PDA

View Full Version : Perfect beach readin' book ...

Smiles
January 8th, 2010, 10:44
To get this book to the beach will require a Baht Bus or two (it's 700 pages) but please don't let size alone dissuade you (has it ever before, Mr. 10 inches?).
Ms Hilary Mantel has written a glorious and cantputitdown novel of court intrigue, murder, deception, (rare) tenderness, treachery ~ and much more ~ during the reign of Henry VIII, but, more to the point ( 'More', get it?? ), Henry's right hand son-of-a-bitch, a compelling and fascinating Mr Thomas Cromwell ~ the eminence grise of this story (him taking lead role in the beheading of "that whore" Anne Boleyn). It's title: 'Wolf Hall'

Granted, one should probably already be interested in this Tudor era of English history to receive full benefit ~ Mantel assumes quite a lot of fore-knowledge ~ but having that, you'll love this book.

I hugely envy her writing style, especially her dexterity: she easily goes minimalist ~ encapsulating his Mentor, Cardinal Wolsey, in a few spare words, Cromwell charmingly, almost lovingly, describes his boss as a sometimes-humanist prelate " ... who'd burn books, but not men ... ", generous praise indeed in 16th century England. She just as easily switches gear into descriptive depth worthy of Thomas Wolfe or Thomas Hardy ~ lots of 'Thomas-es' around it seems: as (Thomas) Wolsey says to Cromwell: " ... it seems the whole world is made of men with that name ... "

Reading Mantel's words make me feel I'm bathing/savouring in a warm pool ... a safe watery womb of words: Commenting on Cardinal Wolsey's immense wardrobe, Cromwell remarks:
" ... (Behold) the Cardinal's vestments, his copes. Stiff with embroidery, strewn with pearls, encrusted with gemstones, they seem to stand by themselves ... "

Easy ~ and fun ~ to admire an author (and a character like Cromwell, though you're not supposed to, says the Gathered Opinion) who can say so much in some few words: On Cromwell leaving his home for a day's work:
" ... It's eight o'clock [he must be off]. Lizzie [Cromwells wife] is down. Her hair pushed under a linen cap, and her sleeves turned up . . . He gathers his papers for the day. Pats his wife, kisses his dog. Goes out"

And Hilary's an historian as well as a novelist and gives out delightful unheard-of snippets of Tudor life at court: Describing a Mr Harry Norris, a favourite of King Henry's (for evident reason):
" ... Then someone shouts, 'It's Harry Norris.' Harry throws himself from his mount. Whatever he's come to do, he's in a lather about doing it. Harry Norris is one of the King's closest friends; he is, to be exact, The Groom of The Stool, the man who hands the diaper cloth ... "
But I'm only on Chapter 5, so there's much to get through and I must rush: unfurl that umbrella, knave! ... brandish that beer glass, wench! ... hoist my chair to shadow side, fool! ... quickly! The som tum! You!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/forum%20photos%202/cromwell.jpg

Here's a link to a better and longer book review: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/b ... s_acocella (http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2009/10/19/091019crbo_books_acocella)
'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel is available at Asia Books. I bought my copy (395 baht, paperback) at the store located just at the corner to the walking street (The Yellow Brick Road) going toward the gay umbrellas on Dongtan Beach, but there are Asia Book stores all over the place.

__________________________________________________ __

EXTRA PLUG: A book of short stories by PeterUK (a Member of this Gentleman's Board) ~ 'If Truth Be Told' ~ is on sale at Asia Books as well. In fact, at the Dongtan store, when you locate 'Wolf Hall', just look straight up a few shelves and you'll find it sitting there: also an excellent read-on-the-beach for folks interested in short stories about gay experiences in Thailand ... from sublime, to charm. to erotic.

springco
January 8th, 2010, 11:14
Now thou seest what happens, Smiles, when the agreements of honourable business stand compromised. If thou wouldst treat Gay Thailand as Global, flowing as the gentle rain from heaven, why, then thou knowest water begets water; it will be a watery grave your rug, drowned in the weeping brook. Pray remember, Smiles.

[attachment=0:1htiwpzf]shakespearepicture.jpg[/attachment:1htiwpzf]

zinzone
January 8th, 2010, 11:19
"Then someone shouts, 'It's Harry Norris.' Harry throws himself from his mount. Whatever he's come to do, he's in a lather about doing it. Harry Norris is one of the King's closest friends; he is, to be exact, The Groom of The Stool, the man who hands the diaper cloth ... " etc. etc

-Thanks for this Smiles, however it sounds like a high class Mills & Boon novel.

Smiles
January 8th, 2010, 11:23
" ... If thou wouldst treat Gay Thailand as Global ... "
'Tis but a fool who'd read some tome
On England's blustery and shivering shore.
Perhaps the swampy putrid sands
Abreast the Ganges' outlet to the sea,
Interests you more?
Forsooth!
This delight is meant for Thailand's sands alone,
At Patong, at Hua Hin, Samui ... or, (hold yer nose!) Dongtam,
Even.

Thus, this For'm is correct.

January 8th, 2010, 14:56
If you have to read hysterical, sorry, historical novels on the beach rather than look at all those browns skinned boys playing volleyball, try "The Bisley Boy" which is all about a boy who became Queen Elizabeth I.