PDA

View Full Version : Pa Tong Phuket

jinks
December 29th, 2009, 10:02
The resort is only half full.
Rooms available all over, restaurants half full.
Paradise Complex is very quiet.

Club 17 - The 2 garden rooms are open BUT the building work continues on both sides of the property.

Tangmo - The show is, with the exception of Chien, is all Kathoy the 6 dancing boys are not to be seen.

I will look at the other shows tonight. Only here for 3 days so a full list will not be possible.

quiet1
December 29th, 2009, 18:45
The resort is only half full.
Rooms available all over, restaurants half full.
Paradise Complex is very quiet.
Just wait until more stories lie this hit the international press:

French tourists attacked for parking in 'wrong place'
http://phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=8171

Apparently a 44 year old French tourist had his arm broken (and his elderly father was also beaten up) by a tuk-tuk driver...

Beachlover
December 29th, 2009, 20:47
Stories like this are hitting the international press all the time.... the jet ski incident/s... bar matt Mum (though I wouldn't say she was very clever).... blatent thefts at the Sun Sea Sand Resort in Phuket.... to name a few.

They take a big chunk of tourists by eating away at Thailand's tourist image/revenue bit by bit... but overall, the industry still survives. It's only when there's a REALLY big incident like the airport closures that the effects (from the one incident) are noticeably felt.

Beachlover
December 29th, 2009, 20:49
One Seven sounded great until I looked at the location... Darn... It's too away from the centre of Patong (personal opinion/preference).

December 29th, 2009, 20:59
I would agree, Beachlover, but what of visiting any other location in the world during prime tourist season? Surely mugging, attacks and fleecing are very common in prime Western-oriented tourist destinations, no? Six million people vacation on this island a year, only a few ever experience any kind of violence or criminal activity. At least with the jet ski thing they jumped in and 'solved' the problem rather promptly and efficiently.

When I'm in a foreign country and the native tells me I can't park somewhere I inculcate the fact that I'm the outsider and do everything I can to mollify any potentially negative situation. These people thought they were still in France, and caused the fellow to lose face. Having lived in Thailand for awhile I can see clearly the red flag they were waving in front of the bull here. That doesn't excuse the criminal, but anyone who knows how passive aggressive Thais are can see how the situation escalated. The next shoe to drop will be when the Thais realize that they have to severely and publicly punish this sort of behavior because it will cost them the almighty dollar.

I agree wholeheartedly that the aggregate of the political and tourist problems are damaging Thailand beyond any sane sense. However, they start with the goodwill that they have banked on their well deserved reputation for providing so much comfort to so many of us...sigh... You coming back??? (if you've ever left?)

atri1666
December 29th, 2009, 22:42
One Seven sounded great until I looked at the location... Darn... It's too away from the centre of Patong (personal opinion/preference).

Correct. So i prefer Rendezvous Hotel or Adonis Guesthouse or for longer stays the KN Guesthouse or Andaman Beach Suites.

lonelywombat
December 30th, 2009, 05:22

Correct. So i prefer Rendezvous Hotel or Adonis Guesthouse or for longer stays the KN Guesthouse or Andaman Beach Suites.

Heard that Rendevous had been sold. Anything known, any changes?
Used to enjoy having dinner there and watch the showboys lined up outside Tangmos.
I also liked the convenience of walking out of Tangmos or My Way , walk 25 metres and you are home.

One Seven is just that more difficult to get home to in busy season. The cost of tuk tuk is covered on another thread

There was a confusing over the top thread from LMTU re a new venue replacing Simon Cabaret. At first I thought he was referring to Pattaya but later it seemed to be Phuket.

As I plan to visit soon would appreciate an update

Beachlover
December 30th, 2009, 06:58

Thanks for the heads up... I hadn't heard of Rendezvous or Andaman Beach Suites before... look like good options. I want the Royal Suite at Andaman Beach Suites... it has a sweet jacuzzi on the balcony :P

I stayed at the Royal Paradise last time... it was ok and nice to be high up with a view but after you pay 500baht/day for internet it's not such good value anymore. The service staff are obnoxious but you tend to get that in a lot of places in Phuket... as a big mid-range hotel I assume they put up with a lot of idiots.

bing
December 30th, 2009, 07:07
Jinks, if the Connect Hotel is doing one of their beach party excursions, be sure to sign up for it. They can be a bit wild.

rincondog
December 30th, 2009, 11:20
Heard that Rendevous had been sold. Anything known, any changes?
Used to enjoy having dinner there and watch the showboys lined up outside Tangmos.
I also liked the convenience of walking out of Tangmos or My Way , walk 25 metres and you are home.

