PDA

View Full Version : thai things that mystify

thaiguest
December 18th, 2009, 13:52
Here are a few things Thai that puzzle me. Not in any order of importance. I'm sure you can add to the list;

A motor bike taxi helmet has never given me headlice.
Thai street food hasn't killed me nor even made me ill.
No matter how many phones a thai boy has stolen from him he always has your number.
Thai dogs never get run over while sleeping on the road.
Thai motor bikes always expand to suit the size of the family.
That thai school uniforms can be so white.
No matter what you say or do a thai landlord will never refund a deposit.
Isarn girls in the beer bars are so loud and screechy while the Isarn beer-bar boys are so quiet.

December 18th, 2009, 15:55
If you can't figure those out, you haven't been in LOS long enough, and I'd imagine that Thais have plenty of things that mystify them about us crazy farangs.

DCbob
December 18th, 2009, 22:10
Here are a few things Thai that puzzle me. Not in any order of importance. I'm sure you can add to the list;
Thai street food hasn't killed me nor even made me ill.
Thai motor bikes always expand to suit the size of the family.
No matter what you say or do a thai landlord will never refund a deposit.
Isarn girls in the beer bars are so loud and screechy while the Isarn beer-bar boys are so quiet.

I have always gotten my deposit back.
Motor bikes have even accommodated 3 when I was aboard.
Never been able to apply one size fits all for the Thai boy/girl professionals.
Love the street food, have gotten sick at the more upscale restaurants.

Now I pack and come back. Leave here on 31 arrive there 2nd of January.

cdnmatt
December 18th, 2009, 23:00
They always seem to (at least try to) view life from a positive angle. They try to consume their thoughts with the good things in life, instead of the bad things.

Such an anti-Western thing to do!

catawampuscat
December 19th, 2009, 01:41
It mystifies me how some farangs generalize and stereotype Thai people.. Sort of makes me think
of how the neo-conservatives write about gay men and how is turns out to just be a way of
being prejudiced and feeling superior, while trying to be humorous.

My Thai landlord was a dream and a pure pleasure to deal with.. I got back my security deposit in cash
without any difficulty and she couldn't have been better.. :headbang:

Okay, the Thai (money) boys do seem to have the lost mobile phone syndrome and somehow don't lose your
tel. #.
Once a Thai guy whom I bought a mobile for, told me he lost it.. When we when to the same mobile
phone vendor and I pointed to the same model, he told me he wanted one with bells and whistles..
I declined his suggestion and we didn't purchase a new phone.. I was suspicious and called him on
his lost phone and he answered.. He later claimed he had taken the SIM card out but only a love-sick
fool would have believed his lame excuse..
A while later he 'borrowed' a couple of thousand baht and needless
to say it turned out to be his going away gift, even thou he didn't quite see it that way..

thrillbill
December 19th, 2009, 07:56
It mystifies me how some farangs generalize and stereotype Thai people.. Sort of makes me think
of how the neo-conservatives write about gay men and how is turns out to just be a way of

My Thai landlord was a dream and a pure pleasure to deal with.. I got back my security deposit in cash

Okay, the Thai (money) boys do seem to have the lost mobile phone syndrome and somehow don't lose your
tel. #.
Once a Thai guy whom I bought a mobile for, told me he lost it.. When we when to the same mobile
phone vendor and I pointed to the same model, he told me he wanted one with bells and whistles..
I declined his suggestion and we didn't purchase a new phone.. I was suspicious and called him on
his lost phone and he answered.. He later claimed he had taken the SIM card out but only a love-sick
to say it turned out to be his going away gift, even thou he didn't quite see it that way..

On this forum, it is always "dangerous" to make generalizations/ observations since a few serious critics (cynics?) will rip the member's comment apart-- even if it is just for fun. Most of us "average Joes" will understand that what is being said is not always 100% true. For example, if I said, "Thais like to eat spicy food and rice." There would be some member who would make a big essay on how his Thai bf does not eat rice or spicy food and how ONE time he knew a Thai that ate steak and potatoes...that I was stereotyping..." Yes, there are exceptions. :drv:

krobbie
December 19th, 2009, 16:35
Chill Bill! Tis the season to be jolly falalalala la la la la ...

