
[X] Sawatdee Gay Thailand

[X] Simply unique!

thrillbill
February 2nd, 2010, 03:52
What has slowly developed is that Sawatdee Forum has become a private "Chit chat" room for some of the retired regulars that live in Pattaya. It is for a very select audience...( you figure out the "type"...) At times, the forums are informative, enlightening, but you have to weed your way through them.

goji
February 2nd, 2010, 05:44
Yes come on moderators, do something before the board degenerates any more through the unintelligent, selfish moron that does not need to be named.

Several members fit this description.

Irish1972
February 2nd, 2010, 07:04
Have to say i am with the majority on this one too. I mean come on, it was funny at first but the last week or so have just been plain ridiculous.

Do something ES :protest:

Edit!
Oh I think something has been done!!!!! :hello1: :occasion9: :violent1:

But you forget about jenny!!!! bottomsunnee4 or some other crap

zinzone
February 2nd, 2010, 07:47
My opinion:

Previously this forum was often entertaining, informative and provocative. But does appear to be the case that one or more individuals who are constant posters have lowered this place to the level of boring and uninteresting etc and really something needs to be done about it.

Maybe someone should create a poll to vote for which poster(s) are responsible for the decline? :protest:

February 2nd, 2010, 08:08
I used to post under a different name and left because of the idiots. Having recently returned, I see that things have only got worse, and there are very few posts now of any interest, and I'm inclined to quit again. SGT has always been Pattaya biased and there's not much to be done about that, but allowing the continuous ravings of a lunatic or two is too much.

lonelywombat
February 2nd, 2010, 08:55
It appears that this thread has succeeded. I have been told by PM that LMTU posts have been removed.
Dont have time or interest in checking ATM

Patexpat
February 2nd, 2010, 08:58
Yup, I must concur with the majority view here.

Enough is enough and a certain individual needs bouncing for the benefit of the board.

Smiles
February 2nd, 2010, 09:09
It appears that LMTU's posts have disappeared from the Board. Now if his second handle (Bottomssunnee4) can also be deep-sixed, a calmer Board may emerge.

The LMTU Problem is that he always comes back . . . and is then given free reign to stay for a long enough time for just about the entire board to start complaining (again!).

If the Admin/Moderator feel a member is worth banning then common sense should say that the ban should also apply to that same member who simply starts posting again under a new handle. Why screw around and let him live here again simply because he changes posting names? He'll only start the same crap all over again . . . it's in the genes.

catawampuscat
February 2nd, 2010, 09:21
kudos to the moderators... :notworthy:

Geezer
February 2nd, 2010, 10:18
Eliminating posts attributed to LMTU alone achieves little.

Have other incarnations been eliminated as well?

February 2nd, 2010, 11:29

Elephantspike, why don't you step forward and assume some control over your board before it goes to shit. Actually, that's too late for that, it's already become that, the clowns are running it.

I appreciate that we as members are afforded great latitude when it comes to submitting information and expressing our opinions. I think a few member's have taken that liberty beyond the reasonable and have used it to suit there own agenda's.

I used to rely on SGT for somewhat useful information. It's a far cry from that now. The posts on this board have degraded into multiple daily rants and raves about nonsense and vicious personal attacks that are totally unwarranted and unnecessary and that are neither inviting nor conducive to the free exchange of experiences, ideas and information.

I admit I have been getting frustrated lately and I have indulged myself more than a few times in a little bitch slap or two (or three), but that has become the norm for some.

Do you really expect people to donate ($$$$) to your board when you take this 'hands off' or 'laissez-faire' approach?

Can we do something about this behavior? Clearly define the boards purpose maybe? Set some boundaries regarding the content of posts? Define consequences for offenders? Recruit moderators?

It's time to clean up this mess and create a community for many rather than a few angry , bitter and bored souls.

I totally agree with the comments.

I have only posted here on half a dozen times and when I suggest people are acting like children etc. I usually get a handfull of abusive or childish remarks back.
I get all my information from the good and helpful guys at gaytingtong.com
The best way to stop the rubbish I read on this forum ona daily basis is to ignore this site completely and use others....they might get the message through that people will no longer stand for the immature and ridiculous comments I continue to read on this forum.

Regards,
Steve in South Australia

February 2nd, 2010, 11:43

I totally agree with the comments.

I have only posted here on half a dozen times and when I suggest people are acting like children etc. I usually get a handfull of abusive or childish remarks back.
I get all my information from the good and helpful guys at gaytingtong.com
The best way to stop the rubbish I read on this forum ona daily basis is to ignore this site completely and use others....they might get the message through that people will no longer stand for the immature and ridiculous comments I continue to read on this forum.

Regards,
Steve in South Australia

I Couldn't agree more, I used to visit this forum almost on a daily basis, now I'm reduced to once or twice a month. I really got sick of the shit being written by certain members. Their comments failing on all counts to being humourous, interesting or entertaining.
I might have another look next month. Then again, maybe not.

TrongpaiExpat
February 2nd, 2010, 11:47
A guy goes to the doctor and says, doc, it hurts when I do this, doc says, then don't do that. If you find that this board is giving you some discomfort, then don't read and contribute. Find something else to do that gives you pleasure.

RIP Henny Youngman

http://www.funny2.com/henny.htm

andrewcraig
February 2nd, 2010, 14:44
A guy goes to the doctor and says, doc, it hurts when I do this, doc says, then don't do that. If you find that this board is giving you some discomfort, then don't read and contribute. Find something else to do that gives you pleasure.

RIP Henny Youngman

http://www.funny2.com/henny.htm

Maybe you should go to this gay thailand link

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/index ... entry33240 (http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5076-what-happened-to-hedda/page__p__33240__fromsearch__1&#entry33240)

Geezer
February 2nd, 2010, 15:30
A pox upon you Andrew Craig!

I clicked on the link you provided, and there was another post by LMTU in his guise as HeyGay. He has been chastened on that board, and his posts are a bit more circumspect although his language skills have been preserved.

Oh well -- thereтАЩs still Gay Ting Tong which is very well moderated.

February 2nd, 2010, 16:48

I clicked on the link you provided, and there was another post by LMTU in his guise as HeyGay. He has been chastened on that board, and his posts are a bit more circumspect although his language skills have been preserved.

He can post his gibberish anywhere he likes as long as it's not in SGT. Well done moderators sanity reigns, well until he sneeks back again under a new handle!

Geezer
February 2nd, 2010, 16:59
NOT so well done.

LMTU/bottomssunee4 afflicts the board yet. Any others?

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2010, 20:11

Christ... how many boards does this LMTU monkey post on?

What a decrepit loser...

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2010, 20:14
Heh... so LMTU has been removed. Well done folks.

Just imagine how depressed he'll be to see all the long, incoherent posts he slaved away at terminated in one swoop of a moderator.

I'm all for letting them come back if they're kept on a tighter leash (i.e. delete as soon as they go back to old habits)... but I see bottomsunee4 has just continued to make idiotic/disgusting posts.

February 2nd, 2010, 20:18
Heh... so LMTU has been removed. Well done folks.

Just imagine how depressed he'll be to see all the long, incoherent posts he slaved away at terminated in one swoop of a moderator.

I'm all for letting them come back if they're kept on a tighter leash (i.e. delete as soon as they go back to old habits)... but I see bottomsunee4 has just continued to make idiotic/disgusting posts.

Come on Spike can't we just get a rest from these disgusting posts? It's just too obvious who he is, no two people could make less use of English grammer as you know who!

catawampuscat
February 2nd, 2010, 20:50
alas, poor gaybutton has heyguy aka lmtu etal. to put up with.. it is the same story
at gaybutton's moderated blog, as at SGT, with heyguy being banned and reappearing and being banned and ....
well, any forum that idolized and pines for hedda is a good place for heyguy aka earwig,lmtu etal..

geezer, you won the battle, don't fret over the minor stuff, you THE MAN...... :headbang:

February 2nd, 2010, 21:02
this is also the reson why i only read certain posts on this forum. i continue to spend most of my time on forums that do moderate like http://www.gaytingtong.com and www.pattayapassion.com (http://www.pattayapassion.com). you can be sure this troll is absent from both of those forums. why not also do the exterminating here to?

