PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate fashion faux pas?

January 17th, 2010, 00:53
My Thai boyfriend loves giving me presents. It doesn't have to be a special occasion but Christmas is an obvious excuse.

His presents tend to be a bit "unorthodox" and also tend to highlight the difference in taste between us.

His fashion sense is, in my opinion, very questionable so the clothes he buys me can be a bit of a mixed blessing. Bright blue shorts with yellow spots and bright pink t-shirts are not to my taste so it takes some tact to explain why I don't spend my time with him dressed in the clothes he's bought me.

This Christmas he gave me two pairs of "toe socks". I didn't know that they existed so certainly hadn't given him any reason to think that I needed any.

In case anybody is also unfamiliar with them they are socks with individual "toes" like the fingers on gloves. Putting them on was tricky and they looked ridiculous. They were also too small which was my excuse as I explained that Farang feet are not suited to them so I had to leave them unworn. I also did my best to discourage him from trying to find some larger ones.

On my return home I showed them to friend who instantly exclaimed "What a good idea, you could wear them with flip-flops!".

Don't worry, he doesn't visit Thailand.

January 17th, 2010, 00:59
My Thai boyfriend loves giving me presents. It doesn't have to be a special occasion but Christmas is an obvious excuse.

His presents tend to be a bit "unorthodox" and also tend to highlight the difference in taste between us.

His fashion sense is, in my opinion, very questionable so the clothes he buys me can be a bit of a mixed blessing. Bright blue shorts with yellow spots and bright pink t-shirts are not to my taste so it takes some tact to explain why I don't spend my time with him dressed in the clothes he's bought me.

This Christmas he gave me two pairs of "toe socks". I didn't know that they existed so certainly hadn't given him any reason to think that I needed any.

In case anybody is also unfamiliar with them they are socks with individual "toes" like the fingers on gloves. Putting them on was tricky and they looked ridiculous. They were also too small which was my excuse as I explained that Farang feet are not suited to them so I had to leave them unworn. I also did my best to discourage him from trying to find some larger ones.

On my return home I showed them to friend who instantly exclaimed "What a good idea, you could wear them with flip-flops!".

Don't worry, he doesn't visit Thailand.

He plainly wants you to look completely ridiculous.

As for the reason.................

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

January 17th, 2010, 01:26

Actually he wants to please me but our tastes conflict. But that simple motive is obviously beyond the understanding of some. It's sad to think how much such cynics miss.

January 17th, 2010, 05:21

Actually he wants to please me but our tastes conflict. ...

Perhaps he should have bought you a 9 inch dildo :dontknow:

Beachlover
January 17th, 2010, 05:50
LOL... that's cute.

You should wear some of the stuff he buys you.... it's fun to be adventurous and it'll make him happy. He probably goes to a bit of thought to buying these gifts and his reward is seeing you happily enjoying them.

January 17th, 2010, 06:05
Look if you boy friend bought you blue short and yellow top then WEAR THEM!

giggsy
January 17th, 2010, 06:09
Bright blue shorts with yellow spots and bright pink t-shirts

sooo gay :rolling:

Diec
January 17th, 2010, 06:56
It's obvious your boyfriend is an arse hole, and an unbelievably stupid one at that. Why would the fool buy you dumb ass presents like that? I'm sure the cow is spending money that you gave him for crap you don't need or want. I can tell from the way you write that this idiot has hurt your feelings deeply and is probably too stupid to cross the street on his own. I say get rid of the little wanker, your better off without the ignoramous. Your boyfriend is a maroon.

Smiles
January 17th, 2010, 10:23
" ... My Thai boyfriend loves giving me presents ... "
I wish!

January 17th, 2010, 12:51
Re: The ultimate fashion faux pas?
Author: Diec ┬╗ Sat 16 Jan, 2010 7:56 pm

It's obvious your boyfriend is an arse hole, and an unbelievably stupid one at that. Why would the fool buy you dumb ass presents like that? I'm sure the cow is spending money that you gave him for crap you don't need or want. I can tell from the way you write that this idiot has hurt your feelings deeply and is probably too stupid to cross the street on his own. I say get rid of the little wanker, your better off without the ignoramous. Your boyfriend is a maroon.

What a nice post...certainly brightened my day. Thanks, Diec, for taking the time to share you thoughts with us.

In many ways, the way the Thai boy was thoughtful represents everything all of us know and love about the guys in this wonderful culture. Playful, sweet and completely disconnected with the thought that there's any right or wrong way to try to please us.

Diec
January 17th, 2010, 12:58
You are correct Jackey, let the little munchkins please us so we clap our hands with glee for the circus side show.

Beachlover
January 17th, 2010, 15:30
You are correct Jackey, let the little munchkins please us so we clap our hands with glee for the circus side show.

Geez... painful prostate problems or did some sand go up your urethra?

January 17th, 2010, 17:27

Actually he wants to please me but our tastes conflict.....

If it makes you happy you to think so, dear - but I prefer my interpretation.
Maybe you'll take the hint when he hands you a Krusty the Klown outfit in which to stroll through Boyztown
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

January 17th, 2010, 23:01
I canтАЩt see why this thread has been infected by criticism that reaches the vitriolic. OK, so the Thai boy has no sense of Western style. Why would anyone expect an Issan farm boy to know what looks good from our point of view? I am always greatly impressed (and relieved) when a bar boy turns out to like Giordano outfits, but that is rare. They dress to please themselves and their peers and that sense of rural style is what they feel anyone, including us, would find acceptableтАж..

