PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya Hotel PLUS more questions

a447
January 20th, 2010, 20:46
After 6 weeks freezing my ass off in Europe, i have decided to go back to Thailand again to warm up a little. I'm doing my usual trip - time divided between Bangkok and pattaya. I've just booked the Rose Hotel in Bangkok (always had a great time there), and was going to book the Ambiance in pattaya, where I usually stay. However, as i tend to spend most evenings in Sunee Plaza, can anyone recommend a hotel there? (budget up to 2000 bt per night). I did a quick search on the forum but couid not find any useful info.
Thanks.

cdnmatt
January 20th, 2010, 20:50
You can't beat Mosaik -- http://www.mosaikpattaya.com/

3 - 5 minute walk, and you're in Sunnee! Make sure to ask for a full week though, and not just a few nights. One time I went in, and said four nights, which came out to 4800 I think (1200/night). Went back and said I'd like it for the full week, and it turned out to be cheaper than four nights!

bing
January 20th, 2010, 21:02
You might like to book a few days at Howards Guest House, Punya has a few superior rooms that are still under your price per day. The neat thing is that Howards is a two minute walk from Crazy Dragon. After you look it over you may decide to spend the rest of your time there.

Dani69
January 21st, 2010, 18:16
Hotel Don Plaza is right in Sunee and looks ok although I have never stayed there take a look here...... http://www.don-plaza-pattaya.com/dpen/accomodation.php hope this helps

a447
January 21st, 2010, 20:06
I walked past the Don Plaza many times last year but never bothered to wander in and take a look around. It always seemed deserted and very quiet - in fact, I thought it might be closed. The Mosaik apartments sound good but I don't feel secure bringing a "friend" back to an apartment. In a hotel, at least the people at the front desk are there to look out for you by keeping the guy's ID. I did spot a new boutique style hotel (on second Rd, I think) but can't remember the name. Does anyone know it? And is it gay-friendly? Nothing worse than walking into the lobby with a guy and all the straights leering at you. I was actually looking for a place with a swimming pool, as I don't fancy swimming at Jomtien.
While I'm at it, are there any new bars in the Jomtien Complex worth visiting? I noticed Rockhard Boys was closed last year. I will spend most of my time at Krazy Dragon (nice to see one of my "friends" there featuring in KD's video on its website; I spent a lot of time with him) but if I go to the beach it would be nice to drop into a bar nearby.
Also (sorry!).......are there any new bars in BKK Silom area? And how is Solid going these days? And Screwboys? I'm just determined to stay away from Soi Twilight this time.
Can't wait to get back!

January 22nd, 2010, 03:41
You might like to book a few days at Howards Guest House, Punya has a few superior rooms that are still under your price per day. The neat thing is that Howards is a two minute walk from Crazy Dragon. After you look it over you may decide to spend the rest of your time there.

Spend the rest of your time in Krazy Dragon instead of in your "superior room"?

Sounds like a good choice to me!

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

kodiak
January 22nd, 2010, 06:18
However I like Howards generally...and the location is great for me.....the price is right.....and i will probably book there again......I just wish he would get some soft beds......those things are so hard it like sleeping on the floor.....I dont like the beds.

I will give two guys guest house a try this year...i think But a swimming pool sounds nice also...hmm

a447
January 22nd, 2010, 08:47
Scottish-guy...if only I could!
Accommodation next door to KD. Mark, how about it?? You'd make a fortune.
Well, so much for Howards. i was actually seriously considering it, but if the beds are hard, then forget it.
Back to the drawing board.

cdnmatt
January 22nd, 2010, 09:11
Maybe check out Sanya apartments:

http://www.sanya-apartments.com/

I can recommend them as well, as they're excellent. Very clean rooms, and probably three times the size of a typical Mosaik room for half the price. Full kitchen, lots of utensils, good location with lots of convenience stores, pubs, and restaurants right beside you, nice TVs, DVD, wi-fi, leather couches, etc. A little further walk to Sunnee, at about 8 minutes though.

