PDA

View Full Version : LMTU/HPV/GARDASIL

francois
January 26th, 2010, 15:01
After reading posts by "let-me-tell-you" concerning his experiences with HPV (human papillomavirus) I did research and asked my doctor's advice. I was told that vaccination with Gardasil was recommended for males and females up to age 26. Even so, I asked and was given this vaccination. There are three shots; the initial, the second at 2 months and the third at 6 months. My insurance did cover the cost which I believe is about $350 USD or equivalent. Oh, yes, I did tell the doctor a white lie about my age, but he did know I was a frequent flyer to Thailand.

catawampuscat
January 27th, 2010, 04:57
francois, why did you lie about your age? You look like you are still in your 20's,
well, maybe 29 and a few months.. :happy7:
I am not well versed on the HPV situation but can pass on some good advise to
those who plan to partake in the pleasures of not being monogomous in Thailand.

Get the vaccine for Hep A and Hep B.. It has been a few years since I completed the
shots and believe there may now be a combined Hep A & B vaccine and even one for Hep C..

gearguy
January 27th, 2010, 05:59
sadly no, there is no Hep C vaccine and Hep C is a real killer.

Everyone should get the Hep A/B vaccine.

The HPV vaccine is not currently recommended for men or women above age 29 since by that age most people
have been exposed to HPV and research to date has not indicated that an adequate immune response is developed
in an older population. It only provides protection for a sub-set of HPV viruses.

That said, as best I can tell from reading and from discussions with my doctor, there's not a lot of risk associated
with getting the vaccine, just maybe no benefit. I'm way over the age range so I opted not to get the vaccine, but if I
were in my 20s I would certainly get the vaccine.

Another vaccine that us older folks such consider is Zostavax, for shingles. Anyone who ever had chickenpox as a kid
is at risj for shingles in their later years and LMTU it is no fun. This vaccine has been shown
to reduce shingles attacks and lessen severity. One issue with Zostravax is that it is a live, attenuated
virus based vaccine, so it's use in immune compromised, eg HIV+, individuals is contraindicated. There are
ongoing clinical trials with HIV+ patients with high CD4 counts to access safety and efficiency.

Standard disclaimer, talk anything over with your doctor.

gearguy
January 27th, 2010, 09:29
You are being an alarmist.

Hep C, while truly a bad virus to get, is not readily transmitted thru casual contact, and surfaces, or even sexual
activity that does not involve blood to blood contact. Its effects on health are gradual and it can take up to
20 years of chronic infection to develop cirhosis of the liver, most often then the only treatment is a liver transplant.
Early treatment with a variety of medication often results in clearing the virus from the body but many people do not
get tested and treated early enough.

Health care workers, esp dentists and ER staff, EMT, fireman, police officiers are some of the most at risk groups,
as well as IV drug users.

Closing down the room for three weeks with weekly spaying was certainly overkill.

Hep C is NOT transmitted by skin to skin contact, or skin to surface contact (in the absence of blood on the surfaces).

It is not transmitted via semen, as in HIV, so sexual transmission, in the absence of blood, is not an efficient
mode of transmission.

gearguy
January 27th, 2010, 10:10
And you just said the same thing I did, but in your original post you clearly implied that skin to skin contact
was a mode of transmission.

here's the data: http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HCV/HCVfaq.htm#section2

recent environmental studies indicate about a 48 hour survivability for the virus on surfaces at ambient temp and
relative humidity. Nevertheless chances of infection via surface contact would require exposure of an open wound
to a contaminated surface. Normal hygenic practices are effective in killing the virus, including standard disenfecting
soaps and wipes.

I still think you are overly alarmist; I don't live my life in a body condom.

but I can also add personal experience. I have lived for 22 years with a HepC infected person, shared his bed,
touched him and loved him, had sex with him, bandage him when he's hurt and hugged when he needs
it (or just because) and I'm Hep C negative.

catawampuscat
January 27th, 2010, 10:23
My understanding about Hep C is that if you get the Hep A and Hep B vaccines, they
will provide some protection from Hep C..
Since there is no vaccine yet for Hep C, getting vaccinated for the A and B makes sense.

I agree with gearguy and know very few of us are willing to live in a body condom or live in
fear with every encounter.. Taking care of your self, not smoking tobacco or doing drugs/pills,
keeping yourself fit and using common sense is a practical way to handle things..

By the way, anal warts is another problem and difficult to deal with.. If you see anything
that doesn't look right, don't take chances and move on..It often is associated with a damaged immune system and should wilt most boners if you look before you leap... :sex:

This topic is a downer but if someone gets the Hep vaccines, it is worthwhile..imho anyway.