PDA

View Full Version : Tawana, Le Meridien, Montien Bangkok

January 24th, 2010, 19:37
Hi everyone,

In march I will go to Bangkok. Normally I stay in Unico Grande Silom hotel, which is very gayfriendly and near the gayscene. But at the moment they have renovation works, so I have to book another hotel.
I want to stay near the gay scene in Silom and a good swimmingpool is essential to me.
I searched the internet and I think my choice will be between Tawana, Le Meridien or Montien Bangkok.
Does anyone of you any usefull information about these 3 hotels, esp. for the gaytraveller?
Are they gayfriendly and do they welcome your new boyfriend :bounce: ?
Thanks for your information.
Greets from Hans, Holland.

January 24th, 2010, 20:26
I used to stay at the Patpong Montien but haven't for a few years now. I never had a problem with bringing a guy back but you'll pay a joiners fee. They would take his ID Card at the desk and it was sometimes a bit tortuous getting it back as the right security person had to be there.

On one occasion I was paying my bill and a member of staff called out to me from the other end of the reception desk "Excuse me Sir, how many nights did you have the boy?" I think every head in the reception area turned towards me and my young companion.

I'm not keen on swimming pools in Bangkok so can't comment on that.

Beachlover
January 24th, 2010, 20:53
Try the Sofitel Silom... it's across the road from the Unico... I remember looking down at the Unico and it's rooftop pool when staying there.

It has a smaller pool but nice deck chairs and everything else is better.

January 25th, 2010, 02:05
sorry but the Sofitel is far beyond my budget.

January 25th, 2010, 02:22
Try the Sofitel Silom... it's across the road from the Unico... I remember looking down at the Unico and it's rooftop pool when staying there.

It has a smaller pool but nice deck chairs and everything else is better.

I stayed several times at Sofitel Silom that is a really good hotel, but I didn't have the feeling it was gay friendly. Does someone have specific info about that?

Beachlover
January 25th, 2010, 03:18
sorry but the Sofitel is far beyond my budget.

I thought it might be, since you mentioned Le Meridien... and Sofitel is usually (not always) cheaper than Le Meridian.

Beachlover
January 25th, 2010, 03:21
I stayed several times at Sofitel Silom that is a really good hotel, but I didn't have the feeling it was gay friendly. Does someone have specific info about that?

How do you define "gay friendly"?

I certainly never had an unfriendly feel or look from them bringing back guests. All they do is open the door and wai politely...

tomas1
January 25th, 2010, 03:30
Understand your argument about budget, but I have had some amazing offers from the top hotels homepages lately. Have stayed both in Sofitel and Dusit Thani at VERY nice prices. At Sofitel the security were not too nice when you brought someone back, but they never said anything. At Dusit they just give give you a smile and "good night, Sir". :thebirdman:

Beachlover
January 25th, 2010, 04:05
Totally true... check out Agoda and Asiarooms (though AR are not as good as they used to be).

Dusit deluxe rooms go for as low as $130 (AUD) and Sofitel rooms go for as little as $100 or $120 with club access. Lebua looks cheap to... they must have too many rooms they can't fill in that enormous building.

lonelywombat
January 25th, 2010, 04:52
I would not stay again at the Montien as they have been rude, unhelpful and unpleasant to joiners of both sexes. I recently met a straight guy that had similar problems to my last visit.

I agree with previous posters shop around all the booking services for special deals for Dusit Thani, including emailing them direct. I never had problems with Sofitel but their prices went though the roof ,so only rarely o do I check their rates. Dusit is in a marvellous position.

a447
January 25th, 2010, 09:24
You can't go past the Rose Hotel. I've stayed there many times and it is like they almost expect you to walk in with someone. They never bat an eyelid. They keep any ID cards at the front desk. They have a nice big pool and are 2 minutes away from the action. Set down an alleyway, it is also quiet. Rooms are big enough and have bar fridge and safe.

January 26th, 2010, 01:48

I certainly never had an unfriendly feel or look from them bringing back guests. All they do is open the door and wai politely...
Well, several years ago i was there with my ex thai bf and the security always checked his ID and his key card. Lately i've been there alone with no guests, so i didn't have any problem of course.
I was asking if someone had experience taking to the hotel a one night stand.

lonelywombat
January 26th, 2010, 02:11
I have never had trouble taking an off back to Sofitel Silom . It is difficult to identify patrons going to the disco up stairs from guests and visitors going to their rooms. They use the same lift.
There was a high proportion of asian tours staying there compared to other hotels I have been staying in, many of whom of all ages are very casually dressed compared to other name hotels. Bar boys do not seem to stand out as much as say Dusit Thani

I stopped going to Sofitel when their rates went off the clock prior the the financial meltdown

ceejay
January 26th, 2010, 02:45
You can't go past the Rose Hotel..... ......... They keep any ID cards at the front desk
I'd agree with most of that about the Rose. Except, when I was there in November, and took a boy back at night, the security guard on the desk out front just gave us a smile and waved us through. The boy seemed as surprised as I was - he'd already got his ID out ready to hand it over.

allieb
January 26th, 2010, 02:54
You can't go past the Rose Hotel. I've stayed there many times and it is like they almost expect you to walk in with someone. They never bat an eyelid. They keep any ID cards at the front desk. They have a nice big pool and are 2 minutes away from the action. Set down an alleyway, it is also quiet. Rooms are big enough and have bar fridge and safe.

