PDA

View Full Version : electronics

paperboy
January 21st, 2010, 17:18
Hi everyone

was thinking to myself, that i need a new laptop, so the question is, are these sort of things cheeper in thialand or im i just as well buying it in europe. Any advise would be great thanks

paperboy

Patexpat
January 21st, 2010, 17:29
I don't think there is much in it ... Thailand can be expensive due to import duties; def cheaper to buy in the states tho.

As important is the warranty - if you are splitting your time between Europe and here then make sure it has an international warranty.

January 21st, 2010, 18:21
Best place is in LA, at a Fry's Electronics. Laptops are at least $50 cheaper than in Manhattan or Spain.

cdnmatt
January 22nd, 2010, 00:20
Maybe I'm wrong, but I always generally thought the prices in both sides of the world were the same, but the laptops you get in SE Asia were a little newer and more powerful? You're looking at around $1000 - $1200 for a decent laptop, and I always thought the one you'd buy in say Thailand for $1200, would be a little better than the one in Canada for $1200. Same price, but the one you get in Thailand, Canada would begin selling in 3 - 6 months. No?

Oh, that and if you flash a wad of cash around the computer store in Asia, it's much easier to get freebies with your laptop vs. Canada. You can almost always get a free leather carrying case for the laptop, maybe a couple memory sticks, a nice mouse, etc... for free. Salesmen in Canada don't / can't do that.

January 22nd, 2010, 01:00
A few years ago you could save some extra money in Pantip Plaza by buying a computer with no Microsoft Operating System loaded. It was still from the reputable manufacturers but no license fee had been paid to Microsoft so it was cheaper. It usually came loaded with a freeware version of Linux.

You then bought the Operating System separately yourself which, being Thailand, you could get for very little...

Never fancied it myself and I don't know if they still do it.

January 22nd, 2010, 01:18
The cheapest way to obtain a laptop in Thailand is to bang some old, fat, hairy farang twice nightly - and whisper sweet nothings in his "good" ear in between times!

Any GoGo boy could tell you that!

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

January 22nd, 2010, 04:09
Hi everyone

was thinking to myself, that i need a new laptop, so the question is, are these sort of things cheeper in thialand or im i just as well buying it in europe. Any advise would be great thanks

paperboy

For me it is cheaper to buy in Australia.
Plus I have no warranty / servicing issues.

Patexpat
January 22nd, 2010, 10:46
Maybe I'm wrong, but I always generally thought the prices in both sides of the world were the same, but the laptops you get in SE Asia were a little newer and more powerful? You're looking at around $1000 - $1200 for a decent laptop, and I always thought the one you'd buy in say Thailand for $1200, would be a little better than the one in Canada for $1200. Same price, but the one you get in Thailand, Canada would begin selling in 3 - 6 months. No?

Oh, that and if you flash a wad of cash around the computer store in Asia, it's much easier to get freebies with your laptop vs. Canada. You can almost always get a free leather carrying case for the laptop, maybe a couple memory sticks, a nice mouse, etc... for free. Salesmen in Canada don't / can't do that.

Thailand gets new models LATER than the west and many other parts of SE Asia .... prime markets get the goodies first, then when manufacturing has the capacity it filters down the chain ... and the low end models still come with DOS or LINUX .....

January 22nd, 2010, 19:56
A friend told me that there is a shop in downtown Lisbon that sells late model HP's for about USD18 cheaper than you can get in Marbella. Are you near Portugal? Tukcom in Pattaya is also really good, but you'd have to wait until May when you get here. I could check out the prices if you have the model number...just let me know.

January 22nd, 2010, 20:08
The cheapest way to obtain a laptop in Thailand is to bang some old, fat, hairy farang twice nightly - and whisper sweet nothings in his "good" ear in between times!

Any GoGo boy could tell you that!

Brill, and so true.

Paperboy, you don't say where you are, or will be traveling from. If you are travelling from say Europe, a stop over in Dubai might be worth while as they have quite a good duty free shopping mall