PDA

View Full Version : Songkran Pattaya, 19th April, Booze ban?

wowpow
April 15th, 2006, 03:42
A Thai friend tells me that this is an election day so bars will be closed and shops not allowed to sell alcohol - can it be true? If so I forcast plenty of law breakers. Oh now I see it is a Public Holiday!!

The Nation
"Brisk turnout for Senate elections. Voters in constituencies across the kingdom turned out to exercise their right in advance for Senate election over the past two days. Acting Thai Senate Speaker Suchon Chaleekrue, who also cast his ballot in advance at a Bangkhen constituency in Bangkok on Friday, said he was pleased to know that a number of voters came out for the advanced poll, set on April 13-14.

"I myself has to cast my ballot in advance because next week I have to travel to the northeastern province of Chaiyaphum. I'm happy that voters are aware of the importance of the election for 200 new Thai senators for the Upper House," he told journalists. Mr. Suchaon said he was reported that voters turned out to cast their ballots in all provinces despite downpours of rain in some areas. "This shows that Thai people now understand and pay more attention to the country's political reform," he noted.

"Some voters who want to participate in the political reform, but did not turn out for the April 2 snap election, instead, turned out to cast their ballots in the advance Senate poll," he added. The Senate election was scheduled for next Wednesday (April 19) and the government announced it as a special public holiday.

Unlike appointed senators who in the past only helped scrutinize legislation, elected senators have added mandate of helping monitor government performance and state authority and can lodge petitions to impeach the country's prime minister, cabinet members and government officials who are alleged of corruption and misconduct, according to the acting Senate speaker.

Thai voters have the rights to sign impeachment petitions against any politicians and state authorities, as well as participate in political activities and processes, namely any political reform. Thailand's elected senators will each have a six-year term, while elected 500 members of the House of Representatives, 100 are party-listed elected MPs and the rest are constituency-based MPs, will each have a four- year term. - (TNA)

Jetsam
April 15th, 2006, 04:15
Pol Col Somnuk Changate, superintendent of Pattaya police station, said that normally high alcohol consumption is a feature of this festival, but that day being an election day, alcohol sales are forbidden by law. The police are announcing this to all shops and entertainment establishments in Pattaya City for strict cooperation. Alcohol distribution is forbidden from 6 p.m. on April 18 until midnight after the elections on April 19.

sounds like a dry songkran

wowpow
April 15th, 2006, 15:14
"Bar Closed

The sale of booz will go down in Pattaya on the 18th & 19th April.

From 6pm on 18th to midnight on the 19th All bars Closed and no shop sales of liquor .
Just got a notice in Thai. from hansome police man.

Lek, My Manager tells Me it is Law, Not to Sell beer/ whisky or go to monkey house.
I told him to get out the Tea & Coffe cups."

CHAOTOU
May 1st, 2006, 19:37
Pol Col Somnuk Changate, superintendent of Pattaya police station, said that normally high alcohol consumption is a feature of this festival, but that day being an election day, alcohol sales are forbidden by law. The police are announcing this to all shops and entertainment establishments in Pattaya City for strict cooperation. Alcohol distribution is forbidden from 6 p.m. on April 18 until midnight after the elections on April 19.

sounds like a dry songkran

"Dry Songkran" It most certainly was not. The bars had signs out front that it was election day and that no alcohol would be sold. However, all the 7-11's and Family Marts were selling booze as fast as they could. Alcohol was readily available everywhere.

A good time was had by all. I can't wait to go back next year.

wowpow
May 1st, 2006, 19:43
Tha authorities have announced that next year they will be allocating water throwing areas which will be alcohol free ( that's not the same as free alcohol ) Fat chance!