PDA

View Full Version : AEON ATM Bangkok

TrongpaiExpat
February 1st, 2010, 16:58
For reason(s) unknown to me the AEON ATM at the corner of Rama 4 and Ngamduphii, near the Pinnacle had been removed. The link below lists 96 other locations for Bangkok and you can also search other areas. It shows one in the Siam Center 2nd floor, Central Silom but last time I looked, not very hard, I did not notice exactly where it was.

http://www.aeon.co.th/lang/en/menu/Service_Location

February 1st, 2010, 17:34
Whats the special deal with AEON machines?

TrongpaiExpat
February 1st, 2010, 18:21
They are the only bank that dont charge 150 baht, if you hey out money from the UK on a debit card.

Not just UK, any forien bank.

February 1st, 2010, 22:02
They are the only bank that dont charge 150 baht, if you take out money from any overseas bank on a debit card in Thailand.

And just think how much more FOOD you could buy over a year with all those 150B savings. An extra couple of cows for breakfast maybe.

:laughing3:

krobbie
February 2nd, 2010, 00:42
Tbanks for that Trongpai. It is not the 150baht that irks but the entire "clipping the ticket on the way through" that gets up my nose. I will try AEON myself next time I am in LOS.

Cheers and chok dee

bao-bao
February 2nd, 2010, 00:54
Yes, thank you TrongpaiExpat - with a little extra effort I'll save some money next visit. I appreciate the helpful information.

February 2nd, 2010, 03:26
If AON doesn't charge you 150 baht maybe some of us
can make a list of AON ATM's in Bangkok and Pattaya :bounce:

HawaiiBoy
February 2nd, 2010, 03:37
Pattaya: Look for the pink ATM. I have only spotted one in the new Central Shopping Center (between Beach and 2nd Road). 4th Floor at the 2nd Road end.

February 2nd, 2010, 08:05
They are blue in color and there is one a Carrefour. Unforturnately they do charge 100 baht; they just don't show it on their ATM reciept. I went online to check my Credit Union account in the US and they do charge. One charge was for $3.03 US the other for $3.05 US reflecting the change in exchange rates from day to day.

February 2nd, 2010, 08:12
AEON isn't a bank but a credit company aimed at lower income groups. If you're in LOS frequently why not open a local bank account with a local ATM. You can deposit your money by cash or transfer, and use any ATM you like, rather than searching out the few AEON machines.

February 2nd, 2010, 08:32
I have been using AEON ATMs ever since the other ATMs started charging a fee - never been charged any fee by them - it gives me 20 x 1000B notes, the ATM receipt shows 20,000B withdrawal, and the bank statement in Australia shows 20,000B withdrawal: Visa Cash Advance 30Jan Thb20000.00 Aeon Credit Sy/Carre. Unfortunately my AU bank hist me with a few fees.

As for opening a local bank account and transferring money over here and getting no interest, I think I am better to leave the cash in a high? interest account in AU and withdraw it in small bits as I need it.

blazer
February 2nd, 2010, 09:59
For those of you that have a Fidelity check card, all ATM fees are reimbursed. Mine is attached to my brokerage account, but you can open a separate account with no minimum balance.

http://personal.fidelity.com/accounts/a ... shtml.cvsr (http://personal.fidelity.com/accounts/aong/sca_learn.shtml.cvsr)

Use any ATM in Thailand, the 150 baht fee is refunded to your account the same day.

TrongpaiExpat
February 2nd, 2010, 11:09
If AON doesn't charge you 150 baht maybe some of us
can make a list of AON ATM's in Bangkok and Pattaya :bounce:

If you click on the link on my original post the AEON web site has them all listed for all of Thailand. The list can be a bit general, such as Future Park, Bangkae. If you have ever been to Future park, you can get lost it's so large. So, anyone spotting these AEON ATM's and giving more specific directions would be useful. I am still looking for the one at "Silom Central" --I assume that's the Silom Complex?

Yes, I am and I am sure that most expats know about opening a Thai bank account, with easy transfer, no fees and all that stuff but I don't know any residents that keep all their money in Thailand and as said before why would you? Also, yes many forien banks reimburse for ATM fees, conditions and amounts vary from bank to bank and country to country. Shopping around and having multiple accounts can pay off but might get confusing for those with a Jed Clampet mentality.

