PDA

View Full Version : Qnatas sacking Thai based cabin crew

lonelywombat
January 8th, 2010, 16:21
I heard tonight that Qantas has decided to retire Thai based cabin crew over abuse of sick leave benefits.

Apparently the sinful pleasures of the old dart has led to many [Thai] to call in sick which not only gives an extra day[s] in the UK but extra allowances as well. They flew mainly to the UK and OZ from BKK.

Will try for more info. My source did not seem to worry about talking about this.

My feelings are mixed. I loved the Thai boys that were cabin crew on both Qantas and Jetstar but was never excited about their committment, dedication or interest in the job.

Another good idea and opportunity that Thais did not appreciate.

TOT

January 8th, 2010, 16:37
Another good idea and opportunity that Thais did not appreciate.

TOT

Yawn, yawn nothing new there I'm afraid!

January 8th, 2010, 17:33
My God!
Employees abusing their sick-leave benefits?
Unheard of!
Whatever next?
The sort of thing that only happens with ungrateful Thais and NEVER with Aussies or Brits!
Isn't that right lonelywombat?

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

lonelywombat
January 8th, 2010, 17:49
My God!
Employees abusing their sick-leave benefits?
Unheard of!
Whatever next?
The sort of thing that only happens with ungrateful Thais and NEVER with Aussies or Brits!
Isn't that right lonelywombat?

:
From what I recall the Thai are paid much lower wages that their OZ crew members but the same
allowances in London. I am not sure how it is being manipulated. Nor do I care.

January 8th, 2010, 18:05
Lonelywombat,

Your post brought a smile to my face...just the perfect thing for Thai boys to get sacked for, bless their hearts. I mean, if there is a more perfect metaphor for what our beautiful, sweet Thai boys are willing to risk their jobs for, I don't know what.

They are SOOO cute, even when they've been BAD BOYS, hehe!

Sad that it happened, but there goes my wonderful Thai guys!

Now, I've got my eyes on at least a dozen Thai Air and Thai Air Asia and Philippine Air cabin crew members and I swear one of these days I'll get the guts to ask one of them out.

Hmmm
January 8th, 2010, 18:09
For some reason many Thais seem to think cabin crew is the next best job to movie star. And with few full-service international airlines employing Thai crew, the jobs are very competitive. Qantas pay their Thai crew half or less of what they pay Australians, for the same job. So the airline must have a very good reason if they're contemplating getting rid of Thai crew. And many of the Thai crew have Masters degrees, which puts them 1-2 degrees and a language ahead of most of the Australian crew. I expect all that may begin to grate after a while, whether justified or not, when the initial gloss wears off the job.

It would be a pity not to be able to play "spot the queeny Thai cabin boy" on Qantas though.

Beachlover
January 8th, 2010, 18:16
Don't think I ever saw any of these Thai crew.... strange.

It's a shame though. Cute Thai male flight attendants would make that 9 hrs stuck in a tube more enjoyable.

January 8th, 2010, 18:19
It's a shame though. Cute Thai male flight attendants would make that 9 hrs stuck in a tube more enjoyable.

Ah, they do, BL...and dang if I don't have to go to the toilet at least three times during those nine hour 'tube stucks'.

January 8th, 2010, 18:24
...........Now, I've got my eyes on at least a dozen Thai Air and Thai Air Asia and Philippine Air cabin crew members and I swear one of these days I'll get the guts to ask one of them out.

Go the whole hog Jack - make it an orgy with your air stewards, your Foodmart boys and the guy that wants to shag all the Cafe Royale waiters!!

:bee: :bee: :bee:

January 8th, 2010, 18:50
Re: Qnatas sacking Thai based cabin crew
Author: scottish-guy ┬╗ Fri 8 Jan, 2010 7:24 am

jacklipton wrote:
...........Now, I've got my eyes on at least a dozen Thai Air and Thai Air Asia and Philippine Air cabin crew members and I swear one of these days I'll get the guts to ask one of them out.

Go the whole hog Jack - make it an orgy with your air stewards, your Foodmart boys and the guy that wants to shag all the Cafe Royale waiters!!

Great idea, Scottie! And you can join too! Sadly, I suspect that it'll just be me, you and the Cafe Royal guy holding our wankers in a very dirty short time hotel room... :-(

January 8th, 2010, 19:24
Maybe British Airways can take them on?

BA stewards are the most overpaid, useless, lazy and stupid bunch of greedy cunts that ever took a food trolley into the air. They don't deserve their jobs. Give their jobs to the Thai boys.

Hmmm
January 8th, 2010, 21:44
Don't think I ever saw any of these Thai crew.... strange.

They've been harder to find for a while. When Qantas flew into Don Muang to and from Heathrow and several Australian cities, the lineup at the luggage carousel often meant up to 10 cute Thai cabin crew off-loading. At least a couple of these always seemed to be PLU, sashaying about in those cool black button-up Qantas suits. :happy7:

These days there are fewer QF flights into BKK, and it seems to be more like 3 or 4 Thai crew, and PLU are hit and miss. I am not sure if more Thai crew fly BKK-LHR-BKK or BKK-SYD-BKK.

January 9th, 2010, 02:55
I heard tonight that Qantas has decided to retire Thai based cabin crew over abuse of sick leave benefits.I'm not sure where you get your news from LW (and closing the Bangkok base happened several months ago) but I put your story to my mate high up in the Qantas cabin crew hierarchy and he laughed (a lot). Given that the Thai crew were paid Thai wages but standard allowances their only interest was in flying as much as possible. Sitting at home on 20,000 baht a month wouldn't do much for their hopes of fortune. The Thai cabin crew were axed as Bangkok is much less important to Qantas now there's only one route they can travel - Bangkok-Sydney - unless Qantas was prepared to accommodate them in hotels while flying other sectors. The Bangkok-London sector is crewed by low-paid London-based staff who can also fly London-Singapore. Having single-sector cabin crew didn't give Qantas the flexibility they wanted.

thrillbill
January 9th, 2010, 09:55
I heard tonight that Qantas has decided to retire Thai based cabin crew over abuse of sick leave benefits.I'm not sure where you get your news from LW (and closing the Bangkok base happened several months ago) but I put your story to my mate high up in the Qantas cabin crew hierarchy and he laughed (a lot). Given that the Thai crew were paid Thai wages but standard allowances their only interest was in flying as much as possible. Sitting at home on 20,000 baht a month wouldn't do much for their hopes of fortune. The Thai cabin crew were axed as Bangkok is much less important to Qantas now there's only one route they can travel - Bangkok-Sydney - unless Qantas was prepared to accommodate them in hotels while flying other sectors. The Bangkok-London sector is crewed by low-paid London-based staff who can also fly London-Singapore. Having single-sector cabin crew didn't give Qantas the flexibility they wanted.

Good info Copper - (Here is a good one) I was told by my Hong Kong friend who works for Cathay Pacific that Quantas intentionally hires gays for their trolly-dollys since they are better with customer service than the straight flight attendants. So I guess when you are flying Quantas, you don't have to have your G-radar when eyeing the one delivering your blanket or drink.

January 9th, 2010, 12:54
Good info Copper - (Here is a good one) I was told by my Hong Kong friend who works for Cathay Pacific that Quantas intentionally hires gays for their trolly-dollys since they are better with customer service than the straight flight attendants.Another airline myth I should think. Most flight attendants on Qantas are "lard-arsed women in trousers" (quote from my friend in the Qantas hierarchy). The best cabin service by far is Singapore Airlines of the very few airlines I've flown. The Qantas problem is that, cabin crew queens or not, they are obsessed by Occ. Health & Safety which means that some 70-year-old pooftah with a zimmer frame will not be assisted by Qantas cabin crew to put his bag in an overhead locker in case they damage their back. Unfortunately almost all Western airlines have the same attitude so I'm told. Many posters here are so busy posting "things they've been told" that they don't stop to think whether what they've been told makes any sense at all, LW's original post is a typical example of this.

January 10th, 2010, 05:19
Well, sweetie, the real reason is that Qantas (Jetstar) has amalgamated with Air Asia X, and they intend to use the KL LCC terminal as the entry point for all asian cities. That is, you will fly from AUS to KL, change planes, with luggage checked through to your destination, Bangkok, Phuket, Chaing Mai, singapore or elsewhere in asia and india, China, HK and indeed Europe.

This has been done to 'knock off' Tiger Airways, owned by rivals Singapore Airlines, who are at present, offering very cheap fares within AUS and to asia.

Qantas will fly SYD BKK LHR and all the rest will be via KL, Darlings.

Beachlover
January 10th, 2010, 18:36
I notice V Australia (subsidiary of Virgin Blue) has started offering direct flights to Thailand... I just wish they would fly direct to Bangkok/Phuket out of Sydney... hopefully they will in due course.

lonelywombat
January 11th, 2010, 05:31
Quote copperpheel
l'm not sure where you get your news from LW (and closing the Bangkok base happened several months ago) but I put your story to my mate high up in the Qantas cabin crew hierarchy and he laughed (a lot). Given that the Thai crew were paid Thai wages but standard allowances their only interest was in flying as much as possible. Sitting at home on 20,000 baht a month wouldn't do much for their hopes of fortune. The Thai cabin crew were axed as Bangkok is much less important to Qantas now there's only one route they can travel - Bangkok-Sydney - unless Qantas was prepared to accommodate them in hotels while flying other sectors. The Bangkok-London sector is crewed by low-paid London-based staff who can also fly London-Singapore. Having single-sector cabin crew didn't give Qantas the flexibility they wanted. end of quote

The quote button has disappeared.

