PDA

View Full Version : Chiang Mai Review Nov-Dec 2009

January 11th, 2010, 20:46
I stayed at the Lavender Lanna Hotel. It is in a different area than I stayed previously and very near the moat around the old city. Many tuk-tuk drivers only knew it by the previous hotel name I Tokyo. I found it to be a convenient point to walk around the old city. I especially enjoyed the Sunday Walking Street. It is also a short ride to the vibrant Night Bazaar area. I found it to be a good central location and also liked that it was near a large shopping mall with Farang restaurants and movies.

Although the hotel room was a bit dark, it was comfortable. The bed was more comfortable than most, had a nice size bathroom, small couch, nice flat screen TV and was quiet with a nice view of the city. The staff was helpful and still learning. They provide free nightly shuttles to the other bars. The hotel also has a massage spa and nice pool area where the massage boys hung out.

The hotel breakfast was basic with an ok selection of eggs (fried and scrambled with both cold), a few Thai dishes, fried rice and plain rice, toast, and fruit.

I thought that one guy who was EXTREMELY helpful to me and normally around the entrance or front desk was the manager. He would ask me where I wanted to go, give me information or suggestions, talk to the staff to help me, arrange for the shuttle, and was just very helpful. Then I learned he was a Tuk-Tuk driver that had worked at reception at a BKK hotel. I think he should be the manager as I never met the real manager but this guy did the job just fine and better than most. He was very personable.

THE BARS

Please note that my preference is for muscular athletic guys and my comments are based accordingly.

On my first night I had a drink in the downstairs Power Boys Go Go club and saw many nice boys although they were not to my preference. They had reasonable drink prices, not pushy, and had an excellent show which I found to be better than the other places I visited in CM and also from a dancing and singing POV, better than any show I have seen in BKK.

I then took the free shuttle to the Circle Pub which was not far away. The layout or perhaps where they seated me was not great for viewing. The show as just ok, nothing special. The 10-12 boys paraded by a bit too quickly, most with shirts on and wee various types. The boys had small name tags. I offed a well-built Burmese boy and we had a good time. There were some good looking guys here.

The next night I walked to the New My Way which is not far from the hotel. Again, I found the club just ok. The 12-15 boys had numbers and the club had reasonably priced drinks. The show was a bit better than Circle Pub and was entertaining. The Captain was helpful. I chose a tall guy to sit with me and had a decent conversation (in Thai) but did not off him. They did have the boys on stage a bit longer so I could at least get a better idea about them. They had a decent variety.

I also visited the newly opened Adams Apple. It was poorly designed for visibility as some seats are set back in so the side wall blocks your view. I guess it may be good or bad depending what you plan to do in your seat. Drinks were reasonably priced at 160 baht which seemed to be the same at each club. The club had about 20 boys and a much better variety than the other clubs and a few more muscular guys than the other clubs. There was absolutely no pushiness on either drinks or offs. There were also more farangs at this bar than the others and at 10 PM all the wall seats were taken. Similar to the other clubs in CM, the boys circulate rather quickly. They had numbers. I did not off anyone but if I had stayed longer in CM, I would have come back to this club to off and would go to the Powers Boys to enjoy the show.

I did not visit any of the massage places but there are many available. I tried the massage at the hotel and chose from 12-15 guys. Most were smaller twinky types. I had the 1 ┬╜ hours massage with minimum tip of 700 baht. My guy was very pleasant, decent massage, and took very good care of me including a final scrub in the shower. It was very convenient as we just walked back to my room after I selected him.

I tried a variety of restaurants including MiguelтАЩs for Mexican, and then near the night bazaar the large German restaurant and Dukes. I tried several different meals at Dukes and was very happy with each of them.

Overall I found CM a very different atmosphere from BKK. It is much more subdued and they appeared to be more used to handling Thai customers than Farangs. They were not the least bit pushy, but instead seemed to be at the other end with me having to get their attention if I wanted something or someone.

Next time I will try visiting the massage places and revisit the bars I liked.

January 11th, 2010, 22:09
The New Adams Apple was very good. Their show had a nice variety and all fairly low key as I recall. The boys would come out in small groups at a time for the acts. They also had a nice rhythm to the rotation so before and after the show you could see all the guys as they paraded around the show floor. They also did a good job of rotating around the room. Layout was basically seats down both sides and a series of small chest high tables back at the end in front of the bar. There were also seating type areas right next to the stage but when I was there they were not being used. It is definitely worth checking out.

January 12th, 2010, 06:21
Thanks for the informative post. I'm planning a trip soon. I think you'll like the massage places on your next visit. The CM vibe is so different than BKK or Pattaya, the city relatively clean and well laid out. Great restaurants- I love Dukes!- and the guys there seem so sweet and not too cynical. I also like that I don't seem to run into as many katoeys as is the norm elsewhere. If Issan is 'poor farmboy central' then CM is 'farmboy middle class', at least, that's the feel I get.

Beachlover
January 12th, 2010, 18:02
I think Chiang Mai boys are the cutest... don't know why... but this part of Thailand seems to produce the most han-sam boys.

Pchy is a Chiang Mai boy...

January 13th, 2010, 21:23
Yes, very cute, more reserved, and also more polite than BKK or Pattaya working boys. Sometimes I wonder if geography has something to do with it. I'm guessing that most of the CM boys are from that city, or not far from it. They are pretty much working in their home territory, no need to travel 13 hours on a bus to get to the unreality, the un-Thainess, of sex-haven Pattaya. So the CM boys feel at home, perhaps even a bit proud of living in a city that has always been attracting tourists not for sex, but because of the traditions of Thai culture and the somewhat healthier ambience of the city. The Pattaya Issan boys are in a sense strangers in their own land, lacking the proximity of kinship support, unable to pretend that most people come to Pattaya for anything other than sex.

January 14th, 2010, 08:53
Both you guys (BL and Bob) are right on the mark. When you get right down to it, the type of guy who is willing to travel far from home for work is bound to be a little more world-savvy and interested in money, a bit more cynical and opportunistic.

They also might not be as good looking and figure they need to go where the action is. Good looking, sweet faced boys in CM can get work there. They are most likely, because of their stabler lifestyle close to home, not yaba or other drug/alcohol) abusers, which many have blamed for the poor skin and appearance of the working boys in the big cities. Let's not forget that so much of what makes someone sweetfaced and good looking is a solid upbringing and a good family background.

kuku-old
January 17th, 2010, 14:42
Hello and tks so much for all these infos.
The titel of your report mentions "Nov-Dec 2009". Did you stay two months in CM ? always in the Lavender Hotel ? and how much are the rooms ?
I am planning a 3 months stay for the autumn.
Tks in advance for your kind answer. K.

jolyjacktar
January 17th, 2010, 15:08
I found Chaing Mai a much more refreshing place than Bangkok or Pattaya and as i dont swim in the sea i loved the different ambience of the Mountains and country rather than a dirty old beach in Pattaya.
I stayed at the Dusit D2 which is more exspensive than most other hotels in the city but i loved the place and as i only holiday now about every 12 - 18 months the cost was no problem.
The guys i met were very nice and in fact for a few days met this guy from the University and he showed me arround places i hadnt been before and stayed with me for 5 nights. Lovely most affectionate person i have met on my travels, still e -mail and skype him 3 years latter.
If asked i would recomend Chaing Mai over any other place in Thailand for a holiday, but everyone is different and it might not appeal to all. But give it a try for a few days and i think most will be pleasantly supprised.

January 17th, 2010, 16:38
KUKU - I was only in Chiang Mai for one week. The rooms at the Lanna Lavender hotel varied - I think I had the Superior room which was fine for me and was 1150 baht per night and included breakfast.

Dodger
January 17th, 2010, 17:01
Thanks for your review New2009.

I'm considering a short visit to CM during my Spring holiday and really like the looks of the Lavender Lanna. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.lavenderlannahotel.com/facilities.htm

The rates look very reasonable considering the amentities, and from you say, the location sounds great as well.

Can you describe the Night Bazaar? Any gogo bars/boy beer bars in that area?

Also...has anyone here ever taken the train to CM versus flying?

ceejay
January 17th, 2010, 17:23
Also...has anyone here ever taken the train to CM versus flying?
No, but I've used the overnight sleeper to Nong Khai which is a similar journey.

I took a first class sleeper, and got a good night's sleep on it. Unless, you are travelling with a companion, you will find yourself sharing with a stranger (1st class are 2 berth compartments). If you travel 2nd class, then you are in a sort of dormitory style carriage with, I think, 20 berths to the compartment.

The overnight sleeper is a good option for the longer journeys to the North or North East. It saves you the cost of a hotel for the night, not to mention the cost of an air ticket, and it uses time when you would in any case be sleeping - (or perhaps not sleeping - :happy7: ) Since a 1st class berth costs less than baht 1500 one way, that's very cost effective.

If you want first class, then I think you have to buy at a station, (any station in Thailand) and can only do so a maximum of 60 days in advance. If you use second class, you can book online here:
http://www.thairailwayticket.com/Defaul ... language=1 (http://www.thairailwayticket.com/Default.aspx?language=1)

Smiles
January 17th, 2010, 17:25
" ... They also did a good job of rotating around the room ... ". . . on the tip of Copper Pheel's tongue no doubt.

" ... I found Chaing Mai a much more refreshing place than Bangkok or Pattaya and as i dont swim in the sea i loved the different ambience of the Mountains and country rather than a dirty old beach in Pattaya ... "
We drove up to Chiang Mai after a few days in Sukothai last November, and must agree with the observation about 'mountains': All greeny green driving through quite a lot of back roads inching slowly towards Chiang Mai ... rice fields emerald before the cutting starts, sweet little restaurants overlooking terrific views of valleys and jungle ... great tall majestic trees higher up in the mountains with mossy branches leaning down over the roads and a little bit of gentle rain to wash the countryside. Quite lovely, and I agree, an excellent change of pace from just a little bit Too Much beach, (though Hua Hin's is miles away far more pleasant than Jomtien or Pattaya).
A leisurely car ride through northern Thailand is a real joy.

January 17th, 2010, 18:48
We drove up to Chiang Mai after a few days in Sukothai last November, and must agree with the observation about 'mountains': All greeny green driving through quite a lot of back roads inching slowly towards Chiang Mai ... rice fields emerald before the cutting starts ... A leisurely car ride through northern Thailand is a real joy.

Unlike a trip to Ubon Ratchathani that must be one of the dullest and most rubbish-strewn journeys in S.E.Asia. Endless, flat, brown, boring fields - the only bits of colour are the discarded plastic bags and empty soft drink cans.

Beachlover
January 17th, 2010, 18:50
I took a particularly drunken overnight train from BKK to Chiang Mai one New Years Eve. It was fantastic... the crew stayed up drinking and dancing (not the driver of course) with us along with a few Thai Army Officers and various other characters as the train rattled into the night.

They had a little disco ball hanging from the roof of the happy car (dining car)... Singha, Chang and Thai Whiskey flowed all night... and we did a the midnight count down in 3 different languages. I kept pointing at any train crew in uniform saying, "aren't you meant to be the driver???"... at which they would wave their arms about laughing, "Nooooo! I not driver... driver at front of train... no worry!" lol.

- From BKK to Chiang Mai, the overnight sleeper train is about 13 hours.

- Second class is the way to go... unless you're with your BF and want to get physical (then book your own private locked door first class cabin).

- In second class... make sure you reserve a bottom bunk instead of a top bunk... the bottom bunk has more room, access to a window and is further away from the glare of the lights (they never switch the lights off)

- If you're in the top bunk, make sure you have a blindfold or something

The view coming into Chiang Mai in the morning is spectacular... rolling green scenery. Make sure you get up and go to the dining car to enjoy the view when it gets light.

Dodger
January 17th, 2010, 20:36
ceejay...Beachlover, thanks fore the info.

New Years Eve sounds like a blast!

A few more questions:

Does the train make stops along the way where you can get off and stretch your legs, or grab a smoke?

Where is the Bkk train station located?

And most importantly, in those second class bunks, do they charge a joiners fee?

ceejay
January 17th, 2010, 21:02
The station is Hua Lamphong. Central and easy to reach, it has a station on the MRT system, or less than 100 baht taxi meter from Silom.

The Nong Khai one stopped at a good few stations along the way, but never long enough to get out. This is the timetable for Chiang Mai:
http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp
(Something I notice here is that there is a choice between a/c and fan 2nd class sleepers at different prices)

No joiners fees that I know of :rolling:

Incidentally, something else I have been warned of. The train system has its own police force. They check documents from time to time - you must have your passport with you. They don't accept photocopies.

January 17th, 2010, 21:46
Ceejay, thanks VERY much for all of your reports (just finished reading your Lao postings at Gaytingtong). Really helpful and of great interest. Cheers.

January 17th, 2010, 23:40
DODGER - The Night Bazaar is a fairly large area of streets with vendors set up in the same manner as many other areas of Thailand selling the normal items along with some decent wood carvings, silks, etc. It is a very lively area with mostly Farangs shopping. In some areas the vendors are opposite shops and restaurants, in others they are in the middle of a larger lot surrounded by more restaurants and shops and other services. It is a great place to roam around in the cool evening air. There are some beer gardens with live music, there are many open air massage places, and food vendors. But when I say massage places don't get the vision of shirtless lads beckoning you - it is more the real Thai style of the tough women planting their elbow in your back to work out the kinks. It was one of my favorite activities as some massage places face the street or shopping areas and you can get a 200 baht foot massage for an hour and people watch. There is a nice variety of outdoor and indoor restaurants serving all types of food. I especially liked Dukes where they had great Ribs. Outside Dukes on the corner was also a Roti vendor who did a great job and always had a line. I especially liked the banana and honey roti.

I did not visit any boy bars in this area. They may exist down by the D2 hotel according to the literature, but the CM scene is not in-your-face like Pattaya or BKK and they were not obvious and it was nice to enjoy other things for a change. The boys I did see at the other CM venues had a different look than the Issan style boys. Some were from Burma or other areas of Northern Thailand and equally handsome.

I also visited the University which is a VERY big area. It would probably be worthwhile to do a bit more research on where the Uni students hang out.

I went by plane and found it quick and easy and there are some internet deals but I did not use the discount carriers. You can also take a bus to Chiang Rai which was a nice trip also.

Beachlover
January 18th, 2010, 02:27
Yes... the train makes regular stops along the way. The further North you get, expect to be accompanied by chickens and dogs when you step out for a smoke.

bao-bao
January 18th, 2010, 04:56
The Night Bazaar is a fairly large area of streets with vendors set up in the same manner as many other areas of Thailand selling the normal items along with some decent wood carvings, silks, etc. It is a very lively area with mostly Farangs shopping. In some areas the vendors are opposite shops and restaurants, in others they are in the middle of a larger lot surrounded by more restaurants and shops and other services. It is a great place to roam around in the cool evening air.
I wholeheartedly agree, New2009. The Night Market area inside the "old city" (I entered at the Chang Phueak gate) was more than I could see in two full evenings of wandering around. Granted, I did stop to sit and people watch, take pictures and snack every so often, but I'm looking forward to another visit sometime.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/W-NightMarket01.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/W-NightMarketMusician01.jpg

Dodger
January 18th, 2010, 06:11
New2009 & Beachlover...

Thanks again for the info.

Bao-Bao...great pictures.

Since I won't know where to start...I think I'll stand outside the front doors of the university with a sign..."Farang Needs Guide for Short Time"

New2009; understanding that you prefer the muscular type guys, are there any fem types hanging around? Not ladyboys, as I'm switching from that venue. But you know, those slightly camp looking boys with bent wrists and big noses?

January 18th, 2010, 10:41
DODGER - I would suggest striking up a conversation with the pool boys or bar manager at the hotel pool. Some of them may fit your preference and they could certainly help you with the specific types you look for.

Dodger
January 18th, 2010, 17:58
"Pool Boys"...ummm... what a way to start the day!

A little splish-splash in the pool...a tall glass of iced nam zapalope (sp?)...a few colorful slices of fresh melon (just for effect)...and a few cute boys wearing those snug little cabana shorts trotting around; I'm really starting to like this vision.

Have any of you guys ever visited CM during Songkran? I heard it's the BEST.

January 18th, 2010, 20:47
Yes, the massage place opens around noon as I recall. The massage boys hang around the pool after that. When I went down I was the only farang and I had a pleasant time chatting with the boys. There is a bar at the pool and later in the day they have a snack party. I found it a nice place to relax between tourist type outings. Some of the boys are sleeping and some like to chat.

January 23rd, 2010, 10:07
I just got back from 7 weeks in Thailand. I spent 1 week of my stay in Chiang Mai. I agree with what everyone says about Chiang Mai. It is the most wonderful gay city in Bangkok. Everytime I go back to Thailand, I'm convinced more and more that Chiang Mai is where I intend to retire. The men there are extremely sweet and handsome. The pace of CM is blows Bangkok out of the water. First and foremost, people still smile there.

The Lavendar Lanna..... Hhm, I thought the hotel was fine. I stayed in their most expensive room, ( I think that would be the deluxe?) The room was big enough, the view was nice, but it was slightly dirty and a bit worn around the edges. My night tables were turned around because the front sides were very worn and I don't think the drawers had handles. The windowsills were dusty and had dead bugs. The carpet was a bit old. My bed was fantastic though.

The lobby area was extremely nice. I sat right outside the lobby doors every night for an hour or so and had drinks and watched a few boys go downstairs to the disco. What I found strange is that the staff never once spoke to me. I had to go find someone to order a drink and no one ever asked if I wanted another. I was thinking that maybe I'm a bit intimidating looking, I am afterall, 2 metres tall, shaved head, and in very good shape. I tried smiling at the staff and young guys as they walked by but "didn't get a nibble". I also thought it was an exclusively gay hotel but I was wrong. I saw quite a few straight families. I'm sure I would stay there again because the location is great and I can see that it is new and perhaps they are working out the little kinks.

Massages... Go to the River House Massage. (I think that's the name.It beautiful and located right on the river.) The hostess, a woman who was a former waiter at the telephone several years ago, is very nice. If you don't like what you see, she has photos of free-lancers that they can call upon. Ask for "Mack" He's hot, gives a great massage, and has an irresistible smile.

Well enough said. Enjoy

nanette
February 14th, 2010, 10:27
We stayed at the Mercure Hotel in Chang Pueak during our recent visit to Chiang Mai. Nice room & great staff for approx. US37 per night inclusive of buffet breakfast for two. Gay-friendly hotel, and location was walking distance to Circle Pub, Free Guy, New My Way, and others...Drinks about 180 baht, and guys were generally cute & masculine. Ladyboys did not make the parade, but performed in some shows.
Happy hours drinks at the Night Bazaar bars eg Cream etc at 60 baht only. Those behind the D2 Hotel were still open with friendly staff.
Mandalay disco at Moon Muang road near Thapae gate had a live band with many singers & dancers. Quite full for a cavernous place, and beers/drinks were about 130 baht. Nice place if you like Thai live-band music.
Nice time to visit in late January - clear days & cool nights.

bao-bao
February 14th, 2010, 20:57
Thanks for the review, nanette. It's always nice to see constructive posts here - helps to balance out the rampant dumping from the resident sh*theads.

Nirvana
March 12th, 2010, 02:06
I stayed at "Lavender Lanni " Jan/2010 for a few days ..booked on line (there web site is a mish mash )..
picked up at the airport ..everything is going to plan ...entered the reception area ... a complete Dead ZONE....
staff did not have a clue what was going on ...sorry sir .. no booking ..but you picked me up at the airport ..
sat in the lobby for an hour while they sorted out the screw up .. not as much as a glass of water sir ...
the room ... could'nt swing a cat in it ..or the bathroom .. bugs incl. one good point ..comfortable bed ...
breakfast is a joke ....menu on the table ..but you can't order from it ..only "buffet"..a few other small screw ups
met the "owner /manager " expresed my observations .. he put in down to "staffing problems "
bottom line ..would not stay there again nor recommend it ...

thenorthguy
April 1st, 2010, 17:51
Yes I spelt it wrong......but you know what I mean......has power boys closed

tomas1
April 9th, 2010, 01:20
Power Boys is open, as are all other fascilities except for the Cabaret. Stayed there 2-5 april. Yes, the knowledge of how to run a hotel was more or less non-existing, but I was well received, and they tried to do their best. Would not have any problems to stay there again, but the location means that you need transportation whatever you want to do.

April 11th, 2010, 22:12
I think Chiang Mai boys are the cutest... don't know why... but this part of Thailand seems to produce the most han-sam boys.

except for Powerboys seems most of the other bars (especially the host bars) recruit shan boys from myanmar, at least that's what one boy told me, and seems confirmed by the fact that their English is usually much better (or at least different) than the one of local thai boys.

April 11th, 2010, 22:14
Hello and tks so much for all these infos.
The titel of your report mentions "Nov-Dec 2009". Did you stay two months in CM ? always in the Lavender Hotel ? and how much are the rooms ?
I am planning a 3 months stay for the autumn.
Tks in advance for your kind answer. K.

I've posted a review in another thread ( gay-thailand/lavender-hotel-chaing-mai-t18820.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand/lavender-hotel-chaing-mai-t18820.html) ), with a link to some photo I've done..

Smiles
May 9th, 2010, 21:36
Why is this thread stickied to the top of the Forum? More importance than others? More vital information than other topics? What 'Anouncements and News'?
Even the dates in the subject line have long past.
WTF???

May 9th, 2010, 21:49
May the Jinks be with you...

paperboy
May 9th, 2010, 23:17
what does that mean???????????????

jinks
May 10th, 2010, 02:21
May the jinks be with you...

Why OH why is it always me.....

When the last but one doctor thought he was the last Timelord he as told.....

There is another

May 11th, 2010, 00:53
Why is this thread stickied to the top of the Forum?
[X] Most probably because Chiang Mai is in the north of Thailand.

http://www.silverbird.co.uk/images/maps/Thailand.jpg

[X] And in Chiang Mai there is a hotel called Lavender Lanna ...

Wesley
June 22nd, 2010, 11:03

except for Powerboys seems most of the other bars (especially the host bars) recruit shan boys from myanmar, at least that's what one boy told me, and seems confirmed by the fact that their English is usually much better (or at least different) than the one of local thai boys.

I loved Chiang Mai and will remain a good thought in my mind until I die.

Wes

Beachlover
June 22nd, 2010, 14:05

Yeah, but I was talking about actual Chiang Mai boys... not the ones who work in bars, wherever the are from.

Beachlover
June 22nd, 2010, 14:06
Why is this thread stickied to the top of the Forum? More importance than others? More vital information than other topics? What 'Anouncements and News'?
Even the dates in the subject line have long past.
WTF???

It's because you get dimples when you get mad and jinks likes that lol.

jinks
June 22nd, 2010, 17:33
It's because you get dimples when you get mad and jinks likes that lol.

There is a god bigger than me. HE made it sticky, if fact its an NEWS item with has higher priority.
(In reality, I think, it is to do with the portal page listing set by the robots that trawl and index the whole site)