PDA

View Full Version : Another Crackdown on Pattaya Bars

January 22nd, 2010, 18:54
Thaivisa.com news are reporting an upcoming crackdown on Pattaya bars (including gay bars) looking for foreigners involved in bars offering sex services, such as taking boys off for sex.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Police-Crackdown-Foreign-Operated-t332056.html

January 22nd, 2010, 19:01
Thaivisa.com news are reporting an upcoming crackdown on Pattaya bars (including gay bars) looking for foreigners involved in bars offering sex services, such as taking boys off for sex.

Nothing new, probably a new police general who wants smarty points before the large backhanders.

January 22nd, 2010, 19:03
I could be wrong, but it seems a bit different to some of the other routine crackdowns that are feature of Pattaya.

fedssocr
January 24th, 2010, 02:17
Also interesting that the article implies they will only be going after gay bars rather than the girlie bars which surely must bring in more money.

January 24th, 2010, 03:02
Also interesting that the article implies they will only be going after gay barsI must have missed that bit. Where is that implied?

January 24th, 2010, 14:04
The implication was that they were going after all bars, including gay bars.

Thai Dyed
January 24th, 2010, 14:56
Most countries in the world are becoming more sexually repressive and this has been evident for about two decades at the very least. NGOs started to get the upper hand in taking control of our vocabulary with agenda-laden definitions, getting governments to accept this new vocabulary, and twisting legislators arms to create sexual "police states". For example, the oldest profession in the world has been denigrated into "slavery". The current popular mythology is that no one would become a prostitute of their own free will unless they were coerced or otherwise driven to it in one way or another. "Human trafficking" can mean taking a bus from Issan to Pattaya to engage in one's chosen trade. The word "abuse" has been stripped of all meaning since it can now be interpreted to mean anything that anyone, anywhere finds unconventional.

The really amazing thing is that Thailand has held out for so long in a global sea of rising anti-sex hysteria.

As far as farang are concerned, at the very least, I think it is time to enjoy yourself as much as you can since I doubt the future will be very kind to us in regard to our pursuit of easy sex. This is true for the straight as well as the gay. And while this current warning may pass, these police incidents are likely to come in more frequent waves gaining in intensity with time.

And let's face it, most of us don't consider our freedom or "liberation" to consist of sitting around with a bunch of old queens talking about knitting or drag shows, or getting married and adopting children. For those that do, you're in hog heaven already!

January 24th, 2010, 15:22

I think we should have a poll to find out which bars we hope get raided first and which bar owners get slammed up :blackeye:

Thai Dyed
January 24th, 2010, 21:01
I think we should have a poll to find out which bars we hope get raided first and which bar owners get slammed up

Be careful what you wish for.

January 26th, 2010, 01:13
Have you noticed the source of that "new" information regarding the bars? I didn't think so.... relax.

January 26th, 2010, 14:19
We will have to wait and see.

cdnmatt
January 26th, 2010, 14:33
You can be almost guaranteed the cops will start with Sunnee though. They have a hard-on for that place.

January 27th, 2010, 16:52
MCOT are reporting the arrest of a Frenchman who apparently owns several Pattaya gay venues and is involved in something we don't mention.
http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=13930

Thai Dyed
January 27th, 2010, 19:32
MCOT are reporting the arrest of a Frenchman who apparently owns several Pattaya gay venues and is involved in something we don't mention.
http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=13930

This is a French citizen in Thailand. What on earth does the American FBI have to do with this?

Americans keep asking me "why does everyone one hate us?" Well, let me count the ways: Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan for starters, and now Pattaya. That's just the short list. 1000 military bases worldwide, meddling in everyone else's affairs, all the while facing bankruptcy, nearly scuttling the rest of the world with their financial scams, and considered by many to be a "failed state".

I'll pass over in silence the fundamentalist Christians and incidents such as the Matthew Shepard affair. But the list is endless if you look at any newspaper on any day.

Evidence and facts never interest the American government since they make it up as they go along to suit their agenda:
http://www.counterpunch.org/wypijewski01252010.html

January 27th, 2010, 21:11
Americans keep asking me "why does everyone one hate us?" Well, let me count the ways: Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan for starters, and now Pattaya. That's just the short list. 1000 military bases worldwide, meddling in everyone else's affairs, all the while facing bankruptcy, nearly scuttling the rest of the world with their financial scams, and considered by many to be a "failed state".

I'll pass over in silence the fundamentalist Christians and incidents such as the Matthew Shepard affair. But the list is endless if you look at any newspaper on any day.

Evidence and facts never interest the American government since they make it up as they go along to suit their agenda:
http://www.counterpunch.org/wypijewski01252010.html

Couldn't agree more, one only has to watch Oliver Stones movie "W" it's very, very scary what they actually believe in.

January 27th, 2010, 23:43
Shouldn't we be thanking the FBI rather than condemning? Says a lot about the members of this board.

It says a lot about how the police in various countries have gleefully persecuted gay men over the years on fairly trivial matters, to the extent that many police forces have lost all respect, goodwill, and co-operation from many in the gay community - even on serious matters like the ones alleged.