February 3rd, 2010, 02:28
SGT has always been Pattaya biased and there's not much to be done about that.Most of us either live in Pattaya or spend our vacations here.

lonelywombat
February 3rd, 2010, 04:51
this is also the reson why i only read certain posts on this forum. i continue to spend most of my time on forums that do moderate like http://www.gaytingtong.com and http://www.pattayapassion.com. you can be sure this troll is absent from both of those forums. why not also do the exterminating here to?

Maybe you should read all the posts on the thread, before you launch another ad for your pattaya-passion.

February 3rd, 2010, 05:11
Isn't a(n) hiatus some kind of a(n) hernia?

Maybe a surgical appliance would be of benefit.

:hello1: :hello1:

RichLB
February 3rd, 2010, 09:01
I agree with much that has been said. I enjoy posting from time to time, but not just to vent. I like generating a dialogue/debate about issues important to me. But, like many, I rarely if ever do that here. It's easy enough to just skip the inputs of LMTU and his incarnations, but others seem to find it impossible to ignore his comments and threads quickly devolve into either rants that LMTU has spewed his drivvel or an exchange of one liners which are rarely amusing. The original post gets lost in the meantime. For me, then, it becomes pointless to say anything to which I want a conversation about.

Since it appears to be impossible to successfully jetison a user due to reinventing himself, I would suggest refusing to be baited by those inputs and just ignore them by staying on topec. Without the attention he apparently craves, I assume he would end up talking to himself on here and eventually just give up. Then, maybe, the board can return to one worth participating on.

cdnmatt
February 3rd, 2010, 09:05
Without the attention he apparently craves, I assume he would end up talking to himself on here and eventually just give up. Then, maybe, the board can return to one worth participating on.

Not sure about that. This is LTMU we're talking about. He seems absolutely thrilled when he talks to himself on the board, while he's sitting behind his computer in a gaze, all fucked up on drugs.

Geezer
February 3rd, 2010, 09:17
There is no point in banning an individualтАЩs posting as LMTU while permitting his posting as bottomssunee4 .

Fifteen minutes ago, before posting the above, I checked the тАЬmembersтАЭ list and bottomssunee4 was there. I have just checked again and cannot find him.

I hope it is because he was booted in the interim (or booted in the rectum) rather than my inadequacy in searching.

Beachlover
February 3rd, 2010, 10:00
Without the attention he apparently craves, I assume he would end up talking to himself on here and eventually just give up. Then, maybe, the board can return to one worth participating on.

Not sure about that. This is LTMU we're talking about. He seems absolutely thrilled when he talks to himself on the board, while he's sitting behind his computer in a gaze, all fucked up on drugs.

You mean you "assumED" he would end up talking to himself?... Because he already started doing that. I think he could start his own board and populate it with multiple personalities of his own. He could have a lively dinner conversation with himself at a table for one.

Don't know if it's funny or sad that this lowlife nobody transforms (in his mind) into some popular, hifalutin Pattaya personality who looks down on everyone when he's drugged up.

Smiles
February 3rd, 2010, 10:22
" ... Fifteen minutes ago, before posting the above, I checked the тАЬmembersтАЭ list and bottomssunee4 was there. I have just checked again and cannot find him.
I hope it is because he was booted in the interim (or booted in the ass) rather than my inadequacy in searching ... "
It looks as though the bottomssunee4 handle (i.e. LMTU's 2nd handle, set up to answer the first) has been deleted as well.

