PDA

View Full Version : paying 4 taxi

paperboy
January 28th, 2010, 18:48
hi

when i arrive in thialand, bangkok airport, i will need to get some bahts to pay for the taxi.

whats the best way for doing this??? either change at airport or wiat until i see a bank on the way and ask him to satop so i can change some money???

what you think i should do????

thanks

January 28th, 2010, 19:16
Get enough for the taxi fare changed at the airport and change the rest when you get to the city center

January 28th, 2010, 19:34
The cheapest place to exchange lira for baht is at your home airport in Spain. They are eager to get your business so they give you the very best rate. If you're willing to exchange the equivalent of US$500, you can save over 70 baht for the exchange.

Be sure to have at least 2000 baht, however, for transportation to Pattaya. If you arrive at night, be sure to have at least 10,000 baht in hand because you can never be sure your credit card will work for late night checkin. Pays to be safe!

Your ATM cards may not work in Thailand, so be sure to bring enough cash for your trip.

allieb
January 28th, 2010, 20:05
I have always found that the airport banks on arrival offer exactly the same rates as their downtown branches. I always bring dollars in cash and change 1,000 at the airport on arrival. BTW most regular travelors to Thailand should have a few thousand Baht left over from their previous trip that will more than cover a Taxi fare

cdnmatt
January 28th, 2010, 20:10
There's this neat, new invention called an ATM. They work great.

allieb
January 28th, 2010, 20:17
The cheapest place to exchange lira for baht is at your home airport in Spain. They are eager to get your business so they give you the very best rate. If you're willing to exchange the equivalent of US$500, you can save over 70 baht for the exchange.

That is a complete crock of shit. For one Spain doesn't use Lira they use Euros and Italy who did use Lira changed to Euros years ago. Airports in Europe are the worst place to buy foreign currency.

Example: Today in Heathrow airport you will get 48 Baht to the pound and possibly pay a commission. In Thailand Today you will get 52.90 with no commission payable. A difference of 10 % more in Thailand

Jack are you pissed out of your mind today?

January 28th, 2010, 22:36
Relax, just use one of the many AMTs at BKK...

RichLB
January 28th, 2010, 23:42
yes, ATMs are available everywhere - almost one on every block or two. And make sure you tell your credit card company you are going to Thailand. There have been some stories of travellers having their credit/debit cards blocked because the bank feared they had been stolen and were being fraudulently used. Doing that might save you a nightmare.

jinks
January 29th, 2010, 00:51
There have been some stories of travellers having their credit/debit cards blocked because the bank feared they had been stolen and were being fraudulently used. Doing that might save you a nightmare.

Do it, tell your bank or card company, my card was blocked in Australia, it took a very long expensive phone call passing security questions etc. to get it unblocked.

January 29th, 2010, 01:23
My VISA Card was blocked at Christmas and although I got through to them in the UK without too much difficulty they said that because of holiday the department I needed was "closed for two days" so that left me unable to use the card.

I never travel without some alternative source of funds and don't rely just on ATMs as I've had problems repeatedly in Thailand.

HawaiiBoy
January 29th, 2010, 03:08
Recently I have found the bank at the BKK airport to give a slightly lower rate of exchange. If I need cash, I exchange $100 and do more later when I am in the city.

Yes, ATMs are everywhere, but they all charge 150 baht PER TRANSACTION (except the pink bank) plus USA banks are now charging foreign exchange fees plus a foreign ATM fee.

The best exchange rate is to bring large ($500 denomination) American Express Traveler's Checks (avoid VISA travelers checks, they are not universally accepted). You get a better exchange rate and they are safe...if stolen or lost can be replaced within 24 hours.

Beachlover
January 29th, 2010, 04:02
In my experience it's cheaper to buy baht when you're in Thailand. There's a plentiful supply there... as opposed to in your own country where baht is a foreign currency they need to make an effort to stock.

