PDA

View Full Version : The Thailand / Krakatoa connection ... (on a slow day)

Smiles
December 12th, 2009, 14:56
A hot afternoon today and my poor old nose (i.e. a schnoze of the white/farang, ayran, caucasion, scandanavian, romanesque, Leslie Howard persuasion) was suffering from a foolish overdose of direct seaside sunlight yesterday. Like Rudolph, I needed no nightlight to lead the way to the Christmas Tree at 4AM.

This condition caused me to spend a lazy afternoon today trying to balance a teeny icepack on my nose (not easy), getting some photos organized, a little neglected email answering, a luxurious nap around 1PM, and a little movie watching courtesy of a lush new sofa, True Visions, and our fine big ass flat screen.

Searching through the movie channels I chanced upon a film entitled 'North of Chiang Mai'. Being an Asian movie buff (though not necessarily a Thai movie lover) I tend to be genetically programmed to stop at such gifts and try them out. It turned out not to be an Asian movie at all, but an Australian production with Americans as the Good and Bad guys and Thais playing all their worth as Local Colour.

True Visions kindly includes a small one or two paragraph synopsis of most movies, and this one read: "On a trip to Bangkok an American businessman finds himself out of his depth when he inadvertently crosses the border in(to) Vietnam". Sounds awful and it was . . . awful enough to watch it in it's entirety, transfixed by the cheesiness of the production, the embarrassing acting, and the wretched screenplay: 'Transfixed' as in not being quite able to believe that any director worth his salt would be agreeable to splashing his (real) name across the screen at The End.
The last time I felt this stupified notion to keep watching was during the last mesmerising and mascara-awash 'redemption' show from Jim and Tammy-Fae Bakker.

Anyway ... about that title, and about that synopsis: Do you recall one of the great title faux pas' of cinema history? Yes, I'm referring to the terrific fuck up known as 'Krakatoa: East of Java ' ... the multi-million dollar spectacular which couldn't get it's directions straight. Java is west of the great exploding island.
Never mind that it was as a bad a movie as 'North of Chiang Mai', it's entire claim to fame was that it became a laughing stock before the end of Opening Night.

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=51&image_id=3130

So Vietnam is not 'north' of Thailand, much less Chiang Mai. Granted, the very far west tip of Vietnam could ~ in a strech ~ be considered almost north, but the huge majority of the country is clearly east and south east of the good old LOS. Even giving it up that there exists a Vietnamese tip nearly north, there's quite a good few hundred miles ~ of Laos ~ to get there: i.e. it's very difficult to cross the border "inadvertently" and get there, from here ... trundling north or not.

And that dear sirs, is what one does when one is down and out and feelin' poorly with a small hangover and a large sun-stroked probiscus.

Sen Yai
December 12th, 2009, 15:15
.... I'm referring to the terrific fuck up known as 'Krakatoa: East of Java ' ... the multi-million dollar spectacular which couldn't get it's directions straight. Java is west of the great exploding island.

Smiles, I fear the effects of sun stroke may be greater than you think.

If Java is west of the great exploding island as you claim, then Krakatoa would indeed be East of Java. :tongue3:

http://www.damninteresting.net/content/Krakatoa_map.JPG

Smiles
December 12th, 2009, 15:29
.... I'm referring to the terrific fuck up known as 'Krakatoa: East of Java ' ... the multi-million dollar spectacular which couldn't get it's directions straight. Java is west of the great exploding island. Smiles, I fear the effects of sun stroke may be greater than you think. If Java is west of the great exploding island as you claim, then Krakatoa would indeed be East of Java. :tongue3:
How odd. I had to go Wikipedia-ing on this one, but found the problem. The solution is actually even weirder than the original title embroglio:

The film was photographed in Todd-AO and presented in 70 mm Cinerama in premiere engagements.
Some problems with the film include inaccuracy in detail. Krakatoa is, in fact, west of Java. (Mount Tambora, on Sumbawa, is the violent volcano east of Java). The film was retitled Volcano in later releases. While the film was in production, its makers became aware of the geographic error in its title but used it anyway, apparently believing that this was a more exotic title than "Krakatoa, West of Java". Furthermore, the film aided in popularizing the Krakatoa spelling of the name of the island/volcano, a spelling which is probably based upon a misconception.[2] << http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa,_East_of_Java >>

Sen Yai
December 12th, 2009, 15:44
.... I'm referring to the terrific fuck up known as 'Krakatoa: East of Java ' ... the multi-million dollar spectacular which couldn't get it's directions straight. Java is west of the great exploding island. Smiles, I fear the effects of sun stroke may be greater than you think. If Java is west of the great exploding island as you claim, then Krakatoa would indeed be East of Java. :tongue3:
How odd. I had to go Wikipedia-ing on this one, but found the problem.

I think you just need to be more generous with the tonic. Krakatoa is West of Java so the obvious corollary is that Java is East of Krakatoa. Simples.

bao-bao
December 12th, 2009, 22:41
Like Rudolph, I needed no nightlight to lead the way to the Christmas Tree at 4AM.

Sorry to hear about the burned nose, Smiles.

I saw that glow in the sky and thought it might be the Christmas star arriving a bit early. :cheers: