View Full Version : Dongtan gay beach

thrillbill
January 9th, 2010, 23:00
In another forum (Urban Cowboy's) he observed how the gay beach area in Jomtien has become so mixed. I have also observed this more this tourist peak season-- many Russian families and other couples ??? in the Dongtan area. When my Thai bf from BKK comes down to visit, we like to go to Dongtan Beach to relax and people watch on weekends. We don't stay at the Ritz??? section which is packed but we sit in the area near Tui's. I realize that everyone is "free" to choose where they want to sit, but most Western families would stay away from a gay beach area realizing the privacy issue. What is the solution, to put up more rainbow flags or what? I think Dongtan gay beach is losing its claim.

Thai Dyed
January 9th, 2010, 23:25
In another forum (Urban Cowboy's) he observed how the gay beach area in Jomtien has become so mixed. I have also observed this more this tourist peak season-- many Russian families and other couples ??? in the Dongtan area. When my Thai bf from BKK comes down to visit, we like to go to Dongtan Beach to relax and people watch on weekends. We don't stay at the Ritz??? section which is packed but we sit in the area near Tui's. I realize that everyone is "free" to choose where they want to sit, but most Western families would stay away from a gay beach area realizing the privacy issue. What is the solution, to put up more rainbow flags or what? I think Dongtan gay beach is losing its claim.

The symbolism and message of the "rainbow flag" seems to be this which I copied from the web: "The use of rainbow flags has a long tradition; they are displayed in many cultures around the world as a sign of diversity and inclusiveness".

So now you want to stay in a gay ghetto? I always thought the idea was acceptance of diversity in all its forms? I know several families who like the idea of exposing their kids to a wide array of what life has to offer, sexually and otherwise.
And what is the "privacy issue". Do you think a beach is your private club?

January 9th, 2010, 23:33
Which are worst:
The fat Russian babushkas or the fat German paedos? Both groups I could do without.

thrillbill
January 10th, 2010, 08:59
Thai Dyed stated:

The symbolism and message of the "rainbow flag" seems to be this which I copied from the web: "The use of rainbow flags has a long tradition; they are displayed in many cultures around the world as a sign of diversity and inclusiveness".

So now you want to stay in a gay ghetto? I always thought the idea was acceptance of diversity in all its forms? I know several families who like the idea of exposing their kids to a wide array of what life has to offer, sexually and otherwise.
And what is the "privacy issue". Do you think a beach is your private club?"
Comment: Yes, expose your "family" to the vendors walking around selling sex DVD's; older fat farangs along the beach holding hands with a Thai boy that is 40 years younger; the "foot-groin" massages next to your chair... When my BF and I are at Dongtan Beach we just ignore the families and kids and still show affection to one another...it is their problem,not ours. I understand Thai Dyed's point about the rainbow flag representing inclusiveness; however, at other "gay beaches" around the world, families tend to stay away from beaches displaying the rainbow flag.

francois
January 10th, 2010, 10:07
I doubt the Russians recognize the gay flag or know a beach is gay or not gay. I think the word is "clueless".

Koh Samui Luv
January 10th, 2010, 10:51
I doubt the Russians recognize the gay flag or know a beach is gay or not gay. I think the word is "clueless".

But Ugandans are not so "clueless". They know how to handle gays who get too uppity or feisty.
Did you see? The New York Times piece about how Ugandan officials took the American evangelicals' beliefs about the best ways to punish/reform "evil" gays to its natural conclusion, and decided, if all other forcible rehab options fail, it would be perfectly appropriate to simply exterminate the homosexuals?

January 10th, 2010, 22:31
There is normally only a gay flag at the far end of the gay area.

One at both ends might discourage a few of the fat white cows.

