PDA

View Full Version : Ambiance Hotel, Pattaya

April 15th, 2006, 22:35
A friend has asked me what I know about the Ambiance Hotel in Pattaya. Since I have never been to Pattaya my answered tended to zero. Is it as fabulous as its Web page and sundry reviews proclaim it to be? Or is it like the Suriwong Hotel in Bangkok once was - wall-to-wall hookers in the coffee shop, hot-and-cold running boys on the stairs? Replies by any of mrsydney (in whatever incarnation), LMTU or balziel won't be of any help as they are on my IGNORE list (along with Adenoids))

April 15th, 2006, 22:50
Ambiance hotel , i did stay there one month, but 7 years ago. I never forget the unfriendly staff.

Ambiance hotel has a new owner , Swiss people did pay a lot off money to take over !

Tell your friend Flamingo hotel in Pattaya have the same standard, staff is a lot more friendly, the hotel is more cheap !

Flamingo is near Sunnee plaza, walking 10 minutes to Boys town.

http://www.flamingohotelthailand.com/home/nl/index.html

April 15th, 2006, 23:03
[quote]Replies by any of mrsydney (in whatever incarnation), LMTU or balziel won't be of any help as they are on my IGNORE list (along with Adenoids)

Slowly Colonel. You will be left talking to yourself at this rate.

April 15th, 2006, 23:20
Replies by any of mrsydney (in whatever incarnation), LMTU or balziel won't be of any help as they are on my IGNORE list (along with Adenoids)Slowly Colonel. You will be left talking to yourself at this rate.I'll least I won't hear anything surprising. However, I believe that (apart from Adenoids) they're all the same person

April 15th, 2006, 23:33
Slowly Colonel. You will be left talking to yourself at this rate.

A Colonel ? Pretending to be a Colonel. He served Bush without stars and stripes. Read his posts and find out " the wind bull". Cleaning toilets for the army USA . What a lucky gay, what life can brings him more ? A Colonel ? Anyone on this board believe this ?

thanatorn-old
April 15th, 2006, 23:36
This may be a first posting for me, but I have been following the board and its predecessor for several years, so no immature comments from those that everyone should have on their ignore list. I don,t know whether to laugh or cry when you get postings "I stayed there...about seven years ago" - where is the relevance???

As far as the Ambiance goes, I refuse to stay anywhere else. The rooms are a good size, clean, location is perfect, and there is no street noise coming into the rooms. The staff have always gone out of their way to be friendly, attentive and efficient. The 24 hour coffee shop is an added pleasure. The owners may have changed but everything hasn,t changed for the worse. The general manager (Jim) is great and although in the background is always at hand to help or advise, no matter how painful you may be. The prices are a little higher than you can get elsewhere but then you are paying for what you get.

April 15th, 2006, 23:55
I always stay at the Ambiance. Jim and his staff are great.

Great location, great service, very nice rooms. I have found the staff very friendly and accommodating. They often do many little things to make my stay better without being asked. My guests are always treated with the utmost courtesy.

There are less expensive accommodations, but year after year I come back to the Ambiance because of the quality of the service.

April 15th, 2006, 23:56
I'll least I won't hear anything surprising. However, I believe that (apart from Adenoids) they're all the same person

As stupid as you are, we are not all the same ! I did go Pattaya , people have seen me, same they have seen Sydney !

April 16th, 2006, 00:02
I always stay at the Ambiance. Jim and his staff are great.

Jim and his staff did like your money ! You not have seen ?

April 16th, 2006, 00:14
This may be a first posting for me, but I have been following the board and its predecessor for several years, so no immature comments from those that everyone should have on their ignore list. I don,t know whether to laugh or cry when you get postings "I stayed there...about seven years ago" - where is the relevance???

As far as the Ambiance goes, I refuse to stay anywhere else. The rooms are a good size, clean, location is perfect, and there is no street noise coming into the rooms. The staff have always gone out of their way to be friendly, attentive and efficient. The 24 hour coffee shop is an added pleasure. The owners may have changed but everything hasn,t changed for the worse. The general manager (Jim) is great and although in the background is always at hand to help or advise, no matter how painful you may be. The prices are a little higher than you can get elsewhere but then you are paying for what you get.

It is your 3 post not your first !

Bob
April 16th, 2006, 01:42
In answer to the original post (as if that's a prerequisite for you, Bazoom!), I've stayed there 4 times over the last 6 years and, while the Ambience certainly isn't a 4 or 5 star place, its certainly an excellent location, staff have always been friendly and helpful to myself and my friends, rooms are adequate, and price has been fair. I always enjoy sitting on the porch and having a few drinks while ogling the comings and goings of Boyztown.

