PDA

View Full Version : Thai driving licence/option to carrying passport

lonelywombat
December 13th, 2009, 07:17
Last night several expats visiting home for Xmas were at a party and of course life in Thailand was the common subject. One recent retiree claimed the first thing he did was to get a Thai driving licence and it has proved well worth it, as when he is stopped as soon as he shows his licence, he is waved on.

He made the point that it is extremely frustrating and you need to have someone with knowledge of the test with you or you are wasting your time applying. He got a friend from an expat club.

This leads me to two questions.

What is the best way to proceed with getting a Thai licence and are there expats who provide a service in this?

Second if you are carrying a Thai drivers licence, would this suffice the need to carry a copy of your passport.

December 13th, 2009, 07:50
Having a Thai license can be a good substitute for a passport and I use mine often in circumstances that a Thai would use an ID card. I believe however that the letter of the law is that foreigners are required to carry their passports at all times, so that always leaves us open to problems if an official decides to be difficult.
This was the list of requirements that my local land transport office wanted for renewing a Thai D\L l though I think this varies from office to office:
- Original Passport + 2 copies of Visa page and main page
- Doctor's statement + 1 copy
- Address confirmation from Immigration Office or Police station + 1 copy
- Drivers License 1 month before expired

Originally I only took an eyesight test having produced an international drivers permit, and paid a small fee to get m first license, and did not take any other tests. This may have changed. No harm can be done be inquiring at your local land transport department in advance.

mahjongguy
December 13th, 2009, 07:57
- Gettting a license is easy IF you can present a currently valid English-language photo license, because you will not be required to take the driving rules exam nor perform a driving demonstration.

- Having a Thai license is very useful. For example, it's accepted as ID at banks. Need to give someone your address in Thai? It's printed on the back of the license. In general, Thai police seem to give you a certain credibility for possessing it, and it's useful that your passport number is printed on the license.

STILL, the law requires that you "be able to produce" your passport, and each of us has to work out for ourselves how best to comply. I always carry photocopies of the main passport page AND the other pertinent pages, including my 90-day check-in. If I'm detained in a situation that calls for the real thing, then I can rely on the fact that my b/f can get it from the safe and bring it to the station. Obviously, if I go out of town then I take it with me. If, unlike me, you don't have someone who can go fetch your passport then you must consider each situation and decide what to do. If I were single and I was headed out for a night in Sunee then I'd take it with me, probably sewn into my underpants because it's more precious to me than money.

TrongpaiExpat
December 13th, 2009, 10:40
You can not get a Driver's License with a visit visa. You can get a DL with a retirement visa. If you have a DL from your home country you may not have to take the written test, an international DL is better.

The physical and vision tests are not hard and you get three attempts at each test. It helps to know the Thai words for red, yellow and green, that's about all you have to say. If you can't remember three words in Thai then maybe you should not be driving.

This site has useful information but is a little dated, you don't need to take your own photo now. It lists 3 tests, I had 4 a few years ago, missing one of the peripheral visions tests.

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

gerefan2
December 13th, 2009, 19:22
Right then, if you cannot get a driving licence on a tourist visa then how does one drive a motor bike?
I rent a bike for 3 months each year and have never been asked for a licence by anone.
I do hold a UK motor cycle licence and propose to show that if a copper asks for it. God knows what will happen!
Anyone know the rules about motor bikes?
G2

December 13th, 2009, 19:49
You are supposed to have an international driers permit valid for a motorcycle. I think hire shops don't care what license you have so long as they get your money.

December 13th, 2009, 20:09
Right then, if you cannot get a driving licence on a tourist visa then how does one drive a motor bike?
I rent a bike for 3 months each year and have never been asked for a licence by anone.
I do hold a UK motor cycle licence and propose to show that if a copper asks for it. God knows what will happen!
Anyone know the rules about motor bikes?
G2

As previously stated you can not get a Thai driving licence unless you are Resident in Thailand with the right visa, so trying to legally get one on a tourist visa is not possible. Some law firms say that they can get you one but in most cases you will end up with a fake. If you are driving any vehicle in Thailand you either must have a Thai license or an International Driving Permit. Don't believe what the local motor bike hire shop tells you, if you have an accident or get stopped and checked then you might well end up at the very least out of pocket.

December 13th, 2009, 23:45
What is the best way to proceed with getting a Thai licence and are there expats who provide a service in this?

Second if you are carrying a Thai drivers licence, would this suffice the need to carry a copy of your passport.

Q1. As has been said, the procedure for getting a Thai driving licence is very straightforward and, provided you have a Non-Imm or similar visa, most people can read the instructions posted in the Vehicle Licensing Office and don't need any help.

Q2. The law actually states that everybody in Thailand needs to carry an official document proving your identity (it does not specify a passport for foreigners or an ID Card for Thais), so a Thai Driving licence, your passport or a National Identity card are all valid (although you could be asked to produce your passport later to Immgration). Copies of passports, despite what you may be told, are not official documents so are not officially acceptable.

I endorse everything sanook said - you may be able to rent using a foreign licence, and you may even get away with it if stopped by the police, but if you do not have a valid International or Thai licence any insurance you may have is invalid (although I have heard of one instance where a company have paid). It is also worth noting that an International Licence is only valid for 90 days after entering the country, which some living here and not bothering to get a Thai Licence seem unaware of.

Smiles
December 13th, 2009, 23:54
" ... Right then, if you cannot get a driving licence on a tourist visa then how does one drive a motor bike?
I rent a bike for 3 months each year and have never been asked for a licence by anone ... "
You've answered your own question .... nobody's ever asked.

December 14th, 2009, 00:11
" ... Right then, if you cannot get a driving licence on a tourist visa then how does one drive a motor bike?
I rent a bike for 3 months each year and have never been asked for a licence by anone ... "

Wrong, Smiles, in a big way. I thought you didn't drive?

You will be asked if you have an accident, and if you drive in Pattaya you can virtually guarantee that you will be stopped and all your vehicle and personal docs will be checked at some time if you drive regularly.

Smiles
December 14th, 2009, 00:23
Wrong, Smiles, in a big way. I thought you didn't drive?
You will be asked if you have an accident, and if you drive in Pattaya you can virtually guarantee that you will be stopped and all your vehicle and personal docs will be checked at some time if you drive regularly.
I know that. I was referring to gerefan2's specific point that he's never been asked. I didn't say that he'll never be asked ~ he probably will, one of these days. Lots of motorbike renters in Thailand will rent him a motorbike without a drivers licence (my experience ~ many times ~ is that a passport is good enough). For gerefan ... apparently no renter has asked for a drivers licence, and, when driving, no cop has asked to see it.
Having an accident is another issue ... and I agree, then not having a DL I'm sure will be hugely problematical.

gerefan2
December 14th, 2009, 01:03
Smiles is right. Never been asked by a renter to see any licence and fortunatley not been stopped. They usually have the stopping places in exactly the same spots, so perhaps Ive been lucky.
I assume then that a renter should therefore get an Internatonal Driving Licence in his home country before he gets to Thailand?
G2

Brad the Impala
December 14th, 2009, 01:47
I assume then that a renter should therefore get an Internatonal Driving Licence in his home country before he gets to Thailand?

Correct

December 14th, 2009, 11:12
I carry my Thai driving license and passport when driving my car as I think I am more likely to be asked for the passport if I have an accident. I have been driving in Pattaya and Thailand for over 6 years - thankfully without an accident that required the police to be involved. I have been stopped up country at police checkpoints and after showing driving license was waved on (the last time was about 3 years ago - since then, I have gone past several checkpoints, but not been waved over) -- for those that might be interested, I was stopped 4 times going and coming back when I had my first car (red plates) and in 2 of the 4 stops there was a matter of tea money - taken care of by the bf (I found out later that it is apparently an offense to operate a car with red plates outside the province - so technically my Chonburi red plates were not valid in Chaiyaphum and Khorat provinces where the stops took place).

