PDA

View Full Version : Mid year in Pattaya?

January 2nd, 2010, 15:45
In June 2008 I spent part of one of my two regular trips to Thailand in Pattaya. I've never seen rain like it. At one point the approach to my hotel was 30 cms deep in water and the Second Road and the shops were flooded. An unfortunate British tourist was killed when he was electrocuted by bare wires under the flood water.

I resolved not to visit again at that time of year but having just got back from an extended stay I am keen to return and I wonder what the rainy season etc was like in Pattaya in 2009.

I will be back in Thailand next Christmas/New Year which is by far my favourite time to visit but if I want to avoid getting flooded when would people suggest I might pay a second visit? I usually split my time between Hua Hin and Pattaya. I love the beach and the sea at Hua Hin but I don't like or visit Jomtien.

ceejay
January 2nd, 2010, 16:24
I visited a little later - mid July - last year and hardly saw any rain at all. Looking at this:
http://www.thaizer.com/weather/when-is- ... -thailand/ (http://www.thaizer.com/weather/when-is-the-rainy-season-in-thailand/)
I guess you got above average for June and I got below average for July - the luck of the draw.

January 2nd, 2010, 16:58
Its usually dry from early November onwards.

cdnmatt
January 2nd, 2010, 17:47
The rainy season was, well, rainy... there were the typical flash floods, temporary road closures, etc. Nothing that I'd personally let affect my decision to come or not though. Tens of millions of people in SE Asia manage to get through the rainy season every year without dieing.

Personally, I would almost prefer the low season in Pattaya. It's easier to get around, easier to talk to people, more easy going, etc. That, and there doesn't seem to be as many local scam artist, beggars, and lowlifes mulling around, who in my opinion, make it a more aggressive atmosphere around here.

January 2nd, 2010, 18:55
"and there doesn't seem to be as many local scam artist, beggars, and lowlifes mulling around, who in my opinion, make it a more aggressive atmosphere around here."

Sounds like the local farangs.