No doubt we will shortly have a response along the lines of "if you have nothing to hide ............" and other sage advice from certain posters who wish the spotlight to shine away from themselves and on to others - the type of gay farang who spy for the police in Pattaya in return for a blind eye being turned to their own activities past, present, and future.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

January 28th, 2010, 00:12
This is a French citizen in Thailand. What on earth does the American FBI have to do with this?

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is

[ ] Thailand's ruin
[X] Thailand's smart nanny!

sur d├йnonciation du FBI de de repr├йsentants de la Police Nationale Fran├зaise de l'Ambassade de France a Bangkok

Beachlover
January 28th, 2010, 03:16
Most countries in the world are becoming more sexually repressive and this has been evident for about two decades at the very least. NGOs started to get the upper hand in taking control of our vocabulary with agenda-laden definitions, getting governments to accept this new vocabulary, and twisting legislators arms to create sexual "police states". For example, the oldest profession in the world has been denigrated into "slavery". The current popular mythology is that no one would become a prostitute of their own free will unless they were coerced or otherwise driven to it in one way or another. "Human trafficking" can mean taking a bus from Issan to Pattaya to engage in one's chosen trade. The word "abuse" has been stripped of all meaning since it can now be interpreted to mean anything that anyone, anywhere finds unconventional.

The really amazing thing is that Thailand has held out for so long in a global sea of rising anti-sex hysteria.

As far as farang are concerned, at the very least, I think it is time to enjoy yourself as much as you can since I doubt the future will be very kind to us in regard to our pursuit of easy sex. This is true for the straight as well as the gay. And while this current warning may pass, these police incidents are likely to come in more frequent waves gaining in intensity with time.

And let's face it, most of us don't consider our freedom or "liberation" to consist of sitting around with a bunch of old queens talking about knitting or drag shows, or getting married and adopting children. For those that do, you're in hog heaven already!

The NGOs get up in arms (rightfully so) about human trafficking, under aged and detainment against will. This stuff does happen. You just don't see it. A bar boy getting on a bus to Pattaya, which is what you mostly do see and hear about isn't trafficking. A boy being taken from his village after an upfront payment to his parents is trafficking. It's sick and needs to be stopped. Unfortunately, when this kind of thing is associated heavily with a certain industry, then the "legitimate" part of that industry will naturally develop an image problem.

cdnmatt
January 28th, 2010, 04:33
Me thinks Pattaya has built-up the family tourism industry enough now, to make it more profitable for them to begin slowly wiping out the sex industry. The families that come here drop WAY more taxable and traceable dollars in Pattaya than the average sex tourist does. One thing the families don't want though, is their little Johnny seeing hookers all over the place. So now they'll begin cracking down more harshly as the years tick by, until Pattaya turns into more of a Phuket.

The scales have been tipped now. The more the sex industry disintegrates, the more families that will come, and it's at the point where that would be more profitable for the economy now.

Even just that news announcement is geared towards families, with remarks like it's rumored some of the bars in Pattaya sell sex. Really now? Damn, I think we found the next Sherlock Holmes.

colmx
January 28th, 2010, 05:45
The families that come here drop WAY more taxable and traceable dollars in Pattaya than the average sex tourist does. .

Sorry but i would strongly dispute that fact

The average sexpat probably comes to Pattaya twice a year and drops 5000B a day on drinks and girls
This 5000B in turn is spent by the people who earn it (bar owners, bar staff and the hookers) on the local economy

The average family probably come to Thailand once in a lifetime and spend 5000B in 2 or 3 days

colmx
January 28th, 2010, 05:52
The families that come here drop WAY more taxable and traceable dollars in Pattaya than the average sex tourist does. .

Sorry i just re-read your post

Yes I agree that the money is taxable and traceable as it is all being spent in western hotels....

But for money in the economy - the Sexpat spends more REAL money!

cottmann
January 28th, 2010, 06:49
Shouldn't we be thanking the FBI rather than condemning? Says a lot about the members of this board.

Leaving aside the behaviors of other members of the board, the FBI's involvement in this case would seem to be outside the scope of its extraterritorial jurisdiction which, under US law, seems to be confined to such areas as Counter-terrorism Incident Response (bombings, post-blast response/investigations; hijackings; hostage - taking; and homicides of U.S. persons) (http://denver.fbi.gov/nfip.htm overseas)(although domestically its mandate covers Civil Rights, Domestic and International Terrorism, Foreign Counterintelligence, Organized Crime/Drugs, Violent Crimes and Major Offenders, and White-Collar Crime) unless US citizens are involved.

cdnmatt
January 28th, 2010, 07:08
Sorry, I should have said tax revenues, and not the economy. For all intents and purposes, a city is just a business, right? Everything they do is geared towards increasing their cash flow, so they can build better infrastructure like the upcoming monorail, fund education, etc. This is why they've been pushing family tourism for so many years, and more than likely, have now decided it's at the point where they can begin slowly ridding the city of sex tourism, which they hope will increase the family tourism.