Still, canтАЩt help wondering about this OPтАЩs bf, wondering why he thought the OP would be ready for such a fashion makeover. Maybe he thought the OP would look younger? But no matter what he thought, he was obviously performing a caring act. Denigrating that act is not appropriate.

January 18th, 2010, 00:01
If it makes you happy you to think so, dear

I'm not your "dear". But adopt the tired language of the ageing queen if that's all you can manage, I'm sure it suits you.

I know the worth of my boyfriend and just for the record he's not from Issan and he's 33 and the bravest person I've ever met. He's also never been a Go Go Boy.

I obvious that many are jealous of a genuine relationship and fall back on cynicism to try and cope with their envy.

As I said, it's very sad...

January 18th, 2010, 00:21
I canтАЩt see why this thread has been infected by criticism ..............

Bob, try sitting on a feather duster - you might manage a laugh.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

jimnbkk
January 18th, 2010, 00:23
Jon, I think Diec is pulling your leg a bit. Nobody, even on this board, is that seriously stupid.

I sometimes wish my Thai friend would buy me things, but for some reason it's always the other way around. Actually, he has such abysmal taste in clothing, I should be happy he doesn't buy me things. I would have same problem as you in wearing it. Sometimes, I even cringe a little when I walk down the street with him. But then I think, well, he's walking down the street with you, you old coot, so I guess I can do the same!

January 18th, 2010, 00:32
If it makes you happy you to think so, dear

I'm not your "dear". But adopt the tired language of the ageing queen if that's all you can manage, I'm sure it suits you.

I know the worth of my boyfriend and just for the record he's not from Issan and he's 33 and the bravest person I've ever met. He's also never been a Go Go Boy.

I obvious that many are jealous of a genuine relationship and fall back on cynicism to try and cope with their envy.

As I said, it's very sad...

Queen maybe but as for ageing - well we are all "ageing", but I'm around 50% older than your bf and, I would wager, considerably younger than yourself. So I guess if I'm "ageing" then you must be positively decrepit. Maybe he should buy you a shroud instead of a pink shirt.

Let me assure you that I am not in the least jealous or envious of your 32yo bf - if I wanted to go around with a 32yo I could do that any day of the week and none of them would have been a gogo boy either. Why you find it important to tell us that your bf has never been a gogo boy eludes me, maybe it comforts you in some way, I don't know - I'm not a psychiatrist

One thing that I admire about your bf is that he obviously has a sense of humour! If I were you I'd stick with him - some of it may even rub off on you.

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

Diec
January 18th, 2010, 00:35
Poor Kun, you come on this board to complain how your idiot boyfriend buys you blue polka dot shorts. Many, as well as I have offered our sage advice and what do you do? You come out swinging that your dopey boyfriend is 33 and we are all jealous. Throw this boy into a corner with a sippy cup filled with vodka, a GQ magazine and don't let him up until he learns something. I would also stop taking him to the playground for at least 2 months. And what ever you do, don't wear those toe socks while you bang him. He may foolishly get the wrong idea.

January 18th, 2010, 00:42
To: scottish-guy

bobsaigon wrote:
I canтАЩt see why this thread has been infected by criticism ..............

Bob, try sitting on a feather duster - you might manage a laugh.

Nothing wrong with my sense of humor, thank you. I was referring to a couple of postings in this thread which can only be described as spiteful.

krobbie
January 18th, 2010, 01:08
Kun Jon, pay no attention to the naysayers hereabouts. I know how much you love this man, his struggles over the years and how long you have been together. Your ability to "stick by him" when most others would have tossed him away or moved on speaks volumes to me.

Of course you made me privy to this information in your/our PM's, but no-one else seems to have done a search of your earlier posts where you describe all this. What a shame ... folk can be so short sighted.

Choc dee my friend,
krobbie

Diec
January 18th, 2010, 01:54
Kun Jon, pay no attention to the naysayers hereabouts. I know how much you love this man, his struggles over the years and how long you have been together. Your ability to "stick by him" when most others would have tossed him away or moved on speaks volumes to me.

Of course you made me privy to this information in your/our PM's, but no-one else seems to have done a search of your earlier posts where you describe all this. What a shame ... folk can be so short sighted.

Choc dee my friend,
krobbie

Krobbie, your heartfelt post to Kun had me streaming angel tears from above. I did not know just how close the two of you were, what with the PM's and all, Thank you for sharing. As you pointed out, Kun's ability to "stick by him" when others would have tossed him shows his great love in helping the mentally challenged. I too took care of a retard for about a day, then he got on my nerves and I got rid of him. I can tell you this "folk" was not short sighted, I saw trouble and I ran. All I can say is if my boyfriend ever came waltzing in with blue polka shorts for me I would smack that stupid ass grin off his face and lock the door behind him.

PeterUK
January 18th, 2010, 22:17
[attachment=0:m5habip6]Patters-in-jumpers-001.jpg[/attachment:m5habip6]

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Look at this lovely cardie that my Thai friend bought me recently.

January 19th, 2010, 01:13
[attachment=0:18pvnp8s]Patters-in-jumpers-001.jpg[/attachment:18pvnp8s]

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Look at this lovely cardie that my Thai friend bought me recently.

Are you certain he BOUGHT it?

It looks like he may have KNITTED it.

Very touching.

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

January 19th, 2010, 04:33
[attachment=0:23fxke9z]Patters-in-jumpers-001.jpg[/attachment:23fxke9z]

So the zenith of your career has been appearing in a knitting patterns brochure ...

January 20th, 2010, 09:35
Your boyfriend is a maroon.

The colour, or the distress rocket??