View Full Version : Hong Kong

Surfcrest
January 18th, 2010, 11:03
Hong Kong

IтАЩve been passing through Hong Kong for quite a few years and still recall the old airport on the east side of KowloonтАжthose landings right through the city, passing women hanging their laundry out on buildings as low as we were flyingтАж.or so it seemed. I canтАЩt even count the times IтАЩve passed through with only stopping occasionally and only for a very quick visitтАжтАж..if anything at all.

I was able to spend a little extra time in Hong Kong this year, for me a great stop over for picking up a few things. One of the fewтАЭ must doтАЭ tourist attractions in Hong Kong is undoubtedly the Peak. It was quite interesting for me, finding a photographer up there selling photographs of some of the same planes I mentioned earlier, only from the perspective of the people on the ground or in buildings, witnessing these planes so low as though they were part of the harbour traffic. I think, what is the chance of me having been in any of those photographs by virtue of the 747 I was passing over in.

The airport is quite a bit west of Kowloon now, way out on Lantau Island. ItтАЩs a beautiful airport with high ceilings with good air and a nice sense of space. A taxi will cost you and arm and maybe two legs or you can opt for a Hotel bus that will get you the doorstep of most of the big hotels and quite a few of the smaller placesтАж.albeit not all. For the distance alone, this will take a bit of time, not to mention your time in the city if your hotel doesnтАЩt happen to be one of the earlier drop points and rush hour traffic. The train though, is probably the better best optionтАжespecially for speed, if you donтАЩt mind the taxi ride for the last little bit from one of the Stations (Tsing Yi, Kowloon and finally Hong Kong Island). There are plenty of taxis in Hong Kong. Most are red, theyтАЩre bigger than ThailandтАжso youтАЩll get a lot more luggage in and I didnтАЩt find them expensive at all compared to North American standards. They all have bungee cords to hold the trunk down, if you are a mega shopper like us, or travel heavy.

You can buy a variety of cards at the Airport Express counter that will allow you a one-way, roundtrip on the train, 3 days of MRT use, the ability to use it for almost any other local travel mode (Ferry, Tram, Bus). You can also load money onto it and use it as a one touch pay card at many stores where you might make smaller purchasesтАж.and at many fast food joints (if you must). The MRT works the same way in HK as it does in Bangkok; you touch your card in and out for the fare calculation. The MRT is the subway, but you have to be careful of the word тАЬSubwayтАЭ in Hong KongтАжbecause the MRT is never referred to as the тАЬSubwayтАЭ. In fact, you will see signs with arrows pointing you to тАЬSubwayтАЭ when in fact they are only taking you through a tunnel under a busy street where pedestrian crossings may not exist at street level. ItтАЩs best to familiarize yourself with the red symbol of the MRT, as some of the access points blend into the landscape and are easily missed.

Link for official MTR site
http://www.mtr.com.hk/

Link for airport travel pass
http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/airport_express/aepass_index.html

Link for Octopus card for HK travel
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=octopus+card&meta=&aq=9&oq=octop

Transit fares are based on the mode of transport and the distance travelled. Double Decker trams are a fraction of a dollar, quite convenient for travelling on the Hong Kong side and a fun to ride outside of rush hour. These are supplemented by the Double Decker bus systemтАжthese giants weaving through narrow lanes and tight corners at harrowing speeds on both sides of the water. The signage is clear, in Chinese and English.

Many in Hong Kong speak English just fine. Once you get out of the traditional areas where tourists might not pass or into the cheaper eateries, youтАЩll hope there are some photos that you recognize on the menu that you can point to, if they donтАЩt speak enough English. The same applies to Thailand IтАЩve found, again off the beaten track. We had no language concerns or barriers which was a great convenience. My bf was born and raised in Hong KongтАж..VancouverтАЩs true motherland.

This visit I stayed on the Kowloon side, near Jordan Station. This is within walking distance of the Temple Street night market and a short taxi ride from Kowloon Station and the connection to the Airport. The red line / green line of the MRT can take you to most of the areas you as a tourist might need to get to. The Temple Street market is mainly a night thing, but there are no shortages of other good outdoors markets, including Sham Shui Po, Prince Edward, Mong Kok earlier in the day. Mong Kok on the Kowloon side and Causeway Bay on the Hong Kong side are great places for shopping and hanging out with the young, cute and hip. Nathan Road will also take you to the tip of Kowloon, by the Peninsula Hotel, through the тАЬSubwayтАЭ to the HK Museum of Art and the view of Hong Kong Island. Each night at 8 PM a different light and sound show of the already spectacularly lit buildings on both the Hong Kong and Kowloon sides. A good spot to see the lights from the Hong Kong side would be near the Convention Center.

There are quite a few gay establishments scattered on both the Kowloon and Hong Kong sides. For up to date information on whatтАЩs open and what days to go, check out:

http://sqzm14.ust.hk/hkgay/
GLB Hong Kong site

Make sure you check out what night each establishment is hoping, or you may be disappointed.

The city is set up for some great eating and at all prices. Our general thumb rule is to look in on the busy places, if the people look happyтАжgive it a go. Quite often there will be some advertising, specials, maybe even the menu and some or all of that might be in English. Although pricey, Soho has some of the best restaurants for international cuisine and fusion. There is no shortage of great Dim Sum places to go in the morning, cafes for a quick lunch and Hot Pot places for long drawn out dinners over drinks. ThereтАЩs a lot more hype about the late night outdoor eateries along the Temple Street market than they deserve. It is a nice place to stop off though for a cheap late night beer after having taken in enough of the market.

There are a few standard tourist attractions in HK including Disneyland, Ocean Park, the Peak. The Mainland Chinese make up a huge part of the HK tourist population and so going to these venues will have you neck deep with their quirky ways. The tram to the Peak is a must do thing, for the view alone both day and night or both. For a different view of the city, try the observation deck (although only on the 57th floor) of the IFC building.

Hong Kong is a relatively short (2 hourтАЩs and change) flight from Bangkok. The climate can be quite a bit cooler than Thailand, so check ahead; you might need a sweater or jacketтАж.especially at night. The cost of things in Thailand could be as little as a third the cost of Hong Kong. I find it quite affordable though compared to Vancouver, an easy place to load up on things.

The Hong Kong boys are some of the best looking in my opinion of all Asia with Chiang Mai boys a close secondтАж.but thatтАЩs only my tastes talking.

Tall slim boys with creamy white skin, delicate features, almond eyes, driving luxury sedans, and wearing the finest clothesтАж.this the Hong Kong I know.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/Sawatdee/December2010.jpg

January 18th, 2010, 15:04
Thanks, Surfcrest, for the fantastic, informative post. I love Hong Kong and consider Hong Kong boys to be the most beautiful in Asia on a consistent basis. They dress well, groom well and have a special cache about them- whether they are sweaty workmen and delivery guys working barechested or snazzy young business executives.

I never did experience the old airport, having first visited HK in 2003, but I can imagine what a trip it must have been! I've played tourist since at least a dozen times, and between marvelling at the architecture, natural beauty and the world's best transportation system I can't think of a city I'd rather live in someday. The town has a buzz that's unbelievable, filled with great shopping, eating and plenty of entertainment.

The gay side of town has been difficult for me to navigate because the main visibility is in the clubs and bars that don't necessarily attract your regular HK young people and aren't necessarily great places for middleaged foreigners to mingle. Booze is expensive and the venues are far and few between. Must be nice having a HK bf to show you around town, but it will probably be awhile before the gay scene totally shakes the old timey morals of the anti-buggery law days of colonialism. Many guys I've talked to say it's real hard to carry on a private lifestyle, whatwith the way HK is a 'small town' where everyone seems to know everyone in a way you don't find in other big cities.

