PDA

View Full Version : I get the "clap" everyday in Pattaya

aussie_
December 23rd, 2009, 22:41
Every time I walk outside my condo in Pattaya there are motorcylcle taxi guys about 10 metres away at the Family Mart loudly clapping their hands above their heads.

I like to walk to nearby places or catch a baht bus but everytime I go out they perform this routine. I find it a mixture of amusing and annoying, they scared the hell out of me the first time it happened and still does after a late night out. :glasses7:

cdnmatt
December 23rd, 2009, 23:07
I don't know if I'd call them scary, but yes, they like to clap. :-)

December 23rd, 2009, 23:17
Every time I walk outside my condo in Pattaya there are motorcylcle taxi guys about 10 metres away at the Family Mart loudly clapping their hands above their heads.

I like to walk to nearby places or catch a baht bus but everytime I go out they perform this routine. I find it rather annoying and they scared the hell out of me the first time it happened and still does after a late night out. :glasses7:

Just clap back and smile they will not bite you.....................

aussie_
December 24th, 2009, 07:00
Frankly, you should be greatful that anyone acknowleges you at all :bounce:

I just hope the money boys don't follow this trend or it will sound like World War 3 in the streets of Pattaya.

I will smile and do a little dance for the taxi guys next time I walk past. After two weeks they all know that I do not rquire their services so they can save their energy, the clapping ritual has become a habit for them, they do it even if they do recognise you.

At least I have not been ripped off by the taxi guys in Pattaya, they usually charge a fair price and most that I have used drive safely.

December 24th, 2009, 08:14
These guys are just trying to get your custom. Nothing worrying about that, just keep taking the clap medicine.

jimnbkk
December 24th, 2009, 20:31
It's the Thai way of yelling "hey you". They want you to hire them. Just smile (that's important) and shake your head 'no'.

December 25th, 2009, 18:36
It's the Thai way of yelling "hey you".

It's NOT the Thai way. Please don't overgeneralize. I'm Thai, and I don't think clapping is a polite way to engage a prospective customer.

December 25th, 2009, 20:26
It's the Thai way of yelling "hey you".

It's NOT the Thai way. Please don't overgeneralize. I'm Thai, and I don't think clapping is a polite way to engage a prospective customer.

Absolutely true.
They grab their customers by the crotch and stick their tongues down their throat ... and that's just in the supermarkets :thumbleft:

Doug
December 25th, 2009, 21:51
I have my own motorcycle but Ialways try to develop a good rapport with the local motocy taxi guys. I bow at their clapping. I joke with them asking "How much to Nong Kai"?
In the main, I believe that they are among the best at deterring criminal activity against farangs. Many time I've seen them hurry to assist a farang in distress.
I just wish I didn't have to clutch my St. Christopher's medallion so tightly when riding with them.

December 25th, 2009, 22:04
In the main, I believe that they are among the best at deterring criminal activity against farangs. Many time I've seen them hurry to assist a farang in distress.

Agreed - for farangs and Thais alike. Quite a few are volunteer police and carry police radios (but with no connection to the uniformed police volunteers), and a few are undercover police.

aussie_
December 30th, 2009, 10:08
As I left my condo last night one of the motorcycle taxi guys ran across the soi, yelled out "Welcome to Thailand" and wrapped his arms around me and sang a song in english about beautiful Thailand and Pattaya. It was a rather unexpected but enjoyable encounter.

January 1st, 2010, 03:11
Just clap back and smile they will not bite you.....................Not on the first date, anyway.