PDA

View Full Version : Deaf Mute Guy selling the handmade cards

December 21st, 2009, 13:51
Before I start nattering on this is about the mute and deaf young man with the great warm smile who sells the handmade cards on Jomtien Beach and around Pattaya.

The Jomtien тАЬcity hall policeтАЭ who seem to be responsible for тАЬarrestingтАЭ the roaming beach vendors (ice cream, videos, food, fruit and etc.) have been quiet most of the year but the last 3 days they have been out in force rounding up the beach vendors on Jomtien beach. Today seemed to be worse, now on with the story.

The young man selling the cards stopped at a friends chair and the тАЬcity hall policeтАЭ showed up and proceeded to look inside the young manтАЩs shoulder bag and removed envelopes and some of the handmade cards, he indicated to the young man he should go back with him to be ticketed and pay the fine (or whatever you call the exchange of money).

On to the upbeat side; several people in my section were displeased with the police taking the guys cards. Several of us gave the man money to pay his fine; his smile of thanks was great to see and was genuine тАУ I believe I saw people in another section give him money also.

Great to buck city hall sometimes!

Impulse
December 25th, 2009, 11:22
Maybe this is similar to the birds in the cage scam.Pay the man to release the birds and they come right back to the cage.Maybe they split the money at the end of the day and have a nice laugh at the expense of the farangs. There seems to be so many scams going on is it really so implausible?

December 25th, 2009, 12:51
Sanyo,
Are you "OfficeMax" or another copy & paster?

Gay Thailand Forum (http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4948-deaf-mute-guy-selling-the-handmade-cards/) :laughing3:

December 25th, 2009, 18:28
Maybe this is similar to the birds in the cage scam.
:boxing: Maybe this is legit. I dunno. Legitimacy is kinda a myth, I guess. From my experience, some employees in reputable NGOs spend donation money as though they were millionaires. Not much can be said when schemes are running in the background.

December 25th, 2009, 18:35
Re: Deaf Mute Guy selling the handmade cards
Author: rocket ┬╗ Fri 25 Dec, 2009 12:22 am

Maybe this is similar to the birds in the cage scam.Pay the man to release the birds and they come right back to the cage.Maybe they split the money at the end of the day and have a nice laugh at the expense of the farangs. There seems to be so many scams going on is it really so implausible?
A countries greatness is judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi

rocket
Veteran Member

No. I don't think this is the case. I know the guy well and he doesn't fit the type that would be a party to such a scheme. There was a crackdown and the cops do what they do...take evidence and release it at some later point. Sympathies for the vendor are natural and I'm sure the guy can use all the help he can get. The guy is sweet and I actually have bought quite a few cards from him, which are cool.

December 25th, 2009, 18:47
I know the guy well and he doesn't fit the type that would be a party to such a scheme.

Don't be so sure about that. :blackeye: Money is a very powerful influence. My philosophy is: be cautious, but don't be wary of doing what is right.

Shuee
December 27th, 2009, 21:32
being thailand i wouldnt be surprised if the card seller works for the police, they do the scam at several sections until they reach the end of the vast rows of chairs at the end of the beach, then they split the money at the end 80/20 of course!!! :rolling:

Are you telling me those poor birds that get almost shaken to death actually want to get back in those small cages?

December 28th, 2009, 22:14
No..I've known this guy for a few years. He is sweet and about as innocuous as any vendor could ever be. There is *no chance* he is in cahoots with the police. The guy is hearing impaired and handicapped because of that. The police no doubt are looking for easy marks, and he is an easy target.

Those that visit the chairs on Jomtien beach know this fellow well. I expect that he will be fully supported. I can't think of a single vendor on the beaches that would be a party to such a scheme, as only a new face would spark suspicion.

December 30th, 2009, 14:31
patrick66 yes both are my posts, now I would hope you are relieved I did not cut and paste from another poster - as some have been guessed to do so here.