PDA

View Full Version : Flight prices & something to mull over ...

Smiles
January 16th, 2010, 10:03
Regularly putting out for the cost of air fares is a commonality for just about everyone on these gay Thailand message Boards.

An interesting ~ and now, it turns out, profitable ~ idea was run past me by a friend a few days ago: Seeing as how I'm spending 8 or 9 months in Thailand and 3 or 4 months in Canada (at least for the foreseeable future) why not think about changing my flight pattern from Vancouver/Bangkok/Vancouver to the opposite, and begin initially departing from Bangkok instead?

The reason being ~ he said, knowing much more about the 'insides' of airline company behaviour than I do ~ was that, in his experience, many airlines charge substantially less when starting a flight ticket in BKK and going to N America.

Doing this would require me to purchase at least one of my next flights as a one-way ... not a fabulous option as one-way tickets tend to be about 80% of a return flight. But I could eat the higher proportional cost in order to get a cheaper flight process started. OR ... (and this is something which never crossed my mind) as I am right now, coincidently, on a free air miles fare, I could simply cancel the return part of the fare, as it didn't cost me a penny to begin with, and pay for a new ticket originating this time in Bangkok.

Sounded good in theory. But I really had no actual first hand knowledge that the Asia/America/Asia flights were substantially less expensive than the normal America/Asia/America.

So I checked (first with Expedia.com, having received very good deals with them in the past).
The very first option which came up was a United flight from BKK to Vancouver return for $794. Add to that $230 in taxes and it's all-in fare of $1064 (including 40 bucks for the Canadian exchange conversion). That's about $100 less than the first flight I ever took to Thailand in 2000 . . . and betters most other flights (on United) taken since then by $300-$500. A very meaningful saving.

Switching your 'Departure' city may be something to think about for a certain number of folks here: (1) if you're long term in Thailand but go back home regularly, or of course (2) if plane fare costs are meaningful to you anyway.
Some folks here fly First Class and/or Business all the time and couldn't give a lick about the $2000-5000 price tag. But I can't afford that, and frankly the 'temporary' nature of air travel makes me gag at doing it, whether I could afford it or not.

I have no idea ~ haven't looked ~ whether this difference in fare holds true for travel between Thailand and Europe as well.

January 16th, 2010, 11:41
Regularly putting out for the cost of air fares is a commonality for just about everyone on these gay Thailand message Boards,I'm told the phrase "putting out" these days means making oneself available sexually. Are members now selling their bodies in their own countries to make the cost of a ticket to Thailand? How interesting!

Beachlover
January 16th, 2010, 18:24
Good idea for the guys who live in Thailand...

Having to pay more for the initial one way flight is no issue if you're in a country where LCCs (budget carriers) fly to from Thailand (e.g. Australia has Jetstar, AirAsia, Tiger and V Australia flying to Thailand) as their tickets are always one way anyway...

cdnmatt
January 16th, 2010, 18:33
Just checked, and you're right. Exact same days, but different direction, and leaving from Bangkok is a $105 difference vs. leaving from Vancouver. Not a huge deal, but what the hell... I'd rather have the extra $105, instead of the airline having it.

January 16th, 2010, 20:12
About 10 years ago, I started my trips originating from Bangkok to Toronto, and then it was much cheaper. Now however, I find its reversed. I am returning to Toronto in April and best price I could get was 49,800 baht with Air Canada via Narita. I just checked on Expedia with same Airline and route and price was US$1180. These prices are including all fees and taxes etc.

luvthai-2
January 16th, 2010, 20:44
One thing you should be aware of is that most airlines require a round trip ticket to enter thailand. I know some don't but then every once in awhile thai immigrations will also check to be sure you have a round trip ticket. A couple years ago I had to show the return when going thru the checks but its been a while since they have asked me to show it.

Geezer
January 17th, 2010, 08:57
I had that problem when I moved to Thailand permanently.

The ticked agent advised me to buy a one way ticket from the US to Bangkok, and a fully refundable ticket from Bangkok to Singapore.

It worked.

January 17th, 2010, 12:00
One thing you should be aware of is that most airlines require a round trip ticket to enter thailand. I know some don't but then every once in awhile thai immigrations will also check to be sure you have a round trip ticket. A couple years ago I had to show the return when going thru the checks but its been a while since they have asked me to show it.In these days of e-tickets it is more difficult for anyone to show they have a ticket at all unless they print it out. In that case all you do is make one up - easy enough to do, as I can assure you from my days on the Fraud squad. What bureaucrats want is a piece of paper. Show them one (if asked). It makes them happy and they're most unlikely to go to the airline and ask them to check that the booking is real. Do the same to the airline if you have a one-way ticket. Just make up a ticket on a different airline, print it out, and there you are.

quiet1
January 17th, 2010, 12:19
One thing you should be aware of is that most airlines require a round trip ticket to enter thailand. I know some don't but then every once in awhile thai immigrations will also check to be sure you have a round trip ticket. A couple years ago I had to show the return when going thru the checks but its been a while since they have asked me to show it.
If you enter Thailand on a visa-exempt stamp, the airline checks that you have an onward/return ticket within the 30-day period. If the Immigration officer at the airport should happen to check, and you DON'T have an onward/return ticket within 30 days, they turn you back to the airline who is then fined, and responsible for getting you out of the country at their expense.

If you have a visa, regardless of type (tourist, business, retirement, etc), then there is no requirement to have an onward/return ticket so the airline shouldn't check that you have an onward/return ticket.

Now, those are the rules, but we all know that not everybody follows the rules, so YMMV (your mileage may vary.)

TrongpaiExpat
January 17th, 2010, 12:33
This used to be a pretty good site for checking international air fares and promotions out of Thailand. http://traveltech2000.com/default.asp
but it's not updated with many of the 2010 promotions yet. Another one that I have used to buy international fares originating in Thailand ishttp://www.thaifly.com/ Sometimes they are lower than the fare on the airlines web site by a little and other times by a lot.

January 17th, 2010, 13:02
No brainer, really. Airlines view the Westerner ability to pay substantially different than the SEAsian's ability to pay. What's weird is that if you try to book through agents in Thailand for a US-Asia-US round trip the cost is substantially higher. Better to book State-side for those.

Same with Thai Air's website. The cost of a LA/BKK/LA flight booked online from here is much higher than booking it on the same site in the US...go figure. When I compared last year the price here was 30% higher than the one my friend, moments later, was quoted in the US. He said that he thinks the difference is due to the perception that they need to be competitive in the US on those fares whereas a farang booking from Thailand for a round trip originating in LA was a captive customer with fewer options. I don't understand it, but I was surprised at the spread between prices.

January 17th, 2010, 17:21
Regularly putting out for the cost of air fares is a commonality for just about everyone on these gay Thailand message Boards,I'm told the phrase "putting out" these days means making oneself available sexually. Are members now selling their bodies in their own countries to make the cost of a ticket to Thailand? How interesting!

Let's hope board members are not attempting to sell their bodies to finance air tickets - or else they will all be swimming to Thailand !!!!!!!

And bearing in mind the draught which would be created by the biggest school of blubber-filled whales imaginable all swimming towards Thailand in high-season, it could lead to another Tsunami !!!!

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

krobbie
January 18th, 2010, 00:23
Smiles, I checked the fares from BKK to New Zealand return for Bobey and it was about 23000 baht. This admittedly was over the high season (in Thailand) and here also being Christmas holidays etc. I have just found a fare this morning I have booked for May, which is the cheapest fare ever from Auckland - BKK return for $NZ777.00 all in. I am stoked and have contacted my agency to grab it quick.

So while there may be some fares that are cheaper from BKK to a certain destination it pays to check all the specials available. I guess you are stuck with United. At least from NZ I get to choose from Royal Brunei, Thai, Emirates and I think Air NZ is putting back a BKK flight also. Nothing like a bit of competition to keep them honest.

Cheers
krobbie :thumbleft:

Surfcrest
January 18th, 2010, 02:23
IтАЩve been flying to and from various Asian destinations and Vancouver with Cathay Pacific. My Cantonese travel agent in Richmond has been able to put together pretty much any itinerary that I suggest at very competitive prices. I usually pre-estimate the price online through various sources while IтАЩm exploring the connections available. Quite often she is able to find a much better final price than what I can find online with in / out alternatives or stop overтАЩs you couldnтАЩt even calculate through an online booking. Buying each leg online could really add up the costs, where for me the cost of continuing onward to Bangkok or Mumbai from Hong Kong is only marginal.