Beachlover
January 11th, 2010, 04:35
Heh... What if all the gay guys just "Moooo'd" whenever a lady approaches? (I am kidding)

January 11th, 2010, 05:34
Heh... What if all the gay guys just "Moooo'd" whenever a lady approaches? (I am kidding)

You might be kidding, but that's one of the better Sawatdee ideas. Ideally there should be a Thai guy sat on your lap mooing at the same time.

vanek333
January 12th, 2010, 09:59
Agree, when last there, many straight couples and familys took up residence on this section of the beach, lets face it its only a small section the gay comunity asks to have, cant they at least leave us alone at this one spot?
We stay at the Rabbit and will be again in March, hope its quieter then.

Koh Samui Luv
January 12th, 2010, 17:35
Well, maybe it's time to think about leaving Thailand? Now that families have invaded our most cloistered areas of Jomtien and Boyztown there may be no option open to us but to move on.

And lo and behold! The New York Times listed the best destinations for travel in 2010 this past Sunday and claims that San Francisco, Amsterdam, Provincetown, Mykonos and Ibiza have to step aside. They announce the next big gay thing is Nepal! "Nepal is moving ahead full throttle!" Pink Mountain Travels will be arranging gay nuptials and honeymoons at the Mount Everest base camp! I'm booking my flight first thing in the morning. Sayonara Thailand!

Nepal
San Francisco, Amsterdam and Provincetown? Been there. Mykonos and Ibiza? Done that. Looking for the next gay destination? How about the Himalayan country of Nepal? Yes, Nepal.
In the roughly two years since the nationтАЩs supreme court ordered that gay, lesbians and transgendered people be afforded equal rights, this conservative, mostly-Hindu country appears to be moving ahead full throttle.
Gay friendly clubs now dot its capital. (Go to http://www.utopia-asia.com for listings.) A тАЬthird genderтАЭ category is an option on national I.D. cards. Recently, a transgender beauty queen even got a photo op with the prime minister. And now thereтАЩs a tourist agency in Katmandu that is promoting gay tourism to Nepal.
Started by Sunil Babu Pant, an openly-gay legislator, Pink Mountain Travels and Tours (http://www.pinkyatra.com) promises to marry adventure travel with gay weddings. With talk that Nepal may legalize same-sex marriage this year as the country hammers out a new constitution (and, perhaps more importantly, deals with recent bouts of civil unrest), Mr. Pant is offering to hold nuptials at the Mount Everest base camp, jungle safari honeymoons and bridal processions on elephant back.

January 12th, 2010, 23:58
Back in Thailand and ON topic, it might be better to think of a few ideas to mildly discourage fat white cows from invading the gay area.

Lobbying the concession holders to stick up a few more gay flags would be a good start. Minimum of one at BOTH ends.
Preferably 2 flags on every concession.

Surfcrest
January 13th, 2010, 11:29
Unfortunately guys, this is the gay part of a public beach that weтАЩve made our own simply by patronized it for so many years. The Hotels, Condos and Restaurants in the area are not specifically gay and welcome business from straight and gay customers, especially in low season. ItтАЩs the beach itself that has attracted so much development over the years and so itтАЩs natural with how close this new development is to the gay beach that straight investors and hotel guests would move in. Continuing to patronize it is the only way to keep it our own and even with that thereтАЩs no guarantee it wonтАЩt change. The gay section has moved farther down the beach over the years and when they were doing this do you think they were moving the chairs, or moving us?

January 13th, 2010, 17:53
Back in Thailand and ON topic, it might be better to think of a few ideas to mildly discourage fat white cows from invading the gay area.

Lobbying the concession holders to stick up a few more gay flags would be a good start. Minimum of one at BOTH ends.
Preferably 2 flags on every concession.

if the unappealing sight of the customers in the deckchairs doesnt scare straight people off, a couple of colourful flags isnt going to do it

January 14th, 2010, 01:37
if the unappealing sight of the customers in the deckchairs doesnt scare straight people off, a couple of colourful flags isnt going to do it

The clinically obese fat cows that invade the gay section do not recognise unappealing sights. After all, look at what they see in the mirror every morning.