Your right ... of course. There's always one who wishes to remain overly correct. Me ... I think it's PC gone mad.

Cheers
krobbie :tard:

thaiguest
December 20th, 2009, 13:05

tel. #.

On this forum, it is always "dangerous" to make generalizations/ observations since a few serious critics (cynics?) will rip the member's comment apart-- even if it is just for fun. Most of us "average Joes" will understand that what is being said is not always 100% true. For example, if I said, "Thais like to eat spicy food and rice." There would be some member who would make a big essay on how his Thai bf does not eat rice or spicy food and how ONE time he knew a Thai that ate steak and potatoes...that I was stereotyping..." Yes, there are exceptions. :drv:

But it's part of the fun baiting the pc idiots. I'm convinced they've all left all for farangland by now with little else to do each day than keeping the cat away from the canary...and being a forum pc expert.

cdnmatt
January 2nd, 2010, 14:40
Another common trait I've noticed a little is that many of the Thais I know seem to have anger management issues. 98% of the time they're very happy, peaceful, friendly, and just looking to enjoy life.

Every once in a while though, they'll get pissed off for some obscure reason, which many times doesn't make any sense. When that happens, it's like a little switch flips in their head, and you can completely forget about having any semblance of a rational discussion with them. They're pissed off, nothing's going to change that, so just accept it, give them time to cool down, and worry about it the next day.

Beachlover
January 2nd, 2010, 16:46
This is a common trait, which has always existed with Thais and something people visiting Thailand should be aware of.

The Thais are very calm and peaceful with a long temper... but if they're pushed far enough for their temper to go off it really goes off. This can be really tragic if it involves violence and especially if a firearm is involved.

I don't know... maybe it's the same effect as the "Ned Flanders hold it in" thing (Simpsons episode where Ned goes nuts).

cdnmatt
January 2nd, 2010, 18:12
I don't know... maybe it's the same effect as the "Ned Flanders hold it in" thing (Simpsons episode where Ned goes nuts).

I actually think that's why it is too. In general, Thais are raised to be very open minded, non-judgmental, peaceful, etc. So they naturally lets lots of little things that bug them slide, and every couple weeks or so, they just need to vent it. Alot of times, the argument makes no sense whatsoever, and could be figured with a 30 second talk. But they're not interested in that. They want to be mad.

Thankfully, my guy just sulks, and raises his voice a bit, but that's about it. Sometimes you see / hear Thai ladies giving their farang BF hell, and holy crap... talk about vicious. :-)

Beachlover
January 2nd, 2010, 19:55

I actually think that's why it is too. In general, Thais are raised to be very open minded, non-judgmental, peaceful, etc. So they naturally lets lots of little things that bug them slide, and every couple weeks or so, they just need to vent it. Alot of times, the argument makes no sense whatsoever, and could be figured with a 30 second talk. But they're not interested in that. They want to be mad.

Thankfully, my guy just sulks, and raises his voice a bit, but that's about it. Sometimes you see / hear Thai ladies giving their farang BF hell, and holy crap... talk about vicious. :-)

Hmmm... interesting. So it's a regular routine.

Heh... cute boys can sometimes look even cuter when they're mad if your boyfriend is as cute as you describe him then... :blackeye:

I've heard Thai girls go off at their farang BFs too... mother of god... although looking at some of them it might be more to do with the BF than the girl.

January 2nd, 2010, 22:38
Thailand has one of the highest number of penis amputations in the world, and its not volitionally done. Because of the skills gained in reattaching the 'organ' by Thai surgeons local wives/girlfriends etc., have been known to feed it to the dog after cutting it off just to be sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 3rd, 2010, 00:18
Thailand has one of the highest number of penis amputations in the world, and its not volitionally done. Because of the skills gained in reattaching the 'organ' by Thai surgeons local wives/girlfriends etc., have been known to feed it to the dog after cutting it off just to be sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Technically ts actually called feeding the ducks (http://www.hasekamp.net/observations3.htm), but I'm sure the dogs would have the desired effect.

January 3rd, 2010, 04:10
Technically ts actually called feeding the ducks (http://www.hasekamp.net/observations3.htm), but I'm sure the dogs would have the desired effect.

I stand corrected G.F. perhaps that's where the warning shout 'duck' originated from when being warned of a dangerous flying object approaching.....