Mi Cow Chai-old
April 16th, 2006, 01:51
I have stayed at the Ambiance several times a year for almost 15 years. It is in the heart of the action and close to everything else. You meet many wounderful like minded people. The staff and service are excellent.

bing
April 16th, 2006, 03:35
Is the Ambiance a nice hotel. Yes, especially if you are new to town and want to be at ground zero. When the guys talk of being a bit more expensive than others, that is true but compared to a beach location in many other parts of the world, it is not expensive at all.
I have also stayed at Cafe Royal across the street, it also is a fine place. You won't go wrong suggesting either hotel. You might suggest to your friend who is coming for the first time,,, three words..... location, location, location.

April 16th, 2006, 03:44
You might suggest to your friend who is coming for the first time,,, three words..... location, location, location.Thanks - he's more likely to be put off by mi chow chai's "You meet many wounderful like minded people"

April 16th, 2006, 04:12
Homintern said:

A friend has asked me what I know about the Ambiance Hotel in Pattaya. Since I have never been to Pattaya my answered tended to zero.

If we belive your answer on Richards Pub about you being a shareholder then you are none other than the horrible VICTORIA who once owned Le Bordeau Restaurant. It failed - falled flat on its face - crashed and burned - went down the toilet - belly up. Because you are such a horrible unlikeable old C*** (in your own words). And your long time boyfriend, Nipon, left you for the same reason.
And if you are Victoria then you are a liar about never being to Pattaya - we've seen you there many times sat on the terrace of some Boyztown venue and being your usual unpleasant self.

As for Ambiance - I'd stay there any time if I did not have my own little pied a terre down by the seaside and I would recommend the lovely Avril-Ambiance or the Charlotte-Cafe Royale to any good friend but not to the horrible old Hilda Homintern because she is such a C*** and because I have more respect for the owners and managers of those lovely hotels.

April 16th, 2006, 04:19
If we belive your answer on Richards Pub about you being a shareholderThe only thing about me that you can believe with any certainty is that there is nothing I tell you about myself in which you should place the slightest credence - including what I have just told you

April 16th, 2006, 04:40
I have stayed at the Ambiance and the Cafe Royale. I would now stay only at the Ambiance - the rooms are very good, the bathrooms fine and the staff have always been friendly. Getting the bed turned down and the towels changed in the evening has been an added bonus. Its location is perfect and noise levels from the street are acceptable.

In fairness, I stayed at the Cafe Royale a long time ago. The rooms were OK, but the bathrooms were not acceptable. I know that they have renovated since then - so perhaps the bathrooms are better now.

sydneyboy
April 16th, 2006, 05:25
I stayed at the Ambience about 3 years ago. I had the Penthouse Suite the only room available for the period I was there, I booked in about April for the Christmas New Year period. It is popular! I have no complaints about the quality of the decor, it was spotlessly clean and the bathroom very modern. The service was fine. My only complaint is I was on the top floor and there is no elevator and I was on (from memory) the 4th or 5th floor.Good exercise! The breakfast was part of the deal but included one cup of coffee, if you wanted a refill you paid extra. I remember things like that. As I said I have no major complaints but the web site gives a very exaggerated view of the place, as they usually do. I have on more recent visits stayed at the Rabbit Resort which is wonderful.

April 16th, 2006, 06:27
I always stay at the Ambience when im in Pattaya. The staff have never been rude to me and ive been going there 10years on and off. Ok price is higher than most gay guest houses but as one poster said you pays your money and you get the stuff. Cafe Royale is also a great place however Ambience remains my first choice

April 16th, 2006, 08:55
Except for the comments about Madame Jim, of course, much of what is glowingly said about Ambiance could also be said about Cafe Royale across the street: great location, wonderful staff, quiet well-decorated rooms, etc.

Before I moved to Jomtien, my home away from home in Pattaya was Cafe Royale. For my first visit (10 or 12 years ago?) I tossed a coin whether to stay at Ambience or Cafe Royale as both came highly recommended by friends who were Pattaya regulars. I chose Cafe Royale and stuck with them, but it seems I would have been equally as pleased with Ambience.

Just to let lurking Pattaya-virgins know: there is a choice. ;-)

Bob
April 16th, 2006, 09:18
Just to let lurking Pattaya-virgins know ...

Okay, your next mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find a virgin in Pattaya!