The staff are great, 24x7, and will be happy to photocopy / take the boy's ID. There's even a sign saying if you're being an unknown guest to your room, it's advised that you get the staff to photocopy their ID. At the same time they don't require it, so you have the freedom to do what you want. It's a lady bar, but the staff are Thai, so of course they're great. Then I never had any issues with the farangs with their Thai girls whatsoever. Then again, I don't bring a different boy to the room each night, so it might be a bit different of a scenario if you do. I honesty don't know.

lonelywombat
January 22nd, 2010, 09:12
Whilst this is across the road from Boyztown it is still not a long walk to Sunee and it has a large swimming pool. Absolutely no problem with visitors.

http://www.royalpalaceroyaltwins.com/

a447
January 22nd, 2010, 09:29
Anyone stayed at Two Guys?
Baan Dok Mai looks good. Anyone stayed there?
The Royal Twins aslo looks good but I'd have problems sitting around the pool in a non-gay hotel.

cdnmatt
January 22nd, 2010, 09:30
Baan Dok Mai looks good. Anyone stayed there?

I've stayed there before, but only for a night. Really nice rooms, albeit small. Owner is a great guy, and really friendly.

a447
January 22nd, 2010, 09:47
Thanks, matt. There does not seem to be all that many gay-operated places that appeal to me. I'll give the Baan a go, I think. Just sick of walking every night back to the Ambiance. (Nice hotel, though)

cdnmatt
January 22nd, 2010, 09:58
Thanks, matt. There does not seem to be all that many gay-operated places that appeal to me. I'll give the Baan a go, I think. Just sick of walking every night back to the Ambiance. (Nice hotel, though)

Sounds good! If you're concerned about security though, and like having staff take the boys ID for you, etc., then it's a bad place to go. I think the cafe shuts down around 8pm, and after that, there's no staff at all. You just get a key to the outside door / gate, and let yourself in. No staff to be seen, other than a CCTV camera.

I'd still recommend Mosaik for that type of thing. Buy a few big Leo beers for the security guards, and they'll be more than happy to take care of you. If you want them to take the boy's ID, I'm sure they will. You might have to wake them up, but they'll do it.

ceejay
January 22nd, 2010, 14:19
I stayed in Bann Dok Mai for 6 days last July. Agree with what Matt says - nicely kept rooms but there are no night staff at all. It's safe enough - the street door is heavy and self closing and they use security type keys that can't be copied for the rooms themselves. It's also very central - Sunnee a couple of minutes walk away, Boyztown about 10, and Tuk Com and the Friendship Supermarket both just around the corner. Recommended, so long as you are OK with checking ID cards for yourself. One thing: they asked me to pay on arrival for the whole stay I had booked so have some cash with you when you check in!

donald1
January 22nd, 2010, 14:54
The Royal Twins aslo looks good but I'd have problems sitting around the pool in a non-gay hotel.
I agree with a447. I have stayed at the Welcome Plaza which has a big pool, but very unfriendly atmosphere at the pool.

The pool at TheVenue looks inviting, but can anyone who has stayed there please comment on the activity around the pool. I enjoy sitting around an outdoor pool at a gay resort meeting new people on my holidays. I stayed at a small guesthouse last July with a pool and as great as it was there were only a few rooms so no people to exchange chat with.
Thanks

lonelywombat
January 22nd, 2010, 16:24
Please comment on the activity around the pool. I did not think you were looking for gay action around the pool rather to enjoy yourself , a swim, sunbake and relax.

If gay action around the pool is your thing, Venue is like a kids swimming pool. Quite small.

None of my friends who stay at the Twin Towers have complained about anti gay attitude.