Lonelywombat, I think you are confusing Rendevous with another place. You can't see Tangmo from Rendevous. James Dean bar was across from Tangmo. James Dean was sold and is now Sundowner bar.

I think Jinks overestimates the underestimated crowd? I have been in Phuket for the last 5 years during this time period. The crowds in the gay Paradise area are a little less this year. However, good retaurants are generally full during peak times. Yes, there are more rooms still available than in past years. However, the gay beach area seems to have good crowds during the day, doesn't seem much less than previous years.

Beachlover
December 30th, 2009, 11:38
What are these Connect Gay Beach Excursions like?... I noticed them but never been on one.

December 30th, 2009, 11:39
I see several negative comments about Club 17's location. I wonder if anyone remembers why it is where it is?
It used to be right on Patong's beach, a great location until the tsunami swept right through the front door, killing at least one member of staff and wrecking the building. Daniel (the owner/manager) swore to re-open in a safer location, and that is what they did.

Beachlover
December 30th, 2009, 11:41
Goodness... I didn't know that. Sad to hear. The Tsunami was before I ever visited Phuket.

searcher
December 30th, 2009, 15:21

Normally I live at Blue Dolphin when in Phuket. This time I want to try Adonis Guesthouse. Is it situated in the same soi where Mamasan Bar is located?

atri1666
December 30th, 2009, 15:55
http://adonis-phuket.com/

Its located in the same soi as Rendezvous Hotel at the end of the soi. With utopiacard you get good discount.

bing
December 30th, 2009, 20:49
BeachLover- I was in Phuket last May and met one of the greeters at My Way. He spoke English and turned out to be a neat companion to visit James Bond and Phi Phi Islands. The Chinese junk, June Bartha takes all day and is an experience in itself, if you have the time and enjoy sailing, this is the way to go. The Connect Hotel runs a Beach Party excursion, The beach is private with a public beach 1000 yards away but the beach is for the 40 guys on the tirp. There is an open bar for about 3 or 4 hours. Some of the farangs really punish the bar, and the drinks are poured freely, even have drinks delivered to you in the water. Toward the end of the trip some of the guys get a bit randy (nuff said). I brought a cutie from the pool hall in Paradise Complex. His speedo swim suit was the best on the beach and he was the best dancer when they set up a boom box on a table and had an informal disco going for a half hour or so. If you don't have good time on this trip, you will not have a good time this side of heaven or nirvana. I have seen some postings about how bad, Phuket is. They must have visited a different place. I loved every minute, and still have happy memories of my favorite greeter at My Way. I have forgotton what the off price was, but it would have been a bargain at twice the price. Enjoy Phuket.

boy
December 30th, 2009, 21:10
bing, thank you for your nice advice ! Since I will visit Phuket by end of January 2010 - my first excursion there will be through the Connect Hotel to the Gay Island ! Probabely I will see that slim, lovely and hot thaiboy wearing the narrow white swim-pants.

Beachlover
December 30th, 2009, 21:18
Thanks for the tips.

I love Phuket and visit regularly. Like most places in Thailand, Phuket has a few little downsides (as other posts explain)... But no where enough to put me off visiting. I always have an amazing time there... as in Bangkok.

Phuket is incredibly beautiful... I would choose a week there, over a week in Pattaya, Hua Hin, Jomtien or any of the other beach destinations.

December 30th, 2009, 21:25
I've bashed Phuket as I know it too well, but the Connect hotel and bar and its wonderful owners are the saving grace of the Paradise Complex. My first visit, years ago, was economical and came with free wifi and ethernet that was at the time a luxury. Their rooms are well appointed, clean and nifty for cruising the prime spot of the complex. I'm at a loss that they don't pop up more as the 'in place'. I love the place and the location can't be beat: even today, every time, I make my way to their restaurant to start the night's cruising. Their 50 baht draft beers are the cheapest in town, and the staff is charming and accommodating.

I'm puzzled why they end up being omitted from posts as to the best places in Phuket.

By the way, Superboys and its across-the-soi comrade karaoke are charming once again. Just don't ride the tuk tuks!

January 1st, 2010, 10:00
Jinks, if the Connect Hotel is doing one of their beach party excursions, be sure to sign up for it. They can be a bit wild.

Yes, this is very true.
Although I have never stayed in one of the rooms at Connect I have spend alot of time there in the past. My Thai partner knows all the staff there and they are truely great.
They also do a buffet once a week which is good value and good food.
My Thai partner and I are not huge fans of the Paradise area as we are partners and he doesnt like me getting "chatted up" down the street all the time but its still good fun and the management and staff at Connect always will make you feel welcome

Cheers,
Steve.
Adelaide, South Australia

January 1st, 2010, 10:12

Thanks for the heads up... I hadn't heard of Rendezvous or Andaman Beach Suites before... look like good options. I want the Royal Suite at Andaman Beach Suites... it has a sweet jacuzzi on the balcony :P

I stayed at the Royal Paradise last time... it was ok and nice to be high up with a view but after you pay 500baht/day for internet it's not such good value anymore. The service staff are obnoxious but you tend to get that in a lot of places in Phuket... as a big mid-range hotel I assume they put up with a lot of idiots.

I have also stayed at the Royal Paradise...about 6 months ago now I guess.
Got one of the "long stay" rooms on one of the higher floors during the off season for around 1600B per night inlcuding breakfast.
My Thai partner and I go out of our way to get to know and befriend the house cleaning staff and leave a little tip for them every morning before we head off for the day....its amazing how just been nice etc. can do for the wonderful cleaning and attention to detail this creates.
The breakfast of Royal Paradise is just OK...very bland and not much variety...especially when you are there for a few weeks.

As far as the front counter staff I have certianly encountered a lot better in my numerous stays in Phuket. Mecure and Novotel both had fantastic staff but you get what you pay for as these 2 are more costly than the Royal Paradise.

One of the best places I stayed at was Baan HongThong GuestHouse which is just behind the firestation and police HQ. Was really cheap (700B per night off season). Really nice rooms etc. BUT since me and my partner stayed there the place is under new management from New Zealand. It was run by Thai staff and you got the whole Thai experience....not sure what it would be like now run by New Zealanders as they have probably have westernised it somewhat and I dont go to Thailand twice a year just to be back in a "western" style hotel etc.

Cheers,
Steve
Adelaide, South Australia

Beachlover
January 2nd, 2010, 17:53
Baan HongThong GuestHouse looks great. Free WiFi as well.

Only downside is the rooms look like they don't get much natural light and not much of a work desk... shame they didn't design it with the bathrooms on the inside so there could be more windows.

Beachlover
January 2nd, 2010, 17:56
Ironically, for the Land of Smiles... I don't think I ever saw the the front desk staff at Royal Paradise smile... it was more like a grimace. I think I managed to get one of them to almost initiate a smile once but it might have been a nervous twitch.

Smiles
January 3rd, 2010, 09:13
I see several negative comments about Club 17's location. I wonder if anyone remembers why it is where it is?
It used to be right on Patong's beach, a great location until the tsunami swept right through the front door, killing at least one member of staff and wrecking the building. Daniel (the owner/manager) swore to re-open in a safer location, and that is what they did.
Exactly. We were booked into Club 17 one week after the tsunami hit on Boxing Day. Quite a sobering bit of TV viewing happening that week.
Obviously some major postponing went on after that puppy wrecked everything ... though it did heighten my standing with my old man who took our booked dates as hugely auspicious for our future life together.

We eventually ended up getting to Patong in April rather than January and walked along the beach to see what had become of the Hotel Club 17. There had been a huge amount of rebuilding and heavy construction during those frantic 4 months, and frankly, if you didn't look exceedingly hard ~ and were from Mars ~ you might have never guessed anything so catastrophic had happened.
The Club 17 was not knocked down, but it was still a shell of a place that April. Seemingly abandoned, forlorn, gutted, surrounded by green shielding flapping in the ocean breeze. It did not look as if anyone wanted to spend any time with the sad ghosts who lived there now.

Smiles
January 3rd, 2010, 09:21
You're right: EDITED away.

January 3rd, 2010, 09:25
What a coincidence. April that year was the first time visiting Phuket for me and I remember the scene well. Place was dead, and all those fricking red tuk tuks STILL weren't willing to cut a deal! So every single square inch of curb in Patong was covered with either touts or red tuk tuks. It was surreal.

I think 'awesome' is just his generation's version of lovely (Brit) or cool (American). Or even 'kup'...

Beachlover
January 3rd, 2010, 11:39
Tuk Tuks still weren't willing to cut a deal... Really? Unbelievable.

I thought this "tuk tuk mafia" thing only came into being a couple of years ago... when I first visited Phuket a couple of years ago, I did find tuk tuk drivers (though only one or two out of many) willing to offer a "fair" price.

After that visit and ever since... they have stood their ground and I've accordingly blocked out their existence from my mind.

January 4th, 2010, 04:53
I think I've heard that Rendesvouz have been in another location before where they also had a nice restaurant. Now they are in the soi in to Paradise. The location is very good, less then 5 minutes walk to all the bars. They serve breakfast, drinks and some snacks in the lobbyarea. There is always a lot going on in the soi, with many small shops, laundries and hairstudios so you are entertained if you sit outside for breakfast or a drink (they have free internet there also). I stayed 3 weeks last year and the rooms is nice and staff is very friendly. Reception close at 8pm so you have your own key and no problems to bring guests to your room.