I found that when I use AEON in Thailand for one of my US banks, I notice a 2 USdollars ATM refund, yet the AEON slip shows no fee. If I use it on one of the other ATM's I also get a $2 refund but the 150B is not reimbursed.

I noticed workmen taking the AEON ATM out at Nhamdupree, spelled as Ngampee and then as Ngamdooplee as number 5 on the web list a few days ago. I was hoping that they were just replacing it but a few days latter I walked by and it's gone and does not look like a repair job.

ChrisUK
February 2nd, 2010, 15:11
For what it's worth, I successfully withdrew 15,000Bt from the branch of Ayudhya's ATM near Friendship Supermarket in South Pattaya Road today and was not charged any fee by that bank. I used a Nationwide Visa Debit card from the UK.

I have stopped looking for Aeon ATMs as a friend had bad experiences of the one in South Pattaya recording the request, but not delivering the money. Apart from that, none of their other ATMs are close enough for me to bother with.

February 2nd, 2010, 16:06
If the AEON ATM in that area is MIA, try one of the HSBC ATMs (the only ones in Thailand AFAIK) in their building on Rama IV halfway between Sathorn and Silom roads - last I was in Thailand at the end of August it didn't charge me any fee.

maisoui
February 2nd, 2010, 17:03
If the AEON ATM in that area is MIA, try one of the HSBC ATMs (the only ones in Thailand AFAIK) in their building on Rama IV halfway between Sathorn and Silom roads - last I was in Thailand at the end of August it didn't charge me any fee.

That's new then. Last time I used that service (a long time ago) I was charged about ┬г10.00. Their local manager's residence is on Soi Nandha, opposite Babylon. Should I call in and ask for a refund.

TrongpaiExpat
February 2nd, 2010, 17:46
Answering my own question, Silom Central is not the Silom Complex, near BTS. It's further down near the Hindu temple.

I went looking for the one listed at the Siam Center off BTS Siam, second floor and was told by the information counter in Siam Center that AEON removed it last week and if anyone asks direct them to Floor B of Paragon. To find it, go to the ground floor level food court and look for Mos Burger, take the escalator there down one level and there's a small area with a bank of ATM's and there's a new AEON ATM/CDM there. Not any of the other escalators going down to floor B, the B areas they are not connected, you have to take this one, opposite Moss Burger.

It's funny, AEON has add posters plastered all over MRT Silom and has adds in all the papers but their ATM's are in hard to see and find locations. I wonder if getting prime ATM spots has some politics involved?

DJB0Y-old
February 8th, 2010, 20:05
I've stopped going to AEON because I personally had a very bad experience. I went to withdraw and the machine said "Bank Error" and didn't give any money. So I used another US bank's ATM card and I got the same problem. So I tried a third time putting in a lower amount, thinking that maybe I was withdrawing over the ATM machine's limit. Still no money.

A couple days later I checked my accounts on-line and found out that my US banks deducted all three withdrawals which totalled over $1,200 - yet I had no money at all.

I went back to the AEON ATM machine and found a number to call. After being transferred around many times, I finally got to someone who checked my ATM card numbers and told me that the machine had "timed out" and that it didn't dispense cash.

She told me I should take up the issue with my banks in the U.S. E-trade told me that they would start an investigation after I sent in some forms, after which they would credit my account for the funds while they investigated. Capital One told gave me a similar explanation.

I eventually got all my money back. After about 10 weeks now, nobody has come after me so I guess everything worked out okay.

But it was extremely stressful. Now I just use my E-trade ATM card at big bank ATMs and get refunded the 150 baht.

I'm staying away from AEON now. I've been burned and don't want to risk it any more with these machines.

Anyone else had this experience??

TrongpaiExpat
February 8th, 2010, 21:07
But it was extremely stressful. Now I just use my E-trade ATM card at big bank ATMs and get refunded the 150 baht.

I'm staying away from AEON now. I've been burned and don't want to risk it any more with these machines.

No problems with any AEON ATM's in well over 50 transactions. Once, at an Ayuthaya bank ATM it would not return my forien ATM card. I called the bank and they would not send anyone out and told me to take it up with my US Bank and get a new card from them. I would not blame the bank, if there's a problem it's with the machine, that can happen to any ATM but overall they're pretty reliable all over now.

ceejay
February 9th, 2010, 05:47
Once, at an Ayuthaya bank ATM it would not return my forien ATM card. I called the bank and they would not send anyone out and told me to take it up with my US Bank and get a new card from them.
That's fairly standard practice I think. In the UK, in my (one) experience, if a machine swallows your card, it will only be returned by returning it by post to the account address (not much use if you are abroad!) or by issuing a new one. It's done that way for security reasons.

mahjongguy
November 1st, 2010, 12:57
In none of these posts about tracking down an AEON ATM in order to save 150 baht was there any mention of the provided exchange rate. It would be great for them to offer no-fee service then ream you on the conversion.