(yea, yea, I understand you meant those who've never entered the nether regions of Pattaya but there was something about the juxaposition of "Pattaya" and "virgin" that tickled my meager mental fancy).

atri1666
April 16th, 2006, 11:56
For my part let them have their fun staying at overprriced gayhotels. The roomprices not include taxes and breakfast--they not have lift and swimming pool. I can not find any reason to stay at Ambiance or at Cafe Royale apart from location. The minimum i expect is the included breakfastbuffet without charging every cup of coffee and every slice of bread.

bkkguy
April 16th, 2006, 12:13
three words..... location, location, location.

for a beach resort, I would have thought location near the beach would be preferred - how many Ambiance customers go to Pattaya Beach during the day? just about all baht bus it over the hill to Jomtien. and I doubt if many run the gauntlet of the katoeys, hookers and druggies on the Pattaya beachfront of an evening!

"ground zero", "close to everything", "heart of Boyztown" - a heart getting closer to cardiac failure every day given the increasing popularity of Sunee and Jomtien

but of course we should not feed the trolls - I suspect the Colonel was just stirring with this question!

bkkguy

April 16th, 2006, 13:04
I have stayed at the Ambiance twice. The first time I stayed was during my first visit to Pattaya and indeed Thailand. I had originally booked Howards but found the constant attention of the boys at Howard's far too overwhelming for my first trip (grabbing you, following you around, knocking on your door and making internal calls in the early hours). Ambiance proved to be a little more expensive but more comfortable and relaxing for a first time visitor.

I did find that the location was excellent and I spent most of my time (evenings) in Boyztown.

On subsequent visits I have moved more towards living outside Pattaya, the last two times in Jomtien. I find that there is often a nicer breeze, is less crowded and feels cleaner. Whilst the night life in Jomtien cannot match that in Sunee or Boyztown, it is still nice for a quiet night out. If yoiu need the bright lights of Pattaya, paying 10 or 20 baht for a bus baht, which come along every few seconds, is not over the top.

Ambiance I found pleasant, the staff very helpful and friendly, Madame Jim a sweetheart and the rooms good (if small for the cheapest standard room). The location is the thing still for Ambiance and I would have no problem in recommending it to anyone.

April 16th, 2006, 14:02
There is, however, one final question. My friend's ticker is not what it was, so between screwing the boys and climbing the stairs we're likely to lose him to a coronary, I suspect. He's going to book a one-bedroom suite, so he tells me. Are they all on a higher level, does anyone know?

As for the suggestion that I am merely stirring the pot with this thread, pshaw - the topic is too broad for a Forum tease. Had I included a line about non-smoking rooms, now - that would have been a clue to my state of mind

April 16th, 2006, 14:57
There is, however, one final question. My friend's ticker is not what it was, so between screwing the boys and climbing the stairs we're likely to lose him to a coronary, I suspect.

I once saw a lady boy help an elderly farang down the stairs at Ambiance--No, not the 'quick way': directly to the nearest ATM. So very kind of her.

The only thing about me that you can believe with any certainty is that there is nothing I tell you about myself in which you should place the slightest credence - including what I have just told you

Thanks for the best laugh of the week! (BTW: same-same me.)

I always recommend a Soi Sahm hotel to first-time visitors: Easy to get out & about from there--And, hopefully; keeps them out of the place where I stay. Anyway, who would want to go to a place frequented by me?

April 17th, 2006, 02:37
Have seen the Ambiance hotel has a lot off " we did like to stay there so much " ! That madam Jim is not my cup off thea . But if you crew like to stay there " up to you ", enjoy, it is your Holiday !

April 17th, 2006, 06:23
Maybe not your cup of tea,but i find Madame Jim very polite.I like the bitch.Always smiles at me and says hello.I like people who can get along with everyone and she is one that can do that

I am sure Madame Jim can get along with everyone and you, smiles to you and says hello !

I not have more comments !