Please be specific about what you want from a hotel pool, then we can answer.

psd1315
January 22nd, 2010, 16:40
I have been staying at the Mosaik the last few weeks, its clean, quiet, perfect location 5 min. walk to boy town, or 5 mins to Sunee, also 1 block away are motorcycle taxis for 50 baht to Jomtien or you can bus baht it for 10 if you can stand sitting in the back of a pickup truck with 8 Russians stuck in a dust storm on the way to and from Jomtie n. Plenty of restaurants around the Mosaik, also new laundry service, clean & fastтАжтАжтАжтАжтАж.. costing me 1,200 per night at the Mosaik versus the 3,400 per night at the Royal for the penthouse with balcony which the Mosaik also has incase your boy likes to smokeтАжтАжin more ways than one. Thanks to the people on the forum for the recommendation. No joiners fee! :hello1:

colmx
January 23rd, 2010, 01:42
I have stayed in the Mosaik on my 2 last visits to Pattaya

Most recent was last week

Neither myself nor my BF felt comfortable on this visit and we will not be returning there - the security gueards (1 in particular) are a pain in the ass

One day they would tell us not to park our motorbike in area x - park in area y
Next day when we park in y they would tell us to park in area x
This went on and on nearly every day we stayed there... some days they would wait until we were practically in our room before telling bf to go back and move the bike.

I also felt very uncomfortable with having (real) police men stationed downstairs most evenings.... I guess they are friends of the security men... some people may like to have the security of the BIB in the area.... Neither myself nor BF trust the BIB so prefer to keep them well away from where we are staying

I didn't take any bar boys back to my room - but I am reliably informed by a (thai) business owner in the area that the BIB are regularly called by security to visit farang guests who have a suspected underage guest... so you should be very careful with checking IDs before bringing anybody back there
(of course you should be careful with IDs everywhere you go!)

A farang and Cambodian friend of Ours came to visit 2 evenings - neither felt comfortable with the scrutiny that they received on arrival to the apartment...

I know this sounds like a silly reason not to stay in the place.... but i come on my hols to relax... not be pestered by "jobsworths"!

goji
January 23rd, 2010, 02:59
Anyone stayed at Two Guys?

Yes. This is a lot cheaper than the Ambience & good value for money. However there is a considerable difference in standard.

I remember the rooms in the Ambience were immaculate thanks to some very conscientious work by the maids.

January 23rd, 2010, 04:08
I have stayed many times in Mercure Pattaya (will also do in feb).
They do not make any problem of taking a boy to your room.
They check and hold their id-card and call you when the boy
leaves the hotel.
In my opinion a gayfriendly place, within walking distance of
boystown (they have a shutlle bus to 2nd road and then
it is opposite) and sunnee (from 2nd road a 5-10 min walk).

colmx
January 23rd, 2010, 05:26
I have stayed many times in Mercure Pattaya (will also do in feb).
They do not make any problem of taking a boy to your room.
They check and hold their id-card and call you when the boy
leaves the hotel

So but to me this is a problem....
I should be free to personally check my guests ID cards and not have some straight security guard look down his nose at both me and my guest and demanding to see his ID...
I find the idea of hotel security holding onto my guests ID card intolerable... if i don't trust my guest it should be up to me to secure my valuables... not up to the security guard to treat my guest like a criminal...

I expect this behaviour in:
1. A newbie hotel like tarntawan/Ambiance/cafe Royale(where it is definately appreciated)
2. Russia

Nowhere else...

kodiak
January 23rd, 2010, 05:47
I do beleive i am safer when security takes the ID card.....This ID card boys need for work......and sometimes boys make loan from each other...they give ID card for collateral.

But make sure security will not give back ID without you there........I have seen where boys can be bad....then just leave while farang is sleeping and security just gives back ID card.....oh yes for sure...

I have not had problem with any security guys so far.......but it is a bit intimidating sometimes....but be nice them and get to know them.....joke with them......if they are awake of course and you will be amazed........I have even given a small tip.......and they are your friend and helpful the rest of your stay......its a tip well spent IMHO

bao-bao
January 23rd, 2010, 06:51
colmx, while youтАЩre certainly entitled to your opinion you seem a little out of bed on this one. IтАЩve never stayed at Mosaik myself, but have heard positive things about it.

If youтАЩre having problems with an employee (at any level) that you canтАЩt civilly resolve on your own, take it to the management. Why allow it to fester for days until something like parking a тАЬmotocyтАЭ sours you on the establishment overall? It sounds like you had more of a problem тАУ for whatever reason тАУ with one of the security guards than anything else there. Without knowing any more about it the parking thing does sound petty.