The Admin/Mods should delete his next handle (and the next, and the next, and the next, as he certainly will try to come back) immediately on recognizing the writing 'style' which LMTU (et al) has always used. He is apparently too stupid to try and change that.
They could also PM or email him when he tries again and make it very clear to him, in very blunt language (as he is quite thick) that he is no longer welcome on Sawatdee again. Ever.

The real problem for all Administrators of message boards is that all anyone needs to set up a new handle is a new email address. After that is successful, then it becomes a 'recognition' game for the Administrator ... who is already very busy. It's not the easy task you may think it is to keep a specific individual from re-appearing on a Board from which he's been banned. Especially for an Admin who 'bans' very infrequently, by choice and nature.

elephantspike
February 3rd, 2010, 10:32
Yeah, I got rid of the bottomsunnee handle, too. I haven't really been keeping-up on who is who lately. I've been busy trying to put back together the finer technical details of the board. I also wouldn't want to accidentally delete an innocent user just because he types like a retarded monkey.
:munky2:

I did have one nifty tool in phpbb2 that allowed me to make trolls so miserable with the click of a button that they usually gave-up. That was much more effective (and amusing) than simply banning them. That tool is still in the Alpha stage of development now for phpbb3, so I'll have to wing it for now.

February 3rd, 2010, 11:10
Wow, Spike, that was quick, gone in seconds LOL

elephantspike
February 3rd, 2010, 11:39
Yep. :gun:

February 3rd, 2010, 14:51
:notworthy:

February 3rd, 2010, 15:12

Spike you are a gem, hope that your job hunt is or went OK.

GWMinUS
February 4th, 2010, 00:29
Spike,

Why can you not use the Poster's IPAddress to control who can post??
Otherwise, maybe we need a Hit List in which users can add suspected abusers? Then you would not have to police the entire Forum.
:hello2:

February 4th, 2010, 03:33
Spike,

Otherwise, maybe we need a Hit List in which users can add suspected abusers? Then you would not have to police the entire Forum.

How about this:

Spike could set up a special sub-forum for newbies where they would be required to write and submit a 500 word essay to apply for admission. The essay could be about why they think they would make an outstanding SGT member and what special experiences and talent they would be bringing to the forum (knowledge of off fees and tips would be a good start). They would then be required to respond to questions from the designated moderators of this rather elite group. This sub-forum could be moderated by the more discerning and outstanding members (judgmental, opinionated, egotistical, outspoken and those who forgot to take their medication. Dementia=instant acceptance), who would then shred the new applicant to into bite size pieces (After all, SGT eat their young). Then they could have a go at each others throats in a twenty to thirty page thread. Members interested in moderating would be subjected to a rigorous application process (volunteer) that would undoubtedly attract SGT's finest.

It would be easy to identify writing styles unique to certain individuals, it would also give moderators a snippet of what this person is all about. i.e. attitude, sobriety, feeding and mating rituals.

... and I'm far from serious, but I'll be the first to volunteer.

lonelywombat
February 4th, 2010, 04:43
Spike,

Is the IP address the address for the PC they are posting from . If so do you know how many dozen of internet cafes are in Pattaya alone, and how many members might use the same cafe?

elephantspike
February 4th, 2010, 05:59
Banning ips won't prevent problem posters from returning, and it could end-up banning thousands of legitimate potential members.

andrewcraig
February 4th, 2010, 06:31
what happened to quote button

alf said
this is also the reson why i only read certain posts on this forum. i continue to spend most of my time on forums that do moderate like http://www.gaytingtong.com and www.pattayapassion.com (http://www.pattayapassion.com). you can be sure this troll is absent from both of those forums. why not also do the exterminating here to?

here is an interesting link to TingTong
http://www.gaytingtong.com/viewtopic.ph ... 344#p39344 (http://www.gaytingtong.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6382&p=39344#p39344)

Smiles
February 4th, 2010, 08:47
" ... This sub-forum could be moderated by the more discerning and outstanding members (judgmental, opinionated, egotistical, outspoken and those who forgot to take their medication. Dementia=instant acceptance), who would then shred the new applicant to into bite size pieces (After all, SGT eat their young) ... "
Excellent idea. Moderating such a Forum sounds right up my alley.
Somehow, by some arcane and subversive intuition, you've identified most of my personality traits perfectly. :headbang:

