PDA

View Full Version : Farang with Thai nicknames

Chuai-Duai
January 27th, 2010, 14:24
I'm not going to comment on the thread itself but I was intrigued by the use of the name "Somsak" for a Farang which I see on this board.

I've known a Thai called "Khun Somsak" for many years so I wonder why this particular name should be adopted for a non Thai.

Is it common for expats to have Thai nicknames and if so how are they chosen?

January 27th, 2010, 14:57
The 2 most common nicknames for Farang:

1. ATM

2. FAT (in thai obviously!)

Regarding the thread you almost posted to - I almost posted to it too, but decided that discretion was the better part of valour.

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

January 27th, 2010, 15:53
There are (a very few) farang who use or are given Thai names. I know of two. I think its more common to see Thai who have farang nicknames, such as the rather well known Mark.

Chuai-Duai
January 27th, 2010, 20:22

Well at least they won't call me that, unless they are being ironic and I don't think Thais "do" irony.

Actually my first name is already a word in Thai, if used with the correct tone, but it's a bit obscure so I doubt that any Thai would think it was a nickname.

January 28th, 2010, 02:53

Actually my first name is already a word in Thai, if used with the correct tone, but it's a bit obscure so I doubt that any Thai would think it was a nickname.

Let's guess ... Gary ... ga-ree :rolling:

colmx
January 28th, 2010, 05:40
I think when a farag spends a long time living in a Thai village and interacts with the locals... they usually pick up a Thai nickname...

In my BFs village the local Farang was known by all as "Sombat" - which i believe means Wealth

Of course his wife loved this name as it brought great face to her!
He didn't as it encouraged begggars!

I haven't seen Sombat in 3 years now... since his wife tried to murder him for shagging ladyboys!

Smiles
January 28th, 2010, 09:01
" ... In my BFs village the local Farang was known by all as "Sombat" - which i believe means Wealth. Of course his (boyfriend) loved this name as it brought great face to (him)! He didn't as it encouraged begggars! ... "
I'd discourage that one toot sweet: your farang abode will attract much worse than beggars very quickly ... and they sometimes are not pleased when witnesses (AKA 'The Owner' et al) wake up in the middle of a job.
I prefer my nickname being 'Tingtong'. I pretend to be be mad, queer, and desititute when hangin' around slurping cheap beer in the hood.

January 31st, 2010, 01:45
I think its more common to see Thai who have farang nicknames, such as the rather well known Mark.

Speaking of, what on earth possesses some to pick/be given names like "Ball" or "Frame" or "Jeans"?

Of course, the most unbelievable name belongs to a girl I met in Hong Kong. Apparently, her parents (who didn't know any English at all) had to give her an English name in addition to the Chinese one (as is very common in that part of the world). So they opened up the dictionary and picked the first word they saw as her name. The word being (I kid you not) "Styrofoam". Now that takes the whole bakery, not just the cake!

llz
January 31st, 2010, 03:51
About ten years ago I was in Classic Boys in Pattaya (now closed) and decided to ask for some advice from the two boys I was sitting with, as I wanted to have a thai name.
They asked for my farang name, my country and my birth month, they chatted together for some seconds and gave me two names to choose from (Rat and Rot if I remember well) ; after looking in the dictionary, I finally chose Rot / р╣Вр╕гр╕Ир╕Щр╣М ("o" like in "coat") which means something like "to flouresce or glow".
I usually give this name when asked "whas your name", especially as my French first name is a little bit difficult for thai ears. And all the boys I know including my boyfriend only call me "phii rot".
Getting my own thai name gave me about the same joy as opening an account in a thai bank - as if it could be a big step to feeling more thai.

Bob
January 31st, 2010, 09:01
And all the boys I know including my boyfriend only call me "phii rot".

Glowing ghost? Any idea why they call you that?

Smiles
January 31st, 2010, 09:20
:laughing3: :laughing3:

Cut Bob some slack. It's his last day of Thai lessons, and he received 92%, then got drunk. Still drunk.

Bob
January 31st, 2010, 11:13

Cut Bob some slack. It's his last day of Thai lessons, and he received 92%, then got drunk. Still drunk.

Hey, ya old goat. I've got the dickhead on ignore because he's, you know, a dickhead. But you made me peek.

Older brother glowing? Sure, possible. But "glowing ghost" makes as much sense. Okay, Ilz, what's the tone of the "phii" (high tone, falling tone, etc.?)?

January 31st, 2010, 12:13

Hey, ya old goat. I've got the dickhead on ignore because he's, you know, a dickhead. But you made me peek.

Older brother glowing? Sure, possible. But "glowing ghost" makes as much sense. Okay, Ilz, what's the tone of the "phii" (high tone, falling tone, etc.?)?

р╕Юр╕╡р╣И - falling tone, long vowel = older sibling, also used for older friends, even just to refer to a person older than yourself
р╕Ьр╕╡ - rising tone, long vowel = ghost

TrongpaiExpat
January 31st, 2010, 12:56
Dickhead:
р╕лр╕▒р╕з - rising tone, short vowel = hua=head

р╕Др╕зр╕в - mid tone, short vowel (very short) =koy=dick

January 31st, 2010, 13:09
р╕Др╕зр╕в - mid tone, short vowel (very short) =koy=dick

actually, р╕лр╕▒р╕з and р╕Др╕зр╕в have the same vowel - р╕кр╕гр╕░ р╕▒р╕з is written without the р╕▒ when there is a final consonant. so р╕Др╕зр╕в is actually р╕Д + р╕▒р╕з + р╕в, something more like khuay

January 31st, 2010, 18:53
Is this correct?

http://www.moneymad.org/Previous/dick_head_blair.jpg

TrongpaiExpat
January 31st, 2010, 21:31
You can call yourself corona glandis if you think that sounds more classy.

ceejay
January 31st, 2010, 22:16
You can call yourself corona glandis if you think that sounds more classy.
That sounds like the stage name of a drag queen to me! :happy7:

February 1st, 2010, 00:00
The 2 most common nicknames for Farang:

1. ATM

Regarding the thread you almost posted to - I almost posted to it too, but decided that discretion was the better part of valour.

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

2. OUN ( FAT in Thai obviously ! ) :blackeye: