View Full Version : book now or wait?

paperboy
January 5th, 2010, 03:11
hi everyone

if you were booking a hotel in june
knowing its the slow season and very quite
would you 1. book now
or 2. wait closer to the time for a better deal

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

thanks
paperboy

January 5th, 2010, 03:52
Personally I like to book things as early as possible and know they are sorted. The lack of stress is more important to me than any small saving I might make by leaving it to the last minute.

I always book direct with the hotels themselves and I find that the rates do not vary significantly whether you book in January or June - for a June stay. Maybe it's different through an agency though.

One thing I have witnessed is agency booked guests being charged joiner fees by the hotel whilst I have been waved through - presumably in an effort to make up the commission they have lost to the booking agent.

I would say, if you are happy with the rate offered now then why not just book it now.

:hello1: :hello1:

paperboy
January 5th, 2010, 04:57
whats a forum for???????????????????
old queens to moan
im comming thialand and want some help
is that too much to ask on a forum
im young and need help

paperboy

paperboy
January 5th, 2010, 05:28
sorry to all forum members
but its my 1st time in thialnd and i need help

paperboy

Beachlover
January 5th, 2010, 05:59
Personally I like to book things as early as possible and know they are sorted. The lack of stress is more important to me than any small saving I might make by leaving it to the last minute.

I always book direct with the hotels themselves and I find that the rates do not vary significantly whether you book in January or June - for a June stay. Maybe it's different through an agency though.

One thing I have witnessed is agency booked guests being charged joiner fees by the hotel whilst I have been waved through - presumably in an effort to make up the commission they have lost to the booking agent.

I would say, if you are happy with the rate offered now then why not just book it now.

I've usually booked through an agency with Thai hotels and never been charged a joiners fee. With Thai hotels... a lot of them don't seem keen to offer their best rate when you book direct. Maybe "discounting" the rate through an agency is a way to save face.

Sometimes you secure a good rate booking early. But often in bad times 2 to 6 weeks in advance is a great time to secure a great rate.

Why?... Because (1) this is when they start to flap about high vacancy rates and (2) the immediate period is always most prominent in their head space. If you put yourself in the shoes of the hotel's Marketing/Promotions Manager... you're mainly focused (desperate) on getting bookings in the next 2 months so this is when you slash rates... 4-5 months ahead is not such a priority.

January 5th, 2010, 06:54
whats a forum for???????????????????
old queens to moan
im comming thialand and want some help
is that too much to ask on a forum
im young and need help

Paperboy,
We all know you're young and we all appreciate that you have a heightened anticipation for your first trip, but the forum should not be treated as a Chat Room, either. You should do your research BEFORE throwing up a post, as many of your questions have been well addressed in the past here and in other forums online. There are also resources such as Lonely Planet and Wikitravel, not to mention Utopia and Dreaded Ned.

First off, you should have thought out all of the questions you might want answered and combined them in a singular, well considered posting topic (even so, you could have searched the forum for ALL of your questions and gotten dozens of relevant bits of good information that would have saved you time).

Secondly, once you posted your first topic, you had at your disposal many PM possibilities with other, receptive and helpful members, such as Beachlover and Scottie. Simple questions could have been dealt with enlisting these fellows.

Lastly, Hereforme's point should be well taken: If everyone posted a new topic frivilously we'd get people starting threads like 'Which brand of condoms is best for short boys?', 'Which 7 11 in Sunee has Tropicana orange juice' or silly topics such as how cute someone's avatar is. Do you see that?

bucknaway
January 5th, 2010, 07:22
Paperboy until the moderators on a board tell you stop posting than I suggest you ignore those that chose to help you by not helping you.

Ignore the complaints and insults and talk to those who want to help you and others who may benefit from any advice given.

If they don't like your posts there are others for them to read. It is no hardship for them to click the back button and return to the thread selection screen.