April 17th, 2006, 09:18
Location isn't everything. Are you guys too lazy to walk a bit or take a taxi for only 10 baht? Overpriced, overrated. Still, up to you.

jolyjacktar
April 17th, 2006, 17:48
I agree get off your backsides and walk!!!!! The Ambience was ok when i stayed 1 night. However the Standard rooms are very exspensive as there so small and enclossed. The window looks directly out to the dirty back of the next building. Yuck. For the bht 1177 i paid inc tax i think you can do a lot better for the money. The breakfast was also a little to much for the portion you got.
I now pay about 850bt and get double the size room and a brekki, and its 7 minutes taxi bus from pattayaland bars.

jolyjacktar
April 17th, 2006, 20:49
I certainly dont have back street coakroach rooms. And my point is the old saying of " you get wat you pay fore " im afraid can also be used to get a small pokey room for more dosh.I said i pay bt 850 and get a room thats 2 times the size of Ambience Standard. And before you say cockroach again i know for a fact both Ambience and Cafe Royale have roaches in the rooms ( thats fact mate ). Most rooms in Thailand suffer from somthing not nice. I stayed in the Royal Garden now known as the Marriott. And the room i was put in had lots of those very Small ants on the floor and on the dresser. Ive stayed in Dussit hotel and had ants also in the shower room. So you pay for what you get doesnt rub with me matey.
All my point is that you dont have to get a second rate room for less than the Ambience rate. By the way there Superior Delux rooms are still smaller than my Room i get for BHT 850. AND I HAVE A SEAVIEW.

April 17th, 2006, 23:52
thats fact mate .

Or as your other incarnations would say 'fair dinkum' :bounce:

SteveSF-old
April 18th, 2006, 13:47
On my last visit to Pattaya -- less than 2 months ago -- I also stayed at the Ambiance, since Cafe Royal was fully booked. I was treated quite well; and since the superior deluxe room that I had booked was unavailable, I was upgraded to a suite for the lesser rooms price. The newer rooms at both establishments are well furnished and quite pleasant. I recommend both for newbies, and for those that want to be close to the action. While you do pay more, for many of us it is money well spent given the superior accommodations, location and service.

April 18th, 2006, 17:35
And clearly paying those prices keeps out some of the riff-raff from this Forum?

April 19th, 2006, 06:16
This is most definately my first post on this site. All I can say is that those that knock Ambiance must be either blind or mistaken. An ex resident of Pattaya in the eighties, I saw Boyztown emerge. All these years later. And I am a hotelier, I would have no hesitance in recommending both Ambiance and indeed Le Cafe Royale, for different reasons. Over the last three years I have stayed in both many many times. All for longer periods. The staff could't do enough. The rooms in the Ambiance are of a high standard, and in my experience not many chambermaids would wait til late afternoon for me to rise after a latenight room party, after their hours of work. Such was the dedication of Ambiance maids. As for the management. Over the years in hotels I have also still to see a hotel operating as a charity. Lot of charlies around. methink. Not wishing to upset anyone's applecart I still could not stand up without putting these points to right. Keep up the good work Jim me old mate. And indeed Ian and Robbie across the road.

atri1666
April 19th, 2006, 09:50
It is up to you to recommend both hotels but i dont like to pay ca. 1200 baht for a rabbit box named "Standard" when i can have 68m┬▓ appartment in jomtien complex condotel for about 500-700 baht per night with kitchen-living room-dvd+cd-player and big balcony. Just apart from location nobody can tell me any really reason to stay there.

April 20th, 2006, 14:22
DELETED

April 20th, 2006, 19:36
My friend has made his booking. As he's somewhat demanding in his requirements for good service, I'll post his comments once he's been there (and gone)

April 21st, 2006, 14:30
I always wondered why those poofs in Boyztown are different to the poofs in Sunee Plaza.

In Boyztown they hold their shirt tails up--So they don't--Ouch! Oh! I have a problem with strawberry seeds!--get in the way.

Men are men in Sunnee. They have more grit--And like more grit--so they leave their shirt tails down--And often wear homespun, hop sacking--Arghh!--burlap (Also good for grinding off warts--But the laundry ladies hate it.) or, even chicken suits!

Dboy
May 6th, 2006, 06:24
I had originally booked Howards but found the constant attention of the boys at Howard's far too overwhelming for my first trip (grabbing you, following you around, knocking on your door and making internal calls in the early hours).

You should have seen Howards during Songkran. Oh my! The rooftop party was wild.

That's one thing I've learned about Howards..I like staying there, but I bring guys back from elsewhere. Best to completely ignore the in-house ones or they will NEVER leave you alone.

Dboy

bing
May 6th, 2006, 09:23
I am sure Jim can defend himself or herself depending how you find him dressed. I find him most personable. Last year I signed up for one of the Charity banquets at the Ambiance and Jim sold me the ticket. Later when I won a door prize, Jim said to me, something like "How nice, you will have something to remember this trip by". Being congenial is a state of mind, Jim has it. If he is not your cup of tea, move on, but I must say I find Jim to be a pleasant person to be around.