PDA

View Full Version : Manhattans ?

Richsilver
January 31st, 2010, 17:05
Yes, it's a very fine restaurant with fine food and an excellent manager. But it is expensive.

firecat69
January 31st, 2010, 22:09
I have not eaten there for a year. The last of the 3 times I was there I continued to think it is vastly over-priced .

The quality of the steak might be up to a Lonestar in the USA but not even close to a fine steak restaurant in New York City. You might ask why I have been there 3 times. It was always a party and I needed to attend.

By the way , the prices are definitely NYC. That said it is fairly difficult to find a Steak house even in Bangkok that has the quality of meat served in NYC. Its the combination of the high prices and average quality that makes it over-priced for me.

TrongpaiExpat
January 31st, 2010, 22:26
That said it is fairly difficult to find a Steak house even in Bangkok that has the quality of meat served in NYC.

Roadhouse on the corner of Rama 4 and Suriwong has a pretty good Black Angus sirloin for around 1,200B. There's a Tony Roma's on Sukhumvit but I never liked Tony Roma's in USA.

Japanese Kobe beef at Amapola, Suk 51

You been to any of these?

http://www.bangkok.com/tatler/steakhouse.html

you might expect in a downtown New York steakhouse. The variety of steaks and seafood from around the world is plentiful. There is a choice of sauces for the steaks but they are mostly so tender that they can be eaten without.*

* Neil's Steak House sound interesting. http://www.bangkok.com/tatler/restaurants/neilstavern.html

Up2U
January 31st, 2010, 23:09
Yes, it's a very fine restaurant with fine food and an excellent manager. But it is expensive.

Yes, very expensive by Thailand and Pattaya standards but a very fine restaurant. Steaks are their specialty and as good as I have had back here in the USA. Their prime rib is a disappointment. They have a luxury van which will pick you up and take you home.

February 1st, 2010, 00:08
Vastly over priced for the quality of food, but it is the place to be seen by the rich and famous: and those that wish they were.

jimnbkk
February 1st, 2010, 00:28
If you just want a tasty steak, and don't have to be in "luxurious surroundings", then go to Mignon in Jomtien. I normally eat Thai food when in LOS, but occasionally I get the urge for a steak. Mignon is satisfactory and not expensive. There's also a steak joint in Royal Garden Mall, but i haven't sampled the steaks there.

February 3rd, 2010, 17:00
I like the Manhattan. The low points for me are the beef and chicken. Maybe they are using method sous vide, which is fine for many proteins, but please char broil my steak.
Is there any place in Pattaya that serves dry aged beef?

February 3rd, 2010, 17:08
Excuse me, what I wanted to convey is that I like the service and the food very much, but that the steaks and sometimes the chicken are disappointing. (But once, actually when it first opened, I had a very good steak.) I have not ordered a steak for about a year. Maybe things have improved. I wish David the best.... I think he really wants to please.... and succeed. [b]Is there new management now?

Up2U
February 3rd, 2010, 21:58
I like the Manhattan. The low points for me are the beef and chicken. Maybe they are using method sous vide, which is fine for many proteins, but please char broil my steak.
Is there any place in Pattaya that serves dry aged beef?

Manhattan calls itself a steakhouse...You say you like it but the low points include the beef? :dontknow:
Something tells me you would be more at home at the Sizzler! :rolling:

Obviously, you do not like Manhanattan's but this is Pattaya and it's a good choice for diners who want ambiance, atmosphere, good service and excellent steaks and are willing to pay for it. I have not eaten at all the steakhouses you mentioned earlier but I have eaten at Ruth Chris and Manhattan's steaks were as good and the sides were better. Manhattan's specialty is steaks so don't complain about the chicken, salmon, etc. Actually, if want value go to the Mata Hari just a few steps away....they also serve a very good steak.

February 3rd, 2010, 23:12
I'll try again.... I like Manhattans. I agree the sides are excellent. Jez, I eat there enough. But, to equate Manhattan with Ruth Chris or many other prime American steak houses just doesn't work for me. Maybe we just have different tastes. No big...

firecat69
February 4th, 2010, 06:59
Comparing Manhattans to Ruth Chris or similar steakhouses in USA is beyond a joke. When I go to a steakhouse, the sides are secondary. The only thing I care about is an aged, well marbled steak cooked preferably over a charcoal grill.

Anyone who thinks Manhattans represents that kind of a steak has either been in Thailand too long or it has been too long since they had a fine steak at a real steakhouse.!!!!!!

Smiles
February 4th, 2010, 09:34
Never heard of Ruth Chris. But not a Manhattanian either.
Succulent photo though (click to engorge):

[album:xkqovrp8]3131[/album:xkqovrp8]

blueboy
February 6th, 2010, 19:21
never been back since our gay friend Tom Vicario was sacked as manager, and no intention to go again.
He made the place tick in his days.
Any idea where he ended up?