As far as when to book. I tend to give myself 8 to 6 weeks to book my room once I am sure of when and where I will be in Thailand and only after I purchased my air tickets.

If where you want to stay is very popular than I would book ASAP.

If you have a Credit Card that lets you generate a one time use number than I would use that to book the room and hold it until you arrive.

lonelywombat
January 5th, 2010, 07:43
Paperboy ignore the expats who believe this board is for them to bitch and moan about the petty grievances.

They have no life and cannot be taken serious

To avoid this crap. Go to the top right hand corner this page and look for User Control Panel

Open that and look for the foes

Type in the name of the people that are giving you negative responses

Voila, often one person listed in foes can change your opinion of this board overnight

Hint Hint

January 5th, 2010, 08:02
Paperboy ignore the expats who believe this board is for them to bitch and moan about the petty grievances.

What a weird bit of advice for an experienced board member to give considering the fact that we have FOUR THREADS going on this board started by a new member who joined up just THREE DAYS ago.

Boy, this guy has ISSUES, doesn't he boys? I can understand Paperboy's, as he's new here, but Lonelywombat must have been traumatized by others here many a times to step up and look so stupid here.

I've never used the feature to block posts from a member, but I think I've found one that warrants using it the first time- and it's not you, Paperboy, or even you, GF sweetheart.

Talk about someone who should get a life!

bucknaway
January 5th, 2010, 08:20
Back on topic....

Have you considered renting a condo or a service apartment in Thailand. There are even rental places on craigslist. I have never used craigslist but I am sure there are some here who have.

When I was in Pattaya I rented a condo and that was one of my best room stays I have had when in Pattaya. Balcony, Kitchen, Refrigerator and no hotel staff to strut your guests in front of before you take them to your room to read the bible.

Service Apartments are similar to a condo rental only they have staff similar to a hotel.

January 5th, 2010, 08:33
Re: hotel what u think???
Author: paperboy ┬╗ Sat 2 Jan, 2010 7:24 pm

once again thankyou very much

I was really looking for a nice hotel rather than a apartment.
The location is important to me, want to be near the gay life ect.
does anyone recomend a good hotel at a reasonable price. not cheep but not expensive,
normally pay about 50 euros a night, thats about 2400 bahts a night, in other parts of the world.
any help would be great, im only there for 2 weeks so a long rentle is not what im looking for.
thankyou very much

paperboy

Yes, bucknaway, he HAS considered it. All of three days ago when we went through all of this the first time, with Pattaya hotels.

gay-thailand/hotel-what-think-t18936.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand/hotel-what-think-t18936.html)

If you'd been reading all of his threads, you would understand the irritation of some of the board members who have been trying to help him by informing him that a) the information he seeks is already widely archived here and b) pointed him to many other resources to help him plan a great trip. Hey, I'm all for helping people, and have contributed my fair share, but now I'm wondering, given how Paperboy has gone about this, whether it's not just a troll out there toying with the forum for giggles.

bucknaway
January 5th, 2010, 08:37
So what good is it for you to hunt his post if your not going to offer anything that may be useful to another reader on the board?

January 5th, 2010, 08:43
Now that's a good point. I've offered him lots of what I think is good advice, helped to point him to other resources both on this forum and elsewhere, sent him a couple of PM's with more kindly advice.

I guess I should follow my own advice. Thanks for reminding me!

January 5th, 2010, 10:41
sorry to all forum members
but its my 1st time in thialnd and i need help

paperboy
Dont be sorry paperboy.
I cant understand myself why some people in here are abusive as I thought forums were designed to help each other (as is the case in http://www.gaytingtong.com which is another Thailand forum, and to be honest, does not have any of the agro I have seen written in here and everyone is very supportive of each other)
I was once in your shoes - heading to Thailand for the 1st time and probably had the same sort of questions. I have been there many many times now.
None the less, everytime I go to Thailand, which is usually April until around August, as that is when i can get my holidays from work (plus its winter time here in Australia, it is usually a lot quieter so booking anything too far in advance is not required. (plus the hotels etc. usually have much better deals during the off season)
My Thai partner and I usually book our accomodation 2-4 weeks in advance.
Im not sure where you live but I also keep an eye out on plane flight specials a few months before heading off as they usually are cheaper due to not as many tourists that time of year.
Please feel free to ask any other questions you have as I am sure me and many others enjoy imparting some of our knowledge.
Cheers and have a great time.
Steve, Adelaide, South Australia

January 5th, 2010, 11:06
hello paperboy
pattaya will not be full in june - impossible
so i always find best deal by walking into the hotel n ask what can they do today
so my advice
just book 1 or 2 nights now that will give you time to walk arond and find somewhere else

TrongpaiExpat
January 5th, 2010, 11:28
Hi billy boy, whoops, I mean Paper boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let these naysayers get you down. I though you stayed at Monty's???????????????????? Oh well, have a good time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 5th, 2010, 11:54
You too? My thoughts EXACTLY.

The board has been played like a fiddle by 'paperboy'. He must get quite a chuckle out of roping in people like LonelyWombat.

FIGURES. No one, no matter how inexperienced, can be so clueless. Mr. Google is your friend...

luvthai-2
January 5th, 2010, 12:46
Best to book aroom for a night or so and look around and then book the rest of your stay

January 5th, 2010, 16:07

I've usually booked through an agency with Thai hotels and never been charged a joiners fee.

Glad to hear it - but I've seen it with my own eyes so it does happen. Welcome Plaza in Pattaya is a prime example.

Beachlover
January 5th, 2010, 17:30
Fair enough. I might be an exception... as I have never been charged a joiners fee anywhere... even at places where board members say they've been charged. And I've stayed at all kinds of places... from 700 baht dumps to 5-star.

I think they might be inclined to charge joiners for caucasions... or maybe if they think you're with what they think looks like a "working boy" (i.e. much older guy with younger Thai).

January 6th, 2010, 00:12
In low season I imagine you could book now or wait.
You could even book somewhere for the first night or two, then decide where to stay for the rest of the trip after that.

This is a perfectly reasonable question. When you get tired of the hostile responses here, there are other forums around (see link). Some people think this forum is just for mindless bitching, rather than exchange of useful information.

URL Text (http://www.gaytingtong.com/index.php?sid=ed10d02d313d892758d5f34ee77b9791)

lonelywombat
January 6th, 2010, 05:27
It is pathetic anyone continues to reply to this post! Look at his previous post "Hotel What You Think?" :8(

When is enough...enough?

Enough is enough hereforme When are you going to stop bitching.

I have had several PMs with the poster and exchanged the info he was seeking. What a pity that cheap charlies and cheap shots have become the norm for what once was a vibrant and welcoming forum

allieb
January 6th, 2010, 12:05
It is pathetic anyone continues to reply to this post! Look at his previous post "Hotel What You Think?" :8(

When is enough...enough?

Enough is enough hereforme When are you going to stop bitching.

The answer to that is never. He's even taken the trouble to start a new post about paying too much ( $5 ) for a gin and tonic.

paperboy
January 6th, 2010, 17:19
Hi everyone
i never started the post]
The answer to that is never. He's even taken the trouble to start a new post about paying too much ( $5 ) for a gin and tonic

I was saying its very cheep in thailand compared to spain
thats all

thankyoui

p.s. once again post been highjacked

January 6th, 2010, 18:59
Re: book now or wait????????????????????????
Author: lonelywombat ┬╗ Mon 4 Jan, 2010 8:43 pm

To avoid this crap. Go to the top right hand corner this page and look for User Control Panel

Open that and look for the foes

Type in the name of the people that are giving you negative responses

Voila, often one person listed in foes can change your opinion of this board overnight

Hint Hint
Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

lonelywombat
Golden Member

Lonelywombat, sagely, warned the newbie on the board against putting up with those dastardly regular posters, suggesting that our new member 'block' anyone who questioned the sincerity of his posts.