My guess would be that the management wouldnтАЩt be unhappy with BIB in the lobby and if they were theyтАЩd do something about it.

Many board members here have said they appreciated having ID cards held as a safety feature, and it seems as though thatтАЩs sound advice, unless thereтАЩs the possibility of impropriety (there, Elephantspike, howтАЩs that for dancing around a verboten topic?)

IтАЩve had professional friends come to visit me at hotels (and IтАЩm not talking about flamboyant gogo boys) and have had the desk want to hold their ID cards, to their chagrin. When I spoke to management about it I was given a form to sign saying they would be held harmless if my friend knifed me, stole my wallet or trashed the room. I had no qualms with that and the problem was solved.

colmx
January 23rd, 2010, 07:01
Sorry bao-bao - but where i come from people are "innocent until proven guilty"... since my first stay at tarntawan in Bkk 9 years ago I have never accepted Security guards holding onto my guests ID as appropriate behaviour...and i will still not tolerate it now

As for the security guard issue... surely you have been around long enogh to know that this kind of issue can not be resolved with western methods... A complaint to management would not have brought the issue anywhere... it would simply have turned what was a festering boil into an all out infection...

Instead I chose to follow the Thai way... Tell those who will listen about my experience and refuse to patronise the establishment again
(Same as happened with Dave man Club on this trip)

bao-bao
January 23rd, 2010, 08:35
Sorry bao-bao - but where i come from people are "innocent until proven guilty"... since my first stay at tarntawan in Bkk 9 years ago I have never accepted Security guards holding onto my guests ID as appropriate behaviour...and i will still not tolerate it now

As for the security guard issue... surely you have been around long enogh to know that this kind of issue can not be resolved with western methods... A complaint to management would not have brought the issue anywhere... it would simply have turned what was a festering boil into an all out infection...

Instead I chose to follow the Thai way... Tell those who will listen about my experience and refuse to patronise the establishment again
(Same as happened with Dave man Club on this trip)To be fair, it wasn't about "guilt or innocence", it's a hotel policy based on the ideas I mentioned above. If you wish to stay in a hotel where they simply allow ANYone in, have at it - no skin off my sunburned nose.

As for resolving things in Thailand with "Western methods" I've learned it rarely hurts (and often helps) to calmly present my case before doing the truly Western thing (i.e. becoming confrontational) and expecting things to go as we wish - and then if they don't, throw a fit. Reminds me of the post here where the drunk guy in the bar just kept at it until he got decked. :cheers:

Personally if I can't solve things calmly THEN I feel free to say "mai pen rai" or move on to another restaurant, shop, taxi or hotel. That's more of what I've learned is "the Thai way" - but best of luck with the next place, anyway.

donald1
January 23rd, 2010, 16:09
In answer to lonely wombats question earlier:
When I was asking about the activity around the pool at the Venue I wasn't talking sexual activity. I was talking Social activity. I guess I am one of those rare birds that comes to Pattaya to relax, have down time from my hectic job and unload for a couple weeks. Not sexually.

After a morning / afternoon at the beach I like to lounge around a pool and meet and chat with other travelers and locals, and maybe organize a dinner with new chaps. I am not a drinker so I don't hit the bars for that. I know its strange to some people but I enjoy that part of a Pattaya trip. Have always met new people from around the world while in Pattaya and some have become good friends.
So I guess what i am looking for is a gay hotel with a pool and also interaction with other patrons or locals while relaxing. Lounging at the pool with wifi would be even greater.
Thanks

January 23rd, 2010, 19:08
...So I guess what i am looking for is a gay hotel with a pool and also interaction with other patrons or locals while relaxing. Lounging at the pool with wifi would be even greater.
Thanks

Try the Dusit D2 on 2nd Road Pattaya. Not exclusively gay but very gay friendly and free wifi throughout the hotel and a big pool.

http://www.dusit.com/hotels/thailand/pattaya/dusitd2/index.html

lonelywombat
January 24th, 2010, 05:02
After 6 weeks freezing my ass off in Europe, i have decided to go back to Thailand again to warm up a little. I'm doing my usual trip - time divided between Bangkok and pattaya. I've just booked the Rose Hotel in Bangkok (always had a great time there), and was going to book the Ambiance in pattaya, where I usually stay. However, as i tend to spend most evenings in Sunee Plaza, can anyone recommend a hotel there? (budget up to 2000 bt per night). I did a quick search on the forum but couid not find any useful info.
Thanks.

