View Full Version : new restaurant - Montecristo

blueboy
January 5th, 2010, 21:00
In the old Flamingo hotel, is a new restaurant called Montecristo - anyone tried it?
Menu outside looks good but quite a bit more pricey than other restaurants in the area.
Is it gay owned? is it the old Luxor owner?

Geezer
January 6th, 2010, 03:46
I do hate to see a new business struggle and perhaps fail but, gee whiz. That makes four French restaurants within a hundred meters -- and one or two are really good.

lonelywombat
January 6th, 2010, 05:46
I do hate to see a new business struggle and perhaps fail but, gee whiz. That makes four French restaurants within a hundred meters -- and one or two are really good.

Diagonally opposite "Flamingo" was a brand new fitted out restaurant that did not appear to open. Any news what happened here.

The French restaurant same side as MonteCristo but south was closed the week I was there last, Has it reopened and what happened to Luxor? This was a good soi for dining, disappointing if it cannot be maintained.

Wazza
January 6th, 2010, 08:34
The Montecristo has been opened by Jaap the former manager of The Flamingo. I have not been so cannot as yet report on the food was waiting a few weeks for things to settle. The Bordeaux is open, Luxor is closed permanently with the fixtures being stripped out in November, it remains an empty shell. Jaap has been involved in business in Pattaya for over two decades and I'm sure very keenly aware of the risks involved, I can only wish him well.

January 6th, 2010, 19:33
I would check those facts again about Jaap being involved in this restaurant!!

The Montecristo has been opened by Jaap the former manager of The Flamingo. I have not been so cannot as yet report on the food was waiting a few weeks for things to settle. The Bordeaux is open, Luxor is closed permanently with the fixtures being stripped out in November, it remains an empty shell. Jaap has been involved in business in Pattaya for over two decades and I'm sure very keenly aware of the risks involved, I can only wish him well.

January 7th, 2010, 18:33
To clearify as to who is and who is not involved in this new restaurant the new owners name is Olivier and for further information he can be reached at 0873807148. By the way when asked if the prior manager was involved in the restaurant he said who?

Is that the same 'Olivier' who has the fine french restaurant in Jomtien Complex?

January 9th, 2010, 03:12
Is that the same 'Olivier' who has the fine french restaurant in Jomtien Complex?As a Pattaya newbie I find all this name-dropping by Pattaya regulars very frustrating. As a public service could someone perhaps provide a "Gay Pattaya Who's Who, Who Was Who and Who's Up Who" (I realise the third section will be a very fast-moving one)?

Richsilver
January 10th, 2010, 16:16
I can't believe this is a thread about a new restaurant with 11 (now 12) posts, yet no one has actually dined there! How about a review??

stevehadders
January 10th, 2010, 17:10
Well I did go and eat at the Montecristo during my last trip, I think just after New Year - but you understand my trips always involve lots of nightlife and so the days tend to merge!
I was made aware of the restaurant by Bert, who used to be a waiter at Le Cafe Royale, and is now a waiter at Montecristo (and he still can be found on the terrace of Le cafe Royale prior to work).
First impressions are good - the Restaurant looks the part. The Menu is quite limited - you have steak with about 8 different styles listed and not a lot else.I cant remember my starter - cant have left a great impression. The steak was cooked to my liking and good, but not a "Wow", but the presentation was good. Wine average. I chose the cheeseboard - which was disappointing.
The service was good, and I was introduced to the 2 owners - French I believe, who were very welcoming.
Overall not bad, but I wouldn't rush back. However, my visit was in their first few days,so I will try again during my next trip, and I do wish them well