I don't have experience with AEON but back when I was only a visitor I did some comparisons and found a wide variance in ATM exchange rates (all of them of course much worse than wire transfer rates).

November 8th, 2010, 00:53
yes, I was thinking of the exchange rate while reading about using AEON ATM in the case of fee free. Any one using AEON ATM with overseas card, please tell us what exchange rate AEON charges each time when withdrawing money.

orson
November 10th, 2010, 06:28
Anyone tried to use the standard chartered atm in silom? does it levy additional charges?

travelerjim
November 10th, 2010, 08:05
yes, I was thinking of the exchange rate while reading about using AEON ATM in the case of fee free. Any one using AEON ATM with overseas card, please tell us what exchange rate AEON charges each time when withdrawing money.

FYI...here are 3 ATM withdrawals using AEON...

I use AEON...In Pattaya there are 2 ATM's...Carrefour - Central Pattaya
& Home Works - BigC South Pattaya.

I do NOT pay the 150 THB fee...it is NOT charged by AEON.
Here are 3 withdrawals...my US bank has $500.00 ATM limit each day
& charges me 1% fee to use ATM's here in Thailand.
A separate charge appears on my bank statement for that 1% fee.
The time of ATM use shown is my US home bank time..not Thailand time.

14,000 Thai Baht
11/02/2010 ATM WITHDRAWAL CASH WITHDRAWAL TERMINAL 409062 HOME WORK PATTAYA BANGKOK 11-02-10 6:37 AM $469.15

14,000 Thai Baht
10/20/2010 ATM WITHDRAWAL CASH WITHDRAWAL TERMINAL 409062 HOME WORK PATTAYA BANGKOK 10-20-10 6:48 AM $469.79

3,000 Thai Baht
10/28/2010 ATM WITHDRAWAL CASH WITHDRAWAL TERMINAL 409062 CARREFOUR PATTAYA (S9000BANGKOK 10-28-10 6:17 AM $100.30

I think I have gotten a fair exchange rate using AEON.

tj

mahjongguy
November 10th, 2010, 15:02
TJ,

Using Kbank's currency tables for those dates, I concur that you got exchange rates that are very close to the (final) wire transfer rate for that day. Minus, of course, the 1% conversion fee charged you by your home bank.

That is in fact a good deal, not only because of the reasonable exchange rate and the fee waiver by AEON, but also because you were not charged a non-homebank-ATM flat fee by your home bank. Most likely this last point is due to the fact that you have some sort of premium account with them (e. g. Wells Fargo Portfolio).

So, for those who choose to live off their foreign ATM card, AEON seems worth the hike to those ATM locations, especially if you are likewise getting a flat fee waiver at the originating end.

Still, I remain convinced that expats and long-term visitors are better off keeping a good chunk of cash in a Thai bank. Not your life savings, of course, but enough to get you admitted to a decent hospital when there's no time to waste. To me that means an absolute minimum of 300,000 baht.

travelerjim
November 10th, 2010, 15:26
Thanks for computing the exchange rate I received. It looked good for me.
I have a simple 50+ Checking account with ATM card from my local US bank -
NO special account. Just available to 50+ ages...and a small monthly fee of $5.00.

I have a free checking account linked to it also which has an ATM card for it too.
That second account is for my Thai bf. He uses it to withdraw Thai baht from an ATM.

There is a $1.00 + 1% withdrawal fee per transaction for his ATM card. I use the internet
to transfer $$$ from my main checking account to his account with the ATM card.

Also, I have a Capital One Bank Money Market Savings Account which has a ATM card.
I can withdraw using the ATM card worldwide and NO fee charged by Capital One Bank.
AND>>>NO international 3% fee for use of the Capital One debit card, which is a money saver. That means NO fees to use their ATM card and NO 3% fee on purchases made outside USA.