Surfcrest
January 18th, 2010, 20:48
Here's a few more Hong Kong Photos:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/Sawatdee/Cover2010Generic.jpg

From the Peak

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/Sawatdee/June2010.jpg

Hong Kong Skyline by day

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/Sawatdee/September2010.jpg

Hong Kong Skyline by day

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/Sawatdee/August2010Kowloon.jpg

Kowloon Skyline late afternoon

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/Sawatdee/November2010HongKong.jpg

Sheung Wan District Hong Kong

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/Sawatdee/March2010Tram.jpg

A tram along Hennessey Road, Hong Kong

Enjoy,

Surfcrest

January 18th, 2010, 23:12
I can't think of a city I'd rather live in someday. The town has a buzz that's unbelievable, filled with great shopping, eating and plenty of entertainment.

Agreed as far as the "buzz" is concerned, JL, but living there is very different (although I am one of those people who can't think of any city I'd like to live in, rather than work in). I was first there 25 years before you, and I have lived and worked there a few times, for a number of years. The biggest difference between living in HK, at least in the city (either HK island or Kowloon) as the vast majority do, and being there on holiday, is that there is so little difference in the living arrangements! Accomodation is so expensive that apart from for a very few, or for those living on the islands or in the New Territories, it means that such things as dinner parties, entertaining at home, garden parties, etc, as many are used to in the West, are simply not possible. In some ways this is a good thing - dining out is the norm for dinner parties and entertaining, so there are a vast number of restaurants to choose from (predominantly Chinese, obviously, as that is their main market), but in other ways it can be very claustrophobic.

When I last worked there I lived on a closed nature reserve about 20 minutes from Kowloon and HK Island by boat, which gave me the best of both worlds. Jackie Chan was one of the very few people who did not work there allowed access simply because it was virtually the only place in HK where he could get any peace, quiet and privacy and he would have been the first to agree with your views on the problems of a "private lifestyle". For most HK Chinese, who made up 99% of those I worked with and 100% of those working directly for me, they do not consider this a problem as it is what they have been used to all their lives, but the expats seem to find it more difficult to deal with. For most HK Chinese life is simply about making money and showing it off, as my senior manager explained to me over our usual working breakfast with a dozen of the senior management, the day after the first (and only) direct elections for LEGCO. It turned out he was the only one of them who had voted, and that was only because I had asked him if he was going to the day before so he had felt that he should; as far as they and (judging by the minimal turnout) most HK Chinese were concerned the only freedom they wanted was freedom to make money first, and freedom to enjoy life with their families second - anything else was best left up to others, as it always had been.

Hong Kong boys? HK is one of the few places where I have been approached quite openly in public areas and for no apparent reason by young Asian "yuppies" - one of the funniest was in Ocean Terminal when one HK guy who was about 20 or 21 stepped in front of me on the escalator and simply asked "Hi, are you gay? Please say you are!". He later assumed that because I was one of the few people in HK without a mobile phone that I could not afford one, so he repeatedly offered to buy me one so that he could call me - trying to explain that I had no need for one, even though virtually everyone down to the most junior person working for me had one, was just another of those uncrossable divides between East and West.

Memorable international airfields? Try Gibraltar.

January 19th, 2010, 16:32
and have a special cacheInteresting that a Yale man hasn't heard of cachet.

January 19th, 2010, 20:12
I guess I have problems with French words...so sue me. Yale men have trouble with LOTS of words, just like everyone else. What's your point?

January 19th, 2010, 20:16
Hong Kong boys? HK is one of the few places where I have been approached quite openly in public areas and for no apparent reason by young Asian "yuppies" - one of the funniest was in Ocean Terminal when one HK guy who was about 20 or 21 stepped in front of me on the escalator and simply asked "Hi, are you gay? Please say you are!". He later assumed that because I was one of the few people in HK without a mobile phone that I could not afford one, so he repeatedly offered to buy me one so that he could call me - trying to explain that I had no need for one, even though virtually everyone down to the most junior person working for me had one, was just another of those uncrossable divides between East and West.

Why would they approach you? Were you obviously gay looking? How old were you at the time...I can't picture young yuppies randomly singling out foreign men to ask them if they are gay and would they please say yes. Sounds dangerous?