I waited for the cabin crew member to return home and asked him if I had misheard his remarks. I was told they were correct, but history now.
He confirmed the Thais did fly BKK/LHR and also HKK/LHR flying as commercial passengers BKK/HKG , maybe not recently but I did not say that The scam was to report sick in London and as their roster was 2 flights per week, they gained an extra 3 days in London on higher expenses, was confirmed.

Regardless, the point of the post was that Qantas has laid off all 160 Thai cabin crew as they were out of, or uncontracted.
I had heard later in the night that Qantas subsidary Jetstar together with their new Budget Airline Partner, may be taking on the sacked cabin crew at lower wages. Time will tell.

No point me flying to Sydney with that awful shambles transferring between terminals, if the eye candy has gone. Jetstar flies direct but is poor value. Back to Thai for their non stop full service flights at reasonable times which saves me almost 3 hours travelling time.

January 15th, 2010, 18:24

BA stewards are the most overpaid, useless, lazy and stupid bunch of greedy cunts that ever took a food trolley into the air. They don't deserve their jobs. Give their jobs to the Thai boys.

Strange, I said the same thing about Qantas Queens of the skies.
I didn't think B.A. flight staff were all that bad.

January 30th, 2010, 06:08
Well, sweetie, the real reason is that Qantas (Jetstar) has amalgamated with Air Asia X, and they intend to use the KL LCC terminal as the entry point for all asian cities. That is, you will fly from AUS to KL, change planes, with luggage checked through to your destination, Bangkok, Phuket, Chaing Mai, singapore or elsewhere in asia and india, China, HK and indeed Europe.Perhaps you'd care to comment on yesterday's announcement from Jetstar (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/jetstar-makes-singapore-new-hub-plans-flights-to-europe-20100129-n2n6.html) that they will be using Singapore as their Asian hub? And maybe Lonely Wombat's trolley dolly friend can update us all on the fate of the former Qantas Thai cabin crew who, it would seem, will have to relocate to Singapore to be part of the Jetstar base?

Beachlover
January 30th, 2010, 06:45
It's easy to gloat in hindsight.

lonelywombat
January 30th, 2010, 07:20
Well, sweetie, the real reason is that Qantas (Jetstar) has amalgamated with Air Asia X, and they intend to use the KL LCC terminal as the entry point for all asian cities. That is, you will fly from AUS to KL, change planes, with luggage checked through to your destination, Bangkok, Phuket, Chaing Mai, singapore or elsewhere in asia and india, China, HK and indeed Europe.Perhaps you'd care to comment on yesterday's announcement from Jetstar (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/jetstar-makes-singapore-new-hub-plans-flights-to-europe-20100129-n2n6.html) that they will be using Singapore as their Asian hub? And maybe Lonely Wombat's trolley dolly friend can update us all on the fate of the former Qantas Thai cabin crew who, it would seem, will have to relocate to Singapore to be part of the Jetstar base?

There are already 200 Jetstar cabin crew based in Singapore and whether any are Thai former Qantas cabin crew is not known. I cannot see where my trolly dolly friend would have any interest or need to find out.
I can say that long haul 747 CC saw the Thais as part of the push to lower their wages and conditions. This happened when the A380's were introduced and of concern each time another A380 arrives.

goji
February 1st, 2010, 05:20

Quite right. You did forget to say how they don't give a monkeys about customer service either.

BA = Bloody Awful. I can't wait for them to go bust. A national disgrace (although far from the only one).

lonelywombat
February 2nd, 2010, 08:52
The announcement today that has been rumoured for months, that Qantas is removing first class from all its 747-400 and maintaining only first class in A380, is another nail in the coffin for cabin crew that elected to stay on 747s, and not take a $20,000pa pay cut, to fly on the A380.

Thailand misses out on A380 and will still only be serviced by 747 ex Sydney daily. Jetstar is maintaing its
Syd/BKK flights almost daily and MEL/BKK twice weekly but the Star class is ordinary, cabin crew lowly paid.