GWMinUS
February 4th, 2010, 23:57
OK, I assumed most of us read and post from our home computer.
So the IPAddress is available and will not change.
So the HitList is probably a better idea. And anyone adding a name there must be a Member with a verifible Log-in.
As to reviewing the HitList, that is not for me... SORRY
:lam:

elephantspike
February 5th, 2010, 00:30
Even people who post from home could have an ISP that uses dynamic IPs. Almost all the regular posters from Pattaya, for instance, share a small number of randomly rotating ips.

February 5th, 2010, 02:34
Almost all the regular posters from Pattaya, for instance, share a small number of randomly rotating ips.That's one explanation. Another is that there are only a handful of people in Pattaya who post on this Board but they use multiple posting handles?

Diec
February 5th, 2010, 03:18
Almost all the regular posters from Pattaya, for instance, share a small number of randomly rotating ips.That's one explanation. Another is that there are only a handful of people in Pattaya who post on this Board but they use multiple posting handles?

What's your point Copper? You sound stupid.

goji
February 5th, 2010, 03:19
Spike could set up a special sub-forum for newbies where they would be required to write and submit a 500 word essay to apply for admission. The essay could be about why they think they would make an outstanding SGT member and what special experiences and talent they would be bringing to the forum (knowledge of off fees and tips would be a good start).

Would be much easier to ban anyone who is being rude or persistently using bad language.

giggsy
February 5th, 2010, 03:30
Spike,

How about this:

Spike could set up a special sub-forum for newbies where they would be required to write and submit a 500 word essay to apply for admission. The essay could be about why they think they would make an outstanding SGT member and what special experiences and talent they would be bringing to the forum (knowledge of off fees and tips would be a good start). They would then be required to respond to questions from the designated moderators of this rather elite group. This sub-forum could be moderated by the more discerning and outstanding members (judgmental, opinionated, egotistical, outspoken and those who forgot to take their medication. Dementia=instant acceptance), who would then shred the new applicant to into bite size pieces (After all, SGT eat their young). Then they could have a go at each others throats in a twenty to thirty page thread. Members interested in moderating would be subjected to a rigorous application process (volunteer) that would undoubtedly attract SGT's finest.

It would be easy to identify writing styles unique to certain individuals, it would also give moderators a snippet of what this person is all about. i.e. attitude, sobriety, feeding and mating rituals.

... and I'm far from serious, but I'll be the first to volunteer.
HaHaHa
Your a nobody on this forum until you get the better of Smiles on at least 6 seperate occasions......Bring back the Karma points.Every time you get one over on smiles you get a point... :nike:

February 5th, 2010, 03:34
Even people who post from home could have an ISP that uses dynamic IPs. Almost all the regular posters from Pattaya, for instance, share a small number of randomly rotating ips.

I notice on some forums, administrators have the option to enable a function that holds the post from new members until it can be reviewed. Once a poster has established himself, he can then be taken off the watch list. Does this forum software have an option such as this?

I can see a few benefits and a few downsides. Downsides: Spike might have to take some time to scan a few posts every day, but he could recruit some of his long time willing moderators to do that. Some posts might take hours to appear until they're cleared. Upsides: If the forum software has that option, members who make it past the screening period then who decide to act up again can always be put back on the watch list.

Just a suggestion... again if possible.

Brad the Impala
February 5th, 2010, 04:02
but he could recruit some of his long time willing moderators to do that.

That legions' name is jinks(singular)!

Surfcrest
February 5th, 2010, 09:27

Or that there is someone living in Bangkok but claiming to live in Pattaya and posting on this board using multiple posting handles.

You've been very quiet as of late Colonel! You must be getting more english teaching assignments than sanook these days.