The above is the original post. Dusit 2 would be near double that rate of >2000 baht per night or more.

January 24th, 2010, 05:41
The question about the beds at Howards is ONE person's opinion. The fact that Howards is nearly always full should indicate that many find the beds not to be a problem.

I have stayed there 3 or 4 times a year since it opened and have never had a complaint. You are near all the action, you have a front desk that reads all the boy's ID cards for you, you can have a great morning breadfast, and you have a good rate!

lonelywombat
January 24th, 2010, 06:56
In answer to lonely wombats question earlier:
When I was asking about the activity around the pool at the Venue I wasn't talking sexual activity. I was talking Social activity. I guess I am one of those rare birds that comes to Pattaya to relax, have down time from my hectic job and unload for a couple weeks. Not sexually.

After a morning / afternoon at the beach I like to lounge around a pool and meet and chat with other travelers and locals, and maybe organize a dinner with new chaps. I am not a drinker so I don't hit the bars for that. I know its strange to some people but I enjoy that part of a Pattaya trip. Have always met new people from around the world while in Pattaya and some have become good friends.
So I guess what i am looking for is a gay hotel with a pool and also interaction with other patrons or locals while relaxing. Lounging at the pool with wifi would be even greater.
Thanks

I only know of one pool that you could do that and that is at Sansuk Sauna and Guest House. The owner of Sansuk also owns Howards. You should be able to compromise by visiting Bondi on the beach at Jomtien

Here is a link to Samsuk Hotel and Sauna

http://www.sansukpattaya.com/guesthouse.php

goji
January 24th, 2010, 16:25
The question about the beds at Howards is ONE person's opinion. The fact that Howards is nearly always full should indicate that many find the beds not to be a problem.

I know someone who moved out of Howards after one night due to the hard beds. That has put me off the idea of staying there.

bing
January 24th, 2010, 18:52
Having stayed at Howards for the past several years, I will attest the bed are firm, but I would not call the beds hard. The most popular selling matresses in USA are disignated as 'firm'. If the pool is an important item for anyone, beware of the pool at the Venue. One time I stated it is the size of a postage stamp, and several became irate. The truth is that it is tiny and you can not lounge by the pool on chairs, but it is a very nice place to enjoy the show at night.

Beachlover
January 24th, 2010, 19:02
I can't believe people are so fussy about their mattresses.

I've stayed in all kinds of places and don't think I ever took notice of whatever mattress I was sleeping on. It's all the same in budget to mid-range hotels. The only thing I have noticed is with the high-end hotels the beds are remarkably comfortable... much more so than I'm used to... like super snug sleeping in a cloud or something.

kodiak
January 25th, 2010, 22:38
Howards beds are in FACT firm to Hard....but i guess many people may like this type of bed......I am not one of them..!! I think many people may look the other way on the beds at Howards because of the great location. But when im usually there for 10 days or more...I will look for a more comfortable option.......But Howards is good in every other way

krobbie
January 26th, 2010, 00:30
My guy and I stayed at Royal Twins 2 years ago and had a great time. I don't particularly want to saunter around and chat to other people but we often were in conversation with the people in our vacinity around the pool. The pool is fantastic and large. The room (standard) was big and comfortable and the small balcony superb for drinks at sundown. Kevin Quill put me onto this place and it met my expectations. The breakfast was also well presented. It is well situated ion my opinion.

Cheers
krobbie

giggsy
January 26th, 2010, 00:36

Not just mattresses - I brought my own pillow with me..

kodiak
January 26th, 2010, 00:44
Yes , usually have to ask for a couple extra pillow......they are so small and not much too them......And would be nice if they had better bath towels also....very small...and not very soft.....