Every country is different, but for Thailand I've always found currency changers downtown offer a better rate than airport changers. Not by much... but all the same, better to change a little at the airport and do the baulk downtown.

Smiles
January 29th, 2010, 11:40
That is a complete crock of shit.
Allieb is quite correct.
Buying the desination's currency in your home country ~ for Thai Baht only a bank will sell them, and possibly an order in advance would be necessary ~ is the worst rip off going: lousy exchange rate and ridiculous fees.

maisoui
January 29th, 2010, 15:32
The impossible option is having the taxi wait while you exchange downtown. You're strongly advised to pay the B50 surcharge at the airport to get your taxi briefed by an English speaker and a Thai written note of your destination especially as this is your first visit and you don't know your destination. This service will note your taxi's registration.

Also you will have to pay highway tolls in cash as the journey progresses. These toll gates will not accept :rolling: lira or Spanish pesos :rolling: (actually, nobody in the world anywhere does - is there a new alcoholic version of Lipton's?)

ATMs in Thailand are now run on the Monte Carlo or Las Vegas model. A year ago I got some cash from an ATM and a couple of days later the same ATM and every one in the vicinity refused. I phoned my bank who advised that I should always draw a little cash at airports wherever I land as artificial intelligence then notes my file that I'm traveling but it's no good phoning the bank 'cos they might think I'm an imposter. It cost me an International phone call to hear this rubbish from Nationwide (usually a recommendable UK Bank). Six months later I had no problems and no surcharges from the same ATMs. I had bought an emergency stock of TCs, which is intact. Hence f*cking amazing Thailand. :violent1:

January 29th, 2010, 18:34
ATMs in Thailand are now run on the Monte Carlo or Las Vegas model. A year ago I got some cash from an ATM and a couple of days later the same ATM and every one in the vicinity refused. I phoned my bank who advised that I should always draw a little cash at airports wherever I land as artificial intelligence then notes my file that I'm traveling but it's no good phoning the bank 'cos they might think I'm an imposter. It cost me an International phone call to hear this rubbish from Nationwide (usually a recommendable UK Bank). Six months later I had no problems and no surcharges from the same ATMs. I had bought an emergency stock of TCs, which is intact. Hence f*cking amazing Thailand. :violent1:

So its Thailand's fault that your bank at home stuffs you around? Seems more like Amazing England....

maisoui
January 30th, 2010, 00:57

So its Thailand's fault that your bank at home stuffs you around? Seems more like Amazing England....

You seem to be Australian so it's not much surprise that you can't follow written English. In England the ATMs behave consistenly day to day, month to month. The issue of the bank's advice is a separate issue.

January 30th, 2010, 03:33

You seem to be Australian so it's not much surprise that you can't follow written English. In England the ATMs behave consistenly day to day, month to month. The issue of the bank's advice is a separate issue.

I prefer the Australians to the English any day of the week.

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

January 30th, 2010, 04:18

Yes, the Scots and the Australians have a lot in common - both are foul-mouthed, violent, drunken, incomprehensible and bigoted.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

maisoui
January 30th, 2010, 04:56
Who said I'm English, just because I live in England. Perhaps my ancestors are from Little France (Edinbourg - la retinue de Marie Stuart), "Scottish Guy" (do you think your the only one?) .

I'm sorry that I tried to help you Patrick66. I won't make the same mistake again.

January 30th, 2010, 06:58

I have never had an ATM here reject my Australian ATM card, and I have been living here 3 years and use ATMs several times a month. I use more than one ATM from different banks, and often use the same ATM more than once. They seem perfectly consistent to me.

Beachlover
January 30th, 2010, 07:20

Sounds like it's your own bank stuffing you around. If all the ATMs refuse you it's because your English bank has placed a block on your card... not the Thai ATMs. I always phone my bank with a list of countries I'm visiting before departure and have never had a card blocked withdrawing from anywhere. They verify my identity with a phone PIN and various other details.