If something goes wrongтАж.I miss a flight or want to change the itinerary while IтАЩm in Asia, a simple email will do. She stores my credit card information and can pay any service charges for changed flights that apply and credit any air miles to the various airlines I have accounts with. Like you, my last flight in and out was on my Asia Miles. I donтАЩt view this as a free flight; IтАЩve earned it through frequently flying with CP with the cost of the Asia Miles program built into the regular fares IтАЩve paid already. Personally, I wouldnтАЩt give up a leg whether I got a good deal or it was free on Air Miles.

I would imagine a one way ticket from Vancouver to Bangkok or visa versa to be costly in comparison to a one way ticket no matter how it was arranged. I would be very surprised if a three way ticket would be similarly costly, as though calculated as a round trip with a one way trip added on. Of the airlines I've flown with around the planet, Cathay is definitely one of the best.

Smiles
January 18th, 2010, 09:10
" ... Cathay is definitely one of the best (airlines) ... "
Agree with that. Once I get my next 'free' flight with United, which will get my accumulation down to a few hundred miles I'll start seriously thinking of starting to build them up anew with Cathay Pacific.
One medium-size downer on Cathay is the obligatory 13 hour long leg from Vancouver, though the second, very short flight into BKK might just make up for it.

January 18th, 2010, 10:01
For what it is worth ,one thing you should be aware of when looking at prices and possibly doing what you have in mind, is the time frame restrictions each airline puts on that 'special priced ticket'.
Should you buy here in Thailand, as I do,then the ticket I buy has a two month stay away. If you return to Canada and wish to stay longer than that period you could have difficulties. Each airline I am sure have different restrictions.

" ... Cathay is definitely one of the best (airlines) ... "
Agree with that. Once I get my next 'free' flight with United, which will get my accumulation down to a few hundred miles I'll start seriously thinking of starting to build them up anew with Cathay Pacific.
One medium-size downer on Cathay is the obligatory 13 hour long leg from Vancouver, though the second, very short flight into BKK might just make up for it.

Surfcrest
January 18th, 2010, 10:35

IтАЩm not familiar with any other route travelling westward. Like you, I couldnтАЩt imagine throwing money away for anything more than a seat in coach. I especially like the CX889 flight outbound out of Vancouver shortly after midnight, putting you into HK early in the morningтАжgood for a connecting flight to virtually any other Asian destination Cathay flies to. YouтАЩre over 3 hours into the flight when the dinner / drinks have been cleared away, a good time for a sleep. If the bouncing around as you pass over Japan or Taiwan hasnтАЩt woken you yet, Cathay will awaken youтАжserving you a little breakfast before you land in Hong Kong. Sleeping a little in that 8 hour window will have you тАЬfeet on the groundтАЭ once you get to Asia. I like to stop off in HK in / out or both.

I also like taking the service eastbound as it continues onward to New York. Cathay offers two daily services in and out of Vancouver from Hong Kong.

yaraboy
January 18th, 2010, 10:37
I have been flying out of Bangkok to Vancouver either on EVA or JAL . I have done this trip at least 12 times over the last 4 years and save at least $2000 per trip......The catch? I travel business class. I am price conscious, ....paying $2500-$3000 for B Class is acceptable. $5000 is not ! From what i can see only minimal savings accrue when you do the trip economy.

January 18th, 2010, 11:23
SC,

Your HK stopover idea brings up another really important point. Some international airlines with hubs in major Asian cities offer the option to stopover for a few days at little or no extra charge. This is great for cities like HK, Manila, Singapore, and KL (I'm not sure where else) because you can explore and shop for awhile there before continuing on to your destination. Granted, there may be limited options from smaller cities like Vancouver vs LAX or Kennedy but it makes it easier to absorb higher prices if you have to pay them.

Anyone else aware of airlines that offer this option inexpensively?

JL

PS- Anyone follow the problems in Dubai with that UK fellow who they found like a piece of cannabis the size of a sugar crystal on the sole of his shoe? He's going to be sent away for possession of drugs, for four years. Another guy was arrested and is being prosecuted for having two poppy seeds in his pockets that came from a poppy seed bagel he bought at the airport in Paris. Draconian, no?

January 18th, 2010, 21:18
SC,

Anyone else aware of airlines that offer this option inexpensively?

I am flying with Cathay to Toronto, and on the return you can stop over in HK for free.