PDA

View Full Version : AN UNPLEASANT MEMORY

January 6th, 2010, 02:52
This has happened to me in several bars in Thailand and it happens all the time in Europe. I must say it doesn't bother me - I simply order another Gin and since there is enough tonic in one bottle for the second Gin it's not so bad.

In Thailand, when drinking whisky I am actually relieved when they bring (and charge) for a bottle of water as a mixer - at least I know whats going in my whisky.

:hello1: :hello1:

paperboy
January 6th, 2010, 06:18
hey
come on im spain, madrid last week i payed 9 euros for a gin tonic, so thats about 428 bahts
so 175 is not bad, cant wait for my holiday roll on june

paperboy

lonelywombat
January 6th, 2010, 11:43
This has happened to me in several bars in Thailand and it happens all the time in Europe. I must say it doesn't bother me - I simply order another Gin and since there is enough tonic in one bottle for the second Gin it's not so bad.

In Thailand, when drinking whisky I am actually relieved when they bring (and charge) for a bottle of water as a mixer - at least I know whats going in my whisky.

:hello1: :hello1:
I have been here 7 years this the first time it has happened to me......

Rogie posted this as a footnote to his post on drink prices on gaythailand.com
(Technical note: La Cage serves up Happy Hour between 5 and 9 (if my memory serves) - my G & T costs 80 baht and comes with proper Schweppes tonic and in two glasses with ice and slice of lemon - once they missed the plastic stick but I can forgive the occasional oversight).

I would assume that if happy hour means half price drinks, then G&T with a small bottle of tonic plus ice and lemon at full price times is probably around 160-175 baht.

Now all we need to know is what price is a gin and tonic at Happy Boys and whether they give an unopened bottle of tonic or not.

Patexpat
January 6th, 2010, 15:33
have to say in over 25 years of travelling here and 8 years of living here I can't recall ever being charged separately for gin and tonic .... although it is common practice in the UK. Not another way of ripping off unsuspecting clients creeping in surely?

lonelywombat
January 6th, 2010, 15:42
have to say in over 25 years of travelling here and 8 years of living here I can't recall ever being charged separately for gin and tonic .... although it is common practice in the UK. Not another way of ripping off unsuspecting clients creeping in surely?

To be frank here in Melbourne where post mix is rampant, I am relieved to get a gin with a bottle of Schweppes Tonic. Post mix is maybe a local term for cheap alternatives to bottled tonic, lemonade,dry ginger,cola.etc.

I do not trust the water in Thailand or the ice cubes, so a neat gin plus an unopened bottled of tonic,is perfect

PinkSilom
January 6th, 2010, 22:16
Rogie posted this . . . my G & T costs 80 baht and comes with proper Schweppes tonic and in two glasses with ice and slice of lemon . . .

I would assume that if happy hour means half price drinks, then G&T with a small bottle of tonic plus ice and lemon at full price times is probably around 160-175 baht.

Happy hour in La Cage means 'buy one get one free'. For 80 baht, Rogie received two measures of gin in seperate glasses and a bottle of Schweppes tonic. When happy hour is over, for 80 baht you get one measure of gin and a bottle of tonic. Nobody in Sunee would pay 175 baht for a 'house' gin and tonic, and I don't believe for one second that Memories Music Bar charge this. Somebody made a mistake.

urban cowboy-old
January 6th, 2010, 22:32
Normal price for a drink like Gin &Tonic in a host bar like La Cage and Memories is 80 - 100 baht. In a gogo bar 150 - 200 baht.

The amount of gin/vodka/whisky in the drink is usually very small, only 2,5 cl. Not very much, since we in Sweden have at least 4,0 cl or even better 6,0 cl. But with the cheap prices in Thailand and the small amounts of alcohol you can gulp many drinks in a night...

January 7th, 2010, 01:22
Pay the tab you cheep prick.

jimnbkk
January 7th, 2010, 02:17

Now wait a minute here. A bar has been severely criticized in this thread, and the proprietor has not replied (apparently). Somebody in Pattaya should give the man a chance to explain his rationale. If he chooses not to do so, then whoever has gone to him should so report.

It's things like this that give a bar a bad rep, and if it's not deserved, then they should have a chance to fix it.

January 7th, 2010, 02:39

Cheap prick?

Where? Where?

Are the balls included in the price?

January 7th, 2010, 04:36
why not speak to the owner hereforme?

January 7th, 2010, 13:30
and if the customer didnt check the bin properly and missed that he had paid for a G&T at 115 baht ( 75 for gin - 40 for tonic) and 1 soda for his friend at 50 baht?

cdnmatt
January 7th, 2010, 13:49
So is this what it's like to get old? When something like this becomes an actual problem in your life, that you need to spend time and energy worrying about?

PinkSilom
January 7th, 2010, 15:59
No mistake! I suggest you go there yourself and order a gin and tonic instead of making a judgement from afar!

I go there often enough to know that either you or the bar staff made an error, thank you. I'm not the one talking absolute nonsense.

January 7th, 2010, 18:41
I go there often enough to know that either you or the bar staff made an error, thank you. I'm not the one talking absolute nonsense.

This bar was the one that came 5th in the "Worst Bar in Thailand" poll.

PinkSilom
January 7th, 2010, 20:03
This bar was the one that came 5th in the "Worst Bar in Thailand" poll.

Yes, 2 of our 2664 members voted Memories as the worst bar in Thailand.