Sure, sex tourists dump alot of money into the economy, but I highly doubt they fill the city's coffers much. For example, take me. I think of all the money I spend, and I bet at least 70% of it goes unreported on taxes. That, and I don't spend 4000 baht/night to stay at the Marriot, because I know Pattaya, and I know I can get larger, nicer and more comfortable rooms for 700 baht/night. It's just those rooms aren't listed on Agoda. And I highly doubt the landlords I stay with are as honest on their tax returns as the Marriot is.

Or take hookers. A nice apartment that comfortably fits 2 or 3 people is what? About 4500 baht/month including utilities? So all Pattaya needs is one family to rent one hotel room for one night, to equal three hookers renting a monthly apartment. That, and again, I highly doubt the Thai landlords are perfectly honest on their tax returns.

Right now, I agree, sex tourists dump more money into Pattaya than families do. Give it 5 - 10 years though of cracking down on sex tourists, while promoting family tourism, and I bet that could easily change. And this is why the police are saying they're going after anyone selling sex, instead of the typical things like underage, yabba, etc.

So... where's the new R&R places for the US military during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars? We'll have to head over there, and check them out in 5 years. :-)

January 28th, 2010, 08:44
What you have suggested makes sense, Matt. However I wonder in the long run, how tolerant families would be after being fleeced by all the parasites looking to make a quick baht not to mention police fines. The police depend on tourists somewhat to earn a little cash on the side. I can't see a municipal gov't putting a stop to such activities especially when this is something that happens all over Thailand. Eliminating corruption, scams and road side tea money grabs would be something they would need to tackle in order for families to feel safe and to nurture such a change.

Pattaya, in it's present form, seems to fit hand and glove with that right now. Me thinks that such a change is either next to impossible or a quite a ways off in the distant future.

Surfcrest
January 28th, 2010, 08:50
Most countries in the world are becoming more sexually repressive and this has been evident for about two decades at the very least.

Not sure where you are getting your information from, but most seems to be a bit of a stretch. ItтАЩs certainly not something IтАЩm getting a sense of in Europe or my own country.

When I see guys, taking too many liberties with their new found sexual freedoms down at Jomtien beach, I cannot help to think they are bringing undue attention on us. On a larger scale, the same could be said with respect to the sexual tourists in Thailand as a whole creating the buzz of sexual hysteria. Even SGT itself broadcasts to the Internet all of the conversations that we have had here which, in many respects supports this theory of sexual hysteria in Thailand. This is just one of the good reasons why we donтАЩt have certain discussions here that certain members just donтАЩt get.

Americans keep asking me "why does everyone one hate us?" Well, let me count the ways: Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan for starters, and now Pattaya.

We could easily open another thread to discuss the lengthy question on Afghanistan. Just bear in mind that the Americans arenтАЩt the only ones there and that a lot of good people around the globe have made the ultimate sacrifice to address a global concern coming out of that country.

sydneyboy
January 28th, 2010, 11:07
This might put these Sunnee bars out of their misery. After a recent visit "misery" is too kind a word to describe them.

January 28th, 2010, 15:13
Any law enforcement body that nabs someone prostituting 12 year-olds should be hailed as heroes -- whether they are Thai, American, or from the moon. But I think I have an idea why you whingers are so bitter.

Heroes?
Doing their job more like.
Maybe you get off on police uniforms, I don't know.
You were much more fun as Beachbunny.

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Beachlover
January 28th, 2010, 15:58
What you have suggested makes sense, Matt. However I wonder in the long run, how tolerant families would be after being fleeced by all the parasites looking to make a quick baht not to mention police fines. The police depend on tourists somewhat to earn a little cash on the side. I can't see a municipal gov't putting a stop to such activities especially when this is something that happens all over Thailand. Eliminating corruption, scams and road side tea money grabs would be something they would need to tackle in order for families to feel safe and to nurture such a change.

Pattaya, in it's present form, seems to fit hand and glove with that right now. Me thinks that such a change is either next to impossible or a quite a ways off in the distant future.

Phuket is rife with scams and corruption and look how popular it is with families and straight couples.

January 30th, 2010, 22:58
Americans keep asking me "why does everyone hate us?"
[X] Pity, Irony, mockery, contempt. But hate? They are their own victims
[X] Only obese American women are hated by everyone
[X] Canadian flags can't protect them any more
[X] Some Arabs buy American flags. Some Arabs burn American flags
[X] Legal immigration from Arabic countries is only getting stronger
[X] Nobody hates handsome Dutch or Norwegian Americans. Visit my tent!
[X] They are incredibly sweet, because they are even more na├пve than Thais
[X] They deserve better media, better government and finally boy bars

a447
January 31st, 2010, 08:06

And I thought I was the only one who picked up on that.

Brad the Impala
January 31st, 2010, 15:07

And I thought I was the only one who picked up on that.

Bless!!

February 2nd, 2010, 15:10
Maybe you get off on police uniforms, I don't know.I can vouch for that!