For those that are interested in driving in Thailand, you might find it of interest to visit the Pattaya City Expats Club's newly designed website - a lot of information posted about living in Thailand. This link (http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/living%20vehicles.html) takes you to page which has info on getting a Thai driving license, getting an International Driving Permit, insurance, and some rules of the road (or lack thereof). The information includes what documentation is needed for the first time license, the 5 year license, and subsequent renewals. It also explains how to get the Immigration Residence Certificate, which is one of the documents required to get the license.

They are the Club mentioned by the previous poster that offers driving license assistance. You do not have to be a member to avail yourself of this assistance. Information on it can be found at this link. (http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/clubservices1.html).

December 15th, 2009, 22:47
it is apparently an offense to operate a car with red plates outside the province

Also, technically, an offense to drive a car/motorbike on red plates at night (1800 - 0600) although I have never heard of this being enforced.

December 18th, 2009, 01:17
...I was headed out for a night in Sunee then I'd take it with me, probably sewn into my underpants because it's more precious to me than money.
:laughing3:

sewn into my underpants! :laughing3: well i think there are situations where your underpants could be taken-off and gone! (ie happy bar)

mahjongguy
December 18th, 2009, 07:06
...I was headed out for a night in Sunee then I'd take it with me, probably sewn into my underpants because it's more precious to me than money.
:laughing3:

sewn into my underpants! :laughing3: well i think there are situations where your underpants could be taken-off and gone! (ie happy bar)

If I were ever so unwise as to go alone into Happy Bar and my b/f found out, I'd be losing more than my passport. CHOP!

lonelywombat
December 18th, 2009, 08:36
Thanks to the people that made replies including the PM's.
Several mentioned that one additional advantage of having a Thai driving licence was it made getting a Thai bank account, and credit/debit cards so much easier.

I am in the process of obtaining an International drivers licence for my next visit.

December 20th, 2009, 10:31
When I had went down to get my license, we were told I was exempted from the written and driving, because I had my license from home with me. I was only asked to do the vision and reaction tests.

From what I do know of several friends that have their licenses as well, they seem to vary on the rules from person to person. It was stated that I was exempt from the written test on the articles I read, but still had to do the driving test. I have had friends actually do the driving test, so I am confident that they it does seem to be up to the agent issuing the license, and they might have a list of countries that they exempt from certain tests etc..

It is elaborating on what GF said about the red plates absolutely true, although in a car it differs as you have a log book with the tag, and must document everywhere you are going for if you get pulled over. An offense on this, is a severe fine. And as red tags are only on brand new vehicles, you are going to get hit up for at least 1k baht if you get pulled. In Bangkok they do not have red tags for motorbikes, this is only in Pattaya and other areas. BKK, they just don't give you a tag until your white one is ready. I thought it was weird seeing that at first after living in Patts for near a year myself, but thats just the way it is here.

Getting back to the OP, while it is by most cops sufficient to have the Thai license as opposed to your passport, you should always have a copy of your passport on you at all times. It is illegal not to do so, and many police just don't enforce it. I get stopped carrying my passport, Thai license, and US license, and I have never had to pull my passport copy but one time. The roadblocks here in BKK are brutal, you will get hit going and coming from somewhere as they have the blocks set up on both sides of the road. They will stop you at both, and may speak of different problems than the first time you were pulled, mostly looking for a handout. Bottom line, its illegal to not have it, why take the chance when you can just keep a photocopy inside your wallet. Make sure to keep a copy of your visa as well, so there are no problems if you get a very smart cop that knows the rules very well.

I mean really, for 10-20baht for a copy of your passport and visa page, is it really worth chancing a 200-1000k baht forced payout depending on the cop and if your in a vehicle or not?