I got this PM from 'Paperboy' a while ago in response for my PM to him about airport transfer from BKK to PATTAYA. I think it speaks for itself. 1) Advice to PB to do his own research was certainly in order for board members direct him so. 2) He's either not very smart or someone toying with the board.

I directed him to starting a new thread (which I hope he does...just what we need) or PM'ing Lonelywombat, his champion.

Re: airport transfere
Sent: Wed 6 Jan, 2010 7:27 am
To: jacklipton

hi
can you tell me please
is there an airport near pattaya, and can i book flights on the net for it

thankyou

paperboy

January 6th, 2010, 19:19
Oh, and if you still 'heart' Paperboy, I simply googled his own request: airports near pattaya

It generated and explosion of U Tapao and related links. Within seconds PB would have had more information than he could ever handle. Here's a guy from SPAIN, flying to THAILAND, and there's only one destination it's even possible to utilize: Bangkok. He request a TAXI reference to Pattaya, knows from board advice that it's only 90 minutes by car, then is wondering if there is an airport 'near pattaya'.

There is one. The one that he asked for taxi transfer advice from on his very own thread.

Beachlover
January 6th, 2010, 19:23
Paper Boy is an old troll of this board... used to be called Andyinoz... and (before my time) Bad Boy Billy, apparently.

He has a bit of a sick mind... as evidenced by his PMs to Smiles.

January 6th, 2010, 21:30
BL...when you say PM to Smiles, he also sent them to Lonelywombat, his hero. Are they, too, one and the same? lol

I'm reluctant to brand any new poster with being an old board antagonist, but this one was so easy to spot. Many of the board's old hands were right on top of it and called him out, as they should.

Perhaps some of the more experienced people here should hold their fire when the regulars are vetting new posters, rather than eagerly encouraging newbie posters to disrespect those that have tried to protect the board.

Lonelywombat has zero credibility after encouraging the new poster to block those that questioned his credentials. He should apologize to the board.

paperboy
January 7th, 2010, 06:20
hi everyone

yes i am new to this board, i might sometimes come accross thick and stupid sometimes, im sorry for that.
I am genuin and wanted some advice and help thast all.

if you want a link to my recon profile pm me for it.
the reason i was asking about the airport, was
i was looking to see if and where i could fly to from pattaya
i put in thia airways and nothing came up for pattaya so i ask the forum.
ive had a pm message and have see the site that i need to see thankyou
i will be in pattaya from 26th may until the 3rd june, if anyone want to meet me

thanks
paperboy

January 7th, 2010, 09:16
Paperboy,

It's not about you being thick and stupid as it is your unwillingness to take the advice of others and help yourself. We aren't trying to drive you from the board (if you're sincere) but the forum has had many incidences with mischievous and malevolent members who've been scorned in the past who toy with the board for their own pleasure.

The fact that it seemed as if you never followed, yet alone acknowledged, advice on using the Forum's search function, Google or resources that are at your fingertips before embarking on threads and posting questions had a huge impact on your credibility with regular members. The precise reason the search function is available to you is to avoid endless regurgitation of commonly available information. You would have appeared far more credible had you researched the forum than asked questions about your findings, to see if the information was current. In all of your posts, it doesn't appear that you ever acknowledged any of the advice you were given.

JL

January 9th, 2010, 13:42
It becomes very annoying to read this board and constantly see some of you constantly referring to an old posting name(badboybilly) that has not been used for nearly 3 years nor has the poster with that former name posted on here since that time .
I think the last was in late 2007.
And I am 100% per cent positive of that.
It makes me wonder why some of you still remember this.?

I doubt the newish posters,(2008/2009) Andyinoz ,paperboy etc, understand what you are talking about when you accuse them of being this former poster as it was before their time.

As I said , I am 100% sure that no posts have been made by the former poster who last used that name I believe around 2007 or so.