January 20th, 2010, 12:56
I guess I have problems with French words...so sue me. Yale men have trouble with LOTS of words, just like everyone else. What's your point?I don't believe that Yale men with degrees in English have such problems. That's my point.

Beachlover
January 20th, 2010, 18:29
Who gives a toss? It's a forum... not an academic paper.

He's got nothing to justify or prove to you.

January 20th, 2010, 20:14
Why would they approach you? Were you obviously gay looking? How old were you at the time...I can't picture young yuppies randomly singling out foreign men to ask them if they are gay and would they please say yes. Sounds dangerous?

1. I have no idea. I asked the same question myself, and the only answer I could get (apart from giggles) was that he thought I looked "nice" (a description I would never have considered appropriate).

2. No, I was not and am not "obviously gay looking" (whatever that means!). I asked that too, and got a similar response - "no, just nice". Maybe it was my yellow Hugo Boss sweater.

3. Early 30's. Yes, it was a bit surreal - fortunately he only spoke quietly! Dangerous? Under the circumstances, no.

Brad the Impala
January 21st, 2010, 06:40
2. No, I was not and am not "obviously gay looking" (whatever that means!). I asked that too, and got a similar response - "no, just nice". Maybe it was my yellow Hugo Boss sweater.

Oh please! You don't think that a yellow Hugo Boss sweater is "gay"! Were you wearing white patent leather with shoes too?

And you remember what you were wearing on a specific day twenty years ago? Do you keep a clothes diary?!

January 21st, 2010, 18:08
HK is definitely a 'tight' gay place and not easy to move around in from a straight-acting sense. GF's guy saying 'are you gay ?!' story is almost beyond believable unless it was a random toss in a lifetime. HK is NOT an easily navigate-able town if you're just simply gay. If you're gay and you have a lot of money, you got a better shot.

If anyone else posted 'some HK guy came up to me and said 'I HOPE you are GAY!!!' GF would be on them like flies on shit. It really stretches the believability aspect based on what I know: HK is very conservative, very cloistered and not given to exuberant displays of gay sexuality. My hat is OFF to GF that he had the opportunity to give lie to all of that.

Beachlover
January 21st, 2010, 18:28
I think the guy should jump in front of GF right now and ask, "are you a moron? Please admit you're a moron!"

maisoui
January 22nd, 2010, 12:59

1. I have no idea. I asked the same question myself, and the only answer I could get (apart from giggles) was that he thought I looked "nice" (a description I would never have considered appropriate).

3. Early 30's. Yes, it was a bit surreal - fortunately he only spoke quietly! Dangerous? Under the circumstances, no.

When I worked in Hong Kong two of my Western Colleagues were similarly accosted, one on the Star Ferry and the other on the KCR. Neither looked at all gay, or attractive IMHO.

January 22nd, 2010, 21:37
A similar but considerably more subtle approach was made to me on the Star Ferry, by another HK "yuppie"; fortunately that time I was being put up in the Mandarin for a few days while some building work was being done outside permitted hours near my house, so it was more convenient.

Again, I have no idea why I was singled out (and I can't remember what I was wearing on that occasion) - and remember I was living there, so I have no idea how many times I was in the area of the Star Ferry / Ocean Terminal, but it would have been quite a lot.

I ran into the first one a number of times, always in the same area, always without any prior arrangement but at roughly the same time. As I said, it was all a bit surreal at the time and I have no idea why I was the object of attention. I had lived in HK before also and know HK quite well, and while I would agree that outwardly it appears very "cloistered" I would hardly call dives like Red Lips, in the middle of the main tourist shopping centre off Nathan Road, "conservative"!

I am "not given to exuberant displays of gay sexuality", nor was I at the time, nor did I frequent any of the "gay" bars or discos, etc (or any at all, except as a guest in a group), so I can't really comment on how that would have been accepted. On both occasions when I have returned more recently, however, with my Thai partner (who is rather more "obviously gay looking"!) his usual insistence on holding hands with me raised less looks than in other places we have visited in Asia.