February 5th, 2010, 11:12
I'm sure glad Geezer started this thread. I've pretty much felt the same way for about 4 months now. There are dozens of interesting posters on this board but only 3 or 4 (and their multiple handles) who spoil it for everyone. They want to play the Class Clown who sits at the back of the class making snotty comments and fart noises and throwing spitballs at everyone just for their own amusement at being disruptive. :thebirdman: :occasion9: :evil4: :tongue3: :headbang:

Here's hoping that the Mods will be a little more attentive and shut these jerks down. They contribute nothing to the board except disruption and a general tone of incivility.

TrongpaiExpat
February 5th, 2010, 11:13
More or multiple moderators is not the solution. Too many cooks spoil the broth. Alerting the moderators when LMTU emerges with a new name would help. If a new poster with lets say poor spelling, written aphasia and a bloated ego just happens to register and gets accidentally banned than I am sure he would understand that we have a problem with one poster that does not want to accept the fact that no one wants his posts.

February 5th, 2010, 12:06
What's your point Copper? You sound stupid.As a graduate of Cardiff Polytechnic and a former policeman sadly that is my my lot in life.

February 5th, 2010, 14:46
Here's hoping that the Mods will be a little more attentive and shut these jerks down. They contribute nothing to the board except disruption and a general tone of incivility.

Are you sure about that? Are you really sure? Just follow the chain......More postings........More clicks........More revenue........

February 6th, 2010, 03:05
Here's hoping that the Mods will be a little more attentive and shut these jerks down. They contribute nothing to the board except disruption and a general tone of incivility.Are you sure about that? Are you really sure? Just follow the chain......More postings........More clicks........More revenue........Precisely. But most posters here have no idea about running a business, on or off line.

February 9th, 2010, 02:12
I took a break of a few weeks and my impression on coming back is that it's the same old Amazing circus. Fewer people are posting because I guess fewer of us are visiting Thailand because we don't have the money or sometimes even a job these days. Finding out or getting involved in a thread about what some mamasan or other is doing in a bar that may not even be open any more when I get back whenever that is doesn't really float my boat these days.

February 9th, 2010, 02:42
Finding out or getting involved in a thread about what some mamasan or other is doing in a bar that may not even be open any more when I get back whenever that is doesn't really float my boat these days.

This problem can be fixed very easily: Just come up with topics that are of interest to you!

Smiles
February 9th, 2010, 09:45
" ... Fewer people are posting ... "
I don't know. It seems like there is just as many different members posting as there ever has been.
The 'quality' of the subjects as well as the individual posts is highly subjective and difficult to gauge: you could easily go to any of the gay Thailand boards and find ~ like here ~ a mishmash of quality, dullness, energy, stultifying stupidity, thought-provoking analysis, new and old interesting information, a high degree of Thailand 'knowledge' available, inaccurate information, and, last but not least, the odd troll.

Sawatdee still has, by a long shot:

the largest readership [/*:m:12i63huk]
the largest number of topics[/*:m:12i63huk]
the most 'Replies' to any given thread[/*:m:12i63huk]
the most 'Views' to any given thread (though 'TingTong' is very highly-viewed as well)[/*:m:12i63huk]
the least inbred membership (see 'Pattaya Passion' for true ~ possibly illegal ~ inbreeding)[/*:m:12i63huk]
the least number of posts by Admin/Moderators (see 'Gaytingtong', 'Pattaya Passion', and 'Gaythailand' for that)[/*:m:12i63huk]
the least over-bearing moderation ... which, granted, sometimes has it's downsides. But Sawatdee is a very free and open place in the Best of Times. 'Baht Stop' also has good (i.e. silent except in need) easy-going moderation. 'Gaythailand and Pattaya Passion' are atrocious.[/*:m:12i63huk]
the least number of threads with 'Thailand-is-Pathetic. It-Should-be-More-Like-'Us', and here, See-me-Copy&Paste' as the general theme (see 'Baht Stop' for that)[/*:m:12i63huk]

A goodly number of the above items ~ to me ~ points to a very well-enjoyed, vibrant, funny, annoying, habit-forming Message Board. :headbang: :violent1:
It's up and downs in terms of 'quality' and 'trolls' go through the same general wave motion which controls the entire universe.