Could we please stop referring to the above former posting name nor make anymore unsubstaniated allegations.

Contrary to what Lonely Wombat alleges,I doubt whether the former poster referred to ,(bbb)would of been so low to make threats nor used swearing as much as the new posters seem to do on this board nowadays.
I think somehow he/her would of had a bit more tact .
So to set the record straight the poster has not been active on this board for several years ,so no more alleging new posters or emails etc are from a former poster many moons ago.

I do apologise for the rant and for those who hold no interest in this,however it becomes increasingly annoying,....and boring, when reading this board to see this former posting name (badboybilly) being constantly brought up to make an accusation against some poor soul such as the OP who innocently asks a question,only to be accused of being the former poster .

I think the last time I saw the former poster referred to,was on Elizabeth Street in the City smiling as he was writing a parking ticket knowing he was doing his bloody duty for the City and showing no interest in this board nor sending emails to anyone on here.
I do realise by reading this board (from time to time)that some of you lead boring lives and the highlight of the day is posting on this board and I would certainly would hate to take the fun out of your day but...............................
.................................................. ......................................... leave the past in the past.

quiet1
January 9th, 2010, 15:45
It becomes very annoying to read this board and constantly see some of you constantly referring to an old posting name(badboybilly) that has not been used for nearly 3 years nor has the poster with that former name posted on here since that time .
I think the last was in late 2007.
And I am 100% per cent positive of that.
It makes me wonder why some of you still remember this.?
And the reason *you* recall him and know for a fact that he has never posted on here since "late 2007" (you even know exactly when he left) is .... ?

Brad the Impala
January 9th, 2010, 16:55
It becomes very annoying to read this board and constantly see some of you constantly referring to an old posting name(badboybilly) that has not been used for nearly 3 years nor has the poster with that former name posted on here since that time.

If you have been reading this board so frequently without ever contributing, do you think that it might have been better if your first post had actually contributed something to the forum, rather than complaining about the quality of the entertainment that us volunteers have been providing so far!

thrillbill
January 9th, 2010, 17:32
1) I would book my flight 2-3 months before the departure date since the prices seem to increase one month or so before (talking about Orbitz or Expedia)
2) I would wait about a month before booking a hotel and I would book it with Agoda. They seem to have the most updated prices and best discounts. If you book a hotel now, the prices may be higher than if you wait until slow season. The hotels in the Silom area that are decent and reasonably priced are: Rose Hotel; Rooms@Silom Hotel; Tawana Bangkok Hotel; Unico Grand; Rose Hotel; Bally Studio; Pinnacle Lupinee Hotel, I Residence and Silom Regent ( a bit small but good location). I have stayed at all of these the last few years and their prices are under 1600 baht- check Agoda for prices (peak season now but reduce by May). Some of the hotels have small pools, others do not. But they are all walking distance to soi 4 and soi 2 (unless you are unhealthy ) I agree, stay away from the international chains...too many families and they do have visitor charges.

paperboy
January 9th, 2010, 18:43
A big big thankyou to thrill bill

i owe you a beer, will get u 1 if u wanted when im over lol
thanks for t he recmendations for the hotels, the hotel i went for is the malaysia
Do you know it??? its very cheep, just under 1000 bahts a night for deluxe and has pool and also seems to be in the middle of the gay life. i liked the tarntawana hotel but more expensive and no pool.

once again thanks to all the lovely people who have helped this new poor sod

paperboy

January 9th, 2010, 19:18
I do apologise for the rant and for those who hold no interest in this,however it becomes increasingly annoying,....and boring, when reading this board to see this former posting name (badboybilly) being constantly brought up to make an accusation against some poor soul such as the OP who innocently asks a question,only to be accused of being the former poster .