But again the location is ideal fro me...and would give it another go ....but i will try Two Guys so i have something to compare.......i think they are just down to soi..?

paperboy
January 26th, 2010, 01:04
hi everyone
ive looked and looked, read and read, listend and listend
so so so
at the end of the day
i have decided on the welcome plaza.
its my first trip to thialand, so i was a
bit worried to where to stay but after reading this web site
and a few more, i have decided on the welcome plaza

January 26th, 2010, 02:23
I have tried many of the not-so-expensive hotels in Pattaya, and come to the conclusion that Royal Twins Palace is the one that gives me most value for money.

Some of its benefits:

- good location
- big, clean and quiet rooms (all with balcony)
- nice unobstructed view from window/balcony
- efficient, quiet aircond
- professional and helpful staff
- rooms are thoroughly cleaned every day, including fresh sheets and towels
- big pool
- gym (tiny)
- free beach towels
- no extra charge for overnight guest
- free parking
- reasonable rate: around 1400 baht, breakfast buffet included

January 26th, 2010, 03:10
I have tried many of the not-so-expensive hotels in Pattaya, and come to the conclusion that Royal Twins Palace is the one that gives me most value for money....
- reasonable rate: around 1400 baht, breakfast buffet included

That's quite a difference from the minimum 2100B on the website - did you get that rate direct from the hotel or through an agency? presumably that rate was for a "superior room"?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

paperboy
January 26th, 2010, 03:36
yes that seems very very cheep
ive got 895 for welcome plaza
thought it was a great deal

January 27th, 2010, 01:36
I didn┬┤t book ahead, as the prices on their website (and through agents) are higher. As a "walk-in" customer I was offered the rate 1390 baht. This is the price they offer for all walk-in customers, and it doesn┬┤t seem to be negotiable. The front-desk staff simply doesn┬┤t have the mandate for that.
The hotel has 350+ rooms, so unless it is new years eve or something similar, they will most likely have vacancies.
I should mention that in order to get that rate you need to become a "member", which costs 100(?) baht. But already after one nights stay that amount has been saved, due to the member discount 150 (?) baht.

Furhtermore: After having stayed 15 nights in a row, you get one additional night for free.

I normally stay in a "superior" room; a couple of rooms on each floor are slightly bigger ("deluxe"), but costs around 500 baht more...

January 27th, 2010, 02:27
yes that seems very very cheep
ive got 895 for welcome plaza
thought it was a great deal

Yes, thats a good deal. Well done.

:hello1: :hello1:

joe552
January 27th, 2010, 04:31
I've always stayed at Welcome Plaza when in Pattaya (5/6 times) and wouldn't stay anywhere else. The location is perfect, the pool area is a great place to relax in the afternoon, and it's only a short stumble from Boyztown late at night. Sunee is maybe 10 minutes walk. Reception staff are not the friendliest, but who cares? Rooms are a good size, clean and reasonably well maintained. Can't go wrong for the price, in my view.

Beachlover
January 27th, 2010, 17:35

Not just mattresses - I brought my own pillow with me..

Well... I admit I find most hotel pillows a bit too soft and fluffy. I like a firm hard one (pillow that is). But even then, it doesn't bother me much. I can sleep anywhere... I've no problems dozing off comfortably for 7 hours in an economy class seat.

Maybe I need a better bed at home. Then I would be more fussy.

January 28th, 2010, 00:24
........I like a firm hard one ......

We would never have guessed!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

witchhunt
February 11th, 2010, 12:08
Anyone know of a special deal for April in a 5 star hotel Beach Rd, near Hard Rock

I want a good hotel with a big swimming pool and I dont like Welcome Plaza

Shuee
February 11th, 2010, 23:33
Anyone know of a special deal for April in a 5 star hotel Beach Rd, near Hard Rock

I want a good hotel with a big swimming pool and I dont like Welcome Plaza

try montien hotel but not 5 stars