As for the Australian insult?... Lame as.

Diec
January 30th, 2010, 11:38
You are so smart BeachLover.

Surfcrest
January 30th, 2010, 12:18
I won't make the same mistake again.

You wouldn't happen to be into fishing, would you?

a447
January 30th, 2010, 14:36
Yes, the Scots and Australians have a lot in common - both are foul-mouthed, violent, drunken, incomprehensible and bigoted.

Who's bigoted?????

I love the way some people on this board (we know who they are) make sweeping statements about whole countries and the people who live there.
Their ignorance is there for all to see.

January 30th, 2010, 15:12

Yes, the Scots and the Australians have a lot in common - both are foul-mouthed, violent, drunken, incomprehensible and bigoted.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

....where does that leave the Irish?

Tee Hee

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

maisoui
January 30th, 2010, 17:13

For what? Compliments?

maisoui
January 30th, 2010, 17:24

For what, Chemosavvy? Compliments?

Patrick66 is due an apology. I should have said "paperboy".

Many thanks to the person who sent the personal message, but I am not the person you address me as.

Surfcrest
January 30th, 2010, 23:57

Be sure to have at least 2000 baht, however, for transportation to Pattaya. If you arrive at night, be sure to have at least 10,000 baht in hand because you can never be sure your credit card will work for late night checkin. Pays to be safe!

Your ATM cards may not work in Thailand, so be sure to bring enough cash for your trip.

paperboy,

Things in Thailand are so different than in Spain. The food, the languageтАжitтАЩs a lot to absorb for a new traveller. ItтАЩs not like Barcelona (The petty theft Capitol of the world), in Thailand you can trust everyone. Your best bet is to find a nice taxi driver, give him your wallet and your PIN numbers so he can look after the money for you. You may want to just leave your wallet with him and have him stop by every other day or so when you need a ride somewhere or you need money. Tuk Tuk drivers will get you the best exchange and are known to be the most trust worthy. Besides, riding in the fresh open air of Bangkok is the best way to see the City.

Chok Dee

Great post Jack, LMAO!

Oh, and if you still 'heart' Paperboy, I simply googled his own request: airports near pattaya

It generated and explosion of U Tapao and related links. Within seconds PB would have had more information than he could ever handle. Here's a guy from SPAIN, flying to THAILAND, and there's only one destination it's even possible to utilize: Bangkok. He request a TAXI reference to Pattaya, knows from board advice that it's only 90 minutes by car, then is wondering if there is an airport 'near pattaya'.

There is one. The one that he asked for taxi transfer advice from on his very own thread.

paperboy (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/book-now-wait-t18951-15.html)

krobbie
January 31st, 2010, 05:15
hi

when i arrive in thialand, bangkok airport, i will need to get some bahts to pay for the taxi.

whats the best way for doing this??? either change at airport or wiat until i see a bank on the way and ask him to satop so i can change some money???

what you think i should do????

thanks
Paperboy, it loo0ks like you have sparked some debate for some reason. I will endeavour to cut to the chase.

Here is the Bangkok Bank website for the Bangkok International airport (Suvarnabhumi). They have 2 exchange boots and you will be able to see what the exchange rate is for the Euro before you leave home (top right hand corner). There doesn't seem to be a map on the site but I am sure if you email them they will direct to where they are. Ask for a map of their position at the airport so you know exactly where to go.

I would imagine that there are several Foreign Exchange booths on the arrivals level (see layout map)

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Ba ... fault.aspx (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Exchange/Pages/Default.aspx)

Here also is a map of the layout of the airport.

http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand ... layout.php (http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand-travel-information/suvarnabhumi-airport-layout.php)

I hope this may help or you may have already decided on a plan.

Choc dee
krobbie

Beachlover
January 31st, 2010, 05:55
Paperboy... don't forget to wear your helmet and bring your crayons.