February 2nd, 2010, 14:59
I can say that long haul 747 CC saw the Thais as part of the push to lower their wages and conditions. This happened when the A380's were introduced and of concern each time another A380 arrives.You really do spout the most uninformed crap, LW. From the horse's mouth (ie. a member of the Trolley Dollies' trades union Executive - the Flight Attendants Association of Australia or FAAA (Long-Haul)) I can assure you that the crewing of the A380 is the subject of a separate Enterprise Bargaining Agreement so if your rather silly trolley-dolly friend cares to contact his union officals he will find out the truth rather than running off at the mouth to you and then you spouting this nonsense back to us. You can contact the FAAA (http://www.faaa.net) direct if you like. Qantas and BA wrote off Bangkok as a hub years ago when they reviewed the Thais' completely inadequate response to the QF1 crash and each then moved to limit their commitment to the token one flight a day (down from 5 or 8, I believe)

As for your comment Beachlover, I know tone doesn't come across well in Forums but my opinion is unchanged - I am not saying in hindsight "you was wrong" - I was as certain as an outsider with a firm grasp of logic can be that what Lonely Wombat and paul2257 were saying was complete tosh that would eventually be shown to be such when public announcements were made in the fullness of time. Whether or not you believe me is not something that concerns me by the way. Taking his body of posts as a whole, I'm afraid Lonely Wombat would be better off posting under the handle Chicken Little (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sky_Is_Falling_%28fable%29); paul2257's arithmetic in the 2+2 department suggests he failed the Eleven-Plus or whatever the equivalent is in Australia.

danny99
February 2nd, 2010, 15:09

Good info Copper - (Here is a good one) I was told by my Hong Kong friend who works for Cathay Pacific that Quantas intentionally hires gays for their trolly-dollys since they are better with customer service than the straight flight attendants. So I guess when you are flying Quantas, you don't have to have your G-radar when eyeing the one delivering your blanket or drink.

When Chairman Alf was touring Australia, Warren Mitchell [Alf Garnett] used to crack up the audience with his 'assumed' heavy cockney accent when pronouncing Australia's pride and joy as...Quaint Arse...according to Alf the only world airline on which you could not tell the stewards from the hosties.

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2010, 20:45
Thailand misses out on A380 and will still only be serviced by 747 ex Sydney daily. Jetstar is maintaing its
Syd/BKK flights almost daily and MEL/BKK twice weekly but the Star class is ordinary, cabin crew lowly paid.

Jetstar flies SYD/BKK direct daily?

No... from Sydney Jetstar only does Phuket direct.

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2010, 20:47
Last time I had the misfortune to fly from Syney I was put not on Qantas as I asked for, but BA, they really are up there ass the stewards/sses, they look on you as if you should be serving them and they should be sitting down, what training do they get to act like that never again?

Q and BA codeshare enormously on SYD/BKK flights... they both have multiple daily flights. When you book...(if you have half a clue) you can select to only be on Q flights if you want to avoid BA.

BA seem to be cheapest for the SYD-BKK route right now though.

Beachlover
February 2nd, 2010, 20:48
Last time I had the misfortune to fly from Syney I was put not on Qantas as I asked for, but BA, they really are up there ass the stewards/sses, they look on you as if you should be serving them and they should be sitting down, what training do they get to act like that never again?

Ahem.

LMTU/Bottoms Up?

February 3rd, 2010, 02:24
Q and BA codeshare enormously on SYD/BKK flights... they both have multiple daily flights. When you book...(if you have half a clue) you can select to only be on Q flights if you want to avoid BA."Codeshare enormously", "multiple flight". The facts are that Qantas and BA codeshare on all flights between Australia and the UK, just as Qantas and American Airlines codeshare on all flights between Australia and the US. It's called oneworld (and to its intimates, wallyworld). BA and Qantas each have exactly one flight daily in each direction through Bangkok and it's very easy to work out whether you're going to be flying on a BA or Qantas aircraft. The Qantas flight numbers on Qantas aircraft are 1 (to Bangkok/London) and 2 (from London/Bangkok); the Qantas flight numbers on BA aircraft have "30" in front of them, so 301 and 302. The only difference in code-sharing ion what I have written is that while Qantas and American Airlines code share across the Pacific, only Qantas aircraft fly the route.

Qantas (and most other airlines) are waiting for Thai Airways to start flying the A380 so that that airline can sort out the inevitable problems flying such a different aircraft will bring, especially as Western airlines generally perceive (some Australian vernacular especially for Beachlover and Lonely Wombat) that "the Thais couldn't run a choko vine over a country dunny" (and for the rest of us that the Thais are, quite simply, incompetent).

Hmmm
February 3rd, 2010, 16:35
BA used to own a significant chunk of Qantas. The two airlines have a "joint services agreement" on the Australia-UK route that I believe still survives, despite trade practices concerns in the countries through which the airlines operate. That makes it more than just a codeshare arrangement. They share passengers and even revenue. In my experience, the two airlines' flights on the same routes (eg SYD/BKK, BKK/LHR) used to fall within a few dollars of each other. However I have recently seen some BA prices that have been 25% cheaper than Qantas on the same date for the same class.