I couldn't agree more see the pic of the pool

Beachlover
January 26th, 2010, 07:29
I would not stay again at the Montien as they have been rude, unhelpful and unpleasant to joiners of both sexes. I recently met a straight guy that had similar problems to my last visit.

I agree with previous posters shop around all the booking services for special deals for Dusit Thani, including emailing them direct. I never had problems with Sofitel but their prices went though the roof ,so only rarely o do I check their rates. Dusit is in a marvellous position.

Sofitel prices fluctuate so it's not permanent. Same with Dusit. I've written them off seeing them go through the room only to see them come right back down. I just bounce between hotels depending on who's offering the best value. There's plenty of competition in that area and always one or two with dead low prices. Same in most cities.

Beachlover
January 26th, 2010, 07:32

Well, several years ago i was there with my ex thai bf and the security always checked his ID and his key card. Lately i've been there alone with no guests, so i didn't have any problem of course.
I was asking if someone had experience taking to the hotel a one night stand.

Ah well... maybe things have changed. I can't imagine security checking anyone's ID there. I brought back a few one night stands and they just smiled and opened the door.

Beachlover
January 26th, 2010, 07:33
I stopped going to Sofitel when their rates went off the clock prior the the financial meltdown

Ancient history... things change from month to month now.

Beachlover
January 26th, 2010, 07:34
The boy seemed as surprised as I was - he'd already got his ID out ready to hand it over.

Heh... first time I read this I thought you said, "he'd already got his ID card out and was ready to bend over" lol.

January 26th, 2010, 14:03
thanks for all your replies. I will check Rose hotel. But I did not hear anyone about Le Meridien, the hotel looks nice but I do not know their attitude to gay visitors.

Beachlover
January 30th, 2010, 19:11
What's so unusual about the decor?

January 31st, 2010, 01:08
I guess he means it's a little club-y, and very like a W hotel. Might not be up to everyone's tastes - though I totally love it!

And I just spent a few nights at the Le Meridien this past week, and had no problems at all with joiners. More on that in a bit.

krobbie
January 31st, 2010, 03:26
Re: The Rose

Have not stayed at the other hotels specified in the subject line but have stayed at The Rose on several occasions when Le Meridien was being built down the soi on Sarawongse.

The staff were as friendly as can be, the woman who organises tours and travel at her desk was just as helpful. The rooms can be sometimes a bit odd but if you do not like it just ask for another, it's of no consequence. The odd ones are usually the corner rooms.

The breakfast is more than adequate for a start to the day. Staff at the small breakfast restaurant were also very friendly.

The pool area was done early in 2008 and is an absolute haven. Clean and clear and large towels aplenty.

I have just looked at The Rose site on wotif.com and the rooms look to have had a do up recently. They weren't like that when I was there less than 2 years ago. Very nice indeed and 100 baht cheaper than they were then. They have a special for 3 nights plus of 1700 baht including breakfast for you and a partner.

I first decided on this hotel when I read a review that stated, "you can bring anyone back to The Rose and no-one bats an eyelid. If you bought an elephant back, all the receptionist would say is mind your step as you get into the lift". That did it for me and I never regretted my choice.

Don't book the the hotel website as it is more expensive but I have included it here just FYI. At the bottom are the reviews on Tripadvisor.

http://www.rosehotelbkk.com/
http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=W ... ewType=all (http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=W65997&page=1&viewType=all)
http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bang ... hotel.html (http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/rose_hotel.html)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... ngkok.html (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d563368-Reviews-Rose_Hotel-Bangkok.html)

Cheers
krobbie

Beachlover
January 31st, 2010, 06:00
I guess he means it's a little club-y, and very like a W hotel. Might not be up to everyone's tastes - though I totally love it!

And I just spent a few nights at the Le Meridien this past week, and had no problems at all with joiners. More on that in a bit.

Oh... I love the look of it. But don't like that they don't have proper work desks in any of their rooms... just these poxy little benches stuck against the wall.

ThaiFan
January 31st, 2010, 20:52
thanks for all your replies. I will check Rose hotel. But I did not hear anyone about Le Meridien, the hotel looks nice but I do not know their attitude to gay visitors.

I recently stayed at Le Meridian for 12 nights and there was no probelm with joiners nor was there any joiner fee. The staff were friendly and very efficient and I will certainly stay there again on my next visit in March

The facilitities are exellent although the somewhat unusual style of decor does take a little getting used to.

Do they still have gelato during the breakfast buffet? I stayed a few nights once, during their soft opening 3 years ago, and I was totally floored when they said I could have bitter chocolate and yogurt gelato with my waffles (freshly made, mind you)... Fell in love instantly with the Le Meridien, :love4:

tomas1
February 1st, 2010, 02:40
If you want a top hotel in the Silom area, think of Dusit Thani. Stayed there for the last years. Really good quality and facilities. Always a smile and welcome. No difficulties to bring someone back. Top location. Some very good offers from time to time. I always book directly on their homepage. have not fould cheaper prices on other websites.