Surfcrest
February 9th, 2010, 10:26
Very nice post Smiles :sunny:
That was right on the mark!

February 9th, 2010, 16:09
Contrary to the usual and quite understandable self-serving comments made by the ex-owner and moderator above, I don't think there's much doubt that the numbers and quality of posts on this forum have been going downhill for some time. The speed of decline really accelerated when the forum's best poster, the Colonel (Homi) passed on, or stopped serial posting ,whichever came first. I started to drift away after that, and when LMTU came to dinner and started sleeping in the Thailand forum, I took an aspirin and passed.

As for entertainment or thought-provoking analysis, this forum has got to be close to the bottom of the list right now, with more than its share of virtual East Enders who know little about Thailand but lots about insults. Just how many of these guys are using multiple names to talk to themselves is something only the insiders know. I don't really care, as long as they're entertaining, as was the Colonel. The problem is that they're dull and childish, no matter what names they're using, and insist on smearing their finger paint in every thread.

In case you guessed it, this is also not my only handle here. Since I've seen most of this gang at work before, I'm not about to ruin a respectably aged SF handle with a bout of serious jousting, which is sure to come now. :bee:

Bob
February 9th, 2010, 16:32
In case you guessed it, this is also not my only handle here. Since I've seen most of this gang at work before, I'm not about to ruin a respectably aged SF handle with a bout of serious jousting, which is sure to come now. :bee:

If you somehow think you're "usual" handle is a bit more respectable, why not have the balls to use it? Oh, I see, you wouldn't want to ruin your image held by the posters here by making an honest statement of your opinion. Yea, that makes sense (not).

I happen to share your general assessment regarding the general direction of the board over the years (although there have been brief periods of mild lucidity) but I'm not too worried about ruining my handle here (which is my handle everywhere and my first real name) as, Scarlet, I frankly don't give a damn.

Dodger
February 9th, 2010, 18:16
More SEX TALK and less jibber-jabber, that's what I say.

Geezer...good thread.

February 9th, 2010, 18:32
More SEX TALK......that's what I say.

You know the old saying: There are those who TALK and those who DO!

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

Beachlover
February 9th, 2010, 19:41
I don't think the board is going downhill. I think it's more about evolving and going through waves. Everything fluctuates. Lately there's more activity than ever.

Like Smiles said... it's still the leading the board.

I don't miss homintern so much... But surprisingly... do kind of miss Beach Bunny/Dickhead's posts... sure he's blunt but he's always honest, doesn't beat about the bush and adds some nice flavour and reliable knowledge to the board. Hope he didn't have a stress induced bypass or something...

catawampuscat
February 9th, 2010, 23:09
I also concur with Smiles..
Except for current events, almost every other possible topic has been raised and re-raised
over the years..
The archives and older postings are a treasure trove of information, opinions, and queer
thought.. well worth going thru if one is new to Thailand and wants some history of the
last few years..

I also find gaytingtong a strong contender and enjoy the tone and the lack of drunks :alc:
and asocial misfits dominating threads and maligning fellow posters..
Things have improved here but slippage is ineviatable unlike at GTT..
I do glance at gaybutton's blog/forum on occassion and he is certainly not a wall flower
or shy about opining..
I am grateful to Spike for SGT and to jinks for putting up with it all and hanging in there.. Now, I will wipe the brown off my nose..

Smiles
February 10th, 2010, 09:06
" ... but (Dickhead's) always honest ... "
Whoaaa Nelly ... that's going a bit too far. Give your head a shake.

