PDA

View Full Version : Foreign drinkers push up Songkran booze sales

wowpow
April 15th, 2006, 03:34
"Sales of alcoholic beverages are likely to rise 8% during the extended Songkran holiday, Kasikorn Research Centre figures. The growth projected this year will be lower than last yearтАЩs 12.6% surge, however, as political worries and economic volatility dampen consumer moods. The KRC attributes the growth pretty much entirely to consumption by foreign tourists who are expected to spend 1.1 billion baht on alcoholic drinks during the Songkran week.

According to statistics by the Bank of Thailand, sale of liquor in the month of April of 2003-2004 was 7.5% higher than the average during other months - around 70 million litres compared with 63.8 million litres in other months of the year. Beer sales in April peaked at 141.2 million litres, against 132.7 litres in the rest of the year.

KRC projects that 920,000 foreign tourists will visit Thailand during Songkran this year, a robust turnout now that the tourism market has recovered from post-tsunami gloom."

Bangkok Post

Monty-old
April 15th, 2006, 08:57
The sale of booz will go down in Pattaya on the 18th & 19th April.
From 6pm on 18th to midnight on the 19th All bars Closed and no shop sales of liquor .
Just got a notice in Thai. from hansome police man.
Lek, My Manager tells Me it is Law, Not to Sell beer/ whisky or go to monkey house.
I told him to get out the Tea & Coffe cups.