I have the Capital One Bank account linked to both my local US bank account for easy bank transfers between banks NO fee. Also I have linked my CitiBank USA Money Market and Checking account, which allows me to transfer funds between my local US bank to Capital One to Bangkok Bank New York City - for deposit into my Bangkok Bank Pattaya savings account in one day.

The internet has made banking so easy - worldwide.

tj

Richsilver
November 10th, 2010, 16:18
Nobody has mentioned Charles Schwab.

*Totally free checking, no minimum balance. Competitive interest rates.
*Free ATM debit card with all foreign fees (150 baht) reimbursed monthly.
*$1,000 daily withdrawal limit.
*No 1% foreign exchange fee.
*Official exchange rate.
*Easy on-line transfer in and out of other US financial institutions.

This is a very easy solution to transfer money to Thailand with no fees whatsoever.

mahjongguy
November 10th, 2010, 16:38
Nobody has mentioned Charles Schwab.

*Official exchange rate.

Charles Schwab sounds great. Definitely worth looking into, though I wonder what is the "Official exchange rate"? I'm not aware of such. Each Thai bank sets its own rates for notes, wire transfer, etc. based on data provided several times a day by the BOT.

I hope they don't mean something punitive like the American Express or Western Union rates.

thrillbill
November 10th, 2010, 20:55
AEON isn't a bank but a credit company aimed at lower income groups. If you're in LOS frequently why not open a local bank account with a local ATM. You can deposit your money by cash or transfer, and use any ATM you like, rather than searching out the few AEON machines.
In North America, if you take money out at the ATM machine that is YOUR BANK there is no charge; however, if you go to an ATM machine that is not representing your bank, you get charged...$2.00 or more..or less. Here in Thailand you the only way you can NOT BE charged a service charge fee (35 baht) is by going to the main bank where you signed up for the acct. Well, that is how the infamous UOB does it.

mahjongguy
November 11th, 2010, 05:24
Here in Thailand you the only way you can NOT BE charged a service charge fee (35 baht) is by going to the main bank where you signed up for the acct.

Not quite. You can get free withdrawals from any ATM of that bank in that banking region. Out-of-region fees (e.g. Bangkok vs. Pattaya) vary from 10 to 25 baht.

pong
November 12th, 2010, 16:51
even this varies per bank-it used to be out of the PROVINCE=Chaing wat (but even BKK_bigtown covers various provinces), but many banks are now scrapping this. But instead they only let you have a small nr of free withdrawals per month-and you get hit when you use more. But it may even vary per type of accunt in 1 bank.

francois
November 17th, 2010, 22:25
I've stopped going to AEON because I personally had a very bad experience. I went to withdraw and the machine said "Bank Error" and didn't give any money.

Yes! My Thai bf experienced the same (almost) using an AEON ATM at Carrefour in Pattaya. He did not receive any money but his account was debited. However the ATM seemed to recognize its mistake and re-credited his account in full. Shortly after he was able to withdraw the funds from a Bangkok Bank ATM and received the same exchange rate although he was charged the 150 TB fee. I would not chance losing my ATM card in an AEON ATM.

travelerjim
November 18th, 2010, 07:06
The AEON ATM machine at Carrefour Central Pattaya is a NEW machine.
I think they saw the old machine needed to be replaced.
Let's hope that fixes the prior problem with that location.
tj

francois
November 18th, 2010, 08:19
tj

How new is new? The bf had the problem with this machine two days ago (11-15-2010).

giggsy
November 18th, 2010, 08:52
If you think Thai banks are bad you should see whats happening in Japan...

Origami Bank has just folded and there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank,
we are hearing that Sumo Bank has gone belly up and Bonsai Bank plans to cut back some of its branches.
Karaoke Bank is up for sale and is going for a song.
Meanwhile, shares in Kamikaze Bank have nose-dived and 500 back-office staff at Karate Bank got the chop." :alc:

travelerjim
November 18th, 2010, 13:20
tj

How new is new? The bf had the problem with this machine two days ago (11-15-2010).

Well, there goes my theory...re: Carrefour...It IS a NEW machine..but ???

I have never had a problem (knock on wood)...
using the AEON ATM outside of Home Works - next to Bic C and
Office depot in South Pattaya. Used it again today.

tj

tj

Beachlover
November 18th, 2010, 16:58
Meanwhile, shares in Kamikaze Bank have nose-dived and 500 back-office staff at Karate Bank got the chop." :alc:
You're a clown, giggsy.