Friend, I find this whole episode bizarre. I'm rather new to the board and had NO underlying reason to judge Paperboy by anything other than the way he went about engaging the forum for his information. My objections, and they continue to this day (Paperboy has not even now offered up what finally decided to do after a week of polling members here..the fruits of his search, so to speak...so others could benefit from his investment in forum time), revolve 100% around the manner in which he initiated and interacted with the board. He didn't do the simplest research. He didn't follow any of the advice offered by seasoned board participants. His whole reaching out only appeared when some of our more indulgent members offered up a defense of his naivety. I'm perplexed, in reviewing all of his post that not ONCE did he go 'OH YEAH, CHECKED THAT OUT BUT DO YA THINK IT'S REALLY THAT KOOL'?? No follow up feedback. NO, 'I found this and I'm not sure about it (because I'm so neeeeewwww!).

Other longtime members have stated plainly that Paperboy is a troll. An avatar for a former malevolent member that has a long trail of misdeeds at the expense of several members and the board in general. I don't have a dog in that fight, but if you combine my instincts, along with many others such as Brad and Hereforme, it adds up to a board consensus that this dude has either not gone about interacting with the board in a proper way, at BEST, or he is a persona non grata that has been trapped trying to dupe the board.

New members, such as you, signing up to offer your take at first blanche, are to be commended for caring enough to contribute, but the bottom line is that the history of the board, and its ability to protect itself from people like andyinoz, amongst others, is singularly important to US. It may offend your sense of fairness right off, but I can assure you that if steps aren't undertaken to vet 'new' posters such as Paperboy this, and any forum, would become a farce.

At the end of the day, I evaluated and judged Paperboy entirely on the way he used the forum. He started four threads on subjects that have been widely archived here and never replied or contributed forward on ANY of the advice he was given by board members (on the forum) which is why he arose such suspicion in the first place. It's as if he already knew the answers and only was posing questions for maximum retaliatory effect on members that might have been suspicious.

I still await his summing up of travel plans he made with the benefit of the forum, which he grandly trumpeted with his 'THANK YOU' thread, the fifth.

Beachlover
January 9th, 2010, 21:28

So if you're a regular member... then who are you? (Obviously not this handle as it is your first post as this handle).

If you're not a regular member but have been reading without contributing... why should we care what bores you?

francois
January 9th, 2010, 23:17
A big big thankyou to thrill bill
i owe you a beer, will get u 1 if u wanted when im over lol
thanks for t he recmendations for the hotels, the hotel i went for is the malaysia
Do you know it??? its very cheep, just under 1000 bahts a night for deluxe and has pool and also seems to be in the middle of the gay life. i liked the tarntawana hotel but more expensive and no pool.
once again thanks to all the lovely people who have helped this new poor sod
paperboy

What is interesting about paperboy is his use of fractured English. He spells the difficult words correctly and misspells the easy ones. Check out his posts.
He says he is from Spain and one assumes he speaks Spanish. Yet he writes the English word "recommendations" or Spanish word "recommendacions" as "recmendations". A troll for sure.

January 11th, 2010, 10:44
Re: book now or wait?
Author: hereforme ┬╗ Sat 9 Jan, 2010 2:50 pm

Well there seems to be an agreement here MODERATOR PLEASE END THIS POST! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH It does not matter who he is.Time to move on....You reckon?

Hear hear! Agreed.

January 11th, 2010, 11:49
So if you're a regular member... then who are you? (Obviously not this handle as it is your first post as this handle).Copper Pheel, who else?

francois
January 12th, 2010, 00:01
Well there seems to be an agreement here MODERATOR PLEASE END THIS POST! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH :notworthy: It does not matter who he is.Time to move on....You reckon?

paperboy
January 12th, 2010, 00:59
sorry
but it matters to me who i am

im paperboy

my profile is on recon

vanek333
January 13th, 2010, 05:03
Hey Bud
To be honest at that time of the year I would book two nights and then look around, its incrediably cheaper once your on the ground and you can get some unique accom at very cheap prices, where are you going Phuket, Pattaya ???