February 10th, 2010, 14:09
once again smiles takes the low road by slamming other boards to build his own overblown ego. no doubt sgt is a great board, it has been around a long time and does have a large readership. but that doesnt make it the best or the 'best for everyone.' variety is good and so is choice. just like in go go bars and types of boys, we all have our own preference. while smiles continually puts down pattaya passion, there are those of us who prefer what it offers.

different strokes and all that... www.pattayapassion.com (http://www.pattayapassion.com) try it out! :hello2:

lonelywombat
February 10th, 2010, 14:30
once again smiles takes the low road by slamming other boards to build his own overblown ego. no doubt sgt is a great board, it has been around a long time and does have a large readership. but that doesnt make it the best or the 'best for everyone.' variety is good and so is choice. just like in go go bars and types of boys, we all have our own preference. while smiles continually puts down pattaya passion, there are those of us who prefer what it offers.

different strokes and all that... http://www.pattayapassion.com try it out! :hello2:

Hi Alf will you gurantee that if I join and post to pattaya passion and include a link back to sawatdee like you do to PP, I will not get banned.

February 10th, 2010, 14:32
while smiles continually puts down pattaya passion, there are those of us who prefer what it offers.Who would they be? I've never bothered with any other Board since I stumbled across this one and signed up. There must be some people with lots of time on their hands if they can be bothered reading and contributing to more than one Board.

Beachlover
February 10th, 2010, 18:37
" ... but (Dickhead's) always honest ... "
Whoaaa Nelly ... that's going a bit too far. Give your head a shake.

Well there's never been any reason to doubt him right?... I can't think of any instance he has lied. No reason to either. Same with you.

Beachlover
February 10th, 2010, 18:47

different strokes and all that... http://www.pattayapassion.com try it out! :hello2:

He never made an absolute statement it was the best. Simply stated his own opinion. And listed a series of FACTS (one or two of them being slightly subjective... like moderation).

Nothing wrong with that.

I had a quick look at PP... seems there's some decent activity there... but I found it really gerrish and the posting tone sounds a bit too dainty and hen clucky for me. Different folks I guess.

Brad the Impala
February 11th, 2010, 05:08
the posting tone sounds a bit too dainty and hen clucky for me.

Lovely description

Smiles
February 11th, 2010, 09:44
" ... once again smiles takes the low road by slamming other boards to build his own overblown ego ... "
Alphonse my man: You may have missed it in your visceral need to defend the Passion's Girls Club (and plug/link here, where plugs/links there about here are disallowed) . . . but the above post of mine in question also: (1) mentions all the other Boards as well (in the positive as well as the negative), and (2) makes no mention of 'best' of anything, much less message boards, and (3) was written in a thread regarding a poster criticizing Sawatdee of late.
I appreciate Geezer's reasons (as I have always appreciated Geezer), and in fact am in agreement with some of the points in his critique. But thought I would add a partially mitigating post, not for ego, but for another perspective.

If you cannot handle that Alfie, then you must run away run away to Pattaya Passion where nary a naughty word is written on anything anything: 'prissy' knows no finer field (and starts with a 'P' for good measure).
Noted on PP a thread entitled 'What was your last Thailand "WHAT THE FUCK MOMENT"?' wherein a Passion Player takes issue with the word 'FUCK' actually raising it's head (no sexual innuendo intended) ... it being in this passionista's prudish opinion that such a profanity lowers the moral standards for which the Board is renowned. That member (z909) posts here on occasion (732 posts), though I'd have to search whether any 'fucks' have passed his typing finger. I'll let you know.

More ego (mine apparently): The Passion Play features now a thread entitled 'The Anti Sawatdee Gay Thailand Thread'.
Breathless in it's exuberant self-congratulation, charming in it's quaintness, Alf gets hosannas and hi-5's all around for doing dirty-but-necessary duty on Sawatdee. :blackeye: : << http://www.pattayapassion.com/pattaya-p ... nd-thread/ (http://www.pattayapassion.com/pattaya-passions/the-anti-sawatdee-gay-thailand-thread/) >>

Beachlover
February 11th, 2010, 18:08
Heh... kind of like missionaries doing dirty but necessary duty marching into Soi Twilight. Can someone film this next time it happens?